• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
The biggest issue for Waverley now appears to be the injury toll.

Alex Rice
Fretton
Will Baker
Latham Walters
Levi Milford
Elmes

Didn’t play today and there appeared to be a couple more taken off including a concussion today- so possibly understrength for CAS.

I believe there were 6 u16’s players in Waverley firsts today, including one that played a full game in the u16’s before being called up due to injury in the warm up. That may explain why Waverley 16a’s didn’t have such a big win as well.

Thanks Running R spot on. SDW that explains the 16as result.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Wow, lots of room in what positions? Ha.

Does appear our CAS rep team forwards will be pretty dam good.

By the sounds of it, Barker are favs for the CAS comp, do you think?

Just love baiting the double Vee.... Waves are favourites. Their performance in Sannix Cup was fantastic. Deserve to CAS favourites. Not sure what to make of Knox this year. Inconsistent. And it seems Cranbrook struggled past Aloys. If Barker are injury free then Cranbrook will be in for a tough hello at Hornsby next weekend.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Just love baiting the double Vee.. Waves are favourites. Their performance in Sannix Cup was fantastic. Deserve to CAS favourites. Not sure what to make of Knox this year. Inconsistent. And it seems Cranbrook struggled past Aloys. If Barker are injury free then Cranbrook will be in for a tough hello at Hornsby next weekend.

You funny bastard, but it worked! HA.

Whilst it can always depend on the day, I suspect it will be a Red & Blue v Double V battle to win the CAS at Ayres Rock!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
and with the pre-season now all done . don't think there were many GPS scalps . unless I am mistaken

only Knox bagged one .. the win against Joeys.

Waverley did have 2 draws against View and Kings, but lost narrowly to Joeys, and lost in a rusty first game match against View
Barker - I don't think bagged a scalp. Unless they beat Shore?
Trinity - same . no scalps?
Cranners & Aloys - really didn't give it a go. Although Aloys played Shore?

so unless the above is wrong .. my conclusion

.CAS is narrowing the divide . but GPS heavyweights probably still rule the roost
Think Barker and Trinity both beat Shore?

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Hey WLF. Have you seen the shit fight that is going on in Qld schoolboy rugby... They have selected their 2 teams for the national at Riverview already and because 8 of the 9 GPS schools boycotted the selection trials for some reason, only Gregory Terrace lads were included in the 2 sides. So at Riverview this year Qld sides will be without players from, Nudgee, Churchie, BBC, TSS, State High, Towoomba and Ipswich. I have no idea how Australian selectors are going to get a good read on those kids who missed out due to politics.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Hey WLF. Have you seen the shit fight that is going on in Qld schoolboy rugby. They have selected their 2 teams for the national at Riverview already and because 8 of the 9 GPS schools boycotted the selection trials for some reason, only Gregory Terrace lads were included in the 2 sides. So at Riverview this year Qld sides will be without players from, Nudgee, Churchie, BBC, TSS, State High, Towoomba and Ipswich. I have no idea how Australian selectors are going to get a good read on those kids who missed out due to politics.

Rod, I didn't know anything about the QLD situation. Sounds tragic for everyone, including our Aussie school boy team, surely sanity will prevail!

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
My Tips,

View v Waves

View are a solid team this year and the Waves have a few key players missing, and it is at Lane Cove.
Waves by 20+. HA HA HA! A draw!

Scots v Knox,

Haven't seen Knox but have seen Scots play Joeys on video. I actually thought Scots looked strong and suspect they will play better from now on. I know Knox beat Joeys but it wasn't the same Joeys team that the Waves and Scots bumped into recently, a reality check here for Knox. Scots by 20+

Aloys v Brook

Again haven't seen either but knowing a few Brook dads well, they have high expectations this year. I still don't get their pre-season where they don't play even a few big guns but rather maryhadalittlelamb teams. So at home.
Brook by 20+

Barker v Newington

Haven't seen either but from weekly reports I have read on both teams, they both have some real strengths.
Barker's forwards v New backs, given that option, we know who should win.
Barker by 12.

Joeys V Kings

I have seen both of these teams and they are a pleasure to watch!
Some real stars in both teams and could easily go either way.
Both back lines are wonderful. This time, given it is a trial, and it is at Joeys.
So Joeys by 10.
The other way around in the comp, assuming it will be at Kings.
Ha that stuffed you all!

Finally to keep my ol mate Snort happy, Trinity should win in a canter and without injury!

