• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies Vs Reds. Canberra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Re: Brumbies Vs Reds

liquor box said:
I was just thinking today about how we would go against the Bulls at their home ground and wondered if we ran them ragged in the first 25 minutes (they looked completely buggered) then will altitude mean we destry their fitness in 15 minutes?

This week against the Lions it was evens until 50 minutes. The Bulls went up a few gears and the Lions fell away. Their fitness at altitude counts in their favour. Not against them. The Hurricanes and Highlanders tried to run them ragged at Loftus and it backfired horribly. The Brumbies couldnlt stay with them for the last 20. Those three teams ran themselves tired and got blown away in the last 20.

As a Bulls fan the consolation for me is that if we can get to within on try in Brisbane and almost save the match at the end, we can only do better at home.....but finals football is finals football.....nah....I wonlt bet against the Bulls.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The best thing the Brumbies can do for Aussie rugby is roll over and let the Reds put 50 on them and get the bonus point.

S

Spook

Sully said:
The best thing the Brumbies can do for Aussie rugby is roll over and let the Reds put 50 on them and get the bonus point.

:lmao: They might not need to roll over.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Sully said:

And take the Tahs spot in the 4? Fuck off!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Spook said:
To be honest, I hope the Reds win this and the competition. They have been great to watch and have brought me much joy which has helped me keep positive about rugby despite the shite served up by the Brumbies.

I'm worried that the Brumbies forwards will do a number on the Reds though and the Reds have a huge mental obstacle to climb.

+1. As a Brumbies supporter, the Brumbies are really p*ssing me off at the moment. They need some coaching and to pull their big heads in. All speed to the Reds.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I hate this type of 3rd hand info, but...at Jo Templeton's wedding a friend of the family was chatting to Alan Jones (who was his teacher at Grammar). Jones had gone through brain tumour treatment with Huxley at the same time and said he went down to Canberra a bit to support Hux (very Jones!). Anyway he left every session shaking his head with the conclusion that Friend didn't know how to coach.

Meh.

Take it for what its worth, but for the talent they have, the Brumbies don't look a cohesive unit.

D

David

Noddy said:
I hate this type of 3rd hand info, but...at Jo Templeton's wedding a friend of the family was chatting to Alan Jones (who was his teacher at Grammar). Jones had gone through brain tumour treatment with Huxley at the same time and said he went down to Canberra a bit to support Hux (very Jones!). Anyway he left every session shaking his head with the conclusion that Friend didn't know how to coach.

Meh.

Take it for what its worth, but for the talent they have, the Brumbies don't look a cohesive unit.

I think there would be very few if any people trolling this forum that would be surprised by that conclusion. I am pretty disappointed by the quality of Australian coaches at the moment, McKenzie being the obvious exception.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
David said:
Noddy said:

Meh.

I think there would be very few if any people trolling this forum that would be surprised by that conclusion. I am pretty disappointed by the quality of Australian coaches at the moment, McKenzie being the obvious exception.
In Australia you mean. There are some good ones overseas.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

Blue said:
liquor box said:
I was just thinking today about how we would go against the Bulls at their home ground and wondered if we ran them ragged in the first 25 minutes (they looked completely buggered) then will altitude mean we destry their fitness in 15 minutes?

This week against the Lions it was evens until 50 minutes. The Bulls went up a few gears and the Lions fell away. Their fitness at altitude counts in their favour. Not against them. The Hurricanes and Highlanders tried to run them ragged at Loftus and it backfired horribly. The Brumbies couldnlt stay with them for the last 20. Those three teams ran themselves tired and got blown away in the last 20.

As a Bulls fan the consolation for me is that if we can get to within on try in Brisbane and almost save the match at the end, we can only do better at home.....but finals football is finals football.....nah....I wonlt bet against the Bulls.

So is altitude fitness different, I would have thought that a fitter person at sea level would still be fitter at altitude. I had assumed that if the Reds were fitter in Brisbane then they would still be fitter at altitude. If it is a different type of fitness then I was completely wrong

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

liquor box said:
So is altitude fitness different, I would have thought that a fitter person at sea level would still be fitter at altitude. I had assumed that if the Reds were fitter in Brisbane then they would still be fitter at altitude. If it is a different type of fitness then I was completely wrong

It's very different. Its a case of how your body handles a lower level of oxygen, over a prolonged period of high intensity exercise.

