• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Insight

Stan Wickham (3)
League! that would really surprise me as I'm pretty sure he's south African.
Small country towns same boys play both' info on google he played 10 for ACT under 14 and ACT schools under 15, as Tumut is under that region also was is the Gordon under 16 side at 10 that won NSW state champs in 2011

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Although I'm modest to a fault, is now the time to look back on my preseason forecast? I predicted that Barker would win, with Knox second, followed by Waverley, Trinity, Cranbrook and St Aloysius. So I overesimated Knox (based on good early season form and an especially convincing win over St Patricks) but got everyone else in the right order. Not too shabby.

What the competition now needs is an upset. Although I've retired from tipping, there hasn't really been a surprise all season. The run home will be interesting though - Waverley needs to win all of its games to stave off another Barker premiership, and keep its for-and-against healthy into the bargain. There could be a few blowouts as teams get hit by injuries. But the return Barker/Waverley game should be fantastic. There's life in this season yet.

Insight

Stan Wickham (3)
That 1s team is very controversial. how goodearl (A) wasn't there is beyond me. I saw him play trinity v aloys and he was a standout. definitely the best centre I've seen this season
I have to agree with you I think he has had a good year but he will still do well

Robert Lowell

Bob McCowan (2)
Dear 'Robert Lowell' if that is your real name,

In my many years of watching CAS rugby, I have seen few players play for their school's first XV side for 3 years in a row. Stoltz came into 10 for Barker in 2011, looking a little more like a prop. Although he played only half the season (through injury, and several games played in the 16As), his knowledge of the game, his skill level and his commitment and passion were evident. In 2012, he moved to inside center to accomodate Smerdon coming into the 10 jersey. He had a solid season, in a backline that converted well worked, but essentially, forwards tries. His leadership within the team was something I noticed. But what I also noticed was some serious passion and hard training. He looked trimmer, faster and fitter then his front row days in year 10. Rumour has it he trained with one of the 16As (2012 - cannot recall his name) players who dominated due to his exceptional fitness levels (I heard this player was looking like one of Barker's dominant forwards in 2013, but had a substantial injury). The result in 2013 is a fast, fit, physically dominant inside center. He obviously has had enough passion to:
a) switch to an unfamiliar position
b) work hard at his fitness and conditioning
c) continue to lead his team passionately.

In case you can't tell, I took particular interest in the young man when he joined the CAS competition, as I have relatives living in Tumut, where Stoltz lives.

Dear 'Sadler', if that even is your true name,

I refer you to my previous reply:

I do stand corrected. I may have a little school bias (not being from Barker). Perhaps comparing schoolboy rugby passion to that of the greats, say Woodrow Wilson for instance, is a little bit of an over extension. I agree that Stoltz is a phenomenal player
I'll properly gauge his passion at the upcoming CHS match
I also agree with you, 'Sadler', on Stoltz's inter-season transformation. I noticed in round 1 v Knox. Your very knowledgeable on this topic and I was simply stating what I felt from the few Barker games I have seen.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Stop sayin Stoltz "used be out of shape" it's in the past, just call him fat.

But yes totally agree with that and the captain was well picked and should not be changed in my opinion. Whether he was a Fat League boy or not. Stoltz is a very very good player an leader.

Is GPS clash on the 18th - and where will it be?

Sadler

Stan Wickham (3)
Stop sayin Stoltz "used be out of shape" it's in the past, just call him fat.

But yes totally agree with that and the captain was well picked and should not be changed in my opinion. Whether he was a Fat League boy or not. Stoltz is a very very good player an leader.

Is GPS clash on the 18th - and where will it be?

I think your 'fat' comment may be a bit much. Anyway your opinion is your own.

Has a captain for the CHS fixture been decided yet?

I believe it is at Knox, a fantastic venue for a (hopefully) fantastic match-up.

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
not sure about captain for CAS teams at all. I was saying Stoltzs captaincy for barker was well picked.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he carried it for CHS aswell

Reactions: YR!

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
Re Trinity vs Barker, my thoughts are that the Trinity fowards were better than the Barker forwards but the Barker backs were significantly better than the Trinity backs.

The Trinity backs hardly received any clean ball, with passes from the 10 often hitting the dirt first. It must have been disheartening for the forwards to get up from the ruck to see that they had lost 15 to 20 metres each time the ball was released to the backs.

The Trinity 15 had a solid game despite his physical size. Kotobalavu was wasted on the right wing. Whenever he received the ball, he made ground.

