• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Any tips for tomorrow's games fellas?

Brook vs Aloys
Whatever the outcome, it'll give us an indication of where both sides are leading into the CAS Season. A lot of talk about Cranbrook being strong, Aloysius being not-so. I'm going to suggest Cranbrook by a close margin - 7-10 points.

Knox vs Scots
Knox not short on confidence (are they ever) coming up against a frustrated Scots side after last weeks loss. Will be the match of the round I'll say. Scots quite good at winning games against opponents they are traditionally stronger than, plus score could blow out if the Knox boys feel beaten early. Scots by 15.

Trinity vs Joeys 2's
Would be hard to go past Joeys this weekend - but I've also heard that Trinity may not be playing due to a high injury count? Can anyone in the Trinity camp confirm? If this is false, despite Trinity always putting up a great fight against stronger sides, they are considerably understrength so I'm going to say Joeys by 15.

Waves vs View
This also should be a beauty. Waverley are now becoming a feared force among GPS schools, however Riverview brushed both them and Barker aside with ease last season. Havent heard much from View this season, but after Waves couple of strong performances, I'm going Waves by 10-15.

Barker vs Newington
Both sides that have flown under the radar a little bit. Barker put a LOT of tries on Shore, plus Newington beat this years favourites Knox very convincingly. Very difficult to tell, but I'm going to say Newington's star studded backline may be a bit too good. The GPS darkhorses by 10-15.

Thoughts?

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any tips for tomorrow's games fellas?

Thoughts?

Cross posted from GPS forum:

Aloys Vs Cranbrook
Aloys are not as strong as last year, but on their day can beat anyone. However, Cranbrook have always been frontrunners in this age group, and with some new tall timber this year are real contenders. Brook by 15.

Waverley V Riverview
Riverview are still to hit their straps, while Waverley will be smarting after their second half capitulation last week. Waverley by 20.

Knox V Scots
Knox have had 4 of their 1st's out for the past few weeks (3 of which were NSW U16's, one CAS 16's). 2 of them are back this week, which will see them lift in forwards and backs. When the current Year 12 Scots met Knox in the 16A's, the Year 8 Scots touchie didn't put his flag up when the Scots winger was tackled into touch - resulting in a converted try to Scots to draw the game 19-19. This return match at Knox should be a cracker - Knox by 5.

Newington V Barker
Barker have been flying under the radar so far this year. They have a strong forward pack led by Pollard, and with the likes of Galloway out wide their defence will be strong. If Newington have Weekes and Maka out, they will struggle to score the points they need. Barker by 10.

Trinity V Joeys 2's
Joeys 2's are traditionally not far off their 1's. Even without injuries, this will be a tough gig for Trinity. Joeys by 5.

Looking forward to a cracking weekend of schoolboy rugby!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
My tips

Waverley v View
If Waverley were full strength, I'd be tipping them ... as they have improved dramatically since their earlier season match versus View. However I see Waves are without their 12 (H-Walters) and 13 (Midford). And seems like Aisea Aholei is being nursed back from injury (in 2nds).

So I suspect (hope) Coleman/Cornish are resting a few in lead up to Round 1 ... so 2 weeks off should be a good refresher. Now WLF would know better than me ... real injury news. [16As monster Clem Halaholo I see has recovered from his elbow injury and he should stick around and get a run in 1sts ... he is good enough.]

So an under-strength Waverley means View should be too strong ... and sadly not match of the round.

Scots v Knox
Hmmm this could be interesting ... I thought Savala was just out last week with a lurgy ... so my mail on him must have been wrong. Either way Scots coming in without a key playmaker. However I think Knox are not at the same level as Scots ... Scots just too profesional. So I think Brian Smith will have the golden boys ready to out bag-pipe their northern cousins. So think Scots will account for Knox in a canter. So will bring Knox back to reality, after what has to date, been a great pre-season.

