• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
That is what my sources are informing me. Replacements could be interesting, however. Surely options would include M. Lloyd, A. Knox or J.Coles.
I hardly see why they would move the 2nds half back up to the 1sts to play fullback. As for Anthony Knox, he is a very good centre and solid in defence and I would actually agree that he is better suited to playing fullback at first grade level than the current 2nds fullback who I assume is this J.Coles you speak of. However, I'd have to agree with eshayz on this one... Undoubtedly Davis, being last years 1st XV fullback, will be slotted back into his old position and I think that Will Stevens, an experienced 2nd XV player, will be moved to winger for the 1s

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Everybody - there are three big days of NSW Opens trials involving CHS, ISA, GPS, CAS and other school associations, coming up.

Every year we have posts in the CHS, ISA etc etc threads on the trials whereas the posts really relate to the NSW Schools thread.

So, when the trial dates arrive, write about the game in the NSW Schools thread, not in this one.

Sure, it is fair enough to write about who should have been in a CAS team and who shouldn't have been, in this thread, but, in the main, comments on the trial matches themselves and who should make the NSW team, or shouldn't, belong in the NSW thread.

Sometimes there are comments on a GPS v CAS game, for example, in three different threads: GPS, CAS and NSW Schools.

Let's use the NSW Schools thread only please.

Thank you,

I'll put this in the other threads as well

doozy1

Frank Row (1)
i think that the way the CAS 1sts team was selected, wasnt the way it should have been selected. CHS regardless of the amount of schools in that region, had 13 players from different schools, this is why they won. They selected, individuals who the best at each positon. Hopefully in the game against GPS, CAS selectors dont select the team based on best combinations and actually select who are the best players for each position.

alpha

Peter Burge (5)
i think that the way the CAS 1sts team was selected, wasnt the way it should have been selected. CHS regardless of the amount of schools in that region, had 13 players from different schools, this is why they won. They selected, individuals who the best at each positon. Hopefully in the game against GPS, CAS selectors dont select the team based on best combinations and actually select who are the best players for each position.

Combinations argument appears to be what held sway in selecting the CAS backs not forwards. Against CHS it was in the forwards that we were killed. So your point doesn't work. CHS were simply a better team who dominated in the forwards. Also remember that CHS team had more time together so forwards worked better as a unit.

Also as many of the posts on this site attest - picking the best player in every position regardless of combinations may have resulted in the same team! The selection that generated the most criticism on this thread was Eddie Elwood-Hall who was just about the best CAS back on the day. Stoltz selection also got a fair bit of complaint and he was was very strong against CHS.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Combinations argument appears to be what held sway in selecting the CAS backs not forwards. Against CHS it was in the forwards that we were killed. So your point doesn't work. CHS were simply a better team who dominated in the forwards. Also remember that CHS team had more time together so forwards worked better as a unit.

Also as many of the posts on this site attest - picking the best player in every position regardless of combinations may have resulted in the same team! The selection that generated the most criticism on this thread was Eddie Elwood-Hall who was just about the best CAS back on the day. Stoltz selection also got a fair bit of complaint and he was was very strong against CHS.

Look, I think the CAS forwards chosen were the best available, give or take a quibble. The best are Satiu and Williams, and Williams (who has played with injury all year) came off after only a few minutes. I haven't seen this year any dominant locks (think Williams on 2012 form) or truly dangerous back-rowers (think Johnson in 2012, O'Sullivan in 2011). You can chop and change, and arguably there are players in the 2nds who have done just as much to deserve a spot as those in the 1sts, but those changes wouldn't transform the quality of the team.

