• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

I love Knox

Stan Wickham (3)
Don't be sorry, everyone is entitled to their comments. I wasn't trying to be difficult I just wanted to speak out for those boys that haven't been able to play reps for one reason or another. I remember I mention John Connelly as GPS 5/8 as I believe that's his best position. Someone disagreed and said someone else. I respected his comments like I respect yours.
I enjoy reading your posts just because I disagree doesn't make my disagreement right either. Its my opinion and my opinion only.

You've got class mate

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Thank you all for clarifying that, well done. That's funny you said that Whiteman was the best for Waverley against Riverview last week as Nick Hartman article in green and Gold mention that the best were No 3 Aholelei, 6 Murphy and 7 Molley.
Just because a player didn't play reps last year for CAS or NSW the selectors should overlook these boys. I know of at least 4 boys that have never played reps for school but have played reps for Gordon, NSW Country and Randwick. You also have other players that never had the ability as other boys but have now become a better player than those that play reps last year. I also now of 2 boys that were injured and were unavailable last year.
Selectors need to be picking the best players at the time of selections not going on who played what reps last year.

Just a point to note. Nick Hartman published the articles. He was not the author of the content. Last weeks match reports were written by Up the Guts, WLF and my self. We and other writers are all volunteers, as is Nick in a large way. We are not perfect and yes we have our favouritism. That is natural and to be expected although most writers do try and stick to the GnG guidelines and write a balanced article. It takes a lot of time and effort to write just 500 words, and many people choose not to contribute. Without the writers many people would go uninformed. So please take this into account when criticisms are posted publicly. And if there are others who would like to write reports, I am still after a Knox, Aloys, Cranbrook and Trinity report writers.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just as a thought experiment, two things I'd like to see that would make this forum more interesting and readable. First, it would be interesting to see a week in which no one wrote anything positive about anyone from the school with which they're connected, but only praised players from other schools. Guys, it's the same every year: this is going to be the year for Aloys, 18 Waverley players will make Australian Schoolboys and so on. It gets repetitive. And secondly, it would be nice to hold off predictions for who will play in representative teams until at least, say, the end of the first round of CAS games. The CAS teams are picked from six schools, and it's pointless gibbering about who will be in those sides when you haven't seen any of the other five schools play yet.

My two cents.

For what it's worth, based on last year and the trials so far, it looks like we're back with the familiar two-tiered competition, with Barker, Knox and Waverley fighting over the top three spots and Aloysius, Cranbrook and Trinity hoping for an upset here or there. But I reserve the right to change me mind when I've seen a bit more evidence!

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Just as a thought experiment, two things I'd like to see that would make this forum more interesting and readable. First, it would be interesting to see a week in which no one wrote anything positive about anyone from the school with which they're connected, but only praised players from other schools. Guys, it's the same every year: this is going to be the year for Aloys, 18 Waverley players will make Australian Schoolboys and so on. It gets repetitive. And secondly, it would be nice to hold off predictions for who will play in representative teams until at least, say, the end of the first round of CAS games. The CAS teams are picked from six schools, and it's pointless gibbering about who will be in those sides when you haven't seen any of the other five schools play yet.

My two cents.

For what it's worth, based on last year and the trials so far, it looks like we're back with the familiar two-tiered competition, with Barker, Knox and Waverley fighting over the top three spots and Aloysius, Cranbrook and Trinity hoping for an upset here or there. But I reserve the right to change me mind when I've seen a bit more evidence!

My Tips from May last year
My Tips for the year 2017 :
1/ Waves
2/ Barker
3/ Knox
4/ Aloys
5/ Trinity
6/ Cranbrook

And now this year
1/ Barker
2/Waves
3/ Aloys
4/Knox
5/Trinity
6/ Cranbrook (they need another celebration milestone year to appear on the horizon :) )

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Hi Axel.you sure Whiteman played NSW last year. I don't recall him in 1st or 2nds:)

BMW, Trust me, and I am not a Knox supporter, as Axel well knows, but Axel definitely knows his footy, he coaches Rep teams and keeps well abreast of exactly what is going on. Whiteman was called up and did play NSW school boys last year.
A smart, strong and tireless player, you would have him as part of any team.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
My Tips from May last year
My Tips for the year 2017 :
1/ Waves
2/ Barker
3/ Knox
4/ Aloys
5/ Trinity
6/ Cranbrook

And now this year
1/ Barker
2/Waves
3/ Aloys
4/Knox
5/Trinity
6/ Cranbrook (they need another celebration milestone year to appear on the horizon :) )

Redblack and Rod Skellet,

I think your predictions are well founded, given that Barker defeated Kings at Kings, and a very good Kings team, then Barker should win the CAS comp this year.

