• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Waverley look like they are the team to beat at this stage of the comp. However in the clash this weekend against Barker their current standard may be challenged. Barkers depth is looking stong the front row stretching all the way down to the 3rds with Jordan Mesmon? i think his name is playing strong and inflicting a few injuries, partially out with a bad knee.
The waverley squad will be hard to get by and i predict an even battle in the 2nds and waverley up by no more than 10 in the 1's.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Waverley look like they are the team to beat at this stage of the comp. However in the clash this weekend against Barker their current standard may be challenged. Barkers depth is looking stong the front row stretching all the way down to the 3rds with Jordan Mesmon? i think his name is playing strong and inflicting a few injuries, partially out with a bad knee.
The waverley squad will be hard to get by and i predict an even battle in the 2nds and waverley up by no more than 10 in the 1's.

Finally somebody i agree with on this match! Barker 1s will need to find their long unseen form to be of any contest to Waverly though, but its good to finally see somebody who isn't riding Barker off based completely on point difference

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity 34 Carnbrook 24

Trinity needed to win this one to stay in touch with the top of the ladder and salvage some credibility after an awful performance last week. But the opening few minutes were a showcase of the worst this team had to offer. Trinty, receiving, couldn't get a hand on the kick-off, then gave away a penalty. Cranbrook had a lineout a few metres out, worked the blind side and Oliver Delorenzo went over in the corner - 5-0, with Trinity yet to touch the ball. The first touch in general play came when Harb jumped to claim a lineout throw, but the ball still came out to Cranbrook. Jacob Roberts executed a late and dangerous tackle and went off for a ten minute rest. Cranbrook again won the lineout from the penalty, spun the ball wide, and this time the right winger, Rathie scored in the corner. 10-0, with Trinity yet to play any real Rugby. The forwards then took control, taking play into Cranbrook's quarter, and after a few phases Clark kicked a difficult penalty: 10-3. Trinity managed to put together a few phases with Ola Moala and Malaki Afele making some hard yards, but play tended to break down, often through the recurrence of the Whicker passing problem. One pass hit Jamieson Clark on the ankle, another sailed high over his head and needed to be cleaned up in the centres. Eventually, after a series of tap kicks, Orr powered over from short range and Clark converted: 10-10 at half time. Cranbrook's forwards were much smaller than their Trinity counterparts, especially as hefty prop Paul Cullen went off in the first few minutes and was replaced by someone half his size. Tom Fay did well in the lineouts and was all over the park in general play.

In the second half, Trinity took control. Jonathan Pack burst through a ruck and ran forty metres to score. Ola Moala - who played very well, a lot tighter than usual, scored from close range. And the try that broke Cranbrook was superb: from a lineout inside Trinity's quarter, Malaki Afele caught the long throw and produced a barnstorming run up to just over half way, when Orr took the ball and ran more than forty metres to score. Very impressive speed and power from both forwards. Late in the game Jacob Roberts made a good counter-attacking run, and fed the ball to Junior Satiu, who barged over. Cranbrook kept trying even though they were outgunned and Fay's two tries late in the game kept the scoreline respectable.

Individual players. For Trinity, Clark played well again, doing his best to spark a backline that just has not gelled. He kicked four from seven, I think, strangely hitting the difficult ones and missing some that were easier. Pack was very good until he limped off injured, and Roberts tried to make up for his early lack of discipline with some good runs. Satiu, Moala, McLean, and Afele all played well in the tight and made good ground when they carried the ball. Trinity still needs a genuine open-side, but Harb and Hurst had solid games. Connor Finn did some good things but insists on holding onto the ball every time he creates an overlap.

Coffill played hooker in place of the injured Morsello. He looks as though he's more comfortable in a McDonalds than in the gym, and he can do none of the spectacular stuff Morsello does, but he played whole-heartedly and effectively for the full game. Similarly, Ebeling played centre in place of Kotobalavatu, and had a very solid game. A lot has been said about the speed of Cranbrook's winger Delorenzo, but it needs to be said that on one occasion Rihann Barkley-Brown brought him down from behind.

