• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Upset @ Hunters Hill 34-26 to Knox

Joeys were rubbish in the first half.
They won the second half 19-3 but were still awful.
Well done KNOX on the result. You may have done Joeys a favour just like Trinity and Barker did in 2018.
You learn more from a loss than a win.

J Dog Fenton

Peter Burge (5)
Joeys were rubbish in the first half.
They won the second half 19-3 but were still awful.
Well done KNOX on the result. You may have done Joeys a favour just like Trinity and Barker did in 2018.
You learn more from a loss than a win.
Credit where credit is due, and coming off a loss to newington last week Knox really rose to the occasion and put on a show for all

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Knox wow! A joeys scalp.

A joeys without Gibbs is not so slick ...might be a superficial conclusion

However joeys 2018, showed how preseason losses count for little, in terms of the comp

Waverley I see had a good day ... won 1sts... 15-0, despite being without 3 of their best players,2nds, 3rds

And all A teams except 13As.

Wlf, bring on Joeys next weekend

Cranbrook have given themselves a easy pre season, whether it proves the masterstroke ... time will tell.

However seems like CAS going to be a great year... a year where 2 rounds be good

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
The easy preseason (thus far) for Cranbrook only increases the challenge faced in R1 against Barker @ Barker. The best Brook can hope for is an injury free start to the CAS.

Well done Knox, I say.

Also; View 26 Barker 19, was that the final score?

And Wave's win..., against a few predictions i might add!

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
The Barker Riverview game was frustrating from the Reds perspective. Take nothing away from View they were efficient especially at lineout time, but I am sure better and more consistent teams will be a much sterner test for View.

On the plus side for View was there lineout. It was brilliant all day and their 10, Bowen is a real footballer and given I hear he is in year 10, augers well for View over the next few years. View have a strapping athlete in H Odonnell at 12. My only criticism is he needs to get more involved as he has all the skills.

The negatives for View is their scrum. Barker took 3 tight heads and had them under pressure on a few occasions, which was really surprising given the View forwards have some big boppers in there. S Shmidt was a brick wall in defence, however he should be used more often running one or two off the ruck and use his size and athleticism more. He must weigh in at 110kg but today he was quiet ball in hand.

View were gifted the opening 7 points after a very promising Barker opening stanza gifted the ball to winger Garling who ran 75m to score outwide. Bowen's conversion was a ripper.
Bowen set up Views next try creating an overlap to put G Clark (11) in to make it 12 nil.

Barker responded and were within 5m from the line but stout defence by Tuckfield (2), Schmidt (5) and J Stone (1) held. A simple knock on by Barker released the pressure to enable View to escape. The following accidental Barker offside put View deep into the Reds half and a strong lineout win and rolling mall had O Hannan (3) go over. Bowen converted to make it 19 nil.

When Barker finally started playing error free rugby things started to happen. A great swerving run by Ovendon (10) created space behind the View defensive line and Galloway (11)) crossed for a fine try.

Captain Billy Pollard was instrumental in the next score with a bullocking run to put Ben Graham (14) in. The conversion out wide by Wheels (7) had the Reds back in it trailing View 19/12.

View hit back with Bowen scoring a fine individual try confusing the defence and with the extras extended their lead to 26/12.

Barkers scrum started to dominate and after a couple of tight heads, Ned Slack Smith (8) peeled off the back to score close to the posts. 26/19 to View but Barker was ascending and a draw was now looking like a just result.

A silly penalty by the Reds put View out by 10 with 5min to go. Barker kept looking for the final try but time and execution were against them.

With Adrian Brown (prop) still to return, Barker will have a very competitive scrum and the backs can score points. Ovendon (10) is a class player and his combination with Harrison (9) was pretty slick. Lucas Vaas (15) is maturing as a player and was very solid all day.

For View they need to fix the scrum and then use Odonnel (12)more as he is big and fast and looks like he could score plenty of points.

This game was entertaining but I do not think either side will win their respective competitions unless they improve significantly.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Knox wow! A joeys scalp.

A joeys without Gibbs is not so slick .might be a superficial conclusion

However joeys 2018, showed how preseason losses count for little, in terms of the comp

Waverley I see had a good day . won 1sts. 15-0, despite being without 3 of their best players,2nds, 3rds

And all A teams except 13As.