OK so I picked the View v Waves score!
For my next trick, who wants next weeks Lotto numbers?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
So, it’s been a good preseason for Waverley. They’ve leaked a lot of points, however - their attitude seems to be, however many the other side scores, they’ll score more. Their form suggests that they can beat you by a lot, but also that they are vulnerable to a side that controls possession and defends well.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
So, it’s been a good preseason for Waverley. They’ve leaked a lot of points, however - their attitude seems to be, however many the other side scores, they’ll score more. Their form suggests that they can beat you by a lot, but also that they are vulnerable to a side that controls possession and defends well.

To be fair, I think most of the points scored by all the teams like Joeys,Kings, View and Waves have been due to great school boy rugby ie great attack rather than poor defense. Their are some very talented boys playing this year who create tries through slick ball movement,speed etc.
It's been a pleasure to watch, more entertaining than the men!

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
Was at the Barker vs New game yesterday and have a few thoughts:
1. Gutsy effort from the Barker team to have a red card in the fifth minute and finish a penalty goal behind.
2. Newington 8,4 and 7 were by far their best players - Newingtons attack mainly came through them rather than the heralded backs on this occasion
3. Newington was without Weekes, which clearly makes a difference, but tolu and latu were totally contained by great defence by Jones, Galloway, Vass and Pollard in particular
4. The referee affected what could have been a great attacking game with 2 teams who throw it wide. The red and 2 yellows to Barker, and 3/4 yellows to newington plus high penalty count (balanced) meant the play rarely went past 3 phases and set plays were all over the place
5. The return of Adrian Brown to the Barker front row in the second half after 5 weeks out makes a massive difference to the power and balance of the Barker pack - they really could have had some different results in the last few weeks with him in the team
6. Pollard was brutal in defence yesterday - he brought intimidation to what ever part of the field he is patrolling
7. Barker tries yesterday were the blue print for their season so far - the rolling maul off a line out, Ovenden slicing through from 10, and his long passing connecting to Vass out wide (with Galloway held up by a superb ball and all tackle by the Newington #14 when he looked certain to score on the end of a 20m pass).
Going into CAS, Barker seem to be getting their defensive act together. Scoring has not been a problem - retaining possession and allowing too many opposition tries has killed them. The scrum is powerful now it’s at full strength, and the line out is efficient near the opposition line, usually converting those opportunities into tries. In the backs, Ovenden at 10 has broken through in all games for tries to himself or try assists, and his combination with Vass and Galloway through long passes and cross field kicks has resulted in points in every game when possession has come their way.

They’ve played 4 hard games in the past 5 weeks, and seem to be getting close to full strength for the first time this year as they go into the premiership rounds.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Was at the Barker vs New game yesterday and have a few thoughts:
1. Gutsy effort from the Barker team to have a red card in the fifth minute and finish a penalty goal behind.
2. Newington 8,4 and 7 were by far their best players - Newingtons attack mainly came through them rather than the heralded backs on this occasion
3. Newington was without Weekes, which clearly makes a difference, but tolu and latu were totally contained by great defence by Jones, Galloway, Vass and Pollard in particular
4. The referee affected what could have been a great attacking game with 2 teams who throw it wide. The red and 2 yellows to Barker, and 3/4 yellows to newington plus high penalty count (balanced) meant the play rarely went past 3 phases and set plays were all over the place
5. The return of Adrian Brown to the Barker front row in the second half after 5 weeks out makes a massive difference to the power and balance of the Barker pack - they really could have had some different results in the last few weeks with him in the team
6. Pollard was brutal in defence yesterday - he brought intimidation to what ever part of the field he is patrolling
7. Barker tries yesterday were the blue print for their season so far - the rolling maul off a line out, Ovenden slicing through from 10, and his long passing connecting to Vass out wide (with Galloway held up by a superb ball and all tackle by the Newington #14 when he looked certain to score on the end of a 20m pass).
Going into CAS, Barker seem to be getting their defensive act together. Scoring has not been a problem - retaining possession and allowing too many opposition tries has killed them. The scrum is powerful now it’s at full strength, and the line out is efficient near the opposition line, usually converting those opportunities into tries. In the backs, Ovenden at 10 has broken through in all games for tries to himself or try assists, and his combination with Vass and Galloway through long passes and cross field kicks has resulted in points in every game when possession has come their way.

They’ve played 4 hard games in the past 5 weeks, and seem to be getting close to full strength for the first time this year as they go into the premiership rounds.

Great read. I still think the Newington backs had a big impact. Their strength down the left side really put them on the front foot on multiple occasions.