• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Reds, week 3 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Well it came down to the Cooper v. Giteau battle but who would have thought it was going to be a battle of the boot. If Giteau's kicking had have been half decent the Brumbies would have won the game.

Happy to take the win as a Reds fan but to concede four tries to a team that has found difficulty getting across the try line has to be a concern. The inability to score tries is also a worry.

Thought Genia was a lot better this game and was a lot quicker with his delivery. He really does seem comfortable with the captaincy and provides good leadership. Cooper's kicking game was top shelf and his pass to get the first try in motion was outstanding. That's about it though. Something is not quite right with the attack and the responsibility falls largely with Cooper. He should be marshaling the troops a lot more effectively. The centers were hardly in the game. Apart from one great tackle Chambers was hardly sighted. A bloke with his size and athleticism should be carting the ball up a lot more, and running into holes created by his inside men.

Robinson had a great game and Gill made the most of his time on the field. The forwards generally played better as a unit and showed better discipline than previous weeks.

As for the Brumbies, lack of discipline was a shocker. The bright spots for them are the form of McCabe and Vaea. Wish them well against the Crusaders!

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Well it came down to the Cooper v. Giteau battle but who would have thought it was going to be a battle of the boot. If Giteau's kicking had have been half decent the Brumbies would have won the game.

Happy to take the win as a Reds fan but to concede four tries to a team that has found difficulty getting across the try line has to be a concern. The inability to score tries is also a worry.

The Brumbies gave away penalties at regular intervals, and Genia/Cooper took points at every opportunity by choice. It was a very focussed and effective game plan, and Cooper showed he can do it both ways in attack. I hope they can build to more though....

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Great to get a win in the capital finally, not a great game by all means but a wins a win.

Giteau had a good game in general play but his goal kicking under pressure has let him down again.

Hopefully the Reds find their mojo during the week off as a I'm hoping for a good win at home against the Rebels after the bye.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
McCabe was good but I gotta say, he has a shocking running style. He looks like he is about to piss himself everytime he starts to stride out, and waddles left to right.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I thought it was Daley's best game of the year. If he could learn how to scrummage it would be great. Saia was on and off to much but I liked Hanson when he was on. Would love to see him start a game. Simmons did some good stuff but still makes the odd error. Van was really good and took charge of the pack. I think the backrow was much better balanced and they were all quite good. Houston is improving and I hope it stays that way. Genia was so much more urgent than he has been and it made a big difference to the team performance. Quade needs to inject himself in the game more. His one piece of brilliance set up the try and he didn't try much after that. The rest of the backs didn't get much of a chance. Playing field possession seem to work tonight and the Brumbies killed a lot of chances for the Reds to attack so they only scored 3 pointers.

I am happy with the result and I think the week off has come at a good time. They changed their style and I think the extra week allows them to tweak some things that they see in the comp this year. The breakdown is a bit different from last year and I think Link got it wrong in his planning but has fixed it up and that will only improve in the weeks to come.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Fuck you Mark Lawrence... fuck you...

Settle down, Slim. As a disinterested observer, and a referee, I can tell you Lawrence had nothing to do with the result. The Shetland Ponies' loss can be summarised in one word: Giteau. Crap kicking. Woeful running. My spare-rib, who comes from a solid league background, stuck her head in the door during a spell when Gits was impersonating a drunken crab (the bit where he not only ran his supports out of space but realised he'd no more sideways space left and tried to scuttle back the other way!) and asked, "does Giteau always run across the field?". My young bloke and I bellowed "YES!".

It would be presumptuous of Reds' supporters to start gloating from this (thin) victory. OK, getting one over the herd was good for them, and for Oz rugby in general, but there are still lots of questions about the Reds' performance. Cooper's tackling is (still) a major issue; it must be addressed for his sake, for the betterment of the Reds and, most importantly, for the Wallabies' RWC chances. Saia Fangiaa seems to have regressed despite the opportunities he's had with the Wallabies. This isn't good for Oz rugby as he's only one injury away from the backup rake's spot. And the backs have yet to rediscover their mojo from 2010. One bright spot is the back row selection (take a bow, Juan), it looked much more balanced with an enforcer, a fetcher and a lump. Now if only Leroy could improve his lumpishness.

The Shetland Ponies have a LOT of problems. My 19 year old son, a fellow second rower, has it in for Chisholm: he reckons he's useless. Leans on rucks. Loiters around mauls. Gains 10, sometimes 15cm, with the pill. Avoids the hard graft in general. And after (quite) a bit of careful observation I've come to the conclusion he's right. Alexander has been mucked around better than most in ACT rugby and now doesn't know if he's Arthur or Martha. How many THPs do the Shetlands need? Ben, or Dan, have a chat with the Tahs next year. Whatever the show pony backs are supposed to be doing doesn't seem to be involve their main strike weapon, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Honestly, I thought he'd catch a cold last night. The only Shetland bright spots for me were Valentine's and McCabe's performances.

