• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
Is there a final score in that report?
From gps forum, results are;
Waves 36 - View 36 (View scoring on the bell)
New 22 - Barker 19 (First half saw 2 yellow cards to both teams and a red to New).
Anyone have Cranbrook Aloys?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
How did Cranners go?

Depending on how that results goes ... my guess is CAS ... is a 4 horse race ... with Knox and Waverley most likely ... however Cranners and Barker certainly in the mix.

Any injuries of note?

Jason_phillips_Knox

Stan Wickham (3)
Cranbrook 12 - Aloys 5...

Cranbrook’s defence was superb as they defended the whole game. Probably 20+ knock ons by the brook. Aloys had there good moments but too much kicking

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
and with the pre-season now all done ... don't think there were many GPS scalps ... unless I am mistaken

only Knox bagged one .. the win against Joeys.

Waverley did have 2 draws against View and Kings, but lost narrowly to Joeys, and lost in a rusty first game match against View
Barker - I don't think bagged a scalp. Unless they beat Shore?
Trinity - same ... no scalps?
Cranners & Aloys - really didn't give it a go. Although Aloys played Shore?

so unless the above is wrong .. my conclusion

...CAS is narrowing the divide ... but GPS heavyweights probably still rule the roost

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting game at Stanmore.

Newington defeated Barker 22/19 in a very physical and at times brutal game. The 6 yellow cards and one red card certainly had a impact on how this game was played.

Barkers Ned Slack Smith was on the tough end of a touch judge report 8 minutes into the match, for a tackle that resulted in the New lad rolling on his neck and picked up the red card. The problem this writer has with that is that both forwards were defending low to the ground like no more than thigh height. Try tackling a guy at that height without lifting him past the horizontal. almost impossible.

Anyway that started a flood of cards that really impacted the game. At one stage it was 15 Newington on 13 Reds, but then swung to 13 Reds on 12 Newington just after halftime.

When both sides played football it was clear the Barker forwards had the edge with Billy Pollard and Jordan Cameron really stamping their authority on the game. For Newington though, their forwards did enough to get clean ball to their electric backs. Tolu Koula 15 was on fire today and he was really the difference.

I rate this Newington side if they can keep the ball. I think their forwards are good enough to keep their own 1st phase ball in tight and their backs will really threaten when given space.

For Barker it was another narrow loss.

Most regulars on this site know I have Red glasses on but it will not surprise me if the Barker front row of Wilson, Pollard & Brown dismantle most CAS front rows. Cameron is a class 2nd rower and Mitch Wheels is a ferocious no 7.

From all reports Waverley are the side to beat in the CAS comp. Cranbrook who are also rated highly have not played any top school while Knox seem inconsistent.

I think the CAS comp will come down to elimination of errors. The team that keeps the error rate low will win.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
For the combined CAS side this year, I have enormous confident that the CAS forwards will be as strong or stronger than the GPS side. I have seen all the GPS teams save Scots, and the Barker pack was never bested against any team and no GPS side had any really tall timber, so in that regard CAS looks pretty good.

Where the GPS side will have a big advantage is in the backs. Jude Gibbs (J), Sualli,(K) Koula(N), Latu(N) are just electric so I am hoping that our Death Valley friends have some lads with some serious pace to take on the GPS speedster. Otherwise CAS will be putting Billy Pollard in the centres to stop the Sualli and his GPS brethren.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
and with the pre-season now all done . don't think there were many GPS scalps . unless I am mistaken

only Knox bagged one .. the win against Joeys.

Waverley did have 2 draws against View and Kings, but lost narrowly to Joeys, and lost in a rusty first game match against View
Barker - I don't think bagged a scalp. Unless they beat Shore?
Trinity - same . no scalps?
Cranners & Aloys - really didn't give it a go. Although Aloys played Shore?

so unless the above is wrong .. my conclusion

.CAS is narrowing the divide . but GPS heavyweights probably still rule the roost

SDW, the Waves today played without Lathan HW (so no kicker and we scored more tries than view today but couldn't convert),no Alex Rice (who rolled his ankle in the warm up - poor boy) and no strong no 6 Arso. Waverley are up there with the top GPS teams, there is nothing between us and them, at full strength the Waves will be very hard to beat.

garyuren

Bob McCowan (2)
For the combined CAS side this year, I have enormous confident that the CAS forwards will be as strong or stronger than the GPS side. I have seen all the GPS teams save Scots, and the Barker pack was never bested against any team and no GPS side had any really tall timber, so in that regard CAS looks pretty good.

