• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schools Rugby Tribune

Frank Nicholson (4)
This is what we have down for this coming weekend:

CAS Barker (NSW) vs Marist Canberra ACT
CAS Knox vs Oakhill ISA
CAS Trinity grammar vs St Patrick's ISA
ISA St Augustine's vs Waverley CAS
ISA St Patrick's vs Trinity Grammar CAS
ISA St Stanislaus vs Redfield ISA2
ISA St Pius vs St Aloysius CAS

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is there any team news for this weekend?

The two most interesting trials look to be Knox/Oakhill and St Augustine's/Waverely. It will be the first look at Knox's strength this year, and an interesting chance for Waverely to confirm that its win over Scots makes it a contender this year.

I can't say that I'm particularly optimistic for Knox. Last year they had three Australian Schoolboys (Lawley, Scarano, Clarke) and underperformed (of course, Clarke was injured much of the time, but still). But you can never write Knox off - they always seem to have depth and they always field committed, well-prepared teams. Waverley played well in patches last season, but never well enough to get the result they got against Scots last Friday.

You'd expect Trinity to beat St Patrick's, since Trinity has usually had the better of the contest in recent years (the last two results were 38-3 and 33-5). But St Pats have some good players and they just love beating Trinity, so it could be a hard, close game.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Will be going to Knox vs Oakhill game.
Intel from Knox has been fairly subdued but I understand they won 2 out of 2 in a one week trip to NZ earlier in holidays.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Oakhill 34 defeated Knox 26
This was a real see-sawing game with the winners scoring 5 tries to 4. Oakhill have soime big units, not only in the forwards. Their No 12 seemed to terrorise Knox backline. Having said that Knox tackling was very poor and I imagine tackling bag practice will be No 1 priority in coming week. Knox bombed at least 3 tries and did not finish off several promising moves. I think they have a couple of injuries to come back and I would not be surprised if they shuffle a couple of the @nds into 1st s next week.
They have Barker next week @ Hornsby and will need to lift their game.

clubpro

Stan Wickham (3)
Tough game for Trinity today as expected. Pats scored early through some feeble defence out wide with one being brushed off and the pats player carrying three over to score. May have been held up but no video ref so no point in complaining. Trinity struggled to build up a flow of possession and Pats were spreading the ball out wide very well. Their 2 centres played really well and are aggressive at the contact. They bombed a few tries with final passes going astray. Very impressed by Pats commitment and they obviously wanted this game badly. Half time 5-0 to Pats. Can't remember the last time Trinity were held scoreless in a half of rugby. Trinty started better in the second half and started putting a few phases together but their handling let them down on a few occasions. They scored tight in trough I think Morsello or Orr and with conversion it was 7-5. Trinity started to get a bit more flow however Pats were disrupting at the breakdown a lot and a penalty was converted by Jamo Clark. 10-5. Trinity was attacking in centre field when Clark switched play with a big pass across to the opposite side of the ruck and the Pats half intercepted for a try out wide. The Pats flyhalf missed the conversion. 10-10. Towards the last 15 mins of the match I'm pretty sure a blatant knockon was inexplicably missed and the Pats winger scored out wide with Trinity players waiting for the whistle. Again the Pats Flyhalf missed the conversion. 15-10 and Pats crowd was going off! Apparently there was a major incident with the Pats old boys converging to the sideline to celebrate with their team and sledging the Trinity players. I'm pretty sure something was done to Ola because he was ready to crack heads and had to be restrained from going up to the crowd to settle things. Pats officials and Refs tried to contain the situation. I have to say this was absolutely disgraceful. I played against Pats 20 odd years ago and I have to say they have always been the worst sports to play against and nothing has changed. There is always a minority at their school that just has no class. It spoils what is a great school and I have a lot of Pats friends.
Anyway back to the rugby. Trinity were on attack for the last 5 mins of play and they eventually bulldozed over through Malaki with basically the last play of the match. Jamo needed to convert from wide out to win and amongst jeers he calmly kicked the conversion. I understood the crap jamo was copping throughout the match from the crowd led to him giving the double salute to the crowd in the end but Jamo, next time try to restrain yourself as not a good look for Trinity.
In summary, Trinity better start getting their act together in defence and attack as the CAS schools won't be easy. Their scrum was top notch and dominated the opposition but their lineout still needs work. A little better but Vinnie needs to keep practicing his throws to the back. Not sure about Malaki at Lock as his running was negated there. The pack played pretty well against spirited opposition again lineouts need to be crisper.The props Mclean and Satui were awesome and the flankers were good. Orr was back and tried hard but a bit rusty. Whicker needs to speed up his left to right delivery as a few times the ball was a bit floaty to Jamo. However, he is a good player around the park and I guess he was disrupted by borderline offside defence all day. The backs need to work on their outside defence because to many times dummy switches were creating overlaps. Need to slide better with openside taking opposite flyhalf. This will hopefully block the holes out wide. Very difficult for Jake Roberts to cover the extra man if not sliding. He did make a good return with some nice runs and aggression. Clunies -Ross seemed to hurt his knee a bit early on so had less impact than usual. Jamo also needs to run a bit more because he is a great runner and this puts doubt in the defence's mind. Finn, Pack and the other winger quiet which means they hardly saw the ball.
Easy to be critical but this team is still trying to gel due to disruptions from injury. What you cannot fault is their cool under pressure and this game would do them wonders. It also shows they have a lot of heart to come back like they did in the final minute. Also congratulations to Pats as they nearly pulled off a great upset. They were very impressive and seem to be well coached. Great performance and I would be not be surprised to see a few rep players coming from there this year. They should give the ISA a good shake up this year. Great match, very close and good atmosphere. Just a shame the Old Boys could not help themselves and made it nasty.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity 17 St Patrick's 15