Wlf, bring on Joeys next weekend

Cranbrook have given themselves a easy pre season, whether it proves the masterstroke . time will tell.

However seems like CAS going to be a great year. a year where 2 rounds be good

SDW,

I believe you were at Scots today! I was at Manly Oval re Auggies.
Here is my take out on the day and games.

16as were horrible, lazy, need to improve significantly next week or Joeys will win easily.
Mind you a common theme throughout every day was the pea being blown out of the whistle so games never got going.
3rds and 2nds won ok but not as good as they can play.

The 1sts defence was tremendous, we had a few out but the Auggies team was not the same as 2018, but they never gave up. Waves bombed many tries! However a great effort after a solid Japan tournament.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
wlf, I think Waverley rugby is on a high

And playing entertaining Randwick style of rugby too

Altgh I know next week will be a reality check

barker’s scrum unsurprisingly is going to be a key strength in 2019 ... with pollard and Wilson shoe ins for higher honours

So beating Barker is going to require minimising scrums

As views scrum in my view dominated Waverleys in the recent game

So if barker dominated view and view dominated waves

You get the point

So short of some intensive scrum schooling at QP

Or if a certain prop can’t get his knee right, I think 2019 is wide open

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
The Barker Riverview game was frustrating from the Reds perspective. Take nothing away from View they were efficient especially at lineout time, but I am sure better and more consistent teams will be a much sterner test for View.

On the plus side for View was there lineout. It was brilliant all day and their 10, Bowen is a real footballer and given I hear he is in year 10, augers well for View over the next few years. View have a strapping athlete in H Odonnell at 12. My only criticism is he needs to get more involved as he has all the skills.

The negatives for View is their scrum. Barker took 3 tight heads and had them under pressure on a few occasions, which was really surprising given the View forwards have some big boppers in there. S Shmidt was a brick wall in defence, however he should be used more often running one or two off the ruck and use his size and athleticism more. He must weigh in at 110kg but today he was quiet ball in hand.

View were gifted the opening 7 points after a very promising Barker opening stanza gifted the ball to winger Garling who ran 75m to score outwide. Bowen's conversion was a ripper.
Bowen set up Views next try creating an overlap to put G Clark (11) in to make it 12 nil.

Barker responded and were within 5m from the line but stout defence by Tuckfield (2), Schmidt (5) and J Stone (1) held. A simple knock on by Barker released the pressure to enable View to escape. The following accidental Barker offside put View deep into the Reds half and a strong lineout win and rolling mall had O Hannan (3) go over. Bowen converted to make it 19 nil.

When Barker finally started playing error free rugby things started to happen. A great swerving run by Ovendon (10) created space behind the View defensive line and Galloway (11)) crossed for a fine try.

Captain Billy Pollard was instrumental in the next score with a bullocking run to put Ben Graham (14) in. The conversion out wide by Wheels (7) had the Reds back in it trailing View 19/12.

View hit back with Bowen scoring a fine individual try confusing the defence and with the extras extended their lead to 26/12.

Barkers scrum started to dominate and after a couple of tight heads, Ned Slack Smith (8) peeled off the back to score close to the posts. 26/19 to View but Barker was ascending and a draw was now looking like a just result.

A silly penalty by the Reds put View out by 10 with 5min to go. Barker kept looking for the final try but time and execution were against them.

With Adrian Brown (prop) still to return, Barker will have a very competitive scrum and the backs can score points. Ovendon (10) is a class player and his combination with Harrison (9) was pretty slick. Lucas Vaas (15) is maturing as a player and was very solid all day.

For View they need to fix the scrum and then use Odonnel (12)more as he is big and fast and looks like he could score plenty of points.

This game was entertaining but I do not think either side will win their respective competitions unless they improve significantly.
I think you will find Henry O’Donnel was out injured today.

WhatsNext

Frank Row (1)
Cranbrook roll over Grammar 69-0 with a 25 minute second half on request...
As has been mentioned a very easy preseason lined up. From all reports the boys aren't too happy with it. A tougher preseason may have given Cranny a better shot however dependant on injuries could work in their favour.

