• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
All Blacks are the best 'podders' on the planet. If its good enough for them.!

Pod rugby ain't pick and drive. Quite different.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
All Blacks are the best 'podders' on the planet. If its good enough for them.!

Pod rugby ain't pick and drive. Quite different.

Ha Rich_E,

Watching the Scots/New game, agree pods it is not quite the same as pick n drive, but the grind is very similar.
As a spectacle it is a march up the field, on and on, extremely effective, but nothing worth recording.
So IMO it may be good enough for them, the all Blacks, and it does work no doubt, but God it is boring IMO!

This is getting good!

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Didn't get the chance to give a full report but all in all a mixed bag by the Aloys boys. Joeys 3rds impressed definitely were shredding up in broken play and turnovers (got an intercept try I think). Aloys dominant throughout mostly however defence inside the 22 was very good with some superb breakdown work from the 2,7 and 8 especially. I think they definitely try to spread the ball too fast which makes them unable to suck defenders in but thats mostly due to the fullbacks insistence of throwing a cutout pass whenever possible. If they get smarter on attack and work harder off the ball think they could surprise a lot of teams

Scotsman18...are you a Aloys follower. If so would you care to write a game report this weekend? If so message me.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Ha Rich_E,

Watching the Scots/New game, agree pods it is not quite the same as pick n drive, but the grind is very similar.
As a spectacle it is a march up the field, on and on, extremely effective, but nothing worth recording.
So IMO it may be good enough for them, the all Blacks, and it does work no doubt, but God it is boring IMO!

This is getting good!

I disagree WLF.
Pods increase the speed and tempo of play, suck in opposition players and create space out wide.
The pod system frees the ball up very quickly.
If you attended the Scots Newington game you would have seen fast free flowing rugby from the team in Gold.
A grind it was not!
It was Newington that slowed the game, using the pick and drive to attack around the fringes.
The days of the forwards resting between set pieces and allowing the backs to run at each other between scrums is long gone.
Chinks in todays defensive line are created over phases of play.
This is how the pod system works.
So WLF........you can continue to 'walk backwards into the future' lamenting the loss of the free flowing game of the 70's but you've probably forgotten that era also involved long protracted pile ups of players with the ball buried at the bottom and titanic wrestles for the ball that went on for minutes at a time. It wasn't all free flowing rugby.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I disagree WLF.
Pods increase the speed and tempo of play, suck in opposition players and create space out wide.
The pod system frees the ball up very quickly.
If you attended the Scots Newington game you would have seen fast free flowing rugby from the team in Gold.
A grind it was not!
It was Newington that slowed the game, using the pick and drive to attack around the fringes.
The days of the forwards resting between set pieces and allowing the backs to run at each other between scrums is long gone.
Chinks in todays defensive line are created over phases of play.
This is how the pod system works.
So WLF....you can continue to 'walk backwards into the future' lamenting the loss of the free flowing game of the 70's but you've probably forgotten that era also involved long protracted pile ups of players with the ball buried at the bottom and titanic wrestles for the ball that went on for minutes at a time. It wasn't all free flowing rugby.

Fair enough Wristy,

I understand your point of view, and you may be right that I am walking back into the future, a nice twist (pardon the pun), and I have watched the New/Scots game, along with many other pod style games.

I also accept that there were phases of slowness in days gone by BUT, whilst undeniably effective, I can't say pods is enjoyable to watch, and that is my point. It is based on a small number of players grouping up together typically with short passes and scoring from a short distance out. So whilst backs are very much part of this system, everything tends to become generic.
Yes forwards have nearly always been the winning factor in teams but that style is even more prominent now.
There is no problem is disagreeing but I think that the great tries of days gone by are now becoming very few and far between.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
lamenting the loss of the free flowing game of the 70's but you've probably forgotten that era also involved long protracted pile ups of players with the ball buried at the bottom and titanic wrestles for the ball that went on for minutes at a time. It wasn't all free flowing rugby.

....and rucking......don't forget rucking.....oh how I miss rucking. If you put your hands in the ruck you were taught not to do it again or, you earned the ball and some grudging respect:D

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Fair enough Wristy,

I understand your point of view, and you may be right that I am walking back into the future, a nice twist (pardon the pun), and I have watched the New/Scots game, along with many other pod style games.

