• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Another key point that Cranbrook should take into their game for this weekend is that (from what I've seen of them) Knox always seem to put on a much bigger 2nd half. Not hugely important but something they need to be weary of
I think that occurs due to Knox wearing down the opposition.
For Knox I would worry about the penchant for giving away penalties and their lapses in concentration/ application. Though I haven't seen them cranbrook looks to be a clinical side and well disciplined. They would also have a fair bit if confidence and some good momentum with their recent victories

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think that occurs due to Knox wearing down the opposition.
For Knox I would worry about the penchant for giving away penalties and their lapses in concentration/ application. Though I haven't seen them cranbrook looks to be a clinical side and well disciplined. They would also have a fair bit if confidence and some good momentum with their recent victories

Fair point but I don't think it's 100% true. The aloys boys last weekend did look to be out on their feet towards the end of the game but I don't think it had much to do with a lack of energy. It seemed that Knox came out of the sheds and just ramped it up a notch (or 5), and became a lot more physical at the breakdown as well as through their ball running up the middle. Once their forwards reach that level they're just so hard to play against because a side defending it can't help but be sucked in when trying to take down the bigger boys (who are also fast and able to offload). Then the Knox backs - who aren't too shabby either - have an easy job ahead of them when the ball comes their way (most of the time it doesn't even need to).

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
This notion about Rugby (or professional sport) being a career path and affecting the choice of school is an interesting one. Its very true that parents choose a school thinking its going to help their kid be a professional RU or RL player. But the kicker is the percentage of kids that manage to get that professional career is next to nothing.

The real reason that schools hire professional coaches is to win. The school administrators, the staff and the old boys want the school rugby team to win. This is not a criticism, but its what I experience as fact.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Even if it is a legitimate career the many players who are my personal friends complain that there friends earn more than them in corporate roles !!! They play because they love it and because they can - with only the top 10% earning big bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
This notion about Rugby (or professional sport) being a career path and affecting the choice of school is an interesting one. Its very true that parents choose a school thinking its going to help their kid be a professional RU or RL player. But the kicker is the percentage of kids that manage to get that professional career is next to nothing.

The real reason that schools hire professional coaches is to win. The school administrators, the staff and the old boys want the school rugby team to win. This is not a criticism, but its what I experience as fact.

Has it occurred to you that the answer could well be "Both of the above"?

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
Using their matches against Barker as a form guide:

Knox scored 6 tries to 1

Cranbrook 2 tries to 1 {& Smerdon(10) and Kirkby (9) were both out..}
Renton kicked 5 penalty goals & 2 conversions

B

Bigmarn

Using their matches against Barker as a form guide:

Knox scored 6 tries to 1

Cranbrook 2 tries to 1 {& Smerdon(10) and Kirkby (9) were both out..}
Renton kicked 5 penalty goals & 2 conversions

When Barker played Knox Barker had 2 forwards out plus Smerdon and Kirby injured during the game

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
When Barker played Knox Barker had 2 forwards out plus Smerdon and Kirby injured during the game

Kirkby played most of the game and Smerdon most of the first half. I'd argue the replacements for the suspended forwards did not represent a big downgrade. Agree Smerdon and Kirkby are genuine stars. The loss of Smerdon during the game did wipe out the Barker attack but Knox were already containing them very well.

Just saying Knox deserve to be favourites, but would love to see an upset!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Is anybody going to Barker v Trinity?

We may not have a writer for this game; so if you are going please write a post about the game like you are doing a mini-match report.

It could be used, with your permission, as a backpage add-on.

Thanks
LG

B

Bigmarn

Kirkby played most of the game and Smerdon most of the first half. I'd argue the replacements for the suspended forwards did not represent a big downgrade. Agree Smerdon and Kirkby are genuine stars. The loss of Smerdon during the game did wipe out the Barker attack but Knox were already containing them very well.

