• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Do schools still make it compulsory for students to attend first XV games. It was a great day out when they used to make us do it 1995-2000!

They do, but not quite in the same way they used to. Most schools have a few compulsory home games, but boys have the option of watching the Rugby or soccer, and because the schools are so much bigger now, most of them have a few year groups attend each game. So, instead of having the whole school go to the Rugby, on a given day, Years 7 to 9 have the option of the Rugby or soccer. In the last couple of years, the crowds at CAS games have (overall) been smaller than I remember them being back in the day. Of course, in most schools now, more boys play soccer than Rugby, so in some ways this is not surprising.

I guess there will be exceptions: Knox/Barker, for instance, probably still draws well.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
In the last couple of years, the crowds at CAS games have (overall) been smaller than I remember them being back in the day. Of course, in most schools now, more boys play soccer than Rugby, so in some ways this is not surprising.

I guess there will be exceptions: Knox/Barker, for instance, probably still draws well.

Yes, ever since some of those heathen codes have gained influence the numbers have been down. And these days not only the numbers are smaller, but there also seems less 'spirit' than in the 'good old days'.....

In some cases, the wearing of school uniform at the games has also become optional to some of the kids.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trial games start this weekend, I believe. Any news (as opposed to crazy rumours) about the line-ups?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity gets its campaign under way on Saturday against St Gregory's, Campbelltown. I don't know much about St Greg's as a Rugby school, though of course they were a powerful League nursery for many years.

Anyway, the Trinity side is interesting:

1 Jackson McLean
2 Vincent Morsello
3 Ola Moala
4 Zachary Harb
5 Harrison Vincent
6 George Corias
7 Rory Hurst
8 Malaki Tiumalu-Afele
9 Brent Whicker
10 Jamieson Clark
11 Jonathan Pack
12 Finn
13 Kotobalavu
14 Gerard Holland
15 Henry Clunies-Ross

There are some good players there. Morsello, Clark, Pack and Clunies-Ross were all regular starters last year, and Malaki and Ola were very important impact players off the bench. Whicker had a little bit of game time in the Firsts (as did Holland and Hurst), and he's well-regarded.

Of the others, Harb was in a pretty poor Trinity 2nd XV last year. Corias was in the 15As. The centres are new names to me.

But what's just as important is who's out injured (with various back and knee complaints): Cameron Orr, Junior Satiu, Jake Roberts, Daryen Hazell, Sam Kerr and Milan Volavola. Volavola I don't know at all (he played 16As last year), but Orr, Satiu and Hazell were supposed to be the core of the forward pack this year. Roberts and Kerr were expected to be important in the backs.

I don't know how serious all of the injuries are, or how likely it is that Trinity will be able to put together a full-strength side any time soon. With Orr, Satiu, Roberts, Hazell and Kerr fit, they're a good chance to defend the title. Without them, I'm not so sure.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Trinity gets its campaign under way on Saturday against St Gregory's, Campbelltown. I don't know much about St Greg's as a Rugby school, though of course they were a powerful League nursery for many years.

And ?

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Yes, ever since some of those heathen codes have gained influence the numbers have been down. And these days not only the numbers are smaller, but there also seems less 'spirit' than in the 'good old days'.....

In some cases, the wearing of school uniform at the games has also become optional to some of the kids.

I find it quite sad that the level of interest has dropped. My brother was in the 1st XV (Even got a photo in the Sun Herald haha) the grandstands used to be full, and it was an event wen the 1st XV played. When he was playing the Sun Herald even did a season preview.

Why has the comp lost its luster?

Should it go back to a comp where you just play each school once????

clubpro

Stan Wickham (3)

1 Jackson McLean
2 Vincent Morsello
3 Ola Moala
4 Zachary Harb
5 Harrison Vincent
6 George Corias
7 Rory Hurst
8 Malaki Tiumalu-Afele
9 Brent Whicker
10 Jamieson Clark
11 Jonathan Pack
12 Finn
13 Kotobalavu
14 Gerard Holland
15 Henry Clunies-Ross

There are some good players there. Morsello, Clark, Pack and Clunies-Ross were all regular starters last year, and Malaki and Ola were very important impact players off the bench. Whicker had a little bit of game time in the Firsts (as did Holland and Hurst), and he's well-regarded.

