• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2013

Who will be the 2013 Premiers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Happy to agree with your comments on Barker's dominance in 2013. Knox's program was never going to turn around in one year and acknowledge fitness needs to be better. Knox fielded 5 x Y11's and 1 x Y10 today together with 3 x Y11s injured who were all regulars at beginning of season. That's nine starters in 2014 with experience. Are you able to confirm Barker's returning numbers? I know of 4,6,9 and 10.

The Knox fitness does seem an issue. I had observed earlier that from one of their programs that their injury rate in the opens is over 20%. I don't think their fitness issue can be solely slated to their rugby program.

Fitness is something that needs work and dedication by the individual. It can also be unpleasant and requires effort with out easy gain. I presume they still have a PE program up at Knox???

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
if your going to contribute to this site please try and be honest
I presume this is your clumsy attempt to critiscise the referee, not surprising going by previous posts from you.
The penalty count was 11-3 to Waverley according to the count I kept.
Or are you suggesting that the other stats are incorrect ?
Irrespective of the accuracy of my count , if you are going to hide behind the anonymity of this web site to call me dishonest,
I invite you to get in contact with me . I will be happy to meet you & you can tell me your opinion of me to my face.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Obviously a Trinity supporter. Trinity got away with murder at the breakdown.
Congratulations to Trinity they were stronger than Waverley today, to little too late! What went on for the rest of their season?
Obviously a Waverley supporter.
I don't agree that Trinity got away with " murder " at the breakdown , in fact Trinity turned over a lot of ball in this phase of the game , & I felt Waverley
were the better team in this respect.
Most of the penalty count , which was in favor of Waverley , occurred in the rucks.

barkercas

Frank Nicholson (4)
I invite you to get in contact with me . I will be happy to meet you & you can tell me your opinion of me to my face.
Interesting way to handle the comment... But my opinion before was nothing to do with the penalties, I was concerned with your comment regarding the Waverley coaches, I may have misunderstood your point but I originally read it as a sly attack on them and as one is good friend of mine I naturally reacted, my bad.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting way to handle the comment. But my opinion before was nothing to do with the penalties, I was concerned with your comment regarding the Waverley coaches, I may have misunderstood your point but I originally read it as a sly attack on them and as one is good friend of mine I naturally reacted, my bad.

After a Trinity try in the second half the referee called time off and walked to the sideline where he spoke to the Waverley coaches for about a minute. I was too far away to hear what was said. I assume it had nothing to do with play on the field as in those circumstances the ref would speak to the captain. That leaves two realistic possibilities - either that there was some confusion over the use of replacements or that the referee took objection to something he heard coming from that direction. This is not an attack on anyone, just an accurate report of an unusual event.

Old schooled

Frank Nicholson (4)
Obviously a Waverley supporter.
I don't agree that Trinity got away with " murder " at the breakdown , in fact Trinity turned over a lot of ball in this phase of the game , & I felt Waverley
were the better team in this respect.
Most of the penalty count , which was in favor of Waverley , occurred in the rucks.
Trinity's release of tackled player and rolling away was creative. A number of penalties should have been awarded at critical times. Sure the video will show.
As previously stated Trinity were better team overall yesterday, that is why they
won.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity's release of tackled player and rolling away was creative. A number of penalties should have been awarded at critical times. Sure the video will show.
As previously stated Trinity were better team overall yesterday, that is why they
won.

I thought the referee did a reasonable job at the breakdown and that most of Trinity's very strong counter-rucking was perfectly fair. If you do watch the video, keep an eye out for my favourite moment in the game, in the second half, when one Waverley forward attempted a massive cleanout which resulted in both him and one of his team-mates being launched into the air. I thought the idea was to clean out the opposition, but it was certainly spectacular.

abe01

Frank Nicholson (4)
What were the final positions for the season? My first year of watching cas rugby and was impressed with the standard of play and the people I met, good luck to everyone for next year can't wait!!

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
For anyone who's interested, the Barker seconds also secured their cas premiership on Saturday after getting up over Knox. A bit of a dodgy call after a blatant shepherd saw the barker boys pull out of reach. However, to be fair, they did come home strong scoring again before the final whistle. To be honest I'm not certain of the final score

topcat

Frank Row (1)
Cranbrook 6 defeated St Aloysius 5
Close and contested game. Alloys dominated the first 15 minutes, controlling possession well, but strong defence from Cranbrook held them out.
Too many mistakes and turnovers by both teams made it a stop / start affair.
Cranbrook dominated the last 15 minutes, kicking a penalty goal with 5 mins to go. Cranbrook line out dominated and proved the difference at the end of the game.
Cranbrook 2nds won 22-15.
Cranbrook 16As won and took out the CAS for second year running.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Anybody want to do some kind of report of Barker v Knox?