Reactions: BMW

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Redblack and Rod Skellet,

I think your predictions are well founded, given that Barker defeated Kings at Kings, and a very good Kings team, then Barker should win the CAS comp this year.

Barring no injuries to a few key players WLF. Those lads are playing a heck of a lot of Rugby and training a great deal. All it would take to change the odds is Reimer and Flaherty being injured and the mongrel in the forward pack would decrease somewhat. Not sure of depth there and it seems the gap between the 1's and the 2's is substantial. But I guess that applies to all teams

S

sidelineview

Barring no injuries to a few key players WLF. Those lads are playing a heck of a lot of Rugby and training a great deal. All it would take to change the odds is Reimer and Flaherty being injured and the mongrel in the forward pack would decrease somewhat. Not sure of depth there and it seems the gap between the 1's and the 2's is substantial. But I guess that applies to all teams

Depth in the opens can change from year to year as we all know. It can be the difference between taking out the coveted Premiership or falling short.
Waverley were lucky to have excellent depth last year and that saved them when they defeated Barker @ Barker in an all important match.
They've lacked depth in other years.

Hopefully Barker dont have any injuries to key players because they have worked hard to build a good 1st XV team and are deserved favourites.

ruckman7

Peter Burge (5)
Depth in the opens can change from year to year as we all know. It can be the difference between taking out the coveted Premiership or falling short.
Waverley were lucky to have excellent depth last year and that saved them when they defeated Barker @ Barker in an all important match.
They've lacked depth in other years.

Hopefully Barker dont have any injuries to key players because they have worked hard to build a good 1st XV team and are deserved favourites.

haha I get it "build"

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Auggies going to be a big test ... for Waverley

This age group at auggies has been red hot

And assuming the Japanese tour hasn't seen any injuries, and auggies are full strength, including Hopoate, then I expect a good battle

Again heart says Waverley, but head says auggies

Think the loss of Alex rice is a shame... as been impressed with his contributions

However return of moretti might see Waverley a chance..also a wet track might prove a factor

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Auggies going to be a big test . for Waverley

This age group at auggies has been red hot

And assuming the Japanese tour hasn't seen any injuries, and auggies are full strength, including Hopoate, then I expect a good battle

Again heart says Waverley, but head says auggies

Think the loss of Alex rice is a shame. as been impressed with his contributions

However return of moretti might see Waverley a chance..also a wet track might prove a factor

This is the game of the round. Augs played very well in Japan so will be a genuine test for Waves this weekend. The return of Moretti is a big plus for Waves.

Other games worth watching is Knox v Kinross and the 2 GPS match ups, View v Kings and Scotts v New.

scotsman18

Herbert Moran (7)
So just heard from the mill that Aloys have been dropped to the joeys 3rds tomorrow. Bit of disrespect from the GPS schools I think.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I can confirm this is the case.. I am sure the Aloys lads will give the Joeys 3rds a run for their money

I would certainly hope so, in fact they should beat a 3rds side by 50+.
I would think this is just a logistics issue, as knowing Joeys, they wouldn't pitch so low as to offend any school.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
The sports masters at all cas and gps schools have a logistical nightmare each weekend arranging games.. The ability of each team does play a part as no sports master wants to have their lads injured or a 100+ score line blow out... I recall last year Joeys did Barker a huge favour arranging a game for the Barker 1st XV against their 3rds when High pulled out.. no injuries and Barker won by 20 points but without Joeys Barker 1sts would not have played.... so there is never any disrespect playing any Joeys side irrespective of their grade...... If I was Aloys playing any Joeys team, bring your A game on the day or suffer the consequences....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.