• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Will CR? Is that a new kid?

Lachie Bible .... is he the latest Martin Pitt scholarship kid? If so good luck to him ... and hope his shoulder comes good.

Jack Ryan in 2nd row ? Either he has grown a lot or he is a vertically challenged 2nd rower. Waverley has an embarassment of tall timber spread across 1sts, 2nds and 16As.

I have always rated the big unit Cranbrook coach (Mark Giacheri).. he strikes me as an odd ball... you see him scurrying to his car to check he hasn't got a parking ticket ...but whether it is him, or his co-coaches (Cranbrook after all aren't under-resourced) he has come close to turning straw into gold.

last years Cranbrook cohort gave Waverley a good show ... although 11 of the names are not familar. I suspect they have closer to 6 back from last year

Anyways I think Cranbrook will be competitive ... but I for one will be surprised if they win in 2019

Main issue is depth ... so an easy pre-season is probably pretty sensible

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cranbrook was always one of the two strongest sides in this age group coming through (Knox was the other). So I expect them to be competitive this year. But a lot of their success in the junior ranks was due to the fact that Peter North was bigger and faster than the backs he played against. Where is he this year?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cranbrook was always one of the two strongest sides in this age group coming through (Knox was the other). So I expect them to be competitive this year. But a lot of their success in the junior ranks was due to the fact that Peter North was bigger and faster than the backs he played against. Where is he this year?

Oh - and a tip. Whatever you do, do not google "Peter North"!

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Will CR? Is that a new kid?

Lachie Bible .. is he the latest Martin Pitt scholarship kid? If so good luck to him . and hope his shoulder comes good.

Jack Ryan in 2nd row ? Either he has grown a lot or he is a vertically challenged 2nd rower. Waverley has an embarassment of tall timber spread across 1sts, 2nds and 16As.

I have always rated the big unit Cranbrook coach (Mark Giacheri).. he strikes me as an odd ball. you see him scurrying to his car to check he hasn't got a parking ticket .but whether it is him, or his co-coaches (Cranbrook after all aren't under-resourced) he has come close to turning straw into gold.

last years Cranbrook cohort gave Waverley a good show . although 11 of the names are not familar. I suspect they have closer to 6 back from last year

Anyways I think Cranbrook will be competitive . but I for one will be surprised if they win in 2019

Main issue is depth . so an easy pre-season is probably pretty sensible

Will Clunies-Ross is the flyhalf for Cranbrook. Suspect he is related to Henry Clunies-Ross? a promising winger for Sydney Uni, mightve even played a few games for the Waratahs. Graduate of the 2011 undefeated Trinity first XV with Jack Debreczeni and Scott Sio also.

Not a very common last name and if they are related, he will be a talent if he's anything like Henry!

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
"Henry Clunies-Ross? a promising winger for Sydney Uni, might've even played a few games for the Waratahs. Graduate of the 2011 undefeated Trinity first XV with Jack Debreczeni and Scott Sio also."

Henry had three years in the Trinity 1st XV. He was in the 2011 side, but Scott Sio had left Trinity by then - the Sio in that side was his brother Pat (who's now back at Eastwood after playing in France). Henry also played in France, with Lyon, and had a Waratahs contract but was injured early in the season. He's had another season-ending injury this year. He's a great talent, but injuries have held him back and he's running out of time to make an impact on Super Rugby.

Steve Jane23

Stan Wickham (3)

Was often a 2 horse race back in the day between brook and knox, as schools became bigger and schools become more 'diversified' it began to even out a lot. Much better this year having almost all teams in relative contention rather than just knox and brook as it seemingly used to be. Fire up for CAS footy.

concernedcranbrookmum

Bob McCowan (2)
Does anyone have any intel on the current status of Aloys 1st XV after their game v Pats and upcoming Shore game.

I think they may of had a couple injuries, they are contenders along with brook this year.

Yours Sincerely,

Concerned Cranbrook Mum

Fast Twitch Steve

Frank Row (1)
Does anyone know if Ronald Matia Volkman is injured or not?

He's the 10 from Waverley and my god does he have the package. Quite a short bloke but the combination of his palm, lateral movement, speed and game sense really sets him apart from the rest of the field.

Anyway, he posted on his social media that he was out for the season a few weeks ago but he was playing in the Joeys game so I am still sceptical if he is healthy. If he is in full form this is bad news for Cranbrook who are shaping up to be the likely bet for this years CAS premiership.

scotsman18

Herbert Moran (7)

Agreed re North, though it wouldn't surprise me if he was still one of the fastest players in CAS this season he burned Aloys multiple times last year. I vaguely remember hearing from a Cranbrook associate that he was coming off the bench in some trial games but not sure why, I presume a small injury in Pre season??

scotsman18

Herbert Moran (7)
Does anyone have any intel on the current status of Aloys 1st XV after their game v Pats and upcoming Shore game.

I think they may of had a couple injuries, they are contenders along with brook this year.