Where the GPS side will have a big advantage is in the backs. Jude Gibbs (J), Sualli,(K) Koula(N), Latu(N) are just electric so I am hoping that our Death Valley friends have some lads with some serious pace to take on the GPS speedster. Otherwise CAS will be putting Billy Pollard in the centres to stop the Sualli and his GPS brethren.

Which teams from CAS do you believe will make up the combined CAS team this year ?? I reckon it will be Waverley and Knox but interested as to your opinion

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

Relax Rod, a few of your Death Valley back line mates are as good as the GPS stars, Lathan HW, Ronald V, case in hand, the CAS pack should be enormous and powerful. If we can control possession, we will win, I have no doubt.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wlf, I agree Waverley def competitive against gps

Today’s results
13As...won 21-14
14As... lost 0-20
15As...won 52-0
16As...won 20-19
2nds... lost 19-24
1sts ...drew 36-36

View must have a good 16As! To come that close

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Relax Rod, a few of your Death Valley back line mates are as good as the GPS stars, Lathan HW, Ronald V, case in hand, the CAS pack should be enormous and powerful. If we can control possession, we will win, I have no doubt.

I have not seen the double Vee play this year but from all reports they seem the goods and are worthy favourites.. If you have some quality backs then the CAS forwards will be better than the GPS lads. I can say I have been really happy with the strength of the Barker forwards which will auger well for the CAS team later in the year.

From Barkers perspective the following lads will be in genuine contention for the CAS 1st side. Wilson 1 Pollard 2 Brown (3). Adrian Brown single handed monstered the New pack today when he came on in the second half after a 8 week absence due to injury.

Jordan Cameron (5) is the best 2nd rower I have seen from all the GPS schools Barker has played while Dan Stovold 6 and Mitch Wheels 7 are are a fit strong back row especially over the ball and are fine tacklers.

In the backs, Hilton Ovenden is a wonderfull Stephen Larkham style 10 while Kyle Galloway 11 and Lucas Vass have not put a foot wrong all year.

That leaves lots of room for the schools south of the bridge to fill in the gaps.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
The biggest issue for Waverley now appears to be the injury toll.

Alex Rice
Fretton
Will Baker
Latham Walters
Levi Milford
Elmes

Didn’t play today and there appeared to be a couple more taken off including a concussion today- so possibly understrength for CAS.

I believe there were 6 u16’s players in Waverley firsts today, including one that played a full game in the u16’s before being called up due to injury in the warm up. That may explain why Waverley 16a’s didn’t have such a big win as well.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I have not seen the double Vee play this year but from all reports they seem the goods and are worthy favourites.. If you have some quality backs then the CAS forwards will be better than the GPS lads. I can say I have been really happy with the strength of the Barker forwards which will auger well for the CAS team later in the year.

From Barkers perspective the following lads will be in genuine contention for the CAS 1st side. Wilson 1 Pollard 2 Brown (3). Adrian Brown single handed monstered the New pack today when he came on in the second half after a 8 week absence due to injury.

Jordan Cameron (5) is the best 2nd rower I have seen from all the GPS schools Barker has played while Dan Stovold 6 and Mitch Wheels 7 are are a fit strong back row especially over the ball and are fine tacklers.

In the backs, Hilton Ovenden is a wonderfull Stephen Larkham style 10 while Kyle Galloway 11 and Lucas Vass have not put a foot wrong all year.

That leaves lots of room for the schools south of the bridge to fill in the gaps.

Wow, lots of room in what positions? Ha.

Does appear our CAS rep team forwards will be pretty dam good.

By the sounds of it, Barker are favs for the CAS comp, do you think?