• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

Michael_Pooper

Stan Wickham (3)
Aloys_win, you should never kick someone when they are down. Aloys' showing against Waverley was commendable and I was rooting for them sideline at Queens Park, but Waverley will bounce back. They always do.

Agreed RL, with a name like aloys_win and the simple opinions presented, can't help thinking there's another school boy among the ranks. It's a shame they are only on here to spread false opinion about their schools. Would love to have an intelligent discussion about the comp with them.

FoleyBealeFolau

Ward Prentice (10)
Agreed RL, with a name like aloys_win and the simple opinions presented, can't help thinking there's another school boy among the ranks. It's a shame they are only on here to spread false opinion about their schools. Would love to have an intelligent discussion about the comp with them.

Yes. I don't think that they realise that their insight is invaluable. They know the in's and out's of their school's rugby program, but instead they come onto the forum and mock us

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Where's the humility in your representation of Aloys? Yes Aloysius showed up as the better side on the day and beat Waverley, but to create a page today and then throw around how easy it was to beat Waverley etc is silly, maybe back it up a bit and throw your support at Aloys by saying "this sets them up for a great few games next term, still a potential premiership contender." This way you can be an Aloysius supporter, and not piss everyone on this forum off. The reality is Aloys have won ONE respectable game.

Waverley are clearly a very strong side considering their preseason, I'm inclined to say that they'd probably beat Aloys 9 times out of 10 if given another chance, but that's how footy works. Credit to Aloys on giving them a big check in, but maybe Aloys_win needs a check in with reality too.

anotherfatprop

Bob McCowan (2)
Where's the humility in your representation of Aloys? Yes Aloysius showed up as the better side on the day and beat Waverley, but to create a page today and then throw around how easy it was to beat Waverley etc is silly, maybe back it up a bit and throw your support at Aloys by saying "this sets them up for a great few games next term, still a potential premiership contender." This way you can be an Aloysius supporter, and not piss everyone on this forum off. The reality is Aloys have won ONE respectable game.

Waverley are clearly a very strong side considering their preseason, I'm inclined to say that they'd probably beat Aloys 9 times out of 10 if given another chance, but that's how footy works. Credit to Aloys on giving them a big check in, but maybe Aloys_win needs a check in with reality too.
I believe it is fair to say that these Aloys accounts don't align with the beliefs within the four walls at the school. Plenty of hard work to be done, but what a win on Saturday. Hopefully, this team can go one further than the 2015 Aloysius 1st XV.

wallabyinwaiting

Bob McCowan (2)

totally agree Running.
it seems that when cranbrook and aloys win games that their supporters seem to get a bit excited on the forums.
aloys played a blinder against waves, but honestly, not sure about long term prospects. they capitalised on some poor discipline and poor ruck work, but i can't be sure if it was one of those "everything goes right" games, or signs of burgeoning power in CAS.
either way, love the enthusiasm from the boys, but please remember to have some humility in victory!!!

Corn

Bob McCowan (2)
Certainly as an Old Boy of Aloys and a father of a boy in the 14A’s, I believe the views of the Aloys_win do not reflect the ideas of the school or its core values. CAS is wide open, perhaps someone could perform mid-season reviews of each side?

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
I would just like to say that as an old Aloys player myself I wouldn’t be sprouting too much. As A few of the Waverley posters found out It can come back to bite you. Not sure what the school rugby program is like now, however, I feel if Aloys wanted to remain competitive in rugby they should of never introduced AFL as a winter sport. I think it would be a tragedy if due to lack of numbers they are no longer at the very least competitive given they have been a part of CAS for so long. I think most here would like to see both Aloys and Cranbrook do well and I am glad both sides won over the weekend. I watched the Cranbrook/Knox highlights on YouTube and I thought Cranbrook played very well. We should be all getting behind all schools in an attempt to make CAS as strong as possible.

wallabyinwaiting

Bob McCowan (2)
CAS is wide open, perhaps someone could perform mid-season reviews of each side?

i'll give it a go.

Barker

Boy does this side have some great individuals (Pollard, Galloway). They definitely have the potential to do some damage through their forward pack, and stretch them out wide as well - but their big tests are yet to come. Cranbrook in r1 were off their game from all reports, but they had a solid win against Trinity. not sure how much i believe the rumours of cheating - but could have an impact if true. either way, looking very strong.

Knox

headscratcher. a week ago my firm favourites, but losing to Cranbrook on friday must have sent them into a headspin. Rechner is strong, and Evans has some great toe, as well as having one of the best breakdown players in Breden. beating waverley at queen's park doesnt sound as good this week as it did last. i think they'll come off firing after the break - hopefully we see that Knox hunger.

Cranbrook

probably the hardest one. didn't rate them too highly leading into CAS, and i thought my suspicions were confirmed after r1. tough as this is for me to admit - i was wrong. God they played some good footy on friday. set piece is starting to come together nicely, and they look very good in the breakdown. they won't have the friday night advantage in every game, but if they can bring it vs waves - its game on for the top spot.

Aloys

the team everyone consigned to last at the seasons beginning. what a show they put on at DV. as I said earlier i'm not sure whether its a one off, or signs of greatness. hopefully for the comp, its the latter. their centres were immense on the weekend, and if they want to continue - their going to need to run the show. looking forward to Cranbrook v Aloys (ha, sounds strange writing that).

Trinity

the quiet ones. not much has been said about this team on the forums, but i don't think for one minute that they are easy beats. Vuki to be the key if they want to prevail. big tail end for them - K, C, W i believe. do not discount.

