• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)
Well, I doubt Cranbrook will be disappointed to have scored 81 points. I only saw the first half, and I thought the lead could have been more than 31-8 had Renton not kicked away so much possession, but when you score 81, you can be satisfied, I think.

Trinity put in a fair effort in the first half, considering how badly weakened the team was. Their best attacking work actually came from returning Renton's kicks. What was noticeable was that Trinity couldn't hold possession for more than one phase at a time, and that was largely due to excellent work from the Cranbrook back row. Cranbrook also did very well to get the ball wide to the wings, who usually had heaps of space in which to work.

Weirdly, I wouldn't write off Trinity against Barker next week. It really all depends who makes it onto the field. If they get McLennan, Corias, Barkley-Brown and Siteine back, they'll be competitive. If.

Well said Snort. The Cranbrook 1sts are a very disciplined and confident team. Their structure sees them make use of every one of their 15 players. There was a lot of kicking in the first half but it looked more like an indication of just how calculating that team play - very mature. They aren't looking to score tries - they want to win and their responses are all tactical. I've seen it twice now against Waverley last week also. They will play to their structure and when they are confident that the game is theirs then they'll play a more natural game.
Interestingly, the 2nds game was very different and I'd suggest that the only touch their wingers got in the whole game was the one time that it resulted in a try. There must be 15 boys there who are desperate to be a part of that 1sts squad.

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)
There was also a barker player cited for stomping in this game leaving a Waverley player in hospital.

Also the ideal time to talk to a red carded teenage boy is not directly after the incident has occurred but later after he has calmed down. This it probably the coaches approach?

These are not professional players they are schoolboys and for all the very positive aspects of their game there are a couple of less than perfect things that have to be managed. What I would prefer to see is real leadership from the sidelines. The game at this level cannot be only about winning, there has to be value placed on how they play the game. Toughness not thuggery but I don't expect perfection from the boys, but I do from the coaching staff and teachers especially in how they respond to what they see their players do.

The best example I saw of this was a year or two ago in a Trinity match were a forward was on a slow boil and was about to explode. One of teachers stepped in immediately and took perfect control of the situation and replaced the player. He was seen to take that action and there could be no doubt from any player on either side as to what was acceptable behaviour. The player was led off the field and was dealt with immediately - in a quiet corner but sternly. There was years of experience evident in how those few minutes played out. I am not affiliated with Trinity in any way but those who are should have been very proud. The player involved came back to the sideline and was calm and I'd suggest satisfied with how it was dealt with. His welfare and reputation were being looked after by that teacher.

I've seen other things during games that have been shameful. The boys behaviour being far from ideal but the fact that coaches and teachers did not take action was from my perspective a disgrace. That is where from where the example needs to be set.

oldboy59

Stan Wickham (3)
Waverley South Harbour – T Bailey, Z Brown, A Hassan, E Micallef, J Mohi, B O’Sullivan, L Smith, J Yoannidis

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
Cranbrook won't find anything remotely disappointing in the thumping they gave Trinity. I wrote a report for the blog here - http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/cas-round-4-two-schools-heading-for-showdown/

Yes, there was too much kicking in the first half, especially from mid-field, and they'll want to be more careful about kicking away possession to Knox next week, but they were still 31-8 up at half time and able to make strategic adjustments for the second half, in which they played lovely running rugby.

Cranbrook certainly goes into the match against Knox with a wet sail and, given how little impact Aloys and Cranbrook normally have on the CAS competition I think it adds some real excitement this year to have Cranbrook well-positioned to challenge. None of their 1st XV were born last time Cranbrook lifted the Henry Plume!

Another thing to like about Cranbrook is that they seem to have some depth. They were able to give Renton a break and bring on Tom Wilson, a strong left footed fly-half with a powerful goal kick who looks like he'd be in the 1st XV for just about any other CAS school this year. As the season progresses, having depth in key positions will likely be important at some point... just ask Trinity!