And something more comprehensive on Cranbrook/Aloys.

sammyburgess

Stan Wickham (3)
Regarding the Waverley v Trinity game.. From my view, the game was refereed extremely poorly and not only in favour of trinity at all times... waverley got away with a few penalties occasionally but for the most part, trinity benefitted. This is not to say that the referee was bias, for all we know, he could've been in a position where it wasn't clear that an infringement was made but i did notice a few instances where he had his whistle to his mouth and was about to blow it and then withdrew it.

Although the refereeing was not up to standard, waverley did not lose this game due to the refereeing. the waves defence was not as good as it had been throughout the season and they had more than enough chances to put points on the board however they couldn't finish it off. Well done to trinity, they had a strong game and were deserving of the win.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
For anyone who's interested, the Barker seconds also secured their cas premiership on Saturday after getting up over Knox. A bit of a dodgy call after a blatant shepherd saw the barker boys pull out of reach. However, to be fair, they did come home strong scoring again before the final whistle. To be honest I'm not certain of the final score

I think Knox scored last?? 20 - 14. One of the barker tries did look like it was out of the play book of a grid-iron side, but you are right, Barker were the better side on the day. Their forwards were most impressive and I think they won the game there. The Knox backs a bit better than their opponents. I think quite a few of the 2nds backs will be in the Knox 1sts next year.

In both the 1sts and 2nds, the defence of Barker was a standout. The cliche defence wins games comes to mind.

silverarrow

Frank Nicholson (4)
Congratulations to Barker on taking the Shield. Well done.

Nice wrap up by Snort of the Trinity v Waverley game. You were right, it did matter to the Waverley boys. I think when you add it to being the last 1st XV game for the Yr12 boys that made it a double blow (1. Last game loss, 2. No chance of Co Premiers). For mine Trinity won the game in the first half - through their forwards. In the end it was a bridge too far for the boys from Death Valley. I know its hard this close to the loss but they should be very proud of coming a strong second to a very good Barker team, and for being the only other team to beat them (or come within cooee of them for that matter).

So to the CAS ladder(from CAS.nsw.edu.au web site)
CAS Henry Plume Shield – 2013

PosTeamPtsPWDLFA+/-
1 Barker College 18 10 9 0 1 382 140 242
2 Waverley College 14 10 7 0 3 301 187 114
3 Trinity Grammar 10 10 5 0 5 226 251 -25
4 Knox Grammar 10 10 5 0 5 215 246 -31
5 Cranbrook School 4 10 2 0 8 128 239 -111
6 St Aloysius' College 4 10 2 0 8 172 361 -189

Openside

Stan Wickham (3)
Great report Snort. The "Hold Hold" chant you mention, I guess it does seem silly but ive been told it actually is a habit developed from training, all the open teams are trained that way in fitness etc they will call when to run as a group or to execute plays so it kinda has seeped into gameplay. Ive been told they do it because they believe it lifts each other when physically tired or when the games result seems bleak. Waverley being Waverley is enough, the double-V is scary enough as it is.

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
Congratulations to Barker for their win on Saturday, and retaining the CAS outright championship for a consecutive year.
Congratulations to both the Knox and Barker supporters, they absolutely made the day with positive and continual barracking!
My guess would be that there was at least 3000-3500 at the ground and that made it a big game for both teams. The Ref also allowed the game to flow and added to the big match feeling. A great display of schoolboy rugby.

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
Season over?
CAS Rugby supporters don't despair!
We still have four boys who will do us proud in the upcoming Australia and Australia A Schoolboy test matches.
Koutsoukis (W)
Davis(B)
Jones(B) &
Satui(T)

Put these dates in your diary, Tue Oct 1st & Sat. Oct 5th.
Tue.1st @ 3.00pm Aust A vs NZ, & 5.00pm Aust vs Fiji
Sat.5th @ 3.00pm Aust A vs Fiji, & 5.00pm Aust vs NZ

and to top-off two great days, the games are being played at Knox college, one of the better spectator grounds!!

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Waverley being Waverley is enough, the double-V is scary enough as it is.

It's true that there are no easy wins over Waverley. I had a feeling that Waverley's Rugby had dropped its standards a little in recent times, but the truth is that it has won three premierships in the last ten years, and probably finished second another three or four times - so not too shabby. And Queen's Park remains, I think, the toughest venue for any visiting team.

Status
Not open for further replies.