• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Blues, Sat May 21, 2022, Canberra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It required a constant effort from the Blues to keep them from nicking ruck ball. They are unrelenting and unremitting. Dont know why everyone is having a cry about the penalty count, ACT were trying anything by fair means or foul to keep the Blues attack at bay. As they should be.
I am still filthy that brumbies lost that game that they had won despite lopsided penalty counts, especially as if just controlled possession with 59
Seconds to go.

Blues has enough possession to win that game 10 times over so would have been great to get the win.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yep, and always will be to people that make excuses etc. I strongly suspect some should not follow the game.
Whatever bro, we need as many people following the game as possible.. your just a tired broken record. You spew the same bullshit in every thread.. I haven't blocked anyone on here but your close..

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
20220521_195631.jpg

Reactions: gel

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

I didn't get a chance to watch the game last night - Blues managed to score an easy try off the scrum while the brumbies looked to be a player or two down. What was the yellow card for?

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I suspect I would be more inclined to say you would be happy to see the laws applied as you think they should be. I can assure you plenty of Blues fans are spewing too, and I say to them what I say to the other moaning form other side, harden up and admit you only seeing what suits you!!
I agree Dan. Personally my earlier comment re: Murphy not being up to it was his performance holistically. I wanted a Brumbies win, but irrespective, he looked nervous and unsure of himself out there. He was missing some pretty blatant things right in front of him (by both teams) with some sideline calls coming in that he shouldn't have needed. He seemed to be struggling adapting to the tone of the crowd and he allowed some unevenness to creep in with a real lack of clarity and consistency in places. For such a tight game the ref really needed to be having a good night and I'm not sure Murphy was.

Edit: As an aside, I've got nothing against Murphy, nor am I'm in on blaming refs for everything (sure wouldn't want their job), but I'm also not down with the line that refs don't impact games.

Last edited:

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I agree Dan. Personally my earlier comment re: Murphy not being up to it was his performance holistically. I wanted a Brumbies win, but irrespective, he looked nervous and unsure of himself out there. He was missing some pretty blatant things right in front of him (by both teams) with some sideline calls coming in that he shouldn't have needed. He seemed to be struggling adapting to the tone of the crowd and he allowed some unevenness to creep in with a real lack of clarity and consistency in places. For such a tight game the ref really needed to be having a good night and I'm not sure Murphy was.
I've only watched the highlights package so far...

This post makes me now want to watch it reeeaaaalll close.

I'll be interested to see just how many penalty advantages there were during the game and how many points were scored whilst under penalty advantage or yellow cards. The highlights show that all the blues points were scored whilst on or after an advantage, and the last drop goal was scored after two incredibly obvious and blatant infringements that could only be called incredibly cynical.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the only reason it was close is because that is the result of how the Brumbies play the game - they deliberately infringe to force the other team to accept the three pointers Works well against Aussie teams and suffers against New Zealand teams with a ref that actually knows the laws of the game.

How has that helped us in the international stage with international refs that pound us into submission with correct application of the laws of the game?

Don't like how this game turned out coz of the ref?

Complain to the Brumbies about how they play the game.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the only reason it was close is because that is the result of how the Brumbies play the game - they deliberately infringe to force the other team to accept the three pointers
AKA The Cantabs game plan.

And to an extent the AB's when under the kosh on their own goalline.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Nah you kiwis should be in awe of the Brumbies as they take the Richie McCaw approach to playing at the edge. Sure some of the penalties were fair but some of the penalties were absolute BS and wrong.

Anyhow time to move on as can’t change the result and just need to now look for the brumbies to kick on and win the super rugby thing.(ps Brumbies may be the underdogs but gotta believe)

Last edited:

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
This post makes me now want to watch it reeeaaaalll close.
Don't think you'll be looking too close. Breakdown was a dog's breakfast at times. Entries, clearouts well beyond, little bobbles (knock-ons), interference... I mean White being dragged out of the line was a comical highlight.

Don't like how this game turned out coz of the ref?

