• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Errors and game strategy is killing Barker.. they are kicking the ball ti the most dangerous runner in schoolboy rugby and they are paying the price

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
FT kings deserved winners 31/19. Barker shifters Pollard to inside centre to take on Sualli and it worked. Barker won 2nd half 7 nil

Steve Jane23

Stan Wickham (3)
Cranbrook beat the Armidale school 60+ — 0. The game was played in 25 minute halves and Cranbrook finished with 14 players on the field. A good game from cranners but will need to improve in order to tussle with the big boys. Jake Taylor was a stand out in today’s game at 13 and the Cranbrook 15 also had a solid game.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Cross post from the the GPS forum. I note that my interpretation differs from Steve James. I did write the scores down and also the times of the score. I was surprised that they were 25 mins halves, I thought 30. Maybe i got my times wrong. The first Cranbrook try was about 1.08, that was a few minutes in. The last Cranbrook try was around 1.29 and then there was a period from then to the end of the half when TAS was attacking. Mind you, I may be wrong. But I am leaving the following report stand because I think that its right in principle if not detail.
Update. 25 mins may be right. The Firsts started playing about 1.05 and finished sometime after 2. The last Cranbrook try I have was scored a bit after 2 and the game continued for a little after that. W will get the firsts score on AAGPS tomorrow.​
Tough day in many ways for TAS against Cranbrook. I arrived late and missed the early matches so started with 16Av16A. Cranbrook won something like 60-0. They were bigger, faster and more skilled, although TAS maintained the intensity of its tackling for much of the game. Listening to some of the junior boys coming up to watch the 16As I had the feeling, I may be incorrect, that there were high scores in some of the earlier games. Don't know however.
The match between TAs 2nds and Cranbrook thirds was good evenly matched football. Cranbrook scored very early, 7-0. It then took TAS 15 minutes to score and convert. HT score 7-7. Cranbrook scored early in the second half but then TAS started to run away with the game. Final score TAS 28 - Cranbrook 14. The last time I played on the Horden Oval for TAS seconds, this time against Crabrook seconds, we won too!
My heart sank as the Cranbrook Firsts ran onto the field. I had a lot about the team on the forums. They are big and also very fast. Cranbrook scored and converted at the third minute. Twenty minutes later, the score was 33-0. Cranbrook were winning TAS line-outs, won several scrums against the feed and were pinching TAS ball in the rucks. TAS then steadied and were attacking at half time. HT score 33-0. Cranbrook scored soon after the break and then twice more, but it was a little more even. Final score 52-0.
Two things stopped the game being a total rout. The first was the number of penalties Cranbrook attracted. This was a feature of all three matches i saw, but especially the Firsts. I could wish that TAS did more goal kicking rather than relying on pick and drive. The second was the TAS tackling. With big fast backs playing against smaller boys, you often only have one chance to stop the movement. TAS tackled its heart out, time and again stopping movements, sometimes just before the line. The second half score of Cranbrook 19-TAS 0 would have been a cricket score without that.
The lessons? Chatting around the ground, Cranbrook feels that they can win the CAS. I think that's right so long as they can get the penalty count down. For TAS's part, it's a young team, all the top TAS teams seem young, reduced by injury. on the long bus trip home tonight the boys will be a bit sore and sorry. I don't think that they should be depressed. There are things that need to be fixed, but for the firsts in particular who maintained their intensity in the face of what may be CAS's first grade team, that spirit gives them, I think, a solid base for coming games.

J Dog Fenton

Peter Burge (5)
50-29 at north bridge. Coming off a win @ HH last week , the boys from Wahroonga turned up. Once again , Knox putting on a class act for spectators but were a little slow to get started. Shore came out of the blocks hungry and ready with the booming shore crowd behind them. Once Knox found their feet, the Sammut [9]/Fitzgerald [10] combo directing play really was spectacular, with Fitzgerald kicking 6/7 (1/1 penalty kicks) and his kicks for touch were a level above, marching shore down the field and building pressure for the forwards to capitalise. The whole forward pack really gel’d and I really hope to see them keep the same pack because it worked like clockwork. There weren’t any better on the park at the breakdown than Breden [7] and Cheal [6], who kept shore constantly on their toes with no ball truely secure. With Knox bringing on 2nds players in the last 10 meant shore got a break. Shore didn’t give up and it’s a real credit to them. It was looking like a cricket score at half time but shore held on until the end and kept putting points on. Best on the paddock, Fitzgerald [10] and Breden [7].

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Joeys rugby Twitter saying 16As .7-21. Waverley presumably victors 3 tries to 1

Yes very true, our boys were extremely powerful today against the GPS 16a front runners, and this Joeys side is the real deal.
Our boys are clearly also, and like the fantastic Waves 2017 side this side all play together at Randwick, and will probably win the Club A comp. So this Waves team is the real deal. Point to note that so is the View side, Kings, side and Joeys side it s a very gifted age group.