Yours Sincerely,

Concerned Cranbrook Mum

Things have been wrapped up pretty tight at Aloys this week not much intel to give but I was at the game last weekend and I don't recall any players being injured so I assume it will be the same team this weekend. If they have had any injuries then I am sorry but they are not contenders like Cranbrook, the rugby program this year just does not have the depth. But I will be happy to be proven wrong next weekend when Aloys take on Brook at Hordern, Concerned Cranbrook mum will I see you on the sidelines?

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)

Yours Sincerely,

Concerned Cranbrook Mum

Can't see Aloys being a threat at all this CAS season. They really struggled in this age group coming through until they allowed underage players to play in their own age, instead of year groups. Only then were they quite strong in 16a's however those players have now graduated and I believe it leaves some holes.

Nonetheless, they have some key players, Sidgreaves (9?) played NSW Gen Blue last year, along with Spalding (12), may have others I am unsure of. I don't think Aloys will be a complete write off, but I cant see them contending with Knox or Waverley. Happy to be proven wrong and good luck to them.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cranbrook's attitude to trials this year is smart. The focus of their season is the five CAS games starting in June. And their depth is not fantastic. So they need to go into the last five games with their best 15 ready to peak. There's not a lot of point being pounded by, say, Riverview and losing a couple of guys to injury in the process. Does this show a lack of ambition? Maybe. But it's quite pragmatic.

In contrast, Trinity, who have similar issues with depth, have played demanding trials against Newington, Riverview, Scots and I think they have King coming up. Yes, they've been toughened up by meeting strong opposition. But their captain took a head knock against Shore and missed some games, and other key players have been injured too. Trinity needs its strongest XV on the ground because after that the quality drops away. So tough trials present them with a difficult set of challenges.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Cranbrook's attitude to trials this year is smart. The focus of their season is the five CAS games starting in June. And their depth is not fantastic. So they need to go into the last five games with their best 15 ready to peak. There's not a lot of point being pounded by, say, Riverview and losing a couple of guys to injury in the process. Does this show a lack of ambition? Maybe. But it's quite pragmatic.

In contrast, Trinity, who have similar issues with depth, have played demanding trials against Newington, Riverview, Scots and I think they have King coming up. Yes, they've been toughened up by meeting strong opposition. But their captain took a head knock against Shore and missed some games, and other key players have been injured too. Trinity needs its strongest XV on the ground because after that the quality drops away. So tough trials present them with a difficult set of challenges.

Too right Snort. Very pragmatic from Cranbrook rugby. Have heard Trinity are struggling with injuries which is a real negative of their tough preseason, especially when one injury leaves a significant hole because of their depth as you say.

I also hear Ieremia, 100kg inside centre who has been talked about a lot has been missing. A Trinity side with him would've done some real damage. Another young islander lad who played 8 last year is also out injured, if they are back for the CAS rounds they could be dangerous. But at the moment, quite understrength. Hawkes (3) is their real danger man as well as Vuki (10) when he returns from the head knock and Hennessey (13).

The Sydney Rugby Ref

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes very true, our boys were extremely powerful today against the GPS 16a front runners, and this Joeys side is the real deal.
Our boys are clearly also, and like the fantastic Waves 2017 side this side all play together at Randwick, and will probably win the Club A comp. So this Waves team is the real deal. Point to note that so is the View side, Kings, side and Joeys side it s a very gifted age group.

When year 12 hits for these boys, they will also have the back up of our 15a side which also has a number of great players. They also beat a good Joeys side today at Joeys on no.1,despite a penalty count to Joeys of 30-2.

Wow... 30-2 PK against, and your lads team still beat Joeys at HH...
The ref didn't happen to be our ol' mate from last year WLF? I heard he hasn't been doing too many games down at QP this season, so maybe he is scouting around other school grounds in order to get a gig or two... :)

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Wow. 30-2 PK against, and your lads team still beat Joeys at HH.
The ref didn't happen to be our ol' mate from last year WLF? I heard he hasn't been doing too many games down at QP this season, so maybe he is scouting around other school grounds in order to get a gig or two. :)

Ha, no it wasn't our mate, and yes this 15as team is exceptional.

YOUR mate did ref our 16as team 2 weeks ago and caused carnage, sent 1 of our boys off after having a pushing contest with another boy. We all saw it right in front of us, absolutely nothing in it.
So he spoke to both boys, gave the opposition a penalty and gave our boy a RED card for head butting, people nearly jumped the fence! Then in his report,rather than missing the next week, he recommended a 3 week penalty. The judiciary gave him the standard 1 week!
Someone needs to whisper in his ear, how bout you!

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
HT Barker 26 Shore 14. Red card to Shore no 13. Lifting tackle after coping a yellow earlier

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
HT at Northbridge, Barker 26 - Shore 14. Shore No13 red carded just prior to HT.

Was YC earlier and then did a tip tackle which gained him another YC which meant red.

Barker look much stronger, scrum is dominating, 2 tries to Kyle Galloway.