For Cranbrook, Fay was good and the halves, Swanborough and Tierney, moved the ball around nicely. The Cranbrook centres tended to run across field a little too much. Both wingers had problems with their hands but ran well when they had the ball. I'm not sure who 21 was, but he created the strangest moment of the game when the ball popped out of a maul and no-one else noticed it but him. He'd run about forty metres down the blind side before anyone realised.

Trinity would be relieved rather than happy. Whicker (late-tackled, which the referee missed) and Orr both went off injured in the second half. Overall, the major improvement on last week was a greater commitment at the breakdown and a greater hunger to secure and keep possession. Restarts and lineouts are still horrible, and the fact that the backs never field the same combination two weeks running is not helping their cohesion.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Aloys 15 Knox 14
A game that was at times entertaining and frustrating, Aloys put away a poorly disciplined and underwhelming Knox. Though one of their players seemed to be seriously injured: taken away by an ambulance, Aloys seemed more enthusiastic and committed. Both sides showed some abysmal skills, especially with goal kicking. Knox missed the proverbial sitter that would have won the game with moments left. However Aloys also missed a few easy kicks and also inexplicably went for the line rather than goal a few times.
Though their tackling was improved Knox still had difficulty putting player to ground. They also descended into a rabble a few times. I would still consider their style of play ponderous and one dimensional. Their 13, 6 and 15 stood out in my opinion.
Aloys really seemed to want to win this one. Their 7 stood out most, but they all tried. I was surprised at how well their forwards did. Definitely not a great side, but a hard working side that can't be taken for granted.

barkercas

Frank Nicholson (4)
Two off form teams today barker fowards proved to good, waverly backline barely got a touch of the ball barker 19-7

S

simon jenkins

Two off form teams today barker fowards proved to good, waverly backline barely got a touch of the ball barker 19-7

21-7 to Barker after a very comprehensive display right across the park. Barker pack dominated in ruck, maul, and set plays to deny Waverley many opportunities with the ball. Two converted tries gave Barker a 14-0 lead at half time. It was one try a piece in the second half but Barker were held up over the line a couple of times. Johnson & Patterson played well for Waverley, and Edney & Marais were standouts in the marauding Barker pack. Barker centres Stoltz and Flaherty were very strong.

ABOYS2012

Bob McCowan (2)
With an unfortunate game stopping injury to the Aloys flanker, Agius, halted Knox's initial momentum. However, a well-drilled Aloys team were very hungry for the ball. Harrison Williams, Mitchell Wood and Thomas Booth had brilliant games respectively. Despite the size dominance of Knox, Aloys kept up with them, and Mitch Wood in particular was tough in defence.
From Knox, Creeley, Nutbean and Sam Kitchen played very well, directing the team around the park, and as always, Creeley ran extremely line at the Aloys defensive line. A few missed kicks from both teams set up a close and exciting end to the game. Luke Vevers stood up and directed the Aloys boys and played extremely well.
A frustrating game for both sides, but regardless, both teams teams should be commended for their drive and determination.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The next round now becomes the most important of the entire competition.

If Barker wins, it is virtually guaranteed a share of the premiership. It will have five wins, and Trinity and Waverley (assuming Waverley wins), three each. A two-game lead is very hard to run down - in fact, no-one has lost from that position in the ten-round competition. What's more, the draw means that in the second half of the season, Barker plays two of the three weaker teams before it meets Trinity or Waverely again.

On the other hand, if Trinity can spring an upset, Barker and Trinity will be on four wins each, Waverely (probably) on three, and those three schools will still have everything to play for.

So, it's a huge game, and Barker will be at home. This year, they have done what they needed to do to win and not a whole lot more, but by all accounts (I haven't seen them), they have depth and discipline and the ability to control the game through the forwards. If you needed to pick a winner, you'd go for Barker's more controlled style of play. Then again, how do you write off a team that today had a second-rower and prop combine for a length of the field try?