When year 12 hits for these boys, they will also have the back up of our 15a side which also has a number of great players. They also beat a good Joeys side today at Joeys on no.1,despite a penalty count to Joeys of 30-2.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
50-29 at north bridge. Coming off a win @ HH last week , the boys from Wahroonga turned up. Once again , Knox putting on a class act for spectators but were a little slow to get started. Shore came out of the blocks hungry and ready with the booming shore crowd behind them. Once Knox found their feet, the Sammut [9]/Fitzgerald [10] combo directing play really was spectacular, with Fitzgerald kicking 6/7 (1/1 penalty kicks) and his kicks for touch were a level above, marching shore down the field and building pressure for the forwards to capitalise. The whole forward pack really gel’d and I really hope to see them keep the same pack because it worked like clockwork. There weren’t any better on the park at the breakdown than Breden [7] and Cheal [6], who kept shore constantly on their toes with no ball truely secure. With Knox bringing on 2nds players in the last 10 meant shore got a break. Shore didn’t give up and it’s a real credit to them. It was looking like a cricket score at half time but shore held on until the end and kept putting points on. Best on the paddock, Fitzgerald [10] and Breden [7].

Good analysis. I think your 6 should get a mention in dispatches in the best on field stakes, for accurate breakdown work and strong ball running.

scotsman18

Herbert Moran (7)
Got out to my first Aloys 1s game of the season against Pats yesterday. Fair to say the standard of play left a lot to be desired. Spalding (12) is the only remaining player in the backs from last year and unfortunately it looks like the entire team is relying on him for a spark on attack. Weber (15) is rapid and provided 1 or 2 line breaks on kick returns but these were outweighed by poor positional play letting the ball bounce 2 or 3 times or go out after the same amount of bounces, I think his pace and defence would be much better suited at 13 where he played in the 2nd xv last year. The forward pack was smaller then last year but not as small as I was led to believe, returning locks Allen and Partington provided excellent grunt while hooker Wells was very impressive, solid at set piece and a dynamic, agile ball carrier.

I think Aloys players definitely can't be faulted for their heart but their skills just aren't up to tune to be a real threat to the other CAS sides, In my opinion their biggest problem is their coaching. The game plan is all over the place. While it worked for last years team the game plan does not work to the teams strengths this year, as a smaller agile side it would make more sense to outwork the other team with pace and width rather than running smaller bodies at larger defenders then panicking and dropping the ball or putting in a needless kick.

Also the exits from their 22 of set piece is a mess. no Box kicks and using Spalding (12) to both be a crash ball and the exit kicker rather than using the humungous outside centre (Loughnan) as a crash ball and then using Spaldings enormous boot to clear it.

Unfortunately I think the CAS season will be a Long one much like the 2016 season for Aloys with any scalps requiring some real grit and grind to get a win but with some change to their playing style I think they will be much more competitive at least. All in all I hope the Boys finish every game proud of their performance and hopefully their hard work pays off and the year 12 boys can get a win in the Gold jersey come CAS

R

RuggerFan1

Trinity 2s had to go uncontested scrums against Scots 3s, pretty embarrassing.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Great game down @ QP, both deserved to win, Waverley really let themselves down with quite a few errors, but showed a lot of guts coming back from behind.

Both teams played with great spirit, thoroughly enjoyable and a credit to both schools and to rugby.

Nice chanting from Joeys boys, great atmosphere.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Where was Levi Milford... the big Samoan 13 for Waverley ?

Ps cranbrook seem very confident of their chances in 2019...so I hope they get a referee of the same callibre as Andrew Coorey for the Waverley v cranners game ... as cranbrook are the worlds worst whiners when they are robbed by the referee

Cranbrook seem to love tas smith (9)saying he is 85 kgs, best player etc

I thought he was very small ... although that is probably because this is his 3rd year? Is he the fav for cas honours?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
WLF, what is prognosis on the big 5 (Clem Halaholo) 's elbow? I gather he was injured about 5 minutes after the 16As game should of finished.

I heard he was incredible in the win over Joeys ... a mate told me it was comical how strong he was ... holding up players and securing possession , by preventing the player going to ground.

He apparently has all the skills, running, passing, turning over ball ... and Tongan (herculean) strength

my mate reckons he would not be out of place in the 1sts or 2nds ... not sure if he trialled, went to Japan ?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF, what is prognosis on the big 5 (Clem Halaholo) 's elbow? I gather he was injured about 5 minutes after the 16As game should of finished.

I heard he was incredible in the win over Joeys . a mate told me it was comical how strong he was . holding up players and securing possession , by preventing the player going to ground.

He apparently has all the skills, running, passing, turning over ball . and Tongan (herculean) strength

my mate reckons he would not be out of place in the 1sts or 2nds . not sure if he trialled, went to Japan ?

SDW,

Clem's injury isn't as bad as it looks, a bruised/extended elbow, not broken, out for about 2 weeks. Great news.
Didn't go to Japan as he is in year 10 and there are already a number of older boys in the Opens.
His time will come, as will most of the 16 and 15as, both won on the weekend against very good Joeys teams, and the 13as lost 12-10 not many schools perform this well v Joeys.