• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
pretty impressed by Waverley's game today

I won't name names . but the coaches have one problem . one back that can't tackle . he is great in attack, but can the team carry him?

SonnyDill

This was well noted in the 7's at Queens Park some weeks back. Seems that the lad has spent time at the Dylan Napa School of Defence, but unfortunately the two techniques acquired are both yellow card offences in rugby.

Expect to see the likes of Reimer, Flaherty and Pollard charging a little wider when the teams meet later in the year.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Is Jacob Tomasello back from injury yet for Waverley?

He was the seconds best player last year and will solve any issues out wide.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Is Jacob Tomasello back from injury yet for Waverley?

He was the seconds best player last year and will solve any issues out wide.

W88,

He played his first game back last week, half a game in the 3rds.
Came through well, so should be back in a week or two.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
pretty impressed by Waverley's game today

while St Augustines lost a winger early to a nasty facial cut . Waverley also lost their Captain Molloy early too

Auggies have a great team . I reckon they will win ISA ...but no Hopoate .. maybe he finished last year?

Hopoate did his ACL so currently not playing, he is only 17 though, played for AUS Schools last year at the ripe old age of 16.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Hasbeen,

Along with that game, Scots play Waves.
I think Kings will probably win well.

I was not aware of that WLF. I agree that will probably edge out the K v K game for interest. No doubt you will be there and posting up regularly?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I was not aware of that WLF. I agree that will probably edge out the K v K game for interest. No doubt you will be there and posting up regularly?

Has,

I will definitely be at the game as will many other followers of both sides, it is a local derby and we didn't play each other last year, which would have been a beauty.

Who id Barker playing this weekend?
Do you also know how your 15as are going this year?

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Has,

I will definitely be at the game as will many other followers of both sides, it is a local derby and we didn't play each other last year, which would have been a beauty.

Who id Barker playing this weekend?
Do you also know how your 15as are going this year?

Shore - I am not attending this week - will be up north. The outcome could be predictable due to Shore's re building phase. I do not know how the 15a's are faring and have not seen them perform this season. Rod S may be able to fill you in a bit.

Reactions: WLF

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think Scots v Waverley will be an interesting game

$cots seem to have taken their pod rugby to the next level under Brian Smith

they train that hard ... that I consider them semi-professional

Joeys and the other GPS heavyweights can't seem to find the blueprint to beat them anymore

so the odds are long that Waverley can beat them ...on home soil
... then again Waverley managed to dismantle Joeys last year at home

so the question is whether this years Double V ... can do what Finn Wright, Liam Cornish, Donaldson & Hardaker did last year?

with Molloy sitting out with a concussion ... I wouldn't bet $ on it ... but then you have the Coleman/Cornish coaching combo ... and you'd never right them off ... plus the tribal tattoos on Waverley's star-in-the-making might scare the blue bloods ;)

quite apart from the fact that there a number of players itching to do a job on Savala

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

they train that hard . that I consider them semi-professional

Joeys and the other GPS heavyweights can't seem to find the blueprint to beat them anymore

so the odds are long that Waverley can beat them .on home soil
. then again Waverley managed to dismantle Joeys last year at home

so the question is whether this years Double V . can do what Finn Wright, Liam Cornish, Donaldson & Hardaker did last year?

with Molloy sitting out with a concussion . I wouldn't bet $ on it . but then you have the Coleman/Cornish coaching combo . and you'd never right them off . plus the tribal tattoos on Waverley's star-in-the-making might scare the blue bloods ;)

quite apart from the fact that there a number of players itching to do a job on Savala

SDW,

Spot on, I watched last weeks Scots v Newington demolition. My takeout was:

1. The Scots formula is a brick wall defence, sorry but a bit like great league sides, this creates mistakes from the opposition, which is what Newington did with poor passes etc.

2. Their forward pack is their real strength, some big, fit, aggressive, well trained boys, good to watch.
3. Their backs also strong in defence, but attacking ability??????

The thing that the Waves have going for them is that they too have been training hard for a long time.
It is a local derby, everybody probably knows everybody, so the mental side will be very important.

IMO,Waverley has the most damaging school boy forward in Aust. which inspires the whole team, he is worth 10-20 points in what he does every match, no guesses in who I mean, whilst typically no one player normally will win you a match.
This 1 is different, Scots have no match.

I suspect it will be intense, to say the least, let's see how Scots cope with a solid side that has some individuals with brilliance.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
SDW,

1. The Scots formula is a brick wall defence, sorry but a bit like great league sides, this creates mistakes from the opposition, which is what Newington did with poor passes etc.

2. Their forward pack is their real strength, some big, fit, aggressive, well trained boys, good to watch.

Good analysis, the one thing I will add is even if there are no superstars in the backline for Scots (and there well maybe I haven't seen a lot of their backs playing) the style of game they play is not particularly reliant on having superstar backs to finish the job. The pod system allows them to punch their way up the park both in tight and up wide and score points through the forwards all across the park. Waverly will have to shut down the pods early as they tend to get offloads away and get ahead of steam up very quickly through strong runners like Wellington.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
SDW,

The thing that the Waves have going for them is that they too have been training hard for a long time.
It is a local derby, everybody probably knows everybody, so the mental side will be very important.

IMO,Waverley has the most damaging school boy forward in Aust. which inspires the whole team, he is worth 10-20 points in what he does every match, no guesses in who I mean, whilst typically no one player normally will win you a match.
This 1 is different, Scots have no match.

