• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
On a brilliant autumn day St Pat’s Strathfield hosted Knox, the two schools playing their A sides. Strathfield seems to be one of those suburbs that reminds one of a 50’s or 60’s Sydney. Wide streets, mostly neat, solid and comfortable houses with settled gardens. Framed by trees that gives the perspective of a verdant horizon and shielding the sounds and sights of the city. But it would seem that not all is well in this calm and quiet. Around the school were houses with signs exhorting ‘Save Strathfield’, ‘Stop the Expansion’. Mischief is afoot and apparently consuming the suburb. And who is causing this mischief?? The Australian Catholic University and the plans to expand its campus. Which, to this outsider is a little odd; for the campus does appear to blend quite sympathetically into the environment and it has been there for a while. Also at least one of the properties vociferously voicing its inhabitants’ opposition to the expansion seems to have been designed with a startling degree of ostentatious crassness and whose own existence seems to have been predicated on friends and monetary influence at the council rather than thoughtful and classy design. But such is life in the burbs, and from my perspective they are lucky it is the ACU building and not Meriton .

I am not certain when Knox last played at St Pats, but I think it may have been quite a few years and the game then was stopped short by the tragic death of one of the Knox players on the field. It has been mentioned in other threads about the history of St Pats playing CAS schools, but I am glad that schools do play outside their association. To allow the kids greater experiences and make the sport less insular. The game started with both sides a little disjointed, but St Pats found their rhythm and soon scored a good try to their 5/8 (I think). Their forwards out enthused and muscled the Knox forwards and the weight of possession and territory. The St Pats no8 looked impressive; combining power, strength and a willingness to confront the opposition. It would be hard to say which side was bigger, but the St Pats centers were sizeable and the front row looked the goods. Their power was evident in the scrum; which shaded the Knox scrum initially.

Though they were dominant for the first 15 or so minutes, St Pats could not score again. Their back line seemed to be one dimensional – passing with out advancing. Though this may have been due to the defence of Knox. Who, after the first try against them, covered well in defence. Surprisingly, on more than one occasion, the handling let both sides down. For the conditions there was a fair bit of dropped ball. As Knox became settled, they started moving down the field, using the pick and drive and some well considered kicking. This showed up on the score board and soon Knox had edged in front; a close range uncoverted try to even the score and then soon after a backline move from rusk ball to go 12 – 5 ahead. At that stage Knox lifted and went to halftime in a dominating position.

The second half started slow and both sides parried with out upsetting the scorer for the initial half of the half. Though Knox were looking the better side. Though the St Pats scrum was still more than holding their own. The St Pats 5/8 was a constant threat and Knox just held on a couple of times to avoid being scored against. However Knox lifted midway through and continued their try scoring. I believe in all their 13 scored a hat-trick. Late in the game St Pats a short range intercept – their 10, but they had worked their way into that position. Knox were starting to breach the defence on a regular basis, they had good counter attack and also started holding the ball more regularly. They scored a couple of good long range tries in which the forwards did strong build up work before releasing the backs. The final score was 45 – 12. Seven tries to two. For St Pats the 10 and 8 were the obvious stand outs. Though they were given good support by the rest of the team. I liked their front row and the team were enthusiastic and energetic. They may have suffered from a lack of depth (the St Pats 2nds lost 55 – 0) and thus the replacements didn’t necessarily add a great deal.

There were no obvious standouts in the Knox side. (Perhaps the 13 with his hat trick put up his hand though). They played with a ruthless efficiency, spread the ball effectively and used the width of the field effectively. Though shaded in the scrum in all other aspects their forwards were dominant. Some criticisms were some ill-judged kicking (kicking the ball away on a 2 – 1 overlap???) and some lack of discipline at times. Sometimes I think they may have tried to over do things when simplicity may have been the way to go. Their defence was very good. Judging by what numbers the players had on their backs it looked as though Knox were missing five of their regular firsts. Or perhaps at Knox, in the spirit of ‘positive thinking’ they allow the kids to wear any number they like, but I hope there isn’t an injury issue before the season almost starts.

The game was played in good spirit, both sides attacking and being enterprising. There were no penalty kicks at goal taken. In the picturesque surrounds of Breen Oval and in the sun it was a pleasant start to the day. And the coffee from the coffee van was more than adequate.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ha, funny re meriton. only able to see first half, but based on that alone, think Knox are a strong chance in cas. Reckon they would give scots a shock. (Only GPS team I have seen) Backs were pretty slick. Five eight was big and Moved well. Number 13 showed good speed, and 14 was particularly big and fast for a schoolboy. Their style of play was largely to out muscle opposition, and with a big pack, They set a good platform and played a simple brand of rugby. barker will have a good battle on their hands, and if reports of a lack of size, they might have to out-think this team. in terms of weaknesses, Goal kicking didn't seem like a strong suit, and maybe line-out. Look forward to seeing barker v Knox, should be a cracker!

