• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishoutofwater

Frank Row (1)
good to hear the barker back line performed well again..

Im hoping thats sarcasm because anyone at the game would be able to tell you that the backline effort of the boys in CAS 1s wasnt what was expected of them.

I think for the future games that a team with the best backs should be picked instead of "the best" combinations.

silverarrow

Frank Nicholson (4)
CAS 1 10 v CHS 1 25. A brutal game for CAS. I lost count after 7th player taken from field with Injuries.
CHS were solid at breakdown. CAS dropped plenty of ball. Dont think CAS boys gelled together as well as CHS. CHS obviously benefited from a game or two together previously.
Not sure how bad injury toll will be going forward. Next round of CAS comp will tell.
I saw a couple of knees, an ankle, sternum/stomach, concussion, shoulder/ribs.
Fingers crossed for all who were injured and hope they all get back on the paddock against GPS.
Well done to CHS. Good solid game from them. I think they might surprise others this year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Jones was in hospital most of yesterday, only a cynic would refer to it as a BS attack. The Man on the hill should find a hole in the sand if indeed he is being disparaging.

Indeed - Harry went off today grabbing at his insides.
IMG_4730.JPG

Jamo Mum

Frank Row (1)
So much talent on the field today and so many beautiful families on the sideline..... It is an amazing age group with so much talent and skill BUT more importantly so much support for each other both on and off the field!!!
It was so sad to see so many injuries, as these boys have worked so so so hard over the past 6 to 12 years!!!
Thanks for a great day and thankyou for all being so divine to me... I didn't take as many photos as usual BUT I will upload them over the next few days on "Jamo's Mums Photos on facebook"
Jamo misses you all and I am missing the rugby, so today was a great day and a well deserved win to CHS 1ST XV... BUT the beautiful CAS boys did us proud!! Cheers Cathy XXX

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Harry is a star both on and off the field, leave him alone OR sign your name and man up and admit who you are. Cheers Cathy Clark XXXX

He was in no way being critical IMO.
Just stating that he looked in discomfort as he came off.
Which supported the view that Harry was very unwell prior to playing.

topcat

Frank Row (1)
CAS IIs 33 defeated CHS IIs 26
Firstly what a great game of rugby and all players involved should be congratulated. Both teams very committed with a desire to score points with no penalty shots at goal taken.
The CHS team clearly had a size advantage and came out trying to dominate. First couple of scrums were in CHS favour, however to the CAS boys they seemd to adjust and repel the initial onslaught.
The CAS forwards absorbed the initial onslaught with some gutsy defence across the park keeping the CHS at bay and then started to apply pressure in attack.
The lead changed many times with great tries scored by both sides with CAS behind with 10 minutes to go but coming over the top with two late tries.

All the CAS boys played well - cannot underestimate the defensive effort, however the stand-outs for me were #9 Wicker, #10 O'Donnell and #15 Barkley-Brown. This is not to underestimate the forwards effort as they were all tireless winning good ball from set piece and competing hard at the breakdown.
Barkley-Brown was amazing in attack despite his size - beating the first tackle and some every time and unfortunate to see him leave the field late in the game with a hamstring I think.
O'Donnell controlled the game well with some good passing as well as running to the line and scored a great try.
Best player for me was Wicker. Passing was crisp and hit the spot every time, made some great breaks around the base but his defence was gutsy. He moved to fullback for the last 15 minutes and made a sensational try saver on the CHS winger grabbing one leg which proved to be a match winner. My view is he should definitely be a consideration for CAS 1's - very impressive.
As stated above, with only one training it seemed to take the CAS a little while to get the combinations but the improvement in all areas - especially the scum was evident.

The game was video'd I believe and possibly post GPS game it will be possible to post the link as it was one of the best games of schoolboy rugby I have seen for a while.

Blackdog

Bob McCowan (2)
Any detailed reports on the 1's? I gather O'Donnell put his best forward in his challenge to Smerdon - what about the other contentious selection on this forum - Paek v Ellwood-Hall?

topcat

Frank Row (1)
CAS 1sts 10 loss to CHS 1sts 25
A very physical with CHS forwards averaging more than 5kg per man and clear intention to be physical at the breakdown.
Early penalty goal to CAS was the only time they led in the match. Harrison Williams #4 was first to leave field after 10 minutes with injured shoulder and led to a procession of replacements during the course of the match (#8, #2, #5, #15).
For the most part it was an even contest, however a period early in the second half highlighted that CAS had run out of steam as they failed to get across the advantage line and clear the aggression in defence and at the breakdown of the CHS forwards was paying dividends.
Hence not much "front foot" ball for the CAS backs - seemed to be going backwards and service from the halfback was constantly interrupted.
Not Harry Jones' best day at fullback - failed to find touch with first penalty kick and seemed to make alot of mistakes highlighted by not wanting to commit on the loose ball. Not surprising if he was carrying an injury.
Best forward for mine was Satui who carried the ball forward and scrummaged well. All the forwards tried hard including the replacements but size and aggression of the CHS pack meant that they won the day.
Best back was #14 Ellwood-Hall who always looked dangerous with the ball in hand and was strong in defence. CHS scored a couple of great individual tries on the other wing including a very clever kick and regather.
CAS backs seemed to lack structure and tended to run across field. Probably due to lack of penetration up the middle and also not getting ball on front foot.
I would definitely consider giving Brent Whicker and Ben O'Donnell an opportunity at 9 and 10 given their performance in the 2nds, even if against lesser opposition.
Outside of that, will need to see who is fit to play.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
well said "Jamo Mum"