Trinity got out of jail, scoring with the final play of the game.

St Pat's scored early and led 5-0, which was the half-time score. Trinity made some great breaks, with big forwards Satiu, Morsello, McLean, Moala and Tiumalu-Afele all running hard and straight. Morsello made two strong runs and McLean was a handful when he had the ball. But there was no continuity, and all that work went for nothing because of poor handling and ball retention. Orr, back on the field, coughed the ball up twice when running wide. Clunies-Ross ran strongly but was well contained by a committed defence.

In the second half, Trinity scored early. McLean made a fantastic 40 metre run, and after a few barges at the line by the forwards, Orr crashed over under the posts - 7-5. It looked as though Trinity might run away with the game, but when awarded a penalty close to the line, they took the three points to make it 10-5. St Pat's levelled almost at once from an intercept, then scored another try in the corner (after the referee missed a knock-on) to lead 15-10.

With seconds to go, St Pat's were awarded a free kick inside their own quarter. The smart move would have been to kick for touch, which might even have ended the game. Instead the ball was hoofed downfield, and Trinity kept it for the rest of the game, winning a string of penalties near the tryline before Malaki Tiumalu-Afele crashed over. Clark judged a tricky conversion perfectly.

Trinity was at close to full strength, but often played as though the players had only just met. There was lots of great running from the forwards, but too much was one-out stuff, so that possession was often turned over. Whicker is a fine. competitive player who's dangerous when he scoots down the blind side, but he often got caught in possession at the base of the ruck and his passing is erratic. This meant that Clark was trying to get his backline moving from a poor platform (and contributed to the intercept). Discipline is poor: Orr spent most of the game arguing with the referee (hint: they never change their decisions) and Morsello often wanted to spend his time niggling the opposition. This wouldn't matter so much if Trinity didn't lose concentration so easily and make basic errors. There was a very unpleasant episode after St Pat's scored their third try when one Trinity player (not Orr or Morsello) left the field to respond to some unpleasant heckling from an obnoxious group of supporters.

Trinity played Orr, Morsello and Satiu (who was excellent) in the front row, with McLean and Malaki in the second row. McLean had a tremendous game, running with great power and surprising speed. Corias, Harb and Maoala were the back row. Harb played well and is the side's only reliable source of line-out ball. But that pack (which is probably the best use of Trinity's resources) places a lot of pressure on Corias to get to the breakdown fast, since its strength is bulk and power rather than speed.

