• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qsource

Frank Row (1)
Waverley vs aloys

Thought Waverley's defence is what got them over the line, they defended particularly well for long periods of time in the twenty two in the first half where aloys had large possession. Waverley's tries occurred form fairly stock standard plays, with hands getting the wingers their tries (although one of them did very well to beat the full back) and the forwards scoring from a rolling maul and (I think) a pick and drive. However simple the plays that got them the tries were, they were effective and executed clinically, however aloys could have done more to stop them. In a Waverley team with no stars I thought they played well as a team. However the Waverley players much watch their discipline they were very luck not to have a player sent off for striking in the face and the Waverley players need to not react to the crowd, being baited by the aloys old boys into swearing back at the crowd.

For the second week in a row aloys started of really well, however lost composure for costly periods of time. An improvement on defence is imperative, especially as most of Waverley tries were easily preventable, without improvement they will continue to struggle. Ultimately for aloys to get thier first win of the season they need to play with consciencty for a full 80 minutes. However there are positive to take for the game for aloys. The 12 was my player of the match shrugging of tackles and making a massive run setting up an important try. I was impressed with aloys kick chases, with the 10 kicking very well (helped by some lucky bounces). The tall second rower managed to steal the ball very effectively of the kick off and their winger made some great catches from two high balls. In the forwards the back three pilfered the ball constantly, and we're damaging on attack.

jbarnes43

Frank Row (1)
Waverley vs Aloys OPENS

Waverley looked very strong in the opens today, the 5ths with a very tight game, a few stand out players, the aloys captain and waveryley's openside flanker Jack davidson who made 2 miraculous tackles. There was a critical mistake when the winger for waverley spilt the beans resulting in the loss.

I didn't see any of the 4ths as they were playing at shore and as ive heard copped a fair bit of flack out in the battlefield.

In the 3rd aloys captain had a rather good game which was helped bywaverley's halfback having an absolute shocker, which isn't surprising considering his size. I didnt see the final result in that game but from what i saw aloys were the dominant side.

In the 2nds aloys 15 and 10 were outstanding. Waverley played a well structured game and fought til the end bagging the points they needed to come out where the grass was greener. Waverley's #17 had a shocker and i would not be surprised if they formed a 6th XV just for him next week, however their team was held together by captain Nick Parrelli who showed remarkable leadership and high levels of swag for the full 80.

The 1sts has already been covered.

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)
I'm not mentioning it anymore

CAS selections were interesting - only one Aloysius player which is probably in line with results

The backline looks great Renton appears to be have given the nod and fullback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that is one of the more interesting selections. A No.10 in the comp leading team being selected out of position. Renton will do well at 15. This is a boy who doesn't seem to mind the pressure or challenge of a big match-up so it will be great to see how things work out in round 2 when Barker and Cranbrook play next.

golden oldie

Bob McCowan (2)
It was a tough forwards game and a few of this forum's questions answered today.
Line out - dominated by Cranbrook
Scrums - dominated by Cranbrook

Both sides very disciplined. Knox tough and strong around the scrum but not good enough today. Knox and Cranbrook backlines had a great tussle with both playing a wide, confident game. The Cranbrook try off the Renton kick with a wicked bounce to McNiven and then onto Edelstein was my highlight - the 14 from Cranbrook runs on 240 volts!

Many comments this week about Knox's game style and running away with it in the second half. 15 unanswered points from Cranbrook in 2nd half.

On a serious note: the 10 from Knox was taken off on a board. A great concern for all. Can only hope that it was nothing serious. He competed very well the whole game. Any news on his condition would be very welcome.

I appreciate the opportunity to use this forum for it's intended use, to communicate issues to people who are genuinely interested.

Today, for the first time, I was the rugby parent with my boy lying on the ground not moving. It's a daunting feeling. I saw exactly what happened and it was all part of the hard and tough nature of rugby. I knew he was hurt and I just hoped he was ok. The medical staff at the ground were very professional and knew exactly how to handle the injury. He was taken to St Vincent's and they checked him out thoroughly. Fortunately he was cleared of any serious neck injury and after observation was allowed to go home.
Thank you for your concern and thank you to the medical staff at Cranbrook today. They were as good as both teams were today when put to the test. I'm already looking forward to the game on August 3 at Knox!

