• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Reds Super Rugby round 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
There is no cockiness Muddy, its just your interpretation.

It says a lot about the Reds if Quade, Digby and Genia were quiet in a match which they still won...Not to mention losing their captain.

My interpretation is all I have to work with... o_O...
You could see how much the Reds celebrated after the win that they felt they were a little lucky...and might lose...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My interpretation is all I have to work with... o_O...
You could see how much the Reds celebrated after the win that they felt they were a little lucky...and might lose...

Or that they worked really hard to win and beat the conference leaders who had come out all week about wanting to asert their authority over the previous year's champions? Oh and we won the Rod McQueen trophy for the first time ever. And won in Canberra for the 2nd match in a row which, again, we have never done in pro rugby. I honestly don't think they felt themselves "lucky".

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
they won by a point in the last play... due to a missed penalty kick, they got lucky Reg! McKenzie was at his chest beatting best in the papers... The Reds had a lot of Wallabies in that squad and the fact that they scrapped by against a team of rookies is nothing to crow about...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Oh come on Muddy, you talk up the Brumbies all year as finals contenders and tip them to take this game relatively comfortably.

Now all of a sudden they are a 'bunch of rookies' who came within a whisker of beating the giants of Australian rugby.

I do admire your ability to stay positive, but in this case you were wrong. Sure the Reds were fortunate that Holmes missed the penalty, but the opposite would have been true if he had nailed it. You can't have it both ways.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
they won by a point in the last play... due to a missed penalty kick, they got lucky Reg! McKenzie was at his chest beatting best in the papers... The Reds had a lot of Wallabies in that squad and the fact that they scrapped by against a team of rookies is nothing to crow about...

They, deservedly, led for the whole game. If the Brumbies had have won with that last minute penalty kick, that would have been lucky.... for the Brumbies.... as it stands the better team won on the night.

1 try to nil & not even looking like scoring one, not withstanding.

Also, winning in that cold miserable place anointed as our nations capital is definitely something to crow about!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Hey boys (and girls) I forgot to mention that I was wearing my red ("Reds") [lucky] jocks for the Brumbies match! Those same red jocks made famous in prose after last year's S15 win (was it Cyclopath?)! Mrs Doug and I are devastated at "Big Kev's" injury......having two crook knees myself from years of rugby at SGS and QRUFC, I can sympathise with you James! Glad to hear that KB (Kurtley Beale) is not as badly injured as first thought, that's great news!
Mr Doug's daughter, Wendy, (in Canada), is currently running fourth in her tipping comp! Silly girl tipped brumbies to beat Reds....how do you get the message through to your kids?!!.......... I guess she went for her cousin Sam (Carter)!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
They, deservedly, led for the whole game. If the Brumbies had have won with that last minute penalty kick, that would have been lucky.... for the Brumbies.... as it stands the better team won on the night.

1 try to nil & not even looking like scoring one, not withstanding.

Also, winning in that cold miserable place anointed as our nations capital is definitely something to crow about!

Yes. I don't recall this type of 'lucky or unlucky' style of debate when Wilko sealed the deal in November 2003.

That's rugby, kicking under pressure in tight games is a platinum skill, it decides the fate of nations.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Or that they worked really hard to win and beat the conference leaders who had come out all week about wanting to asert their authority over the previous year's champions? Oh and we won the Rod McQueen trophy for the first time ever. And won in Canberra for the 2nd match in a row which, again, we have never done in pro rugby. I honestly don't think they felt themselves "lucky".

lol...Good to see you Reg! Is it worth the Reds contacting the Brumbies to see if they have an empty trophy cabinet they're not using?? You never know...you might get lucky!

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yes. I don't recall this type of 'lucky or unlucky' style of debate when Wilko sealed the deal in November 2003.

That's rugby, kicking under pressure in tight games is a platinum skill, it decides the fate of nations.

I've been waiting nearly nine years to hear that :)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
lol...Good to see you Reg! Is it worth the Reds contacting the Brumbies to see if they have an empty trophy cabinet they're not using?? You never know...you might get lucky!

Good to have you on board Craig. Hope Tassie is treating you well and glad you've found the board to keep your rugby knowledge up.

T

TOCC

Nahhh... The Reds defended all game like demons, didn't let one line break through and smothered any attacking energy the Brumbies had..

For the game to come down to the last kick like that, the Brumbies should count themselves lucky.. The Reds are the younger team and have enormous mental strength, Brumbies will take a lot from that.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
TOCC... I agree that was the Reds best defensive effort this year... I think you mean the Brumbies are a younger team?

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Oh come on Muddy, you talk up the Brumbies all year as finals contenders and tip them to take this game relatively comfortably.

Now all of a sudden they are a 'bunch of rookies' who came within a whisker of beating the giants of Australian rugby.

I do admire your ability to stay positive, but in this case you were wrong. Sure the Reds were fortunate that Holmes missed the penalty, but the opposite would have been true if he had nailed it. You can't have it both ways.

FYI.... Yes I said they're a bunch of rookies all year as well... As for rugby gaints I always thought the reds would struggle ajusting to Quades absense... I was correct in that , like I was correct saying the Brumbies can make the top 6 in 2012... but thank you for your tilted Tahs observation...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Not sure there is much difference in the ages between the two teams? There were probably only 4 or 5 Reds in the starting lineup over 25 from the weekend's game.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I read somewhere just this morning that the Reds are a younger team on average than the Brums. There wasn't much in it at all. 24.1 compared to 23.9 or similar

Paddysboy

Stan Wickham (3)
mate i doubtiut... if so must be very close no Samo ;)

I did a tally of the average age of each squad at the start of the year and the Brumbies were younger by an average of 3 months. However, take out Van, DK and Old Shep and the Reds almost instantly revert to being the youngest. So it's a fair bet the 22 from Saturday night were a touch younger than the Brumbies.

When you think about guys like Rob Simmons who seems to have been around for yonks yet only turned 23 last month and Slipper who is 23 next week, we forget just how young these blokes are.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I have ripped this off from earlier in the thread for the ages, thought it might be interesting.

Will update with ages as I go, will take a while so be patient as I edit the post.

Based on the age people are turning this year.

Brumbies are not as young as you would think, thanks largely to their forward pack.

Anyone know Holmes' age?

BRUMBIES ......................................REDS

1 Ben Alexander........28.......29.. Greg Holmes
2 Stephen Moore .....29.......25....Saia Fainga'a
3 Dan Palmer............24.......23... James Slipper
4 Scott Fardy............28........27.. James Horwill
5 Sam Carter............23........23.. Rob Simmons
6 Peter Kimlin...........27........26.. Ben Robinson
7 Michael Hooper.....22........20...Liam Gill
8 Ben Mowen...........28.......26.. Scott Higginbotham
9 Nic White .............22........24...Will Genia
10 Zack Holmes...................24.. Quade Cooper