• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Hi all.

I will try and write a brief summary of the 1sts game to give those not in attendance a feel of the game. GPS won 26/7 and deserved the win. That said on another day this game would have been desperately close. CAS were their own worst enemy, dropping balls especially in the lineouts. I counted 8 lineouts where the CAS lost their own throw, and it was not as if Pollard was missing his mark. He was nailing the throws, just the recipient dropped it. I really would have had Cameron playing 4 or 5 as he and Pollard have been superb this year for Barker but he was at the back and on a wet day going long is tough. The other problem was 5 of these lineouts were 5m out from the GPS line so the scoring opportunity went begging to many times.

To GPS credit when they had the ball, and they had a lot of it, they looked great. The Joeys 10,12,13 worked a treat all night and the opportunity they gave Mossman and the go to man Koula kept GPS on the front foot all night.

Connolly was safe and reliable at full back. In the forwards it was a very even night. The CAS front row probably had the upper hand especially late in the game when they dismantled the GPS scrum twice in space of 5 minutes. Botha for GPS was very visible around the park and while Ratcliff and Bokenham did there bit at lineout time and at the breakdown. Tom Gratwick from CAS was equally good at 8.

If I were to choose a combined side it would look like this.

1 Brown CAS
2 Pollard CAS
3 Botha GPS
4 Houston GPS
5 Cameron CAS
6 Gratwick CAS
7 Ratcliff GPS
8 Bokenham GPS
9 Albert GPS
10 Gibbs GPS
11 Koula GPS
12 Chan GPS
13 Obrien GPS
14 Mossman GPS
15 Connolly GPS

The 2nds game was very even with GPS getting up 19/14. Once again losing lineouts close out really affected the CAS guys and they could have pulled off a deserved win.

I think some of the CAS 2nds may challenge for spots in the CAS1sts especially in the backs while I do not expect that from the GPS seconds

Wilson 3, Buchanan 4 Fitzgerald 10 North 11, Vass 14 all had really good games for CAS 2nds and made a impact when they came on for CAS in the dying moments in the firsts. Fitzgerald 10 especially had a really good game and really directed the backs well while North scored 2 great tries. I think Vass could go into 15 and North11, for Fridays games.

Anyway congrats to the GPS lads. Deserved winners of both games.

Corn

Bob McCowan (2)
Hi all.

I will try and write a brief summary of the 1sts game to give those not in attendance a feel of the game. GPS won 26/7 and deserved the win. That said on another day this game would have been desperately close. CAS were their own worst enemy, dropping balls especially in the lineouts. I counted 8 lineouts where the CAS lost their own throw, and it was not as if Pollard was missing his mark. He was nailing the throws, just the recipient dropped it. I really would have had Cameron playing 4 or 5 as he and Pollard have been superb this year for Barker but he was at the back and on a wet day going long is tough. The other problem was 5 of these lineouts were 5m out from the GPS line so the scoring opportunity went begging to many times.

To GPS credit when they had the ball, and they had a lot of it, they looked great. The Joeys 10,12,13 worked a treat all night and the opportunity they gave Mossman and the go to man Koula kept GPS on the front foot all night.

Connolly was safe and reliable at full back. In the forwards it was a very even night. The CAS front row probably had the upper hand especially late in the game when they dismantled the GPS scrum twice in space of 5 minutes. Botha for GPS was very visible around the park and while Ratcliff and Bokenham did there bit at lineout time and at the breakdown. Tom Gratwick from CAS was equally good at 8.

1 Brown CAS
2 Pollard CAS
3 Botha GPS
4 Houston GPS
5 Cameron CAS
6 Gratwick CAS
7 Ratcliff GPS
8 Bokenham GPS
9 Albert GPS
10 Gibbs GPS
11 Koula GPS
12 Chan GPS
13 Obrien GPS
14 Mossman GPS
15 Connolly GPS

The 2nds game was very even with GPS getting up 19/14. Once again losing lineouts close out really affected the CAS guys and they could have pulled off a deserved win.

I think some of the CAS 2nds may challenge for spots in the CAS1sts especially in the backs while I do not expect that from the GPS seconds

Wilson 3, Buchanan 4 Fitzgerald 10 North 11, Vass 14 all had really good games for CAS 2nds and made a impact when they came on for CAS in the dying moments in the firsts. Fitzgerald 10 especially had a really good game and really directed the backs well while North scored 2 great tries. I think Vass could go into 15 and North11, for Fridays games.

