• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
SDW,

I agree the Waves beat a very talented Auggies team today, and the score,thanks to 2 last minute Auggy tries, did not reflect the difference. The Waves were way better drilled.
Moretti could be playing 1st colts, words fail me, he is a pleasure to watch, not play against!

The Waves no.22 today Lathan Hutchinson-Walters was up there with Moretti, super talent and in year 11.

They play Scots next week, and some think the Waves will get a hiding, can't see it.

What’s the definition of a hiding?

I think we saw this today. Waverley totally outclassed across the park today and unfortunately picking up 4/5 nasty injuries. Wishing those boys a speedy recovery.
On a positive not as I mentioned before Waverley no 22 Latham outstanding today and deserved his teams best player award , for Scots Harris no 8 best on ground by far , a real talent .

Reactions: WLF

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
What’s the definition of a hiding?

I think we saw this today. Waverley totally outclassed across the park today and unfortunately picking up 4/5 nasty injuries. Wishing those boys a speedy recovery.
On a positive not as I mentioned before Waverley no 22 Latham outstanding today and deserved his teams best player award , for Scots Harris no 8 best on ground by far , a real talent .

Hats off Show and Go, Scots were too good.

Harris was terrific, and Lathan is in year 11.

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
How did Trinity beat Joeys after Joeys performance last week against Shore? I don't understand this result - does someone have a game report they can share?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
wow ...congrats to Trinity! the CAS comp is shaping up as a good one

and Waverley are very lucky they don't face up to Barker and Trinity for 11 and 12 weeks respectively

as today was a shocker ... in terms of injuries

not sure who the ambulance was for? but certainly both the 1sts and 2nds suffered some casualties

so team rehab just got rather big ... hopefully there aren't too many season ending injuries

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Snorty, Mate I will not ever argue stats with you, sure you're not Bruce McAvanee?

Mind you I think we have probably won it more than twice, but correct me if I am wrong.

Correct! I didn’t say Waverley had only won in those years...

And this could be a good year for the five-round competition because each of the three schools who usually fill the lower half of the table looks capable of an upset on their day. Over a ten round competition quality and depth always win out but the five round competition has a sudden death feel to it that might add some interest.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
in terms of today ... $cots forwards were brutal and clinical .... and Scots left a lot of points out there .... so despite my being a Waverley supporter, I thought the score was flattering to Waverley

Moretti was quiet ... and did look to get a head knock early ... and Murphy similarly seemed to do a shoulder early

so things certainly didn't unfold well ....

Scots half back Strang .... I know his brother was (is) good ... but he has really improved since I last saw him ... although running off the back of that forward pack would be nice

Savala has always been one I thought had Aussie schoolboys written all over his game ... and he is definitely living up to my high expectations ... he would not be easy to stop close to the line, with those massive legs

and the Scots 12, Rugless (Roosters contracted , I gather) and the blonde 15 (Mossman)....only add a dangerous backline to an outrageously good forward pack ... Brial , Robson, Harris .. take your pick for MofM?!

I don't know who is going to be able to beat this team ... then again maybe Joeys or Kings needs to get the tape of the Stannies game

as for Waverley's best ... my mail was the 22 was sick ... and he did seem to kick a bit of ball away ... but he was still one of the more dangerous in the Double V

thought Daniel Andrews took a mountain of pressure ... and was commendable.

and both Rice and Whiteman played well .... but ultimately it was all Scots today ... too big , too strong and too well-drilled

oh well at least Waverley had some joy in the younger age groups :)

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Correct! I didn’t say Waverley had only won in those years.

And this could be a good year for the five-round competition because each of the three schools who usually fill the lower half of the table looks capable of an upset on their day. Over a ten round competition quality and depth always win out but the five round competition has a sudden death feel to it that might add some interest.

Bruce, that is another very astute observation.

Remember for many many decades there was only a 1 round comp, which worked well, if you are good enough you win.
Had the silly home and away comp over the last few years remained, then Trinity would never have played/beaten Joeys.

This current/returning to how it was program, allows all of us to test ourselves vs a much broader number of schools.
I wonder whether others think this way, and whether 1 day there will be a comp made up of a number of divisions, which includes promotion and relegation.
Hope so.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think the one round competition with the extended 'trials' is a very good thing. It opens up the wider rugby community to each other in the trial games and the one-round competition is more likely to allow for some upsets than the grind of a two-round comp which always told against less strong schools. Looking at the CAS firsts results so far this year it looks like Barker are way out in front but other schools have been racking up some strong individual performances so upsets appear on paper top be entirely plausible.

I don't think a promotion-relegation system would work in schoolboys rugby in Sydney. There is too much disparity between schools' playing resources to make a 'club championship' system viable. And unlike clubs the top team changes enormously from year to year as Year 12 graduates. A couple of years ago for instance, Cranbrook had a very good 1st XV and won the CAS comp when it was over two rounds. But the vast majority of boys in the firsts that year were in Year 12 and they've been under performers since. Promoting them (if that would be the result of winning the firsts comp) based on their one strong year wouldn't have done anyone any good.

This trial system is only in its second year and has had a much bigger inclusion of ISA teams this year so it is still evolving. I would keep it going for a couple more years and then perhaps see whether it can be, or whether there is any appetite amongst schools for it to be more formalised.

Bruce, that is another very astute observation.

Remember for many many decades there was only a 1 round comp, which worked well, if you are good enough you win.
Had the silly home and away comp over the last few years remained, then Trinity would never have played/beaten Joeys.

This current/returning to how it was program, allows all of us to test ourselves vs a much broader number of schools.
I wonder whether others think this way, and whether 1 day there will be a comp made up of a number of divisions, which includes promotion and relegation.
Hope so.

Reactions: WLF

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Knox got taught a rugby lesson yesterday at Kings. Admittedly Knox were missing a few, but no excuses.....they got flogged. Kings were brutal at the breakdown, the kicking game of their 10 & 15 was excellent, and they have so much speed out wide. The grunt up the middle was where this game was won....Knox fell off tackle after tackle. Once the base was set, Kings flung it wide to their two huge and fast wingers, one of whom is 14/15 yrs old.
Knox will need to bounce back quickly, which I'm sure(hope) they will for View next week.
PS...congrats to Barker and Trinity for taking 2 GPS scalps today.

zeedok

Allen Oxlade (6)
Knox got taught a rugby lesson yesterday at Kings. Admittedly Knox were missing a few, but no excuses...they got flogged. Kings were brutal at the breakdown, the kicking game of their 10 & 15 was excellent, and they have so much speed out wide. The grunt up the middle was where this game was won..Knox fell off tackle after tackle. Once the base was set, Kings flung it wide to their two huge and fast wingers, one of whom is 14/15 yrs old.
Knox will need to bounce back quickly, which I'm sure(hope) they will for View next week.
PS.congrats to Barker and Trinity for taking 2 GPS scalps today.

Afraid to ask, but what was the final score?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
For Zeedok, Axel & Co.

29871EDD-88D9-4E42-81B4-178C8FAA9DC8.png

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
From what i saw of the Trinity players at the Scots 7s, i think they may be a better side, in 15s, this year than many are expecting. Sure 7s is very different to 15s. But still. It looked like they had quite a few good players regardless of the game format.
Post #325
Mmmmm

Tom Lambert was a stand-out for Trinity in Scots 7s tournament. Is an Angus Bell kind of prop imo.

How did he go yesterday?

Wouldn't surprise me if he makes CAS 1 or higher.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
^^^^^

You are a ‘seer’, Rich. Fair play to you.

Teams may reach out and try to put you on retainer as a ‘spotter’ for the rest of the Season! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.