• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
I thought Danton was Aloy's best player last round. He went off with what looked like a possible concussion towards the end, but won plenty of ball against a bigger pack and had a great work rate.

The Oracle

Stan Wickham (3)
CAS 1sts
1 McLennan T
2 Widders Leece K
4 Summerhayes C
5 Burkett B
6 Corias T
7 Van Zyl K
8 Makkas C
9 Kirkby B
10 Smerdon B
11 Renton C
12 Fish T
13 Watson K
14 Vievers A
15 Barkley Brown T

I have watched this age group for a while now and most of these boys played U16s. Can't split the props for the other spot and Peirce from Knox deserves a look in? Hard to leave any of those back rowers out and haven't seen a dominant lock like Williams was for Aloys last year so....that is my two cents. Mix and match the back five to suit.

Lemons

Bob McCowan (2)
CAS 1sts
1 McLennan T
2 Widders Leece K
4 Summerhayes C
5 Burkett B
6 Corias T
7 Van Zyl K
8 Makkas C
9 Kirkby B
10 Smerdon B
11 Renton C
12 Fish T
13 Watson K
14 Vievers A
15 Barkley Brown T

I have watched this age group for a while now and most of these boys played U16s. Can't split the props for the other spot and Peirce from Knox deserves a look in? Hard to leave any of those back rowers out and haven't seen a dominant lock like Williams was for Aloys last year so..that is my two cents. Mix and match the back five to suit.

Why don't we just select the entire Knox 1st XV as the CAS side, feel it would be a better fit in terms of combinations with other standouts as reservds.

Mactruck

Bob McCowan (2)
Why don't we just select the entire Knox 1st XV as the CAS side, feel it would be a better fit in terms of combinations with other standouts as reservds.

I agree! Hard pressed to find any strong replacements to the knox starting lineup, potentially remove Carter Nicholas showed poor form early on in the season. However this is only in contrast to the talent of the Knox backline.

Lemons

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree! Hard pressed to find any strong replacements to the knox starting lineup, potentially remove Carter Nicholas showed poor form early on in the season. However this is only in contrast to the talent of the Knox backline.

Mactruck are your views biased by being a knox parent?

Lemons

Bob McCowan (2)
Possible South harbour team
1. Micallef (W)
4. Matters (C)
5. Rasch (T)
6. Wayland (T)
7. Molloy (W)
8. Spira (C)
9. ?
10. Bailey (W)
11. Stewart (C)
12. Lognville (t)
13. Yoannidis (W)
14. Morris (T)
15. Busteed (C)

Thats a pretty strong and aggresive team right there. Some definent size in the back row. Its shaping up to be a good fixture. Fill in the blanks.

Surely you understand North-Harbour team will annihilate South Harbour.

Lemons

Bob McCowan (2)
..... Excuse me? that doesn't discredit the facts that knox has one of the strongest school boy sides that I remember for a long time!

Fair point, I'm a shore old boy following this now as a sons friend now attends Knox.

Knox is a formidable force, I hear the South African born Green is possibly returning to Rugby for the second half of the season as his tennis commitments for college have been confirmed and is free to play now... any update @Mactruck?

kazoom

Frank Nicholson (4)
What's your definition of annihilate Lemons? getting a bit cocky aren't you?
Micallef from Waverley is a big boy who's just back from injury ..

kazoom

Frank Nicholson (4)
You're not biased at all are you Macktruck ! lol.
The Waverley 1sts have had some less than complimentary comments levelled at them so far and they put 31 points on Knox.

Mactruck

Bob McCowan (2)
What's your definition of annihilate Lemons? getting a bit cocky aren't you?
Micallef from Waverley is a big boy whose just back from injury ..

I think it depends whether or not watson plays for knox.

If watson plays:
- 30 point win for knox
If watson doesnt play:
- 20 point win for knox

The Knox team is simply too strong for any real competition.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
From what I hear, at Waverley, you have parents that were former State/National players offering assistance and it is knocked back

instead the "coaching gigs" go to recent young old boys, as part of what seems like a pocket money exercise

while agree "too many cooks spoil the broth" ... I think Waverley should look at more co-coaches ... having 1 coach work on the backs, and the other coach on the forwards, can work a treat

Knox seems to employ a lot more of that

so for my 2 cents, steps to improve Waves rugby:

1. start better using parents/ old boys to bolster coaching [should be no payment for these services]
2. all coaches to be required to do what I think is called foundation course and have good basics
3. put some $ into some basic equipment, scrum machine, tackle pads
4. as part of pending renovation/development create at least some level grass area, within the school campus
5. upgrade gym/weights area (which I think is happening?)
6. build way better ties with Randwick rugby ... like Scots has done with Easts
7. reconnect with the likes of Scots and Joeys, for pre-season trials
8. look at bigger picture ways of improving school wide discipline (see below)

Ironically improving Waverley rugby is not inconsistent with improving the school's academics

Discipline: I get that the school prides itself on being inclusive as opposed to exclusive, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't right a tighter ship

I know Cranbrook looks across at Waverley and thinks their model of controlling naturally rowdy boys is hopeless ... with Cranbrook their house model ensures way more accountability for poor behaviour

anyway getting away from rugby ... but really hope Waverley can continue with their proud tradition

and I would love to see Waves put a real scare into the Cranbrook team (this weekend)...

from what I saw on Saturday, Cranbrook ended their match with a few injury concerns, and they might be looking towards the Knox fixture

so hoping for an ambush at Death Valley :mad: ... I am an optimist.

Lemons

Bob McCowan (2)
You're not biased at all are you Macktruck ! lol.
The Waverley 1sts have had some less than complimentary comments levelled at them so far and they put 31 points on Knox.

Those 31 Points were on the run of the play, Knox did not play no where near their best rugby which Williams and the staff would have drilled into them... one try was a lucky chip kick and bounce which went backwards over the heads of three players...

trinitywaterboy

Frank Row (1)
Possible South harbour team
1. Micallef (W)
4. Matters (C)
5. Rasch (T)
6. Wayland (T)
7. Molloy (W)
8. Spira (C)
9. Bailey (W)
10. Lognville (t)
11. Stewart (C)
12. Quinn (C)
13. Yoannidis (W)
14. Morris (T)
15. Busteed (C)

Thats a pretty strong and aggresive team right there. Some definent size in the back row. Its shaping up to be a good fixture. Fill in the blanks.

Possibly Connolly (T) manning one of the flanks, don't be fooled by his somewhat unkempt appearance, he pilfers fiercely and dominates the ruck. Definitely one to watch in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.