I'm saying I thought Murphy didn't have a great game irrespective of the outcome. I'm not blaming him for the Brumbies not winning, but for how the game turned out, sure. You contending he had zero impact? Lots of points for grievance both ways.

Anyway, I enjoyed it, just wished he'd been better.

Masters of soaking it up and playing the risk and reward line for sure. Feel like they've lost some of their capacity to avoid the appropriate sanctions these days though.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
What was that Egon Seconds effort a few years back? 20 to 2?
Yes, but you have to give credit to Egon, he did it for his home union.

Brumbies might not have done themselves any favours, but disappointingly an Aussie referee again is a big part of the conversation and I am not surprised with a 16 -5 penalty count is such a tight game,

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yes, but you have to give credit to Egon, he did it for his home union.

Brumbies might not have done themselves any favours, but disappointingly an Aussie referee again is a big part of the conversation and I am not surprised with a 16 -5 penalty count is such a tight game,
Best Egon moment was when he joined in the maul to help out

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
u contending he had zero impact?
I'm contending that the Brumbies cynical defensive tactics benefit from inconsistent or poor refereeing more often than not. This was one of the "not" occasions.

(I.e. the referee had impact).

IMHO, an infringement within the 22 whilst under penalty advantage should be an automatic yellow card irrespective of the circumstances.

Watch how fast coaches get their teams to behave after getting pounded several hundred to 9 due to finishing a game with only 3 players on the field against a team that has all 15.

And I am including the Reds in that - their ill discipline is fucking trash to watch.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Whatever bro, we need as many people following the game as possible.. your just a tired broken record. You spew the same bullshit in every thread.. I haven't blocked anyone on here but your close..
By all means mate, if telling people they shouldn't make excuses and respect refs, I don't have a problem.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm contending that the Brumbies cynical defensive tactics benefit from inconsistent or poor refereeing more often than not. This was one of the "not" occasions.

(I.e. the referee had impact).

IMHO, an infringement within the 22 whilst under penalty advantage should be an automatic yellow card irrespective of the circumstances.

Watch how fast coaches get their teams to behave after getting pounded several hundred to 9 due to finishing a game with only 3 players on the field against a team that has all 15.

And I am including the Reds in that - their ill discipline is fucking trash to watch.
You haven't even watched the game

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
By all means mate, if telling people they shouldn't make excuses and respect refs, I don't have a problem.

I've got say I fully agree, in fact, it crossed my mind in 2007 when Wayne Barnes missed that blatant forward pass and the French won. I was in awe of the acceptance by the losing team and it's supporters. If I recall correctly, the coach even said, "look mate, Ref's have a tough job and make mistakes occasionally. Lets not give them a hard time, these things happen. I'm sure we got advantages through error as well."

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
-Clarke is big loss, because he offers something different, and severely lacking, in the Kiwi rugby set-up - genuine power ball-carrying, even in heavy traffic.
-Anton Segner might or might not be a good player, but he isn't physically ready for rugby at this level. Like many others, Josh Lord, Justin Sangster, Samipeni Finau, etc etc - they need a different growth and mass regime where they hit the gym 5 times a week. Over the long run, this will be better for their rugby.
- Finlay Christie showed why he was not an AB.
- Still hopeful about RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck). nice decoy line for Beauden's try. Very deceptive.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
-Clarke is big loss, because he offers something different, and severely lacking, in the Kiwi rugby set-up - genuine power ball-carrying, even in heavy traffic.
-Anton Segner might or might not be a good player, but he isn't physically ready for rugby at this level. Like many others, Josh Lord, Justin Sangster, Samipeni Finau, etc etc - they need a different growth and mass regime where they hit the gym 5 times a week. Over the long run, this will be better for their rugby.
- Finlay Christie showed why he was not an AB.
- Still hopeful about RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck). nice decoy line for Beauden's try. Very deceptive.
I think RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) is very Caleb Clarke-like is his ball-carrying in contact.

Or perhaps Caleb is very RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck)-like?! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.