• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Knox 23 Alo’s 13. Knox were truly dreadful today. Alo’s played their hearts out. They never stopped. Knox tried to score from what little 1st phase possession they had, and when stopped, rather than building a platform, would try to throw impossible passes, putting themselves under immense pressure. A performance like that next week and Barker will be sole premiers by quite some distance.

P. Parker

Allen Oxlade (6)
So with 1 round to go, we have the table looking like:

Barker - 8
Knox - 6
Cranbrook - 4
Aloys - 2
Trinity - 2
Waverley - 2

Next week we have:
Aloys V Brook
Trinity V Waves
Knox V Barker

Three games that could go either way.
Knox will have to be a whole lot better next week if they want to force a joint premiership with Barker. They missed Cheal and Breden badly today. Gratwicke best on ground. The ugliest game of the year.

Corn

Bob McCowan (2)
Cranbrook vs Aloys next week should be a beauty. Tyneside will no doubt be a fortress and Cranbrook will be keen to finish the season that started with so much promise. Aloys will be keen to peg one back for the trial and finish high school with a win in front of the Aloys faithful.

Corn.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Congrats to Barker 1sts today, too good and well deserved winners.
Some anxious moments Wlfie particularly towards the end of the 2nd half when W lifted somewhat. I thought the ref called it too early by a few minutes which is a pity as I thought W could go over once more. How good was Vass for Barker at 15. That Boy has improved each game I have seen him. The game eventually was closer than the score. But a great effort by the Boys of both teams- thank you for all putting up a great battle. Great spirit and sportsmanship by all of the Boys.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cranners mothers ... wow. See below.

Hordern was a dust bowl yesterday...and a real contrast to super fertilised $cots main

Oh well looks like Cranners will end up with a middling season... probably a bit unlucky

Waverley a bit of a disappointing season... but def some high points ... and no doubt years ahead look very good

Aloys really I think have proved excellent and 2019s surprise giant killers... and no doubt will also get stellar Atars .. the last laugh

And great that the last round can influence who wins and who shares in wooden spoon

Attachments

• 364ED30B-C643-4F18-9237-CD24752A5A7E.jpeg
    364ED30B-C643-4F18-9237-CD24752A5A7E.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 522

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Cranners mothers . wow. See below.

Aloys really I think have proved excellent and 2019s surprise giant killers. and no doubt will also get stellar Atars .. the last laugh

And great that the last round can influence who wins and who shares in wooden spoon

SDW, who are the giants that the “giant killers” killed? Aloys have only won one game, that is exactly the same number that Waverley have won.

To be honest, I was very disappointed in Waverley yesterday, the only time they clawed back some pride was when there was only 3 starting Barker forwards on in the last 20 mins. I, along with a lot of other Barker parents were expecting a closer contest.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
SDW, who are the giants that the “giant killers” killed? Aloys have only won one game, that is exactly the same number that Waverley have won.

To be honest, I was very disappointed in Waverley yesterday, the only time they clawed back some pride was when there was only 3 starting Barker forwards on in the last 20 mins. I, along with a lot of other Barker parents were expecting a closer contest.
WTF, Barker are certainly on a roll, what's your prediction over the next 1-3 years?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wtf, look I was trying to be positive. Maybe aloys didn’t do anything great in beating Waverley ?!

What I will say is the Waverley team that ran out against barker was pretty injury depleted

So a completely different team to say who played against joeys (earlier in the year)

It was a long season for Waverley..particularly with the Sanix tour. and yesterday there was no Milford (13), no moretti (8), no Fretton , No Ferguson (2)

So while I didn’t take the trip north... I have no doubt the Waverley lads did their best

And great for some year 12s to get a crack in the double v

Question ... I know at some schools ie scots you have an in house physio

Before you get despatched to their external guy

And I think cranbrook similarly have an internal clinic

So I know sometimes an injury can be treated better if u have resources

You get prescribed anti inflammatories for some injuries and u will be back a lot quicker

You get enough physio sessions you get back out playing quicker ...

So not making excuses but a long season and injuries haven’t helped Waverley

And certainly I know some kids come from families where they can’t pay for the best treatment

Anyway full credit to Barker they will be back to back champs

And the only question is whether Knox can share the title

However Knox have injuries to contend with too

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)

The players did what they could with what they had. Next year the boot is likely to be on the other foot given the performance of the current crop of Waverley 16a,s. I was pleased with the game and the reason why Barker had a turnover in forwards was injuries in a hard physical game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Enough of that. Next to bring it up here gets a rest. There is a thread clearly titled for this discussion. Use it. Thank you.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well, we have a contest going down to the wire. Barker has been the best side all year. Knox has been patchy and are hit by injuries. Yet it all turns on the last 70 minutes, which is great if you're a neutral.

Can we just accept that this wasn't a vintage year for Waverley? No need to blame coaches or players' attitudes - no school gets a top-notch side every year. Next year they'll have the benefit of one of their most successful age groups in years hitting the Opens plus no doubt a league player or two). They'll be up there again. And should have too much for Trinity on Saturday.

I'm quietly confident about Trinity next year, maybe not to win, but certainly to do well. They'll have a number of players in their second or third year in the 1sts, Hawkes will be a beast and I like the look of Hannaford. They'll do Ok.

Cranbrook, on the other hand, won't do so well. This year was their big chance to make an impact and it didn't quite come off, although they can finish as high as second if they beat St Aloysius (as they should).

noeyeddear

Allen Oxlade (6)
Barker have been a very well balanced team all year and have had very few posters with any true knowledge of their players following their season. They’ve played outstanding running rugby the entire year and have run up scores of 60+ on 4 occasions. And they played all the heavyweights bar Scots. They were injury ravaged against Joeys and people like SDW were predicting an absolute bloodbath and yet they scored 4 tries and went down by 2 tries. Similarly they lost the #8 to a red card in the first 5 mins versus Newington and still only went down by 3. They had defensive issues in the Kings and View game which were later fixed with personnel changes and players returning from injuries but still scored some scintillating tries in each of those games. So what I am saying is that people who weren’t watching them play assumed they were a plodding forwards oriented team and would struggle with 2/3 of last year’s team moving on. In reality they have played a totally different style of up tempo running rugby with a much lighter pack and a lot of speed throughout the whole backline. Unlike most schools, the majority of the u17 and 18 4x100 relay runners are in this team so they have outrun teams consistently. They haven’t had a close game so far in CAS and the Waverley and Alloys supporters would surely concede they can and do scores from anywhere on the field. The game this Saturday will be a clash of styles. Knox are heavy and reportedly play it tight with a kicking 5-8 and are a very good team that grinds you down. It’s going to be a nerve racking and fitting finish to the season with the local derby and a crowd north of 5,000 on hand I would hope!

Aloys_win

Stan Wickham (3)
Agree NED.

Hopefully all the controversy following them from the past two years is let to fall by the wayside. Let them enjoy their moment. Obviously a good team. Despite all the issues around Barker Breaking multiple by laws as well, they are by far the best team from the past two years and deserve their two premierships. Hopefully the CAS committee can see that too!

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Agree NED.

Hopefully all the controversy following them from the past two years is let to fall by the wayside. Let them enjoy their moment. Obviously a good team. Despite all the issues around Barker Breaking multiple by laws as well, they are by far the best team from the past two years and deserve their two premierships. Hopefully the CAS committee can see that too!

images

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

WTF, Given the strong performances of Barker over the last 2 years, they are clearly on a roll re their Rugby program, what's your prediction going forward, eg next 1-3 years?