• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alpha

Peter Burge (5)
Half-way point in the season - hopefully injuries in rep games do not have too much of an impact. (Last year Barker lost Edney for the season.) Could be that Round 8, 28 July Barker v Waverley at Queens Park is for a share of the championship; which could leave Barker needing to beat Knox in the final match to ensure a share of the title, a match they lost last year. Certainly not over.

A few interesting stats:
Only Barker and Waverley have a positive points differential, +136 & +87 respectively. Waverley points for is only 26 behind Barker. Aloys have leaked 222 points. Smerdon (B10) has scored 7 tries and O’Donnell (W10) 4 tries. Barker back 3 have 15 tries between them.

silverarrow

Frank Nicholson (4)
Half-way point in the season - hopefully injuries in rep games do not have too much of an impact. (Last year Barker lost Edney for the season.) Could be that Round 8, 28 July Barker v Waverley at Queens Park is for a share of the championship; which could leave Barker needing to beat Knox in the final match to ensure a share of the title, a match they lost last year. Certainly not over.

A few interesting stats:
Only Barker and Waverley have a positive points differential, +136 & +87 respectively. Waverley points for is only 26 behind Barker. Aloys have leaked 222 points. Smerdon (B10) has scored 7 tries and O’Donnell (W10) 4 tries. Barker back 3 have 15 tries between them.

and by my Calcs: Tom Duffy (W14) is leading Points scorer on 58 fol by Jones (B15) on 56 and Smerdon (B10) on 42. Assuming scores on CAS website correct.

alpha

Peter Burge (5)
and by my Calcs: Tom Duffy (W14) is leading Points scorer on 58 fol by Jones (B15) on 56 and Smerdon (B10) on 42. Assuming scores on CAS website correct.

Yeah, CAS web site is a bit of a caveat; Barker score against Aloys is missing one try scorer, not sure who it was.

Very impressed by Duffy's goal kicking - great accuracy and very long range.

Someone was asking about the video - i saw a group called Virtual Performance Analysis, not sure if they are at every game

Eshayz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yeh I saw a Virtual Performance Analysis tent at barker when I was there. but it wasnt at trinity on Saturday. maybe it's just a barker thing?

Fred87

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yeh I saw a Virtual Performance Analysis tent at barker when I was there. but it wasnt at trinity on Saturday. maybe it's just a barker thing?

I saw them at Trinity - set up their tent between the players benches and blocked the view for the crowd!!

Trinity4Lyfe

Bob McCowan (2)
Thought this was interesting - physically it will be interesting to see what kind of player the 12 is from GPS - Vevers is known more for his running game so I thought he 13/15 or at worse 11/14 (which he played last year on occasion) might have suited the team better. If the GPS 12 is one of those physically present - break the line - type of 12s it could be a severe tactical error

Vevers in defense at 12 shouldn't be that much of a problem as he doesn't struggle with one on one defense playing 15 for aloys. Attack on the other hand might struggle as Vevers is one of the better open field runners i've seen. You can't play him at 13 as Goodearl definitely earned that position so he might get a run later in the game at 15. Im guessing the selectors were interested to see his combination with Goodearl both being from aloys

CAS Footy

Peter Burge (5)
Also hearing that Goodearl might be injured for this thursday's game, could anyone confirm whether this is true?

Robert Lowell

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree with the excitement to see Akopian selected for CAS I's, I think he is under appreciated by coaches within the school and definitely deserved his selection. However I couldn't disagree more with your opinion on Stoltz. Captain of (by far) the in form team of the season. He is leading a group that look as though they cannot be beaten, a player like that definitely has passion. He is an incredibly hard working player that loves his rugby. I believe he's a boarder at the school so I'm sure dedicates a lot of time after hours to rugby, and he earns the results he gets. Great player, great asset to the CAS I's.

I do stand corrected. I may have a little school bias (not being from Barker). Perhaps comparing schoolboy rugby passion to that of the greats, say Woodrow Wilson for instance, is a little bit of an over extension. I agree that Stoltz is a phenomenal player.

I'll properly gauge his passion at the upcoming CHS match

Trinity4Lyfe

Bob McCowan (2)
Also hearing that Goodearl might be injured for this thursday's game, could anyone confirm whether this is true?