T

TOCC

This should be a very exciting game, the brumbies will be looking to bounce back from the Tahs game, there are plenty of individuals within the Brumbies side who are brilliant, i suppose it just depends on how they click on the night.

If the Reds dont go into this game switched on mentally then they will in for a long night
Gagger said:
Last Saturday the Brumbies once again teleported me back to watching the Wallabies for the last few years. Clueless defensive play for 79 minutes and then a minute of attacking intent that takes them 60metres, but not quite far enough.

Of course, this can all happen because the pressure has come off, you've pretty much lost the game, why the fuck not go for it? (obviously makes sense to someone...)

Which totally has me agreeing with you JJJ, I can just see the Brumbies stepping up now, like the Wallabies did in Brisvegas, and then in Wales - both times when it was too fucking late and there was no longer any danger of winning anything.

I've been waiting for the reds to do the opposite - now that they actually have something to defend, start to choke and mentally disintegrate. Thought I saw it for the first 30 mins on Friday, but they pulled it back. Perhaps a tipping point for their season, and who knows, Aussie rugby?

Fucken hope so
yeah i agree, there were signs of the Wallabies in the Brumbies play the other night, a strong reluctance to detour from a game plan that was obviously not paying dividends, moments of brilliance followed by moments of bad luck and stupidty.

P

Phantom_Prop

James Buchanan said:
liquor box said:

It's very different. Its a case of how your body handles a lower level of oxygen, over a prolonged period of high intensity exercise.

It is very different, in quite a lot of endurance sports, where a high aerobic fittness is required atheletes will train at high altitude either up in the mountains or in hypobaric chambers to simulate the low oxygen environments. The idea is that the body through this training will ustilise the oxygen it takes in more efficiently so when they compete at sea level, where this is significantly more oxygen, they are able to utlises this extra oxygen to increase there level of performance.

On this basis the Bulls should have the advatange over all other teams in the comp because of their high altitude training environment, but as we saw against the reds it wasn't the case. I think with the superiority that the reds showed in their game here in terms of fittness would help them in a game up in the high veldt, but hopefilly it doesnt come to that.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

Phantom_Prop said:
On this basis the Bulls should have the advatange over all other teams in the comp because of their high altitude training environment, but as we saw against the reds it wasn't the case. I think with the superiority that the reds showed in their game here in terms of fittness would help them in a game up in the high veldt, but hopefilly it doesnt come to that.

At the same time, the benefits obtained from coming down are rarely as significant as the effects of going up.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

liquor box said:

No. I donlt think the fitness is different, and I don't think the Reads are more fit than the Bulls, They played the game at a pace that wore the Bulls down and hassled them into mistakes. The Bulls managed to lift for the last ten, the Reds looked spent, but hung on through sheer guts and good organisation.

The Bulls players have trained at altitude for all their lives and they have gone up a gear in every how game this year in the last 20. This is the fittest Bulls squad I have ever seen. Traditionally they fell away at the end of games.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Funnily all that altitude never seems to give the Cheetahs an extra leg...unless they usually play with none.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
cyclopath said:
Funnily all that altitude never seems to give the Cheetahs an extra leg...unless they usually play with none.
The Tin Ears had their moments at the Ring in the past, make no mistake.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Don't want to jump to far ahead & start talking finals against the Bulls but the good news is that the Bulls will play their finals in Sawetto? ( Help me out if I spelt it wrong Blue) & not @ Pretoria because of the soccer world cup.

Back to Brumbies v Reds.

I thought the Reds big danger game was against the Stormers becuase of the massive hype after the Bulls match I was waiting for them to get caught flat & they were for the 1st 20 minutes but credit to the Reds they came back strong after halftime & finished the last 5 minutes off well also.

They should be well rested now & the emotions of two big home victories in front of two big home crowds should have settled by now.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
disco said:
Don't want to jump to far ahead & start talking finals against the Bulls but the good news is that the Bulls will play their finals in Sawetto? ( Help me out if I spelt it wrong Blue) & not @ Pretoria because of the soccer world cup.
Soweto , Orlando Stadium, home of Orlando Pirates.

orlandostadium.png

Will be harder to beat them there. :fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.