Good win for Knox- are we to see another CAS win over GPS in the 1s this year? Yes Gibbs wasn't available but with strong teams being produced by all CAS bar Aloys a very strong competition this year indeed! Interested to see how this one plays out.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
RESULTS | Schoolboys
St Stanislaus 0 v 70 Kings
Shore 24 v 24 Trinity
Scots 41 v 5 Newington
Knox 34 v 26 St Joseph’s
St Ignatius 29 v 19 Barker
St Joseph’s 3rds 15 v 52 St Aloysius
Waverley 15 v 0 Augustine’s
Cranbrook 60 v 0 Grammar
Oakhill 0 v 14 St Ignatius 2nds
The Ardmidale School 17 v 59 St Greg’s
St Pius X 55 v 24 Sydney High

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looking forward to next Saturday ... Joeys versus Waverley at Death Valley

Death Valley this early in the winter isn't so scary... and the weather is set to be sunny and a balmy 22
....conducive to running rugby

key match ups [Joeys v Double v]
Fly halves
Jude Gibbs (a rare Cranbrook import with silky hands & feets) versus nuggety Ron Volkman

Big Outside Centres
Dan O'Brien (in his 3rd year) versus Levi Milford (of Samoan extraction?)

Tall Timber
Alex Rice (ex Scots) & Miles Amatosero (5) versus Hugh Bokenham (8) & Lachlan Saar (5)

Random Leaguies
Samuel Kaanan (11) (Tigers contracted speedster) versus Lathan Hutchinson-Walters (12), a Rooster, and yes, he's the one with the tattoos, and what he lacks in pace, he makes up in brute strength

Props
Angus Websdale (NSW under 16s prop) versus Aisea Aholelei (hopefully)

Others of note - opensiders
Rogan Hickey (again a hopefully) versus Marco Moretti (younger brother of last years dual international), who is never dull to watch

My tip
Waverley this year, have great depth, right down to the 3rds.... who nearly beat St Gregs 1sts. Joeys on the other hand have players in the 2nds that would be shoe-ins in most school 1st XV ... and depth?... OK lets just say when you have a 12ths, there is no shortage of personnel at HH.

Joeys would be smarting at their weekend loss to Knox, and the coaches would be looking to avenge the 2017 loss to Ben Donaldson's Waverley at HH ... so if I had to put my house on it, I'd tip Joeys.... however I know Waverley will smell blood in the water, with Hickey maybe missing, and Gibbs with a big Cranbrook target on his diminutive frame, I think this could be a battle royale if Joeys don't bring their A game.

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looking forward to next Saturday . Joeys versus Waverley at Death Valley

My tip
Waverley this year, have great depth, right down to the 3rds.. who nearly beat St Gregs 1sts. Joeys on the other hand have players in the 2nds that would be shoe-ins in most school 1st XV . and depth?. OK lets just say when you have a 12ths, there is no shortage of personnel at HH.

Joeys would be smarting at their weekend loss to Knox, and the coaches would be looking to avenge the 2017 loss to Ben Donaldson's Waverley at HH . so if I had to put my house on it, I'd tip Joeys.. however I know Waverley will smell blood in the water, with Hickey maybe missing, and Gibbs with a big Cranbrook target on his diminutive frame, I think this could be a battle royale if Joeys don't bring their A game.

Should be a cracker - Joeys by 30.

SKL-egend

Frank Row (1)
Aloys convincingly beat Joeys 3rds with ease 52-15, it looked like they finished with most of their 2s side on the field for the last 20 minutes? Looked as if they should have played a higher Joeys grade.
Joeys forwards didn't really know what hit them as they matched up against a bigger and stronger pack such as partington (5) and Allen (4) who set a good platform for the Aloys backline. In the back, Weber (15) looked very promising scoring two tries, linking very well with Spalding (12) who gave Aloys great attacking opportunities with his kicking game. These two have a very good combination which will be very threatening this season

Aloys haven't faced an opponent really challenging so far, will be interesting to see how they play leading into the inaugural CAS competition, surely a wildcard this year.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I saw the Barker/View match on Saturday and agree with Rod's comments. The ball handling errors were hard to watch and View took advantage of every mistake. I thought Schmidt for View looked as if he was struggling with his conditioning after the first twenty minutes which may explain why he was limited with ball in hand. View deserved the win. Barker is a team which is well conditioned and hopefully over the next few weeks will continue to build on its strengths and minimise its errors. Still after the Knox win this season could be any teams really