• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Thanks Grant. But remember you hold more than power in this than people like me - you have knowledge and are inside of the game.

You see, right now is a demonstration about why you and all ACT and region rugby clubs need to be actively involved and in the middle of all the supporters of the NRC team. Without your voice I would have a clue about your concerns. So in some ways its a chance for you and other to shape our thinking and influence where this all goes (but remember its a double edged sword so careful how you use it as you may cut yourself in half).

As for what Slim is saying, he is correct, but I think this may workout the opposite way you think. You see Tuggers is established and successful, but there is clear enough support to show that people don't want it to be all about Tuggies. So I am pretty sure that they will be forced to spread the love around and I think "we" supporters alike can make that happen.

Now also I believe this issue is not exclusive to you or ACT & region clubs and will soon be a hot topic in public forums. For example and I hope Braveheart or TWAS can correct me if I am wrong, but there is the same rhetoric around Sydney Stars who some are now referring to as the "Sydney Uni Stars". From the bit of the story I can piece together their squad (extended) of 43 is made up of Soup players, Sydney Uni players and 4 Balmain players.

One thing I would like to understand is if the clubs are so concerned and not happy about the tuggies set up, why haven't they taken the high road and put out a clear unified media statement of intent saying that they will support the NRC concept fully, but it it detrimental to the club or local comps. or strips them of players etc they will walk away from the concept and Tuggies involvement in comps at all levels?
The Sydney Stars are a team between a Shute Shield team and a subbies team, of course the Shute Shield team are going to dominate. The Canberra issue is about a combined team of clubs all playing in the same competition.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
I think this wouldn't be a bad idea, have to play a certain percentage of games in that season in first grade. Could help, obviously need to be some allowance in that for circumstances, such as top quality player coming back from injury, but if you use Jake Rakic as an example, never been a regular in first grade, plays one game of second grade this year at tuggers then gets picked.

I think the choice of Jake Rakic has definitely raised some eye brows, but he as previously proven himself in NGS, Australian 7's, Youth games in 7's and trial games. When he had his first start in 1st Grade last season he scored a hat trick in his first game. No one got near him. He has been riddled with injury for the last 2 years and most other young blokes probably would have given it away by now with the amount of serious injury he's had to cope with. He was called into the squad a number of weeks ago, and trained like all the other players. A large number of backs were called into the training squad only a few weeks before the final squad was decided. The players feel there is obviously a lack of depth within the backs. If you take a good look at the squad most of the forwards are nearly all contracted or previous EPS players, and many of the backs are from club??? Just an observation.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Waratahs have never dominated a Wallabies squad with 66% during Super Rugby from what i can remember.

Not all teams are equal.........

And if you're looking for an apt comparison, currently 12/35 players for the Waratahs come from Sydney Uni, and I'm sure that number has been bigger in the past........

Tuggeranong is much like Sydney Uni in that it has the resources to attract the best players from other clubs and interstate, but unlike Sydney Uni there are no opposing teams in the JID that are comparable to the next best clubs in the Shute Shield........ Queanbeyan probably comes close due to its strong player base...........

This is obviously reflected in Vikings dominance in the John I Dent Cup, and it shouldn't be any surprise that their players have been rewarded so heavily in the NRC.........

Brumbies/JID Selections:

Easts - 2/0 (Moore crocked, Rathbone, Smith and Van Der Walt gone)
Uni Norths - 3/0 (Alexander - Rams, Pocock crocked)
Royals - 3/0 (To'omua to NSW Country, McCaffrey and Tatekawa gone)
Queanbeyan - 2/1 (White - NSW Country, Kuridrani - Rams, Power - gone)
Gungahlin - 1/1 (Mann-Rea - ?, Cronje and Hoffman gone)
Wests - 3/2 (Fardy - Rays, Whetton gone)
Tuggeranong - 5/8 (Mowen gone)

+ 3 players TBA

** For the purposes of this I've considered Staniforth, Iona and Ah Wong Brumbies players due to Iona's cap and the others 2015 contracts respectively..........

Half of those 8 non-Brumby Tuggeranong players also featured in the ACT XV that took on the Brumbies earlier in the year, and another 2 featured prominently in the Junior World Cup........

In summary, it has absolutely nothing to do with Vikings' bias.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Sydney Stars are a team between a Shute Shield team and a subbies team, of course the Shute Shield team are going to dominate. The Canberra issue is about a combined team of clubs all playing in the same competition.

There is a similar story but with an ironic twist in the makeup of the Greater Sydney Rams. There, the team list is dominated by Eastwood player, but the Eastwood club withdrew from the Rams organisation some time ago. In the end, I suppose that the new teams' coaching staffs will pick their squads from whom they see as the best fit for the teams and their aspirations. I will be giving my full support to the Canberra Vikings, not the Tuggeranong Vikings in the NRC.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Exactly and for 7.50 a game it's great value. Carn UC Vikings.. Plus who doesn't like some who eats with there hands drinks beer and fights..Vikings are great.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Exactly and for 7.50 a game it's great value. Carn UC Vikings.. Plus who doesn't like some who eats with there hands drinks beer and fights..Vikings are great.

At the end of the day there is a quality game to be watched at a cheap price!

As this is a NEW team made up of Canberra and region players, in a NEW comp I think its pretty simple - your either a Canberra supporter or not! Vikings don't take prisoners - its interferers with the drinking and eating!

Toby Spencer

Stan Wickham (3)
To be honest i think the best 9 in Canberra in Edan Campbell-O'Brien from Uni-Norths and he is relatively young.
I would have to disagree with you here. In my opinion Pedro from Royals would be my pick from the JID players. I don't know who he has pissed off to not be in the team??

Toby Spencer

Stan Wickham (3)
Can you name me another 13 that is clearly the best in the comp?
What about Mitch Connolly? And the Royals 13? From watching some games last year and early this year I don't think they would be too far off.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
What about Mitch Connolly? And the Royals 13? From watching some games last year and early this year I don't think they would be too far off.

I think after this initial "building" year, and as the competition and team goes forward the thinking may change about player selection, development and identification. So the discussion around selection etc goes a long way to ensure that supporters are "educated" and wont tolerate bias or a non-inclusive agenda.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Great looking team, although I think Sam Carter will be on test duty :)

I would consider it close to a sure thing he wont be playing NRC noting the press about his inclusion in the Wallabies team for game one over the last week.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hopefully there's another Vikings player that can fill the void. I doubt any of the other Canberra clubs have players who'd be up to the rigours of the NRC.

fishing.gif

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Figured some more outrage was required.

I'm sure the naysayers will find a reason to argue about the replacement regardless of who it is or where they come from.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe he should respond to them via Facebook, because Vikings have stated publicly that they offered him a position and he declined...........

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Maybe he should respond to them via Facebook, because Vikings have stated publicly that they offered him a position and he declined.....
Dan doesn't have Facebook and he is not one to go around whinging about missing out on a team and nor should he, despite being in a losing team I think he showed his worth on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.