Of the others, Harb was in a pretty poor Trinity 2nd XV last year. Corias was in the 15As. The centres are new names to me.

But what's just as important is who's out injured (with various back and knee complaints): Cameron Orr, Junior Satiu, Jake Roberts, Daryen Hazell, Sam Kerr and Milan Volavola. Volavola I don't know at all (he played 16As last year), but Orr, Satiu and Hazell were supposed to be the core of the forward pack this year. Roberts and Kerr were expected to be important in the backs.

I don't know how serious all of the injuries are, or how likely it is that Trinity will be able to put together a full-strength side any time soon. With Orr, Satiu, Roberts, Hazell and Kerr fit, they're a good chance to defend the title. Without them, I'm not so sure.
Rowland kotobalavu- SGBall Dragons rep 2011 and plays rugby as well, Connor Finn(Canterbury Junior and Sydney Junior Rep 2011). Never seen them play. Will be interesting.

Constantine

Stan Wickham (3)
I find it quite sad that the level of interest has dropped. My brother was in the 1st XV (Even got a photo in the Sun Herald haha) the grandstands used to be full, and it was an event wen the 1st XV played. When he was playing the Sun Herald even did a season preview.

Why has the comp lost its luster?

Should it go back to a comp where you just play each school once????

I don't think the recent CAS change, from playing each school once to playing each school twice is to blame. If anything I believe that has enhanced the competition. Its more likely the rise of the soccer mums and that some schools draw from a catchment where soccer is more popular.More kids are playing soccer and more people are watching it rather than the main game.

Some of the CAS schools and I think Trinity is one, currently are in postions where there are now more soccer teams than rugby!

With only 6 teams in the CAS, the for & away competition effectively evens things up by giving each team the chance to play the opposition in front of their home crowd and gain the home ground advantage. It also gets rid of the somewhat crazy situation where the pre season goes for 7-8 games and the real competition was only 5 games.

Constantine

Stan Wickham (3)
There seems to be a reasonable amount of commentary about Trinity on this thread and i look forward to hearing about their result against St Gregs this w/end. I think they finished about middle of the ISA last year??

But what about the other schools? From another thread it looks like Barker is playing St Pius X tomorrow.
What about Knox, Waverly et al?

K

KeenEye

Aloys, with little preparation and without a couple of key players, were too good for Cranbrook - 24-10 (12-5 HT). I read that Barker thumped Pius 37 nil

clubpro

Stan Wickham (3)
St Gregs started well against Trinity with a try to their very fast winger. Trinity then dominated field position and hit back with tries to their bullocking forwards from close to the tryline and then followed up with a good try from deep in their own half with Clunies-Ross released down the sideline with good support play taking the inside pass to score wide out. St Gregs then hit back with some great passing along their backline to their speedy winger and they scored again. Morsello then scored a typical dodgem car style try by bouncing through tackles and muscling trough for another try. Trinity scrum dominant throughout the match and even though key players are injured they did very well. Jackson Mclean and Ola Moala played very well with some barnstorming runs as well and the young flankers showed they were up to it. Corias showed potential with some good runs and Malaki Afele was damaging when he had the ball. Some players rotated After Half Time break to trial players in different positions and to see some bench players ply their trade. Half time score was around 33-14 to Trinity. St Gregs scoredf a magnificent try from their own 22 with cut out passes leading to a runaway try down the sideline. Their centre pulling a hammy while scoring. St Gregs have great outside backs and their little Fullback was outstanding when he had the ball and was beating players at will. Trinity new boy Connor Finn showed his power by scoring back to back tries by bumping and swatting away players for two 50 metre efforts. Jamo Clark directed well at fly half and kicked for goal brilliantly. For a first hit out it was not a bad effort. Defence alignment still needs to be worked on as St greg tries were sometimes caused by being outnumbered. Lineout still needs some work as throws went over the back. All up both teams played great expansive rugby and ran the ball from everywhere. Entertaining to watch. With 6 players to return, Trinity will get stronger.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Only an idiot would read much into the results of trial matches in March. So here goes. On the basis of what happened yesterday, I'd say the early signs are that the stories of Barker's strength this year are not exaggerated. Trinity look to be, in many ways, different from last year's side, but still with hard-running forwards and plenty of speed in the backs. You'd say these two schools start early favourites. Cranbrook and St Aloysius are unlikely to win the competition, but won't be easybeats and will pull off the odd upset. But, as I say, it's March, and only an idiot...