Kotobalavu came on late in the second half and made one impressive break, and Roberts played quite well at outside centre. I suspect Finn and Kotobalavu in the centre, with Pack and Roberts on the wings, will be the most dangerous backline, although Cho, who played on the wing, is a wholehearted player.

There's an awful lot for the coaches to work on this week. Trinity will beat anyone if they can string together phases of possession. At the moment handling and control of the breakdown are weaknesses, and the forwards have to give Whicker much better protection so that he can set the backs moving. And the defence out wide still looks vulnerable.

It was quite an ill-tempered game, played in front of a large and vocal crowd. And a good wake-up call for Trinity, who will need to play much better against Waverley. For St Patrick's, the number 13, Peter Seelan (I think) was outstanding, a real threat every time he touched the ball.

N

Next Marshall

BIG BIG wake up call for trinity today..a lucky escape !!! the inside baks with the backline combinations today for trinity were pretty awfull with passes goin astray and the five ieght copping passes to his face n shin....

wat won them the game were through the forwards..speciall mention to number 4 jackson mclean (usually a proop) who ran riot and also Junio (no 3)

pine cone 3

Frank Nicholson (4)
Oakhill V Knox
An entertaining game that was deservedly won by the better performing team over the 70 mins. Knox got off to a flying start with a well worked backline move from 60m out in the opening minutes to score and lead 5-0. Oakhill then worked their way down the far touch line before a nice interplay of close passing created a score for the No13, Oakhill 7-5. From the kickoff the Oakhill No2 burst through and kicked downfield. The Oakhill 7 chased it down while jostling with a Knox opponent, regathered and scored but the referee declared a knock on from 30m behind the play. Soon after Oakhill again created a try with good passing skill for the 9 to cross close to the posts, Oakhill 14-5.

From the restart Oakhill attempted to sweep the ball accross to the left side but some indecision and a poor pass led to an easy intercept for the Knox 13 under the posts, Oakhill 14-12. Knox were dominating territorially and hammered away but were denied scoring by Oakhills' No7 holding up the Knox 10 over the line and other teamwork try line defence. Eventually from a scrum the Oakhill 9 was bluffed into defending the short side and the Knox 9 dived over on the open side as the scrum drove up through the loose head side, Knox 19-14. It should be noted that Oakhill played through this period without their No8 who was binned for what appeared to be a run of the mill sloppy high tackle. From the restart Oakhill launched another raid that resulted in a try and the half time score was Oakhill 21 to Knox 19. Knox had an overwhelming territorial advantage and an extra man for 10mins but were still behind on the scoresheet.

Early in the second half the Oakhill No10 was yellow carded for not rolling away at the tackle on the Knox 22m line. This was just another bemusing decision from the match officials that luckily didn't influence the final result. Shortly afterwards Oakhill kicked a penalty to lead 24-19. Knox then took advantage of the extra man when a well placed box kick wasn't cleaned up by the Oakhill winger and Knox got an easy try converted from touch to now lead 26-24. Oakhill were stung to be behind and attacked through their larger forwards picking and driving from the restart with the No 4 scoring, Oakhill 29-26. As the shadows lengthened Oakhill again went through the middle before some great interplay of passing saw the No6 score next to the posts, Oakhill 36-26. Knox rarely saw the Oakhill side of halfway in the dying moments and had to play a man down as well, as the Knox No2 was yellowed for a high shot on Oakhills' 9. They were lucky not to be 2 players down as a lifting tackle from the Knox 13 went beyond horizontal and was worse than the either of the 3 yellow card offences already handed out.

In all, Oakhill had the better of the individual contests and were well served by their 12, 7, 4, 15, 1 and 9 in a good team effort. Knoxs' 1, 2, 6 and 15 played well in a beaten side. Congratulations also to the two captains for holding their teams together while some amusing decisions were dealt out by the match officials at times. Running a line through Oakhills wins against Barker and Knox, along with Waverleys demise at the hands of St Augustines and Trinitys' late escape against St Patricks it would appear that this years CAS competition is open to whoever wants it.

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
It's been a couple of years since I've been to St Pats, Strathfield to watch their games.