If I were coaching Trinity, I would take the forwards aside this week and just drill them on three things. Lineouts. At the moment, Trinity couldn't steal a lineout from the Abbotsleigh Under 13s (mind you, some of those girls can jump!). Winning most of your own throws should not be a challenge, but Trinity just can't seem to manage it. They will need to against Barker. Then I'd work on restarts: same problem, they can't win a contested restart and they won't be able to give away that much ball against Barker. And then finally, I'd work on recycling possession. Barker will approach the game with a plan to starve Trinity of possession. Trinity will need to make sure that when they have the ball, they don't cough it up.

After that there won't be too much time to work on discipline. But they will need to play the game with a full team. They have had yellow cards in each of the last two games. If they want to compete at Barker, they will need to cut out the dumb stuff.

My impression is that this Trinity team is talented but not very teachable. The Barker team seems to have less individual flair, but greater teamwork. Should be an interesting game.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
I agree with Snort. The Trinity side seem to have huge potential and i think will have the benefit of playing the barker side after their big win today. Barker may feel they have overcome the biggest game of the season but trinity could pose trouble.
Id be placing a close call with trinity up by 5 however there is still a weeks training and i was wrong on the Waverley prediction.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
If I were coaching Trinity, I would take the forwards aside this week and just drill them on three things. Lineouts. At the moment, Trinity couldn't steal a lineout from the Abbotsleigh Under 13s (mind you, some of those girls can jump!). Winning most of your own throws should not be a challenge, but Trinity just can't seem to manage it.
The best lineout so far has been Cranbrook - won every one on their own throw against Aloys, (even with Harry Williams best efforts) and have been secure in every other game - consistent and accurate throwing all season from the Cranbrook hooker to some good jumpers.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
The next round now becomes the most important of the entire competition.

My impression is that this Trinity team is talented but not very teachable. The Barker team seems to have less individual flair, but greater teamwork. Should be an interesting game.

Picked it like a nose - on paper Trinity 2012 is a stronger combination than Trinity 2011 - BUT - I think that the other schools are also stronger than their 2011 editions, and on a head to head basis, probably to a greater degree. Comment is occasionally made as to Trinity playing like strangers - heard an interesting observation about the number of "new" faces to Trinity's rugby program - they are perhaps indeed strangers.

CASoldboy

Stan Wickham (3)
Knox14-Aloysius15
Very surprised at this result, watched aloysius vs cranbrook in round 1 and wasn't impressed at all. Came to knox and saw a different team, the number 10 Vevers stood out for me, as did the number 2 (not sure of the name). While this refreshed aloysian team must be commended, the knox boys shot themselves in the foot. Constant dropped ball and missed penalties cost them the game. The knox number 13 again made strong in roads, his opposite lacked a bit in defence but made up for it with some strong runs late in the game. Certainly throws a spanner in the works for this competition, this aloys team is not to be discounted. Watch for 7,10,5, 12 and 2 from the aloys team for CAS honours. Waverley next week will be the real test if this team wants to stand up in the competition. A shaky win for trinity yesterday, but a wins a win, watch for a rejuvenated trinity side next week!

W

wicks

Barker forward pack very dominant,completeley denying Waverley the ball for much of the 1st half. Barker had done their homework, rumble in the forwards all day denying the explosive Waverley backline ball.No.4 Marais man of the match, fantastic in the lineouts,scrum and in general play,flankers,Pearson and Burkett everywhere and the frontrowers very solid. In the back's Tyson Davis outpointed his much talked about opponent in Paterson, although he was heavily marked and still played well, while Flaherty provided good "cash ball" the very few times Barker went wide. Waverley struggled in the forwards and could not maintain multiple phases, without the work of no.7 Johnson and no 8 Connor, Waverley would not have been so close, in the backs halfback Whitaker for Waverley outplayed his opposite Jenkins, who despite his forward packs dominance, didn't run the ball once, while Whitaker made several inroads, and saved a certain Barker try held up over the line. Wileman on the wing looked Waverley’s most likely, and Smith with limited opportunities capitalised with several incisive runs....Barker too good on the day, looking forward to Barker v Trinity next week, should be a cracker.

Status
Not open for further replies.