Yes, im pretty sure he is. he popped his shoulder a couple a weeks ago however im not sure when he'll return. Vevers also suffered a concussion against waverley so he needs clearance from a GP to play on thursday (also not a definite)

Sadler

Stan Wickham (3)
Very happy to see Akopian (B) coming in to the second row for CAS I's. He is a workhorse in every aspect of his game, a merciless tackler and a fantastic component to the line out. My only issue concerning the controversial backline is actually with the selection of D Stoltz. I concede that he is an experienced and skillful player, but the young man lacks passion. I was looking forward to the passionate rugby of Goodearl or Vevers at 12. I guess CAS selectors are less concerned with this sort of thing.

Dear 'Robert Lowell' if that is your real name,

In my many years of watching CAS rugby, I have seen few players play for their school's first XV side for 3 years in a row. Stoltz came into 10 for Barker in 2011, looking a little more like a prop. Although he played only half the season (through injury, and several games played in the 16As), his knowledge of the game, his skill level and his commitment and passion were evident. In 2012, he moved to inside center to accomodate Smerdon coming into the 10 jersey. He had a solid season, in a backline that converted well worked, but essentially, forwards tries. His leadership within the team was something I noticed. But what I also noticed was some serious passion and hard training. He looked trimmer, faster and fitter then his front row days in year 10. Rumour has it he trained with one of the 16As (2012 - cannot recall his name) players who dominated due to his exceptional fitness levels (I heard this player was looking like one of Barker's dominant forwards in 2013, but had a substantial injury). The result in 2013 is a fast, fit, physically dominant inside center. He obviously has had enough passion to:
a) switch to an unfamiliar position
b) work hard at his fitness and conditioning
c) continue to lead his team passionately.

In case you can't tell, I took particular interest in the young man when he joined the CAS competition, as I have relatives living in Tumut, where Stoltz lives.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Dear 'Robert Lowell' if that is your real name,

In my many years of watching CAS rugby, I have seen few players play for their school's first XV side for 3 years in a row. Stoltz came into 10 for Barker in 2011, looking a little more like a prop. Although he played only half the season (through injury, and several games played in the 16As), his knowledge of the game, his skill level and his commitment and passion were evident. In 2012, he moved to inside center to accomodate Smerdon coming into the 10 jersey. He had a solid season, in a backline that converted well worked, but essentially, forwards tries. His leadership within the team was something I noticed. But what I also noticed was some serious passion and hard training. He looked trimmer, faster and fitter then his front row days in year 10. Rumour has it he trained with one of the 16As (2012 - cannot recall his name) players who dominated due to his exceptional fitness levels (I heard this player was looking like one of Barker's dominant forwards in 2013, but had a substantial injury). The result in 2013 is a fast, fit, physically dominant inside center. He obviously has had enough passion to:
a) switch to an unfamiliar position
b) work hard at his fitness and conditioning
c) continue to lead his team passionately.

In case you can't tell, I took particular interest in the young man when he joined the CAS competition, as I have relatives living in Tumut, where Stoltz lives.

Did stoltz really play in the front row before playing at 10 in 2011?? I was not aware of this... My respect for the kid has sky rocketed (it was already high)

Sadler

Stan Wickham (3)
Did stoltz really play in the front row before playing at 10 in 2011?? I was not aware of this. My respect for the kid has sky rocketed (it was already high)
He never played prop as such, but if you can recall, his body shape now is much trimmer and fitter then it was in 2011. I was trying to say he did not look like a back, but now, through his hard work, has changed that!
Sorry for the confusion rtd32.
But I cannot account for Stoltz and what position he used to play, although I have heard he did play League for a few years.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
He never played prop as such, but if you can recall, his body shape now is much trimmer and fitter then it was in 2011. I was trying to say he did not look like a back, but now, through his hard work, has changed that!
But I cannot account for Stoltz and what position he used to play, although I have heard he did play League for a few years.
Hahahahahaha my apologies for the mixup... I'd have to agree with you in saying he was certainly out of shape and his pace (or lack there of) has always been a major downfall in his game... But yes, I heard that he had put a tremendous amount of effort into fixing that in both the 2012 and 2013 off season

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anyone know who the mob are that are recording the games? They look like some sports science/ analysis group.
Already answered, but if you haven't already google virtual performance analysis and you will get all the details. It looks as if you subscribe and then get a password. It may be something the coaches or CAS rugby departments have organised

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
League! that would really surprise me as I'm pretty sure he's south African.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Don't know how I missed it, but there's a reserve for CAS 2s from Knox with the spectacular name of Phoenix Goodman! I hope his career flourishes - the world needs more Rugby-playing Phoenixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.