I suspect it will be intense, to say the least, let's see how Scots cope with a solid side that has some individuals with brilliance.

Hi WLF.

I think Scots strength, apart from their defence, is that their backs are very strong at the breakdown and their forwards can pass and run like backs. In fact, many of the forwards have played alot in the backline. Wellington, for example, was NSW u16s 13 in 2016. Same team as Luca. Also, 3 of the quickest players in the whole squad have a number less than 9 on their back.

Just about every player can set up or score a try, as you would have seen on the New video. It's not classic backline play, like say Joeys. But its very effective and hard to defend.

Re individuals, I have recently heard a few very respected rugby brains, not all aligned to Scots, say they think the Scots backrowers are every bit as good as Morretti, in different ways though. Will be interesting to hear what you think after Sats match.

I dont think either side could claim favorites. It may well come down to the bounce of the ball and maybe some individual brilliance.

But most of all I think it will come down to which side wants it most. And that is something I dont think anyone can predict.

Will be a cracker of a game. Can't wait. I believe a big crowd is expected too.

Rich

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Hi WLF.

I think Scots strength, apart from their defence, is that their backs are very strong at the breakdown and their forwards can pass and run like backs. In fact, many of the forwards have played alot in the backline. Wellington, for example, was NSW u16s 13 in 2016. Same team as Luca. Also, 3 of the quickest players in the whole squad have a number less than 9 on their back.

Just about every player can set up or score a try, as you would have seen on the New video. It's not classic backline play, like say Joeys. But its very effective and hard to defend.

Re individuals, I have recently heard a few very respected rugby brains, not all aligned to Scots, say they think the Scots backrowers are every bit as good as Morretti, in different ways though. Will be interesting to hear what you think after Sats match.

I dont think either side could claim favorites. It may well come down to the bounce of the ball and maybe some individual brilliance.

But most of all I think it will come down to which side wants it most. And that is something I dont think anyone can predict.

Will be a cracker of a game. Can't wait. I believe a big crowd is expected too.

Rich

Hi Rich_E,

I recon I speak on behalf of all the school boy thread enthusiasts when I say, very glad to hear/read your voice.

I guess all it really took was a serious local derby full of talent, which we all missed last year, so it's been a long time coming.
I do know that the Scots balcony with many old boys from both sides, with refreshments, is a sell out.
So yes there will be a big crowd and the weather looks kind for all the schools games.

Your summation of the Scots team is exactly what I saw on the Newington video, a daunting task for any team to beat this Scots team. Scots are the definite favourites, I am ignoring your political appraisal.

Sometimes a total belief in structure, and structure alone, can go south when what comes at you isn't predictable.

It's a huge call to suggest that 1 player can inspire a win, and I realise that, but I will be surprised if any backrowers can match Moretti. They all know who he is,and will do everything to nullify his effect, but that is why such players are so good.

Will be there about 2.30 at Scots, our 15as teams are playing at Death Valley no. 1 at 1pm, so can't get to Scots no.1 any earlier.

Send me a signal and we can meet up at Scots.

May the best team win!

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)

so the question is whether this years Double V . can do what Finn Wright, Liam Cornish, Donaldson & Hardaker did last year?

with Molloy sitting out with a concussion . I wouldn't bet $ on it . but then you have the Coleman/Cornish coaching combo . and you'd never right them off . plus the tribal tattoos on Waverley's star-in-the-making might scare the blue bloods ;)

SDW - don't forget that Joeys did beat Scots at Bellevue Hill last year!

Come on ref

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi Rich_E,

I recon I speak on behalf of all the school boy thread enthusiasts when I say, very glad to hear/read your voice.

I guess all it really took was a serious local derby full of talent, which we all missed last year, so it's been a long time coming.
I do know that the Scots balcony with many old boys from both sides, with refreshments, is a sell out.
So yes there will be a big crowd and the weather looks kind for all the schools games.

Your summation of the Scots team is exactly what I saw on the Newington video, a daunting task for any team to beat this Scots team. Scots are the definite favourites, I am ignoring your political appraisal.

Sometimes a total belief in structure, and structure alone, can go south when what comes at you isn't predictable.

It's a huge call to suggest that 1 player can inspire a win, and I realise that, but I will be surprised if any backrowers can match Moretti. They all know who he is,and will do everything to nullify his effect, but that is why such players are so good.

Will be there about 2.30 at Scots, our 15as teams are playing at Death Valley no. 1 at 1pm, so can't get to Scots no.1 any earlier.

May the best team win!

iv not seen moretti play rugby , but have watch him play league. what makes him such a potent rugby backrower?

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Hi Rich_E,

Thanks WLF.

I managed to grab a ticket for the Balcony. Not surprised to hear it's sold out. Always a top arvo.

Will definitely message you and drop by for a chat and to dissect the game.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers

Reactions: WLF

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
iv not seen moretti play rugby , but have watch him play league. what makes him such a potent rugby backrower?

What are your perceptions in League?

In Union he is fast, super aggressive in both defence and attack, and very difficult to contain.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

SDW,

A provocative opinion about pods, which is much like pick n drive, extremely boring to watch, yet extremely effective.
I think we have all heard many times that schoolboy rugby is the BEST rugby you will ever see, essentially because you will see the best forward and free running back line tries of all associations.

IMO pods destroys this joy and the spectator appeal, so it becomes a boring grind game, which doesn't help school boy rugby appeal and therefore maybe numbers. It is extremely efficient and probably has a high win ratio, but HO HUM!

Can't wait for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.