Hi Rod,
I don’t mean to throw accusations as some of your claims were extremely astute but it seems like you certainly viewed both games through red-tinted glasses. Out of the four CAS players you chose in the combined XV, three were Barker Players. They certainly played well and Pollard was immense in a losing effort but Hamish Moore (2) (S) was extraordinary and I certainly think he had a stronger game. As for Vass, he had a strong game but Griffiths also played very well so it seems tough to give him the sack after a solid performance. Great analysis in terms of the game but your Barker allegiance may have gotten the best of you at some stages. Happy for discussion about this.

Corn.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Look I call it as I see it despite me bleeding red. Happy to read any other comments. Just because I did not highlight every player does not mean they had a bad game. The dropped ball by CAS killed them in both games. And choosing those 3 Barker lads is something I will stand by especially in the forwards.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
That’s how I saw it Rod.

I thought Gratwicke was immense in contact for CAS.... The lineout just did not function at all and CAS 9/10/12 had an unhappy night ... It felt as though CAS let at least 3 tries go begging through the forwards inches from the line and Pollard was extremely unlucky to get held up over the line late in the game

For GPS every time Toula Koula touched the ball he was electric, significantly faster than anyone else on the field. Joeys combo in the 10/12/13 was the difference particularly in the weather (although Knox 1 held up well) they were able to unlock both wingers and bring them into the game much more than CAS could. Their passing was more sympathetic to the conditions with CAS throwing some absolute bullets that ended up being coughed up by the recipients

An extremely physical match with genuinely bone crunching hits in and around the breakdown from both sides.

Good game of rugby

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree Rod - the lineout losses killed CAS chances.

GPS didn’t contest CAS throws in their 22 in the first half. Their coaches obviously saw something, because they contested (and won) most CAS throws in the second half.

There were a few reasons:

1. CAS didn’t go to the front despite the conditions, so GPS put up a jumper at the front and the middle/back
2. The GPS jumper was off the ground before the CAS jumper on CAS throws (what did they see to enable them to do that?)
3. Even when they didn’t get to the ball first, they got a hand on the CAS jumpers arm, and subtly pulled it - enough to dislodge he ball in these conditions but not enough to get noticed by the ref

So, smart work by GPS.

Also noteworthy was how little ball both Galloway and Evans received on the wing for CAS. It would have been good to see more of them, but the ball had trouble getting past centre-field.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree Rod - the lineout losses killed CAS chances.

GPS didn’t contest CAS throws in their 22 in the first half. Their coaches obviously saw something, because they contested (and won) most CAS throws in the second half.

There were a few reasons:

1. CAS didn’t go to the front despite the conditions, so GPS put up a jumper at the front and the middle/back
2. The GPS jumper was off the ground before the CAS jumper on CAS throws (what did they see to enable them to do that?)
3. Even when they didn’t get to the ball first, they got a hand on the CAS jumpers arm, and subtly pulled it - enough to dislodge he ball in these conditions but not enough to get noticed by the ref

So, smart work by GPS.

Also noteworthy was how little ball both Galloway and Evans received on the wing for CAS. It would have been good to see more of them, but the ball had trouble getting past centre-field.

Agreed. CAS wingers in 1sts did not see any ball

Aloys_win

Stan Wickham (3)
Hi all.

1 Brown CAS
2 Pollard CAS
3 Botha GPS
4 Houston GPS
5 Cameron CAS
6 Gratwick CAS
7 Ratcliff GPS
8 Bokenham GPS
9 Albert GPS
10 Gibbs GPS
11 Koula GPS
12 Chan GPS
13 Obrien GPS
14 Mossman GPS
15 Connolly GPS

You are as bad as WLF. The most biased info I have seen.

Pollard couldn’t throw the ball in the lineout for the second half? He missed three of his throws.

The Knox hooker should be in the firsts. He outplayed Billy this evening.

Also how Spalding doesn’t get a run in the firsts is beyond, he was one of the strongest players in the seconds. Take the 5/8 out of the firsts, place Waverley kid at 10 and Spalding at 12!

I also think James Loughnan from Aloys would have been a better choice 13 for either firsts or seconds. He is a big kid and big ball runner. Charlie Weber would also be best suited to fullback instead of the Waverley 15? Hopefully they can update the team!