I also accept that there were phases of slowness in days gone by BUT, whilst undeniably effective, I can't say pods is enjoyable to watch, and that is my point. It is based on a small number of players grouping up together typically with short passes and scoring from a short distance out. So whilst backs are very much part of this system, everything tends to become generic.
Yes forwards have nearly always been the winning factor in teams but that style is even more prominent now.
There is no problem is disagreeing but I think that the great tries of days gone by are now becoming very few and far between.

Pods do generate opportunities close to the line but Scots are prepared to run the ball from anywhere.
Take a look at their final try on Saturday which started from close to their own line.
If I have any criticism of Scots current game it is the box kick.
Perfected in the Northern hemisphere we often get it wrong down here and very few schoolboy scrum halves have a strong enough boot to get the height and distance that makes it work.
Newington also charged one down late in the game and almost scored.
Protection from forwards on the edge of the ruck is critical to prevent this from happening.
Not sure Scots have used it to great effect as yet.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Waverley team for $cots

1. H mcguiggan
2.donnohue
3. Aolelei
4. Whiteman
5. A rice (back in from week's rest)
6. T. murphy
7. B Patterson (in for Molloy's concussion)
8. L Moretti
9. Thorn
10. Andrews (c)
11. Baldwin
12. Hutchinson-Walters
13 Milford
14 Kite
15. L Martin

Pod rugby v Old school Fire and brimstone ... with arguably more Roosters influence that Wicks

Key match-ups

Backrows - Brial Harris & Wellington v Moretti & Murphy

Fly Halves - Savala v Andrews

2nd Rows - Williams v Whiteman/Rice

Centres - ? v H-Walters & Milford

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Waverley team for $cots

1. H mcguiggan
2.donnohue
3. Aolelei
4. Whiteman
6. T. murphy
8. L Moretti
9. Thorn
10. Andrews (c)
11. Baldwin
12. Hutchinson-Walters
13 Milford
14 Kite
15. L Martin

Pod rugby v Old school Fire and brimstone . with arguably more Roosters influence that Wicks

Key match-ups

Thanks SDW. Has the makings of a great match. I would love to see Waves win it for the benefit of CAS v GPS this year and think they are a real chance if they can get off the line quickly in D and work hard at the breakdown to retain and pilfer possession.

Btw, what ever happened to Max Towns? Is he injured or perhaps playing 2nds?

S

sidelineview

Thanks SDW. Has the makings of a great match. I would love to see Waves win it for the benefit of CAS v GPS this year and think they are a real chance if they can get off the line quickly in D and work hard at the breakdown to retain and pilfer possession.

Btw, what ever happened to Max Towns? Is he injured or perhaps playing 2nds?

He's playing 3rds. Dont ask me why.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Waverley team for $cots

1. H mcguiggan
2.donnohue
3. Aolelei
4. Whiteman
6. T. murphy
8. L Moretti
9. Thorn
10. Andrews (c)
11. Baldwin
12. Hutchinson-Walters
13 Milford
14 Kite
15. L Martin

Pod rugby v Old school Fire and brimstone . with arguably more Roosters influence that Wicks

Key match-ups

SBW.

I haven't seen full Scots teamlist. But from what I understand:

- Williams is still injured
- they've made a few changes to starting line up from New game
- 2nd row is Brial and King - both in NSW u16s last year
- Waves may not be the only team with a Rooster in their centres.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
SBW.

I haven't seen full Scots teamlist. But from what I understand:

- Williams is still injured
- they've made a few changes to starting line up from New game
- 2nd row is Brial and King - both in NSW u16s last year
- Waves may not be the only team with a Rooster in their centres.

Will Williams be back soon? He was one of the best for NSW off the bench last year! And I hope to see him play again in rep teams.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Will Williams be back soon? He was one of the best for NSW off the bench last year! And I hope to see him play again in rep teams.

Hi W88.

Last I heard, he will be back soon. Hopefully he gets a few games in before they select rep teams. Is definitely a quality player. Very quick too for a big bloke.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Thanks rich.

Imagine a forward pack with the likes of

Williams, Bell, Harris, Moretti, Reimer, Freeman, Pollard... power, skill and tenacity all around. A tough pack to beat.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks rich.

Imagine a forward pack with the likes of

Williams, Bell, Harris, Moretti, Reimer, Freeman, Pollard. power, skill and tenacity all around. A tough pack to beat.

Sounds like a great start for a NSW pack W88, but the job has to start with CAS v GPS and you’d like to hope the CAS lads could go back to back after an extraordinary 2017 performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.