• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I have two issues with JJH @mst, One, he is very small by rugby standards, and I see him being the new generation Robbie Coleman. Bigger centres will tend to dominate him over time. Then, I think he definitely has some defensive issues, missing quite a few one-on-one tackles. The second issue could just be a reflection of the first, of course.

I do think he has talent, but I don't think he has the physique to consistently make an impact at Super Rugby level.

To my mind, Taliauli had the more impressive season for a back.

I can't disagree with your first point.

Ditto re: Taliauli - surprised he didn't get the backs award.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Game plans and styles continue to evolve with new rules and law interpretations, in line with your comments, Nic Stiles seems to think Super Rugby is currently evolving to a more physical style, with fast line speeds and defensive patterns, it's his belief big physical players are needed to get across the advantage line..

Make of that what you will..

I'm not about to pick an argument with Stiles.:)

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hoping Brumbies remain in partnership with Vikings on non financial basis. IP, training group and conditioning for local JID and junior reps.

Or as a conspiracy theory that the ARU is bypassing Brumbies so that they can shaft them later when Rebels and Force go to court.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
As an outsider.......

I like the idea of the NRC team functioning more autonomously, as long as it doesn't affect access to facilities and the right personal. This means less bias in certain areas and less focus on developing CERTAIN players, and more on developing players in general.

Obviously there'd ideally be some access to the Brumbies' systems of play, etc., so there's some alignment.

However, the attachment to one club side creates a whole other set of issues. Can only imagine if Quins ran the Melbourne NRC team.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Dear me.
This is a dead set pup: this is the very thing Randwick tried to do to Easts in Sydney but this has implications for all the Canberra clubs.
What carrot can those other clubs hold to tempt blokes not to play for Wikings in the JID Cup????

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Probably nothing.

Vikings are probably the only team that has their own licenced club(s). Every team over the years has gone broke at some stage and now at a new club and sharing the money from that club with other sports.

Reactions: mst

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's been going on for years and nothing new.

but this is so naked.
This whole country is blighted with uneven competitions that deprive players of close and demanding contests on a weekly basis which is what is needed.
Everywhere one looks at the moment there is disintegration of the essential fabric of competition on which good players are built.
I am almost at the point of despair.

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
I don't see the issue here, now I rarely see many club games in Canberra thanks to my fly in fly out work but surely having a successful business running the club is better than the Brumbies who have lost how much money the last few years? and not having a team at all. I get your all passionate supporters and most of the clubs don't like the Vikings because it is the have's v the have not's but it is simple, you have a team or you don't. If the other clubs and supporters are so passionate about it, maybe they should pool their resources and go halves with the Vikings, I bet all the other franchises and NRC teams would love a backer like the Vikings to support them.

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Inside ShoulderJason Little (69)

New

Brumby Jack said:
It's been going on for years and nothing new.​
but this is so naked.
This whole country is blighted with uneven competitions that deprive players of close and demanding contests on a weekly basis which is what is needed.
Everywhere one looks at the moment there is disintegration of the essential fabric of competition on which good players are built.
I am almost at the point of despair.​

You're a bit late to the party on this one champ. Not many others lining up to pay for it. Could probably use the windfall from the sale of Griffith the former brumbies chairman and his cronies were supposed to preserve to support community rugby right about now.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think people will just need to suck it up.....

Yep. Some will moan about this but the Vikings are willing to put up the cash to compete. The others need to either accept it or find a way to come up with the cash. Which from everything I've seen on this forum is very unlikely.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't see the issue here, now I rarely see many club games in Canberra thanks to my fly in fly out work but surely having a successful business running the club is better than the Brumbies who have lost how much money the last few years? and not having a team at all. I get your all passionate supporters and most of the clubs don't like the Vikings because it is the have's v the have not's but it is simple, you have a team or you don't. If the other clubs and supporters are so passionate about it, maybe they should pool their resources and go halves with the Vikings, I bet all the other franchises and NRC teams would love a backer like the Vikings to support them.

Look around you......look in almost any thread on this site.
The number one common issue is uneven competitions.
You need a seperate entity if you are going to serious suggest that the NRC Vikings are anything other than Tuggeranong and that spells trouble for Canberra rugby - just as it has in the shute Shield (grade and colts), the GPS comp in Sydney, Subbies in Sydney.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Look around you..look in almost any thread on this site.
The number one common issue is uneven competitions.
You need a seperate entity if you are going to serious suggest that the NRC Vikings are anything other than Tuggeranong and that spells trouble for Canberra rugby - just as it has in the shute Shield (grade and colts), the GPS comp in Sydney, Subbies in Sydney.

Having one club dominating the talent pool isn't ideal for competition. Hard to argue otherwise.

However, I still don't believe something like this should be discouraged. The NRC needs to evolve and grow. To do that it needs clubs/groups with the financial clout to invest resources in order to do so. As tough as it may be for some. The NRC needs to be a distinct competition above club with organisations and playing rostets separate from their affiliates.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Having one club dominating the talent pool isn't ideal for competition. Hard to argue otherwise.

However, I still don't believe something like this should be discouraged. The NRC needs to evolve and grow. To do that it needs clubs/groups with the financial clout to invest resources in order to do so. As tough as it may be for some. The NRC needs to be a distinct competition above club with organisations and playing rostets separate from their affiliates.
To my knowledge this is the closest thing to the go it alone model uni and Randwick wanted and were denied: they had a stronger claim to it than tuggers.
If the Vikings want to be a stand alone NRC club that's a different matter - they don't.
Self interest derails the rugby train as usual.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Brumbies will retain significant involvement and try to spread the benefits to the JiD.

The Brumbies will still commit Super Rugby contracted players to the program as well as helping oversee strength and conditioning for the squad.

Brumbies high performance manager Damien Hill will be a part of a sub committee to help the Vikings set up their squad while a coach is expected to be appointed in the coming months.

One of the main concerns of rival Canberra clubs is the Tuggeranong side will have an influx of players who want to join the team to press their NRC claims.

However, the Brumbies and Vikings Group are keen to ensure there is a spread of talent rather than having a stacked Tuggeranong roster.

"We would hope it strengthens the local competition. We sit as an opportunity to bring high quality into the region and then supplement all teams in the competition," Thomson said.

"We'll be heavily involved ... there will be a strong flavour of contracted Brumbies in the Canberra Vikings.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...rugby-championship-round-20170516-gw5nnu.html

Status
Not open for further replies.