I also think there should be proper coaches appointed. The Waverley style of coaching is not suitable for this level. Should have Aloys or some other coaches in those positions. The Waverley ‘coaches’ were out of their depth.

Beauden Barret

Frank Row (1)
Hi all.

1 Brown CAS
2 Pollard CAS
3 Botha GPS
4 Houston GPS
5 Cameron CAS
6 Gratwick CAS
7 Ratcliff GPS
8 Bokenham GPS
9 Albert GPS
10 Gibbs GPS
11 Koula GPS
12 Chan GPS
13 Obrien GPS
14 Mossman GPS
15 Connolly GPS

Agreed, that Dan Botha he looks very strong, very visible around the park. Got in stuck into everything last night. Shame we didn't see Galloway let go for one of his Rieko Ioane like runs. He's an absolute talent. Can Round 3 hurry up please. BB

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
James Loughnan is an AFL player with a bit of size. Doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as Rechner. He barely even played rugby throughout high school.

Everyone seems to just love saying that basically their whole 15 at their school should be in the sides, and a lot of the time you haven't looked at other teams and players, only your own. The selectors have done a good job, obviously there are going to be one or two we don't disagree with, but that's subjective sports for you.

I believe we should perhaps let other people notice your players, and then support them. If you're the only one advocating for someone, then clearly they aren't that good as they don't stand out to anyone else?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Very uneducated comment there.
1) The Waverley coaches are exceptional and have gotten the job done for 2 out of their 3 seasons at the helm.
2) While Loughnan can carry, he is a defensive liability, often being caught flat footed. Rechner was amazing defensively tonight and more than deserved his position in the team.
3) Dagostino was one of CAS’ best players taking numerous tough catches at the back.
4) Spaulding was good but not great in the 2’s, certainly not enough to create questions over a possible callup.

Again, I am an Aloys fan but jeez, you’re commentary paints us in a bad light.

Thanks Corn, agree with everything you, Rod, Running R and BB have said.
Ignore Aloys to win, he should stick to the game he played, soccer, no idea about Rugby.
You are not painted in a bad light!

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Agree, I saw the game identically to Rod and I'm not from Barker.... everyone has a certain tint to their glasses, that's only natural. Whilst Grobler is an exceptional rugby player, Pollard is an outstanding hooker and his physique will see him be a long term rep hooker post school if he chooses. I thought he led the aggression in defence along with Gratwicke... Grobler is a converted back rower to accomodate Gratwicke, Breden and Cheal into the same Knox side.

In hindsight, Cameron should have been jumping at 2 in the lineout for bread and butter, I would have also played Rechner at 12... don't think the 10 / 12 worked for CAS... If Gibbs was still at Cranbrook then the backline would have fired significantly better.

THP3

Bob McCowan (2)
Can't wait for U16 inter-schools this weekend at Waratah headquarters, should be some fine rugby on display for all those looking for some games to watch whilst school comps are off.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Credit to all teams yesterday who played in challenging conditions.

Tough to get combinations working when they havent been together for long. Established combinations were an advantage on the night.

Fingers crossed that we get some dry weather for Thursday and Friday to see all teams at their best. Sadly I dont like their chances...

A few observations from last night.

CAS 2 V GPS 2

Scrappy affair with the team dropping the least ball emerging the victors. Weekes (N) very impressive at Full back. GPS backs looked a lot better with the replacement Half Back Adams (S) on the field. A lot more space created for his outside backs. Riverview centre combination of Delaney and Clark clicked better than CAS opponents. Winger Kanaan (J) elusive in traffic. Pick of the forwards for GPS Maka (N), Hannan (I), Doust (I) and Clinton (I).

Thought the Wingers for CAS did well; Vass (B) and North (C). Fitzgerald (K) outpointed his GPS opposition at 10.

Surprised to see Hawkes (T) in seconds having played NSW2s last year. Came on as a replacement in CAS 1s and did a demolition job on his GPS1 opponent.

GPS1 V CAS1

Again a lot of dropped ball and errors especially at lineout. Ref policed offside and ruck infringements well much to the protest of the crowd on some occasions.

CAS backs, tough night and Wingers saw little ball. Centers did a mountain of work in defence but didn't capitalise on attacking opportunities. Agree with Rod S I dont believe any bested their GPS opponents.

