• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Given all the discussion in the sporting scholarships thread, surely we want private schools spending money getting better coaches in to improve the school's sporting ability rather than spending money to bring in better players.

TropicalSauce

Frank Row (1)
Hi SonnyDillWilliams,
I'm very flattered to be picked in your Cranbrook XV , who is this ??
Sauce

Much harder to put together a cranbrook team , however there have been some good ins, and by and large some "good blokes"

1. John pilton (82)
2. Justin McDonald (86) . One of the best
3. John arber (86) or will Ashton (97)
4. Anthony Abrahams . Of the magnificent 7 apartheid boycotters(67)
5. Nick burnham .(89).. Nice bloke . Pick him over other blokes that rate themselves
6.john Ryan (85)
7. Dominic o'neil (95)
8. Makas (14) . Have massive wraps on this kid
9. Richard fogarty (99)
10. Mark Patterson (84)
11. Grant lodge (86)
12. Christian Warner (94?)
13. Ed Stubbs (06)
14. Ian Williams (82)
15. Daniel batman (98?) . Even if he was only there for a bit

Manager packer/gyngell . Be a good party

Coach . Marty Pitt (rip)

Actually very sad how many of the above are already rip . And 80s were definitely the glory days . Although 2014 shaping up to be maybe a new dawn ...?

S

sidelineview

Given all the discussion in the sporting scholarships thread, surely we want private schools spending money getting better coaches in to improve the school's sporting ability rather than spending money to bring in better players.

100% correct. Regardless of whether schools can afford to recruit players on scholarships or not, a good coaching program has to be in place each year starting from the 13s all the way up to the firsts.

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)
your earlier post referenced mark as being an important part of the squad, now they are predominently coached by a teacher?

Why do you find that inconsistent? He is an important part of the squad, a team of many people but there is one person in charge - the coach.
Like in any team I thought.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Are you the forum's echo!
Sorry can i not also be curious as to who the coach is as well? There is no need to be defensive, read my comments I have no issues what so ever with the setup at Cranbrook, knox etc and think it is good for the competition and game in Australia. Just outlying that some help from outside has obviously helped (would u agree with this statement) and that other schools struggling ie Wav and Aloys should follow suit

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Sorry can i not also be curious as to who the coach is as well? There is no need to be defensive, read my comments I have no issues what so ever with the setup at Cranbrook, knox etc and think it is good for the competition and game in Australia. Just outlying that some help from outside has obviously helped (would u agree with this statement) and that other schools struggling ie Wav and Aloys should follow suit
Pete
Tell the forum what you think would help Waverley and Aloys

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Pete
Tell the forum what you think would help Waverley and Aloys
To invest in their program as cranbrook, Knox and Barker have done. This doesnt just have to come down to dollars from the school, a great intiative from Barker was to start the Barker Rugby Club that raises money for the kids coaching and development. I think a teacher of the school should manager the side (first xv) aided by outside coaches helping with structure, game plan, set piece and this should flow through the school

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)

Pete - you are allowed to be curious but my hesitation, after a couple of requests, is because I am very uncomfortable naming individuals in the context of how they were being discussed.
I also enjoy your commentary and would also be keen to your thoughts on Waverley in particular.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Pete - you are allowed to be curious but my hesitation, after a couple of requests, is because I am very uncomfortable naming individuals in the context of how they were being discussed.
I also enjoy your commentary and would also be keen to your thoughts on Waverley in particular.
understandable, why particulary on Waverley?

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
To invest in their program as cranbrook, Knox and Barker have done. This doesnt just have to come down to dollars from the school, a great intiative from Barker was to start the Barker Rugby Club that raises money for the kids coaching and development. I think a teacher of the school should manager the side (first xv) aided by outside coaches helping with structure, game plan, set piece and this should flow through the school
Exactly what Cranbrook rugby club has done across all years and all grades for 5 years approx(except 1st XV coach has been and is still is a teacher always)
Outside expertise is very much part time and is used across all grades and age groups with the aim of improving standards steadily for all boys who choose rugby
Seems to be a fairer, more worthwhile and longer term approach to allocating limited redources than that which cannot be mentioned - it's certainly within the spirit of schoolboy footy!

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Exactly what Cranbrook rugby club has done across all years and all grades for 5 years approx(except 1st XV coach has been and is still is a teacher always)
Outside expertise is very much part time and is used across all grades and age groups with the aim of improving standards steadily for all boys who choose rugby
Seems to be a fairer, more worthwhile and longer term approach to allocating limited redources than that which cannot be mentioned - it's certainly within the spirit of schoolboy footy!
completely agree and the point I was trying to make

Status
Not open for further replies.