T

talentScout

i was at the trinity vs gregs game on the weekend, trinity again look very strong and hard to beat this year

any up dates on possible teams from other schools yet?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)

1 Jackson McLean
2 Vincent Morsello
3 Ola Moala
4 Zachary Harb
5 Harrison Vincent
6 George Corias
7 Rory Hurst
8 Malaki Tiumalu-Afele
9 Brent Whicker
10 Jamieson Clark
11 Jonathan Pack
12 Finn
13 Kotobalavu
14 Gerard Holland
15 Henry Clunies-Ross

Jackson McLean is a very good young prop and really stood out at last years Schools carnival so he'll do a good job in place of Satiu & Orr if Cam's playing up front again this year. Trinity must have the greatest depth in frontrowers of any NSW schoolboy team with Orr, Satiu, McLean, Morsello & Moala.

R

rugby eye

Barker are playing Oakhill this weekend. Should be a good game. Oakhill are typically strong and barker with many players from last year.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Oakhill should provide a good test of Barker's prospects. Meanwhile, Trinity plays St Stanislaus. This was a game that Trinity won 27-23 last year, and I'd expect another close one on Saturday. What's happening elsewhere?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity 33 St Stanislaus 18

Rather a messy game, to be honest, as neither side was able to hold possession for more than two or three phases. Trinity's coaches have a lot of work ahead of them in their holiday camp.

What may concern them the most was how easily Stannies managed to create the overlap when they moved the ball wide. But other problems were:

+ the line out. Uncertain on their own ball, Trinity just conceded possession on Stannies' throw;

+ the scrum. Trinity was good at disrupting opposition ball, poor at controlling its own;

+ Whicker's service from scrum half was erratic - often Clark and Clunies-Ross were asked to half-volley the ball or catch it ankle-high - although in general play Whicker was committed and lively.

Four of Trinity's five tries were scored by forwards crashing over in close, the other was created by a nice ball from Clark to Clunies-Ross (who was a threat every time he had the ball and made at least three try-saving tackles). Clark played well, defended soundly and kicked well in general play. He attacks the line a lot and his flankers need to understand this and stick with him so he isn't isolated. Finn was quiet and Kotobalavu didn't play. Pack on the wing was a threat. Flanker Hurst went off with a nasty-looking injury. Trinity relied on their big units to make it over the advantage line but Ola and Malaki tended to run diagonally (but McLean made some hard straight runs).

Rusty, overall.

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Oakhill 12 defeated Barker 10 at Oakhill today.
Barker set piece very good - particularly the lineout. Physical game played in hot conditions that saw many players cramping towards the end of the match. Without knowing too much about the Barker lads thought Wilson at 2, Jenkins at 9 and Fletcher at 12 had very good games.
Oakhill weren't technically as strong as Barker but played with a lot of passion. Woodward at 12 was his normal imposing self and Goddard at lock was the pick of the forwards. Pretty good game for this early in the season.
Barker just got over Oakhill in the dying minutes of the 2nds in a very entertaining game and Oakhill dominated the thirds which makes me question earlier comments re Barker's depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.