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
So I attended the latter parts of the Trinity vs Barker match today to stumble upon what was quite an interesting, but somewhat mediocre, display of footy from both sides. Not sure of how many players did return to the Trinity outfit but I managed to catch Barker's star player - Nick Burkett - red carded! That's correct. At the beginning of the 2nd half, score 18-12 to Trinity and the barker Vice Captain was red carded for collapsing a mall (having apparently already received a yellow card prior). I nearly left at that moment because I didn't want to witness the massacre that would follow.

Fortunately, I stayed and, fortunately, the massacre never came. A huddle ensued from the next break in play when the Barker no.7, Tim Pearson (I believe), was injured. Jonathan Green (the Barker hooker) was absolutely fired up and he was talking, and screaming, a frenzy. The parents on the sideline wouldn't have been too happy with his quality of English, however, it was this sort of attitude and passion that Barker have been lacking up until this point in the season. It was from about 100 metres away that I heard him say, amongst other profanities, "how much do we want it?". "Good", I thought to myself, now we'll have a game on our hands as I saw the shift in body language from the rest of the forwards.

From this point onward the Barker forward pack more than made up for their loss of the no.6. They began to break the advantage line against a bigger pack. They were far more aggressive in all aspects of their game (more so than I've seen from them this year), securing their own ball well, and structured and sound in defence. Sean Campbell was making a few good runs, with Dave Balcomb (the inside) proving his worth also. However, the try came off a scrum near the Trinity 22, when Smerdon decided to take on the line himself, breaking through the defensive line untouched and then crashing over the try line after a good attempt from the trinity fullback to stop him. David Balcomb converted from near in to the sideline: 19-18.

The Barker forwards did not take the foot off the pedal. There was a fair amount of scrappy play, but both sides had moments of brilliance. The Trinity 14 showed a great turn of speed and had beat his opposite number on the outside a few times. Both props from trinity impressed me also, as they always managed to beat the advantage line. However, Barker's forwards clearly wanted it too much. Kirkby had a solid game also, but I'd like to see him take on the line a bit more.

Barker kicked 2 extra penalties from pretty far out to get up to 25-18 and that was the final scoreline.

Things to take away:
I think both these teams could potentially cause an upset to one of the top 2 sides. I liked Trinity's forwards but I couldn't help but feel the backline was a bit flat in attack and the Trinity number 9, whilst exhibiting a very slick pass, missed a few golden opportunities simply because he went the wrong way (this may have been the fault of lack of communication from his 10, regardless, it happened too often).

Barker backs were sound. I liked Kirkby's box kick, and Smerdon's passing and running game was good as always. Joel Koppe, the Barker winger, is a good player and I wouldn't exclude him from representative honours. I feel if their forward pack manages that level of intensity throughout a whole game against Cranbrook or Knox then there will be a seriously close contest.

Kevin Gill

Frank Row (1)
Im new to posting but I'd just like to give my 2 cents worth on the Knox v Cranbrook 1st XV game. The atmosphere at Hordern was intense, coming of a draw from the 2nd's game, everyone was fired up and ready to watch the game. The Cranbrook supporters were out in numbers (which is to be expected i suppose) however i was quite disappointed with the lack of Knox supporters (even though they had to make a trip down from the deep north, Barker still managed a fair few supporters down at Hordern).

The first 30 minutes of the game set the tone for what was to become one of the greatest games in the CAS this year (possibly this decade??) or the most riveting. Possession went back and forth between the both sides as they tested out their opponents and looked for their weaknesses. Some great running from both sides, but Knox were putting in the hard effort to get over the line. A late try in the second half to Knox's number 4 changed the course of the game. After a breathtaking individual run, Watson (13) scored for Knox immediately off the restart. From here it seemed that it was going to be a blow out from then on (Which would be well deserved for Knox who displayed an impeccable performance). In the first half, Knox played a tactical, hard hitting game which saw them go over the line twice and they deserved to be winners. It was this point that a Knox supporter pointed out their unforgiving second halves and their passion for the game. I believed every word of it. In the first half, the standout players were definitely 13.Watson (K), 2.Widders Leece (K), and 14.Edelstein (C), although it was very much a team effort with all 30 men on the field giving it their all.