One of the reasons for this is as mentioned above by Clubpro, being the behaviour of the St Pats old boys. Not only were they verbally abusing the opposite team at the game, they were also abusing non-St Pats supporters. Alcohol and the pack mentality was a huge factor in their behaviour.

It's a shame that these things happen because it's not needed and puts people off from going to watch what can be very good school boy games.

EDIT: typos

SteveMerrick

Allen Oxlade (6)
It's been a couple of years since I've been to St Pats, Strathfield to watch their games.

One of the reasons for this is as mentioned above by Clubpro, being the behaviour of the St Pats old boys. Not only were they verbally abusing the opposite team at the game, they were also abusing non-St Pats supporters. Alcohol and the pack mentality was a huge factor in their behaviour.

It's a shame that these things happen because it's not needed and puts people off from going to watch what can be very good school boy games.

EDIT: typos

The Pats Old Boys have been doing that forever - do they still sit in the far corner away form the College - back in the day they would be drinking throw downs - I guess it is all Alco-Pops and hair product now...

20 plus years ago one of the Pats mothers would spend the day shrieking "carn Pats!" from the start of the 13 A's to the end of the 1st XV - "Carn PATS!!!" she woud lonly pause to suck on her one of 50 winnie reds for the day.... was the highlight of the visit to Strathfield.....

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well done Pine Cone 3. Very accurate and well constructed report on the Oakhill / Knox game. Enjoyed reading your report almost as much as watching the game. Cheers.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
good on st pats and their old boys.. finally giving trinity a taste of their own medicine

Let's be clear on what happened here. When the St Pat's 10 scored in the corner to give his team a 15-10 lead, a group of maybe thirty St Pats supporters ran to the corner of the field, pushed past the rope that was supposed to hold them back, and jeered and heckled the Trinity team, loudly and abusively.

Not only have I never seen Trinity dish out that "medicine", I've never seen it at any school match, ever. It was a disgrace. How anyone can imagine that schoolboys deserve to be subjected to that kind of treatment is beyond me. I think St Pat's put in a great performance on the field and were maybe unlucky not to win the game. But their supporters deserved to finish up on the losing side.

Enough of the unpleasantness.

What about this Saturday? There isn't all that much pre-season form to go on. St Aloysius and Cranbrook are closely matched and my pick would be St Aloysius, mostly on home ground advantage. Home ground advantage should help Barker over Knox. Both schools had narrow losses to Oakhill, Barker in a low-scoring game, Knox in a high-scoring one. Barker had a solid win last week and have a good number of players back from last year's Open squad. Barker, but not by much.

Trinity/Waverley looks like the game most likely to have a bearing on the final outcome of the competition. Waverley has beaten Scots and then been pounded by St Augustine's. Trinity has played four, won four, without looking at all convincing. Trinity has a big pack, which is very strong at the scrum, wins most of its own lineout ball, and contains the most dangerous ball-carriers in the competition. But they have been slow to the breakdown, and often get turned over. The backs have been disrupted by injury and have not developed either a confident attacking combination or an organised defensive structure. Every side that has thrown the ball wide against them has found space.

Yet for all their shortcomings, they have most of the competition's most dangerous runners all in the one team - in the forwards, Satiu, McLean, Morsello, Orr, Tiumalu-Afele, Moala; in the backs, Clark and Clunies-Ross. For that reason, you can outplay them for sixty minutes and still lose.

Waverley will be pretty disciplined and will look to starve Trinity of possession. It's really too close to call, but I'll say Trinity, just.

What have I got wrong?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What can I say?
I have only seen Waverley last week where they were outplayed in almost every position.
Waverley traditionally have the lions share of the ball in these matches, but last week the Augustines pack more than matched the Waverley pack.
Augustines rarely had difficulty in getting beyond the advantage line.
A good indication of the game is that I cannot tell you what sort of a kicking game the Augs 10 has....they hardly needed him to kick.
Waverley are adequate but that is all.Trinity have got a lot of kids with big reputations. If their game matches their rep, then they should easily match the scoreline that the less celebrated Augustines kid's posted last week.
Bear in mind the 2nd half was stopped after 10 minutes for an injury, then played 10 more minutes after the ambulance had departed.The flow of the game was severely disrupted and was to Waverley's advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.