Yeah, terrific great job.
Sign on make 1/2 dozen posts, then make demands on how the joint should operate.
The mods do a good job here, they don't need some Johnny come lately telling them what the required behavior is.
Had you even read other threads than this(and I see this is the only thread you post in) you would have noticed quite a few posters banned and comments deleted in the last week.

Insight

Stan Wickham (3)
Feedback from my observations on C.A.S games yesterday
From past history C.H.S always deliver a strong motivated group of boys who normally do not have the fitness for the full 70 min. C.H.S seconds fell into this category which gave our boys the opportunity to get back into the game. In my opinion Brent Winkler had an outstanding game at 9.
Ben O’Donnell played well but had a lot more time with the pressure dropping due to fitness from his opponents, a little disappointed with the amount of ball he received in second half, not going past 12 more than once.
Congratulations to the C.A.S forwards who played a much bigger opponents, in the end they got the upper hand as the game progressed with their fitness prevailing they gave it everything they had, you noticed this when they replaced injured players on the C.A.S 1 side, they had very little left in the tank when coming on to the field.
As mentioned before the C.A.S 1 side lacked unity among the forwards, commitment at the breakdowns was slow and injuries did not help, the C.H.S side dominated upfront with additional strong runs at the centers who spent a lot of time defending with little or no help from the loose forwards. The number 9 Stephen Kirkby had a lot of pressure throughout the entire game, the little ball he did receive was always on the back foot with no platform to shield him from his opponents I doubt that Brett Winkler would have done any better under the same circumstances.
This pressure flowed down the entire backline with David Smerdon getting slow ball which upset the timing of the entire black line, this was evident with the one run from Stoltz who had to break in stride to receive the ball which should have been a try under normal circumstances, was also evident with the amount of hits he received once passing the ball to his outside backs which always made many meters but were unable to finish it off due to poor timing of the ball and choices. I counted three tries that should have been scored.
C.H.S players that have impressed me number 1, 4, 5, 7, 8 they played at the tremendous pace throughout the entire game
C.A.S 14 Eddie had an excellent game with the little ball he got, 12 Stoltz, defense was solid with quick hands to get the ball out wide, 5 Leon excellent first half, 13 Connor looked dangerous on a few occasions.

Congratulations to all the boys, I hope the injuries are not too serious and that you all bounce back with a better appreciation of what it takes at the next level.

silverarrow

Frank Nicholson (4)
As mentioned before the C.A.S 1 side lacked unity among the forwards, commitment at the breakdowns was slow and injuries did not help,

Congratulations to all the boys, I hope the injuries are not too serious and that you all bounce back with a better appreciation of what it takes at the next level.

"Injuries did not help" - surely the understatement of the year? I counted 7 injuries but believe it was more. Most were in the forwards and in first half with exception of 15. There goes your cohesion. Bloody hard for any team to lose that many and do as well as they did.

Agree re congratulations and injuries not being too serious, though not sure about "bouncing back with a better appreciation....". Injuries I saw yesterday were hardly anything to do with a lack of appreciation. All of the boys selected have proven themselves ready for this level. Many of those injured have proven themselves at higher levels. Simply unfortunate in my opinion.

Understand 2 (Koutsoukis - ankle) and 8 (Powter - ribs) likely to make it back - may even be right for next weeks CAS game ?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The CHS forwards did a job on the CAS pack yesterday.They dominated from the outset,before any injuries were sustained.
Credit to the CAS boys, they stuck on well.It could have been a big score if they didn't stay on task.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
I only think they put vevers at 12 because there is no other spot for him in the team I might be wrong but I can't think of anything otherwise.
Rory Vevers is not a 12 but can run good lines.
What happened to Summerhayes for the CAS teams? Is he injured?

Rugby Fanatic

Bob McCowan (2)
Yeah, terrific great job.
Sign on make 1/2 dozen posts, then make demands on how the joint should operate.
The mods do a good job here, they don't need some Johnny come lately telling them what the required behavior is.
Had you even read other threads than this(and I see this is the only thread you post in) you would have noticed quite a few posters banned and comments deleted in the last week.

I am sure the mods do a good job here, and yes i am new to the forum thank you for making me feel so welcome. Not entirely sure what a thread is, but im passionate about rugby and enjoy supporting the school boys. What would a team or forum be without new blood.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Oom Lee. Your Match report did not disappoint and was to your usual high standard.

Good things always take time to produce, and it was worth the wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.