Robert Farah

Frank Row (1)
Knox Played St Pats today at Strathfield.

Knox 45 - 15

TF and C's:
Thoughts: Knox very Dominant in both grades. Knox 13 scored a cheeky hatrick in 1sts.

Feelings: Knox 14 Chundering on sideline hardly appealing with my mocha latte nearly resurfacing!

Concerns: St Pats depth as well as Lagudi missing for a second consecutive week.

Knox Opens look quite strong this year with old faces such as R.Christie and P.Lagudi returning as well as some new blood in B.Essing. All bright prospects who will be pushing for spots soon enough.

One Query though with regards to Lagudi injury, any thoughts on return date?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Update on Barkers Safferland Tour

"Barker College recorded their third straight win on their tour of South Africa on Tuesday, with a convincing 33-15 win over Strand High School in Somerset-West.

Strand High loomed as the toughest tour match for Barker. The Aussies now wrap up their five-match tour with what should be two much easier marches against Edgemead High on Saturday and Settlers High on Monday.

Barker earlier defeated Bryanston High (Jo,burg) and Linkside High (Port Elizabeth)."
From:http://schoolstribune.com/barker-college-makes-it-from-on-rsa-tour-p843-1.htm

YR!

Peter Burge (5)
Any predictions for the weekend? Personally, I think Knox will be all over Barker. Knox will be too well trained I think, and this will be enough to combat the red army and the return of the 'crazy red fever guy.'

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
I also can see that although Barker has done a tour and done quite well, other schools have been amoung the same trial games and can therefor gather were the strengths and weaknesses in the comp will be.
Barker now lacks this and Will be shocked when they come against a different opponent to what they have warmed to in SA.

I predict Knox up on barker by 10

YR!

Peter Burge (5)
Rumours are circulating of Kennan and possibly Coles returning to the Barker line up, as a part of pathways program. Surely the return of these two would devastate other CAS sides. Anyone confirm or deny?

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
I did hear something about Kennan but I won't be able to confirm or deny that news!
Pathways is always a good opportunity for students however when it comes to the competition it could ruin the spirit if playing amoung your level. Kennan could change the hole turn of this season IF and only IF what you hear is true, YR. .. good insight but I'm still getting my head around your name? are you an old boy?

YR!

Peter Burge (5)
I did hear something about Kennan but I won't be able to confirm or deny that news!
Pathways is always a good opportunity for students however when it comes to the competition it could ruin the spirit if playing amoung your level. Kennan could change the hole turn of this season IF and only IF what you hear is true, YR. .. good insight but I'm still getting my head around your name? are you an old boy?

I can neither confirm or deny whether I am an old boy Eshayz. Will I be seeing you Saturday?

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
I am away this weekend but will be at majority of other games. I'll float round and be watching those with the highest stakes on them.
and best cooked STEAK sambo!

YR!

Peter Burge (5)
I am away this weekend but will be at majority of other games. I'll float round and be watching those with the highest stakes on them.
and best cooked STEAK sambo!

Funny you should mention steak sambos! By far Barker has the best food during the rugby season. I cannot figure out why other schools cannot follow suit. Poor food leads to poor nutrition for the players, thus significantly affects the quality of the game. I believe this is an issue which seriously needs to be addressed.

Anyway, back to the footy. I will also be floating round this year, particularly to Knox games. Hope I see you around!

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
B. Essing ? sounds like an acronym for bull shitting! ahh sorry mate just had to rip that BRC out while it was fresh. hoo roo

Reactions: YR!

YR!

Peter Burge (5)
B. Essing ? sounds like an acronym for bull shitting! ahh sorry mate just had to rip that BRC out while it was fresh. hoo roo

What a rippa! The prospect of Essing playing against Barker would be devastating. A lot holds on whether Kennan will be playing. I think his size and kicking ability is up there with the best. Crowds in excess of 10,000 expected at Knox this weekend. Red army expected to attend in full force.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
haha one joke doesn hurt every now and again? there was no harm done to anyone with a BRC. Loosen up mate and give us all some insight on the predictions for this weekend

Reactions: YR!
Status
Not open for further replies.