Last year, CAS was beaten pretty easily by GPS. And look who was in that CAS team - Orr, Lawley and Wilson played Australian Schools and Johnson was unlucky not to. This year, the only player who looks like getting that far is Jones. The fact is that some years are stronger than others and this year isn't looking like a particularly great vintage. I don't mean that as any criticism of the effort the boys put in and it's not a moral statement (I'm happy to believe that they all have more "passion" than David Warner in a nightclub at 2am) - it's just that, to my eye, this year's best XV is of a slightly lower standard than those of the last couple of years.

doozy1

Frank Row (1)

its a large debate that seems will go on for awhile, i just think that the players that would have performed better in the backline were, Wicker and odonnell. in the forwards flankers, second rowers and props could have been thought out better.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
personally I think it's a little silly that people are saying "this is what the team should've been" yet they didnt post up any predictions before the teams were selected.
Whoever was in the team was there for a reason and a GOOD reason too. Whether it was based on combinations or Indiviual talent is the selectors choice.

in other words Try to predict what might happen rather than say "this was wrong" - unless of course it's in regards to game structure/patterns/play.

...but that's just what I think. feel free to agree or disagree

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Anybody going to Cranbrook v Barker?

If so, could you write a brief report in this thread and if it is halfway decent I'll lift bits of it and put it in "match on the run" report, which is an abbreviated report.

Anybody interested in writing full match reports, on the above game, or any game during the season, please send me a "conversation" by clicking on "Inbox" and going from there.

We need to rotate our bench in the season.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Photos

A blog always looks better when there are a few photos in it. Maybe folks don't want to write anything but they may be interested in taking a few snaps and they can be added to what somebody else has written.

They don't have to be fancy - ones done on a phone camera are OK for things like a crowd scene or a lineout.

Or you could be a camera buff and have a you-beaut lense and can take action shots from far away.

Anybody really interested could send me a "conversation" or if you just want to make a general enquiry, just respond in this thread.

Thank you.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
its a large debate that seems will go on for awhile, i just think that the players that would have performed better in the backline were, Wicker and odonnell. in the forwards flankers, second rowers and props could have been thought out better.
I find this absolutely laughable.
"The flankers, second rowers, and props - that's 6 of the 8 forwards.
Everybody is an arm-chair critic and selector.
Guess what - we're not!!
There's been 1 game. Let's see how this next game goes before suggesting that the actual selectors were wrong on 6 of the 8 selections in the forwards (as well as a couple in the backs).
I expect the CAS forwards will "gel" far better. I expect them to win against ISA.I don't expect them to win against GPS, but do expect then to put play better both individually and as a team.

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
I find this absolutely laughable.
"The flankers, second rowers, and props - that's 6 of the 8 forwards.
Everybody is an arm-chair critic and selector.
Guess what - we're not!!
There's been 1 game. Let's see how this next game goes before suggesting that the actual selectors were wrong on 6 of the 8 selections in the forwards (as well as a couple in the backs).
I expect the CAS forwards will "gel" far better. I expect them to win against ISA.I don't expect them to win against GPS, but do expect then to put play better both individually and as a team.
The Backs In ISA I am Confident will win the game.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
The Backs In ISA I am Confident will win the game.

yeh going off the Barker v Oak Hill trial, the combination of davis, jones, and elwood-hall could not be contained. So long as the CAS forwards maintain possession and manage to camp in the ISA half there wont be much of an issue in beating them. Every time Oak Hill kicked out of their 22, either one of the Barker back 3 would have literally ran the ball back to or beyond where the ball had been kicked from.

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
yeh going off the Barker v Oak Hill trial, the combination of davis, jones, and elwood-hall could not be contained. So long as the CAS forwards maintain possession and manage to camp in the ISA half there wont be much of an issue in beating them. Every time Oak Hill kicked out of their 22, either one of the Barker back 3 would have literally ran the ball back to or beyond where the ball had been kicked from.
Will be a Good game next week against ISA The Auggies Boys just Smashed Oakhill 70/0 and were told they were not even warmed up ! Lol. Saving themselves. What I have seen, there are some Very Fast Backs in the ISA and a couple of Big Speedsters.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Will be a Good game next week against ISA The Auggies Boys just Smashed Oakhill 70/0 and were told they were not even warmed up ! Lol. Saving themselves. What I have seen, there are some Very Fast Backs in the ISA and a couple of Big Speedsters.
If they're not even warmed up at this point of the season then I doubt they will be by next week

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Probably be the loosies that decide the game!!

Status
Not open for further replies.