• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Reds rd1 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep, the Brumbies have quite a few backs bigger than a lot of Aussie forwards.........

Lealiifano is even heavier than McCabe (albeit by 1kg).........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
For reference.........

Matt To'omua
H: 182cm W: 91kg

Christian Lealiifano
H: 179cm W: 95kg

Andrew Smith
H: 194cm H: 104kg

Clyde Rathbone
H: 181cm W: 93kg

Henry Speight
H: 186cm H: 97kg

Jesse Mogg
H: 187cm H: 90kg

Joe Tomane
H: 190cm H: 102kg

Tevita Kuridrani
H: 196cm W: 102kg

T

tranquility

Look at quirks career compared to that of the other players that signed for the reds at the same time. Gill and Shipperly are wallabies, and Schatz probably would have been last year had he not been injured.

6 is one of the more competitive positions in the reds squad, and if Quirk doesn't step up over the next few games, it is pretty reasonable to expect that one of the others is going to get a shot.

That being said I think we have seen too little of him at super rugby level to write him off just yet, and I hope he establishes himself in the next few games.

Ummm. Higgers has been playing his position. What do you expect him to have done differently? Play 7? or maybe somewhere in the backline?

Anyway, I am happy for the rugby to speak for itself. But I am very confident that his chips will be worth considerably more come the end of the season.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/8407/Default.aspx

1. Greg Holmes
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. James Slipper (c)
4. Adam Wallace-Harrison
5. Rob Simmons
6. Eddie Quirk
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Ben Lucas
10. Quade cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Ben Tapuai (vc)
13. Aidan Toua
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Mike Harris

16. Albert Anae
17. James Hanson
18. Ed O'Donoghue
19. Jarrad Butler
20. Nick Frisby
21. Jono Lance
22. Chris F'Sautia

Few surprises. I think if Finger was fit it would have been a 5/2 bench.

T

tranquility

A little forgotten X-factor is that Aidan and Quade were unstoppable together at school.

Aidan is a freakish footy player. Not in the sense that he is a freakish carrier of the ball, or a passer, just a freakish talent who understands the game intimately.

I hope its a factor, and more importantly I hope Aidan gets through the match injury free.

T

TOCC

Good to see Ben Tapuai earn vice captaincy as well, it's a big boost for young fellas like that to be given those roles within the team.

I would have thought Holmes was a VC candidate, but given Slipper was already captain it is probably better to hand it to a back... Two props as Captain and Vice Captain, they would probably be arguing with the ref for a meat pie(literal) throughout the game.

T

TOCC

Quads is billed as 92kg but he weighed in at 87kg for the fight last week...

All players inflate their weight, some of the lads think it's quite comical adding some height and weight.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Quads is billed as 92kg but he weighed in at 87kg for the fight last week.

All players inflate their weight, some of the lads think it's quite comical adding some height and weight.
And quite often fight weigh ins are low as they're trying to make the weight

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Getting pumped for the first brums game of the season, there is no better test as to whether last season was a fluke than to play the Reds. A team who twice made made horses look like Shetland ponies last season. The brums are slightly stronger than last season and the reds are similarly marginally improved, both through experience. Genia's and horwill's absence will hurt the reds but last season they still competed without quooper and horwill (amongst others) for long stretches. The brumbies meanwhile are only missing McCabe who only misses matches when his neck is broken and despite his pedigree wouldn't add a lot to the brums backline bristling with class outside backs and play makers inside.

Brums are favorites, much to links chargrin, but they deserve it. That doesn't mean the reds can't spoil Rathbones comeback. I think the brums will win by 12, but regardless I hope we see running rugby with the forwards setting the platform for both back lines to shine, bring it on!

T

TOCC

Im genuinely more excited about watching Rathbone play his first game in years rather then watching the Reds kick their season off..

With all the professionalism crap, drugs, etc etc in the game today, its not often you get to see heartfelt stories like Rathbone battling back from such a low ebb to running out on the field again tonight....Good on the bloke for doing it and i hope he has a cracker of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.