Aloys v Brook
From what I have been told Cranbrook are not taking this game lightly ... so while slightly under-strength ... I think Cranbrook will show they are good even without 1 or 2 big names. Plus it's a home game, so the boys will be trying to impress the ESPs (eastern suburbs princesses ... for those not up with the lingo)

Barker v Newington

I think Barker are going to show they are a real contender, and will out-muscle Newington, despite it being a good arm wrestle. Newington's bash and barge won't work against a pretty solid Barker pack ... led by Aussie encumbant Pollard (2). So tipping Barker in a close one

Joeys v Kings

Look it is a shame it is a dead rubber or a trial, but I think this is the match of the round. Kings are building well, and Joeys as usual are spoilt for choice. However my money is on Kings, in what should be a titanic battle. Sualli loves this ground, so I think he will be the difference, and I think it will be a high scoring affair.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Scots v Knox
Hmmm this could be interesting . I thought Savala was just out last week with a lurgy . so my mail on him must have been wrong. Either way Scots coming in without a key playmaker. However I think Knox are not at the same level as Scots . Scots just too profesional. So I think Brian Smith will have the golden boys ready to out bag-pipe their northern cousins. So think Scots will account for Knox in a canter. So will bring Knox back to reality, after what has to date, been a great pre-season.

Interesting SDW - you do not consider Knox strong contenders for Scots? I agree Scots will be too strong due to their professionalism and flawless structure but I am interested in why you think they will brush aside Knox easily?

Looking at things logically - Knox beat Joeys, Joeys beat Scots, therefore Knox should beat Scots. I understand this is not how rugby works but it is a factor. On the contrary, Joeys were without many key players, particularly Gibbs, and Newington thrashed Knox, while Scots thrashed Newington. Go figure.

What an interesting season we have here comrades!

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Waves vs View
This also should be a beauty. Waverley are now becoming a feared force among GPS schools, however Riverview brushed both them and Barker aside with ease last season. Havent heard much from View this season, but after Waves couple of strong performances, I'm going Waves by 10-15.

Yeah nah, there was only a couple of points in it, and it was definitely not with ease.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Trinity website is showing the 1st XV as having a "bye", so I assume they have decided to take the week off, preserve what players they have left, and try to patch up the rest for CAS Round One. It's not a great look, to be honest, but probably the sensible option in the circumstances.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
My tips

Waverley v View
If Waverley were full strength, I'd be tipping them . as they have improved dramatically since their earlier season match versus View. However I see Waves are without their 12 (H-Walters) and 13 (Midford). And seems like Aisea Aholei is being nursed back from injury (in 2nds).

So I suspect (hope) Coleman/Cornish are resting a few in lead up to Round 1 . so 2 weeks off should be a good refresher. Now WLF would know better than me . real injury news. [16As monster Clem Halaholo I see has recovered from his elbow injury and he should stick around and get a run in 1sts . he is good enough.]

So an under-strength Waverley means View should be too strong . and sadly not match of the round.

Scots v Knox
Hmmm this could be interesting . I thought Savala was just out last week with a lurgy . so my mail on him must have been wrong. Either way Scots coming in without a key playmaker. However I think Knox are not at the same level as Scots . Scots just too profesional. So I think Brian Smith will have the golden boys ready to out bag-pipe their northern cousins. So think Scots will account for Knox in a canter. So will bring Knox back to reality, after what has to date, been a great pre-season.

Aloys v Brook
From what I have been told Cranbrook are not taking this game lightly . so while slightly under-strength . I think Cranbrook will show they are good even without 1 or 2 big names. Plus it's a home game, so the boys will be trying to impress the ESPs (eastern suburbs princesses . for those not up with the lingo)

Barker v Newington

I think Barker are going to show they are a real contender, and will out-muscle Newington, despite it being a good arm wrestle. Newington's bash and barge won't work against a pretty solid Barker pack . led by Aussie encumbant Pollard (2). So tipping Barker in a close one

Joeys v Kings

Look it is a shame it is a dead rubber or a trial, but I think this is the match of the round. Kings are building well, and Joeys as usual are spoilt for choice. However my money is on Kings, in what should be a titanic battle. Sualli loves this ground, so I think he will be the difference, and I think it will be a high scoring affair.

My Tips,

View v Waves

View are a solid team this year and the Waves have a few key players missing, and it is at Lane Cove.
Waves by 20+. HA HA HA! A draw!