I first saw Mark Lawrence when he officiated a Pirates' grade match in 2003, the week before a test match. His positioning adjacent to the play impressed me mightily, and his decision-making seemed to be very good due to getting himself to where he could make that good decision. You're being a bit harsh, and emotional, Slim, M Lawrence is one of the better refs going around.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Hate to say I told you so Ponies fans, but.......

Alexander has a big flaw in his set-up at scrum time, he is head down on the crouch call, he then collapses, hinges or puts his hand down. He and not Ma'afu is now the weak link (along with Chis) in the scrum. Unfortunately for Aus Rugby I cannot see this problem getting addressed at the Brumbies and this weakness will be glossed over by him doing his favourite thing and running in the backs. Maybe he should move to 8 :)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Good win to the Reds. They have a lot to improve on but winning in a place they have never won, beating their bogey team could not come at a better time for them. They are a much classier side than they showed last night but they demonstrated the ability to play a different style. Laugh at Coopers Kicking style all you want but I will take it any day of the week with a success rate like that. He single handedly out scored the Brumbies.

S

slasher

Cooper is a cat. How can a professional player have to be hidden in defence? How many times was the reds counter attack stifled, especially if Lucas was needed at half cause no one knew where superstar was or who should be first receiver.
Bench him until he at least attempts tackles with correct technique. All he is interested in is cheap shots to the upper body and cheap ones at the cleanout that do nothing.

L

Lachlan

Alexander has a big flaw in his set-up at scrum time, he is head down on the crouch call, he then collapses, hinges or puts his hand down. He and not Ma'afu is now the weak link (along with Chis) in the scrum. Unfortunately for Aus Rugby I cannot see this problem getting addressed at the Brumbies and this weakness will be glossed over by him doing his favourite thing and running in the backs. Maybe he should move to 8 :)
Agree on Alexander... weak scrummager but great around the park with good hands and mobility. Maybe he wouldn't look out of place at 8. Disagree on Chis being a scrum weakness. Chisolm is actually a very solid scrummager as proven with his unbelievable 57 caps for the wallabies. He makes up for that by playing like a wet biscuit around the park. It might have been my imagination but the Red's defenders looked gleeful whenever he gets the ball cause they know they can put a solid shot on him and win the contact.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah Chis is definitely not a weak scrummager, that huge frame of his definitely helps - shame he's an absolute softie in contact. Horwill and him are the reasons the Wallaby scrum was so good in 2009.

T

TOCC

Cooper is a cat. How can a professional player have to be hidden in defence? How many times was the reds counter attack stifled, especially if Lucas was needed at half cause no one knew where superstar was or who should be first receiver.
Bench him until he at least attempts tackles with correct technique. All he is interested in is cheap shots to the upper body and cheap ones at the cleanout that do nothing.

Yes i want Quade to improve his defence, but on the topic of Lucas, he is a 5/8 by nature, i dont see why having him at 5/8 in defence and subsequently counter-attack is a bad thing

T

TheTruth

Reds scrum great - Slipper and even Daley good - Ponies scrumies LH and TH were poor - Maafu just a mess and cheap shot on QC (Quade Cooper)

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
Maybe this is my bias showing through but I think this article:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...-queensland-reds/story-e6frf4qu-1226016900730

is a load of crap. It basically says that 3 points is too much for a penalty and the Brumbies should have won the game.

If you're going to continually infringe in your own territory, what do you expect? Making the cost of a penalty 2 points only would add more incentive for illegal tactics at the breakdown.

D

Dimism

I've always thought 3 is too much for a drop goal, but penalty goals should be left as is.

It's not QCs fault that the Brumbies completely forgot the laws of the game and gifted him 18 points. Nor is it anyone's fault that Gits has chewy on his boots...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Reds scrum great - Slipper and even Daley good - Ponies scrumies LH and TH were poor - Maafu just a mess and cheap shot on QC (Quade Cooper)
have another look at it. Stupid QC (Quade Cooper) thinks he can jab a prop & get away with it.He got what he gave, then complained to mum about it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yes i want Quade to improve his defence, but on the topic of Lucas, he is a 5/8 by nature, i dont see why having him at 5/8 in defence and subsequently counter-attack is a bad thing

Then pick Lucas at 10.
If Quade can't play 1/2 of the game at a particular position, he shouldn't be selected there.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Nah, Palmer was solid. Alexander was poor.

The Brumbies had the edge in the scrum for most of the match (particularly in the second half when they dominated) but unfortunately it all depended on whether the Alexander/Slipper side would stay up.

Status
Not open for further replies.