F

Fui Fui Roi Roi

I feel that Cranbrook greatly underperformed this weekend. Against a team that wouldn't have beaten Sydney Grammar's 14Bs, Cranbrook should be genuinely dissapointed in their performance. The fact that Cranbrook refused to keep possession in the first half, they need to pull their finger out if they are to give Knox a genuine run for their money. In realistic terms, Cranbrook should have been up 50 - 0 at half time, and the fact that they conceded 8 points to such an ordinary team is concerning for their teams defence. Cranbrook needed to win by at least 100, if they want to compete in the CAS

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Knox have shown great players throughout the past 50 years in their forwards but saying players such as stirzaker and carter should be in the midst of players such as Ben Alexander and Peter fitzsimons is an insult to Knox rugby. These players have no rugby prowess or skill whatsoever. I heard they are playing representative football because of their family's political status within the australian rugby community.
In saying that, props (pardon the pun) must go to Nathan Charles, he has been playing great footy with the force,who have really stepped up this year. His selection has really reflected the way the force have played this season.
Hey Dave Turner think u will find that Tom Carter played over 50 caps for the waratahs - not a bad effort, Not sure that there would be many other oldboys at knox to have done that. Stirzaker is only young.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
This weekend's Cranbrook-Knox clash at Hordern should be fantastic. Makes me think back to July 1979 - another meeting between the two schools at Rose Bay. I wasn't there - I was way out west, scraping out a two-point win over St Patrick's - but I heard the stories so many times from the Cranbrook guys I feel as though I was. It's the final game of the season. Knox are up 10-9 (one try to nil) and there's no time left on the clock. Cranbrook wins a scrum feed on the Knox 22 (as we called it back then). It's going to be the last play of the game, whatever happens, so the Cranbrook backs hold a conference. Half of them think that the field goal makes sense - the scrum's in centre field, after all. The others say, no, it's our last play of the season, let's back ourselves and run it. The five-eighth, Dave Alexander, says "OK" (this is locquacious, for him - he's a country boy who believes that words are for fancy city types), and they run it. The winger, Gott, goes over in the corner - 13-10. Bob Dickins misses the kick by a mile, and the crowd goes crazy anyway.

The crowd - yes, because I've seen the photo of them all going beserk as that last kick sails harmlessly away form the posts. There are hundreds of them there, thousands even, for a game on which nothing much turned (Knox and Cranbrook finish the season third and fifth). And that, to me, was one of the heartening things about last Saturday - it was the biggest crowd I've seen at Hordern in decades. And it will be bigger this week. Amazing what winning does.

BigKev

Stan Wickham (3)
Of recent times Aloys can boast a pretty successful team of old boys:
Bernard Foley 2007 - Waratahs/Wallabies
Pat McCabe 2005 - Brumbies/Wallabies
Tom Kingston 2009 - Rebels/Waratahs
Jono Owen 2003 - Reds/Brumbies
Dylan Goodearl/Harry Williams 2013 - Both missed out on NSW through injury, possibly more
Pat Kennedy 2011 - NSW schoolboys/Manly Sea Eagles u20s
Ben Shorter 2008 - Manly Sea Eagles u20s
Tom Morrison 2011 - NSW schoolboys
Jack Grant 2010 - Australia 7s

david turner

Bob McCowan (2)
Hey Dave Turner think u will find that Tom Carter played over 50 caps for the waratahs - not a bad effort, Not sure that there would be many other oldboys at knox to have done that. Stirzaker is only young.
Well props, at the time he was playing the waratahs squad had no depth so therefore they had to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Look at them once carter was dropped, top of the table.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well props, at the time he was playing the waratahs squad had no depth so therefore they had to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Look at them once carter was dropped, top of the table.
Yeah, good argument. I guess no other variables changed, did they? Oh, wait.........
Your comments on players who have played at high level for extended periods is churlish rubbish.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
9 Tries ... and from a hooker!

I am guessing Renton might still pip him for most points.

Would be curious to see a list, of leading try scorers for this year (2014) .... and prior years.

How many would Barker's 2013 Jones have scored?

What ever happened to that George Smith ... he was King of the Stats?!

Status
Not open for further replies.