CAS forwards, scrum looked much better with CAS reserves on. Which raises some interesting points around GPS front row selections as GPS held CAS scrum in 2nds but Firsts were dominated by CAS1 late in the game. Refer comments above. I was expecting Pollard (B) to stand out more in the match but in my opinion he wasnt any better than his GPS opponent Moore (S). settle down Rod S ;). Moore certainly had a better night with line out throw. Best forwards for CAS, Breden (K), Pollard (B) and Gratwicke (K)

GPS backs, outstanding service from Albert (I) at half back. step above CAS Smith (C). GPS had luxury of all Joeys 10,12 and 13 which showed. Winger Koula(N) was my best back on field. Wow he is quick! Mossman (S) broke the line and found space. Connolly (K)was quiet in miserable conditions but certainly showed his pace at FB.

GPS forwards, scrum needs a clinic but their line out was much better than CAS. Houston(J) and Bokenham(J) disruptive in lineout and around the field. Impressed with O'kane (J) who looked strong as a ball runner and in defence.

As for selections, good luck! Suspect a number of players will rule themselves out from NSW schools selection as they are already in Gen Blue Program and have the "Golden ticket".
Also posted on GPS forum

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
As for selections, good luck! Suspect a number of players will rule themselves out from NSW schools selection as they are already in Gen Blue Program and have the "Golden ticket".

Good summary. Correct, a number of boys will be ruled out with the Gen Blue Program. For example, Enrique Grobler in CAS 2's could end up in NSW 1's with Pollard and Moore both in Gen Blue, as well as many more.

anotherfatprop

Bob McCowan (2)
Just in case anyone was wondering. The Chargers got up last night in our semi-final in Putney last night. Big shoutout to Beuden Barret who got out to support the team last night. Could not have done it without him. I managed to sneak in for a couple of meat pies thanks to Stevo absolutely controlling the middle with my older brother Jason. We now turn our focus to the grand final next week. Since there's no schoolboy rugby for a few weeks would love to see WLF or Runningrugby1 out there since they have so much to say about the kids. I can assure you though, my game is flawless. AFP

Ruck Ross

Frank Row (1)
Just in case anyone was wondering. The Chargers got up last night in our semi-final in Putney last night. Big shoutout to Beuden Barret who got out to support the team last night. Could not have done it without him. I managed to sneak in for a couple of meat pies thanks to Stevo absolutely controlling the middle with my older brother Jason. We now turn our focus to the grand final next week. Since there's no schoolboy rugby for a few weeks would love to see WLF or Runningrugby1 out there since they have so much to say about the kids. I can assure you though, my game is flawless. AFP

Mate you’ve got a mighty struggle in front of you and your chargers, me and my mighty thunderbirds are looking forward to the absolute superstar clash and hopefully we get a repeat of the titanic struggle of the regular season. They really need to get some discussion going on us middle aged fellas aye mate. That’s it from me, the forward pack will do the talking next week.

RR

wallabyinwaiting

Bob McCowan (2)
sad to have missed last night, although it sounded like a tough on for the reds.
is there any schoolboy footy happening over the break? they used to put the battle of hill on around this time from memory. i wouldn't mind popping my head into a few matches.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
sad to have missed last night, although it sounded like a tough on for the reds.
is there any schoolboy footy happening over the break? they used to put the battle of hill on around this time from memory. i wouldn't mind popping my head into a few matches.

Wall, This Sat June 29 and Sunday June 30 at David Phillips Field Daceyville (Waratahs Head Quarters) the 16s schools Rep Teams will play a round robin, 8 teams involved, resulting in semis and a GF on Sunday.

The Associations involved include the GPS ( 2 teams 1 & 2) , CAS , ISA (2 Teams) , CCC, AICES, and CHS 1.

My 2 bobs worth is that there will be quite a number of boys running around, most in year 10, who are already playing in their schools 1st XV. This particular year is quite unusual in that there will be half a dozen teams with such talent that in any other year, their team would definitely win their Association, probably unbeaten, and be labelled as very special.

I would be more than happy for anyone else to add their 2 bobs worth, this age group is quite special IMO.

The first game is on Sat 10am GPS 1 v ISA 2.

The CAS website has all the details.

The weather is supposed to improve, so hope you can make it, I imagine there will be a crowd.