Waves

who would have guessed??? love the work from both aloys and knox to take them down at death valley. i'm not sure whats going on - on paper they look fantastic, with heaps of CAS reps and some good league talent. Rice is a giant, and Lathan can run a ball - but something is not right in camp. hopefully they use these defeats as fuel for a huge clash with Cranbrook in R3.

hard to write a team off. this really could be one of the best seasons we've had in a long time. looking forward to every minute of it.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
The game outcomes this season are not making much logical sense given the pre season matches. It is doing an old bloke's head in a bit as I try to rationalise it until you realise this comp this year is not capable of being rationalised. It is the most intriguing season I have seen for many years now. It can only do well for the comp generally. Better to have 3-4 teams each with the potential to take honours rather than one or two. I dont mind Alos gloating a bit. The team was copping it a bit on this thread. It adds to the banter. But I have no confidence in making any predictions. Who knows.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Have to disagree. More aloys boys deserve to be there every year. We are always overlooked.

I wonder if WLF still feels sorry for Aloys after their dominant display on the weekend? He has been very quiet! But was scared of how we would exist in the long term for CAS? Maybe it’s waverley we should be worried about eh WLF? Despite the “new boys” that arrive, Waverley still couldn’t win.

Well done to our coaches for out coaching the Waverley ‘coaches’ as well. Well deserved for their hard work in the off season. Probably comes when they don’t try bring players in but develop what they have that makes Aloys a better place. I believe it was fairly easy to spot weaknesses in the Waverley team and manipulate those weaknesses as well.

Wait about! I applauded Aloys for their win, it was very well deserved, and my point ONCE AGAIN was not about the Aloys 1sts it was about the lack of depth in all the younger age groups. If you think that won't have any effect in future years, then I disagree, AND I would much prefer Aloys to have more teams for all of us.

I also agree with you other comments but need to be careful in this area, and I am not alone.

So stop bending it to make yourself feel better, I am actually hoping for longevity in all our schools.

Aloys_win

Stan Wickham (3)
And can someone please explain how Waverley have more players in the CAS firsts than St Aloysius?

With such a dominant display from Alos, I think this really is a bit unfair!

Even in the 16’s why do Waverley have so many players? There are some great St Aloysius players in the Aloysius team this year that should be there!

Confused about Marco "broadley" Morretti and the Paddy "Senior Kitey lad" Kite not show up in the CAS 2's starting lineup. seriously disappointing to see the broadz and kitey empty handed hopefully they can prove the selectors wrong throughout the rest of the season and do some damage at the valley.

Aloys_win

Stan Wickham (3)
It’s likely that the younger Moretti will be out for the rest of the season after his red card on the weekend! That’s probably why he didn’t make CAS!

I don’t know Kite, but the Waverley backs in general are not as good as all the hype lead us to believe!

Bernard Toomua

Frank Row (1)
Those 'coaches' from Waverley that you mention them to be hired by the school as simply a coach is a bit unfair, especially considering their internal roles with the school... last time I checked both were teachers 1st and coaches 2nd...
Have to disagree. More aloys boys deserve to be there every year. We are always overlooked.

I wonder if WLF still feels sorry for Aloys after their dominant display on the weekend? He has been very quiet! But was scared of how we would exist in the long term for CAS? Maybe it’s waverley we should be worried about eh WLF? Despite the “new boys” that arrive, Waverley still couldn’t win.

Well done to our coaches for out coaching the Waverley ‘coaches’ as well. Well deserved for their hard work in the off season. Probably comes when they don’t try bring players in but develop what they have that makes Aloys a better place. I believe it was fairly easy to spot weaknesses in the Waverley team and manipulate those weaknesses as well.

Big_Senditure

Stan Wickham (3)
Any predictions regarding the ladder come the end of the season?

1. Knox (W vs Waverly, L vs Cranbrook, W vs Trinity, W vs Aloys, W vs Barker)
2. Barker (W vs Cranbrook, W vs Trinity, W vs Aloys, L vs Waverly, L vs Knox)
3. Waverly (L vs Knox, L vs Aloys, W vs Cranbrook, W vs Barker, W vs Trinity)
4. Cranbrook (L vs Barker, W vs Knox, L vs Waverly, W vs Trinity, L vs Aloys)
5. Aloys (L vs Trinity, W vs Waverly, L vs Barker, L vs Knox, W vs Cranbrook)
6. Trinity (W vs Aloys, L vs Barker, L vs Knox, L vs Cranbrook, L vs Waverly)

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
To ease the complaints regarding Aloys having no one in CAS 1's, Miles Amatesaro has been injured and replaced by Angus Partington of Aloys for the fixture this afternoon. Disappointing for Amatesaro, but he is in year 11 and will be a destroyer next year. Congrats to Partington on earning the call up.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)

I find a few things here strange, Simply following logic, what makes you say Aloys will beat Cranbrook, after they've already lost to them AND Cranbrook beat Knox? Continuing this, what makes you say Barker will lose to Knox when they beat Cranbrook convincingly?

I know the table is hard to pick, and rugby doesn't work on logic but I believe Waverley could definitely lose to Cranbrook, probably will lose to Barker and Trinity could cause a surprise to anyone. Wouldn't even discount Trinity against Knox at SH next term.

Barker vs Knox could decide the season I think - a joint premiership with 1 loss each or an undefeated premiership to Barker. Is this at Knox or Barker??

bigbadbrook

Frank Row (1)

Have to disagree here mate, don't think that anyones going to take the overall win outright, but lets just say the next week of the competition will be telling.