First game I've seen the much talked about Barker backs. Size all around and very impressive with their speed and skill.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks guys for chipping in for a CAS match report blog - especially Elfster and Snort - and silverarrow for doing a brief "match report on the run run" piece.

It turned out quite well and we should have a CAS report every week.

Even if nobody has the time or the analytical mind of Elfster and Snort for a full match report, we can always cobble together a blog with three brief "match reports on the run" on one page in it.

Let's keep it going when it starts up again in a couple of weeks' time.

Cheers
LG

C.A.S rugby observer

Bob McCowan (2)
I think Van der Zyl (K) will be selected if this is true. He has good size and is a damaging ball runner. I also think Nick Makas (C) would be a suitable replacement, he is a workhorse and an excellent defender.
Yes I couldn't agree more about van der zyl he is a big lad. I definitely wouldn't want to be standing in front of him when he is running it at full pace. I wouldn't be able to say much about makas as I haven't seen him play this year. So I would probably go with van der zyl with his powerful running and strong defence or I would go with o Connors team mate stevens (don't know his first name) as he is great in the break down with his performance on the weekend against allos getting more turn overs then I can't count on my own two hands. And with that said I think a cas team needs a flanker who can force turnovers at the break down to give our brilliant backs more ball and maybe be able to knock off GPS for the first time since if I'm correct 2010

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
If Vevers was concussed last Saturday, he should not be within miles of a Rugby field this week. Haven't people learned anything?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The website says that Vevers and Goodearl are out of CAS 2s and Newby and Dove are in. Van Zyl (No8) is on the bench, but still no room for Ebeling.

Sports fan

Frank Row (1)
Re Trinity vs Barker, my thoughts are that the Trinity fowards were better than the Barker forwards but the Barker backs were significantly better than the Trinity backs.

The Trinity backs hardly received any clean ball, with passes from the 10 often hitting the dirt first. It must have been disheartening for the forwards to get up from the ruck to see that they had lost 15 to 20 metres each time the ball was released to the backs.

The Trinity 15 had a solid game despite his physical size. Kotobalavu was wasted on the right wing. Whenever he received the ball, he made ground.

First game I've seen the much talked about Barker backs. Size all around and very impressive with their speed and skill.

I think you ment the passes from the 9 went to dirt, and yes kotobalavu is wasted there, but just wished he would just run instead trying to bunt players off......barker just too good.

YR!

Peter Burge (5)
I do stand corrected. I may have a little school bias (not being from Barker). Perhaps comparing schoolboy rugby passion to that of the greats, say Woodrow Wilson for instance, is a little bit of an over extension. I agree that Stoltz is a phenomenal player.

I'll properly gauge his passion at the upcoming CHS match

I'm unsure of how you could question his passion as a spectator. As Sadler gave us insight to, he obviously works bloody hard, seen this year through being trimmer and fitter. I have no doubt he will prove you wrong.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'm unsure of how you could question his passion as a spectator. As Sadler gave us insight to, he obviously works bloody hard, seen this year through being trimmer and fitter. I have no doubt he will prove you wrong.
The side ended up very different to how you originally predicted YR!... any insights into why this might be?

Also, was there any footage of the trinity v barker game? I have noticed that there is a professional film company posting trinity's games on youtube yet nothing has been posted of their most recent encounter

Barker

Bob McCowan (2)
Really wish there would be more online footage of the Barker games. Most other schools seem to have game highlights etc and it seems somewhat of a shame that perhaps the best and most talked about team in the competition has no real footage to watch...

alpha

Peter Burge (5)
Interesting to compare the table after 5 games this year against last year. Overall 741 points scored this year versus 661 last year, an increase of 80 points. Waverley points for and Barker points against are almost identical from a year ago. Trinity for and against almost identical.

2013:
PosTeam Pts P W D L F A +/-
1 Barker College 10 5 5 0 0 193 57 136
2 Waverley College 8 5 4 0 1 167 80 87
3 Trinity Grammar 4 5 2 0 3 126 135 -9
4 Knox Grammar 4 5 2 0 3 90 124 -34
5 Cranbrook School 2 5 1 0 4 74 123 -49
6 St Aloysius' College 2 5 1 0 4 91 222 -131

Pos Team P W D L F A Pts +/-
1 Barker College 5 5 0 0 116 58 10 58
2 Waverley College 5 3 0 2 165 97 6 68
3 Trinity Grammar 5 3 0 2 130 131 6 -1