Scots v Knox,

Haven't seen Knox but have seen Scots play Joeys on video. I actually thought Scots looked strong and suspect they will play better from now on. I know Knox beat Joeys but it wasn't the same Joeys team that the Waves and Scots bumped into recently, a reality check here for Knox. Scots by 20+

Aloys v Brook

Again haven't seen either but knowing a few Brook dads well, they have high expectations this year. I still don't get their pre-season where they don't play even a few big guns but rather maryhadalittlelamb teams. So at home.
Brook by 20+

Barker v Newington

Haven't seen either but from weekly reports I have read on both teams, they both have some real strengths.
Barker's forwards v New backs, given that option, we know who should win.
Barker by 12.

Joeys V Kings

I have seen both of these teams and they are a pleasure to watch!
Some real stars in both teams and could easily go either way.
Both back lines are wonderful. This time, given it is a trial, and it is at Joeys.
So Joeys by 10.
The other way around in the comp, assuming it will be at Kings.
Ha that stuffed you all!

Finally to keep my ol mate Snort happy, Trinity should win in a canter and without injury!

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
The Trinity website is showing the 1st XV as having a "bye", so I assume they have decided to take the week off, preserve what players they have left, and try to patch up the rest for CAS Round One. It's not a great look, to be honest, but probably the sensible option in the circumstances.

You are correct. Joeys 2nds are playing Kings 2nds at Hunter Hill.
Trinity 2nds are playing Joeys 6ths
Trinity 3rds are playing Joeys 9ths.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
New lead Barker 12/7. 2 yellow cards and a red.. not saying either team are breaking rules deliberately but possibly a ref over reaction.. wrecking the game...

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
New have 12 players and Barker 13.... some of these penalties have been to regular by New which has denied Barker the chance to score when only 5 m out from the New line

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
went all the way out to HH, to see schoolboy prodigy Sualli for the first time in 2019

unfortunately he was a no show ... what happened?

my 2 cents worth

Joeys were a bit off their game ... haven't seen them drop so much ball ... it was a bit cold ... however Kings handled ball better.

Kings were playing great, given they were missing their star, and apparently other front liners

The Kings 1 (Goldsmith?) was a revelation ... particularly in terms of scrums. The Ref did his best to nullify his dominance ... other than that I guess he wasn't too bad.

He (the Ref) probably handled well ....a possible 3rd Joeys try, which seemed to be denied by the schoolboy touchie. Hard when the flag goes up. Altgh really needed a video ref on that one ... and a penalty for high tackle was probably the right decision.

Such was Kings scrum dominance ...that At half-time Blades (who I don't think is really the coach) was trying to give some scrum tips to the Joeys 3.

Dan O'Brien (13) seemed like he was carrying a minor leg irritation ... so he was a bit out of sorts

however even a bit off his normal game ... O'Brien was still the difference ... with 2 tries

Joeys lost their 7 Dalton (relatively late in game) to what looked like a head knock ... but seemed pretty fine ... so would expect he will be Ok

My points
Joeys
3. points to the whole JOeys backrow ... 6,7 & 8 ... don't think there is a better GPS backrow
2. points ...Chan (12) hard to better his 10 and 13, but he did today
1 point Obrien (13)

Kings
3 points the red-head prop, Goldsmith (1) ... a back-peddling scrum was part of Joeys problem
2 points - nuggety 12 .. assume this was Connolly ... not big but high quality, attack and defence
1 point ... hard to pick as they really played as a team ... the pint sized 8, the winger 14 (Williams) ... the 15 (Jason Little's son?), all the forwards

I think Joeys would be a bit worried by this performance ... but probably just a scrum tune-up the main issue, the dropped ball was probably just a bad day at the office

to me Kings are 2019 favourites ... full strength they will take some beating .... however really going to be a good year for AAGPS ......where other than Shore, any team is capable of beating any other team, long as they roll out of bed ... the right side

maybe if you were a betting man you might say Joeys are really equal favourites as they have the depth ... should injury strike.

So look forward to return Kings v Joeys return match ... trouble is it is at Parramatta :(

Oops not sure how I put this in CAS thread ... oh well.