Just saying Knox deserve to be favourites, but would love to see an upset!!

B

Bigmarn

Take out four of the better Knox team and you may see a different game. The two forwards missing were their work horses. They would have made a huge difference , put the 2s Knox 9 and 10 in and you would more of a difference. Knox played really well and barker may not have won but they would have made a difference,

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'd argue the replacements for the suspended forwards did not represent a big downgrade.

that is a very poor argument. If you've been working your whole pre season to shape a specific side that uses certain combinations and set plays (particularly in the lineout with these 2 players) and then these players can't (for whatever reason) play in the first match, that is a MAJOR setback for the team - no matter how good the player is individually. You take any 2 of the starting players off any side coming into a match and that will significantly hurt them.

Bad boy

Frank Nicholson (4)
that is a very poor argument. If you've been working your whole pre season to shape a specific side that uses certain combinations and set plays (particularly in the lineout with these 2 players) and then these players can't (for whatever reason) play in the first match, that is a MAJOR setback for the team - no matter how good the player is individually. You take any 2 of the starting players off any side coming into a match and that will significantly hurt them.
No your statement shows you have no idea on selection or how to coach a team. Given this was the first CAS game of the season you are suggesting that coaches and selectors have already made up their mind on who is in the team and both trial form and improvement are irrelevant. This is the pet hate by all school boy rugby players that coaches have already made up their mind on who is in t he 1st team even before a ball is kicked. I certainly hope that schools with depth and tradition give each rugby player an even chance on selection

Chris Jones

Bob McCowan (2)
Any suspensions or injuries that have led to players being unavailable this round?
Believe st Aloysius is fielding an all Year 11 forward pack tomorrow bar a select few. After witnessing the Knox game, most players would be suffering a knock or two. Will be an interesting game against Waverley who also sport a younger squad than most teams. Sure to be an aggressive encounter!

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
LG I will be at the match Waverley are playing tomorrow but can't guarantee I will write the best report as I am planning to sink a few beverages before I head over to the Aloysius field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
LG I will be at the match Waverley are playing tomorrow but can't guarantee I will write the best report as I am planning to sink a few beverages before I head over to the Aloysius field

It's more the Baker v Trinity game that I'm concerned about but post something when you sober up about the W v A game anyway because sometimes a writer misses something and we steal a few details to add in.

If you are slightly hazy watching the game you will be no more confused than we sober guys are anyway.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
No your statement shows you have no idea on selection or how to coach a team. Given this was the first CAS game of the season you are suggesting that coaches and selectors have already made up their mind on who is in the team and both trial form and improvement are irrelevant. This is the pet hate by all school boy rugby players that coaches have already made up their mind on who is in t he 1st team even before a ball is kicked. I certainly hope that schools with depth and tradition give each rugby player an even chance on selection

Never in my many years of observing schoolboy rugby have I seen a winning side dramatically change its lineup over the course of the actual season except in the event of injury. The formula of selection you have suggested doesn't make sense to a side that wants to win. Schools with depth - ie Knox and Barker, generally bring their 2nds players off the bench and they usually train their 1sts and 2nds together in the pre season as I'm sure many schools do.

Most of the experimenting etc that you think is necessary in order to be 'fair' to all students happens in the pre season. Further, as I mentioned before, if any player is playing resoundingly well in 2nd grade it is likely that he will come off the bench in the 1sts at some stage - if he plays well in the 1sts then I'm sure that the coaches would consider keeping him in there, but this situation is rare. Other than this what's your point? Because mine was quite simple - 2 starting players, that had trained and played in the 1sts for most of the preseason and the weeks leading up to the 1st round, weren't allowed to play. This would have a significant impact on any side, whether it be in the set plays, in general play defensively or offensively, or for general team morale.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
30 minutes in to the first half.

Barker 7 - Trinity 13.

Barker No.6 just sin binned.

Leaving now so can't update any more

Status
Not open for further replies.