Half-time score: 12-0 to Knox

The second half of the game started with the same intensity as the first half, and it became clear to me that the wise words of the Knox supporter may not have been all to true. Again the start of the second half saw a tough tussle between the two CAS forces as they relentlessly battered their opponents lines. A try to Studdy (11) for Cranbrook was the result of great running from Cranbrook and was the perfect example of their 'field position' style of play. This try was exactly what Cranbrook needed to motivate them and keep them fighting for the victory. A missed conversion from Renton (10) damaged his almost perfect kicking record but seemed to have little effect on his confidence (promising signs for him no doubt). Score 12-5. Knox quickly hit back, and all credit to them they looked exceptionally dangerous, especially in the centres. Every time Knox spread it wide, they looked certain to score. Some magnificent cover tackles from Edelstein (14), Studdy (11) and Wilson (15) meant Cranbrook weren't down by 5 tries. Shortly after Studdy (11) scored for Cranbrook, they were over the line again in one of the most spectacular plays i have seen in school boy rugby. Renton (10) kicks the ball from the 50 metre line and the bounce favours McNiven (12) who picks it up on the run. McNiven offloads to Speedy Gonzales Edelstein (14) who beats the winger and manages to hold his balance and get over the line. Renton easily converts this and the scores become locked up at 12-12, with Cranbrook scoring 12 unanswered points. I looked for the Knox supporter but he was not available for comment. These two tries from Cranbrook settled the score and added an extra intensity to the already enormous game. During this time period, impact player Summerhayes (6) for Cranbrook was sent off due to unsportsman-like play (from my view it looked like he kicked the ball in the ruck while running back and kicked someone in the face) which was a fair decision by the referee. This

As the battle between Cranbrook (David) and Knox (Goliath) entered its final 20 minutes, Hordern became a fortress to Cranbrook, no tries were let in, and their defence was amazing. Their defence was amazing for three reasons. 1. Knox attack was by far the best i've seen in the comp, and it would've taken a semi-trailer to stop the likes of Price (14), Widders-Leece (2), Watson (13), Williams (12) and Swinton (5) (although every player was dangerous with the ball). 2. They managed to defend in their own half for most of the 20 minutes, not giving in to the pressure once. 3. They were a man down, and faced an firing Knox backline, who in previous games are unforgivable if they have room (i haven't watched any games prior, but im just going off what i hear on the grapevine).

The final few minutes of the game sums up the match beautifully. After play had been stopped due to injury (Number 10 for Knox, hope to god that he is okay and has a speedy recovery), a scrum was called in favour of Knox. A quick look at the clock made me realise that we were in the final minute of the game, and a draw was imminent. Both teams looked worn, however body language suggested neither team would give in, and they would have a final crack, and boy was the crowd in for a treat. The scrum is packed down and the Cranbrook scrum dominated the Knox scrum, which is a testament to their scrums all game. The Cranbrook halfback sacked the Knox halfback and the ball was shortly stolen by Cranbrook's Summerhayes, who had returned from the sideline 5 minutes prior. Renton was given the ball and kicked straight away, which in a game this close was probably the wrong option, especially with Knox's over-powering attack. The ball was once again turned over by Cranbrook's Stenmark (4), and a penalty was awarded to Cranbrook for not releasing the ball. Renton opted to take the points (he was standing on the 15 metre line, and about 35-40 metres out. Silence fell over Hordern as the clock ran over-time, with Renton lining up to take his kick. Cranbrook's stands filed out to the sideline while awaiting Renton's kick. A beautiful strike of the ball saw it swing right and went straight through the posts. Cranbrook 15 to Knox 12. The whole oval erupted in cheers as the seconds bench ran on to surround the 1st's, while a swarm of Cranbrook boys raced across the field to join the 1st's and 2nd's huddle.

Like i said before, this game was one of the greatest games of schoolboy rugby i have ever watched with both sides performing out of their skin, the result could've gone either way. Cranbrook scored 15 unanswered points in the second-half to take the win, but the game went down to the wire, and what a way to finish. From Knox, Watson (13) had an amazing game and looked to score every time he touched the ball, Widders-Leece (2) also had an amazing game with some great line-out throws and unstoppable momentum and Price (14) also played a brilliant game with his catching and kicking under pressure. For Cranbrook, Edelstein (14) played out of his skin, with amazing defence, dragging down the biggest blokes, McCombe (5) and Stenmark (4) both had an outstanding game in the second row, and Studdy (11) also played a magnificent game which saw him rise to the occasion. He played much better than he has played before.

I am deeply sorry for the incredibly long post, but this game was too good to skip out any detail. My MVP for the match goes to Edelstein (14) for Cranbrook who epitomised Cranbrook's performance in the David V Goliath battle. Smallest kid on the field, dragged down every one of the Knox team with ease. This being said, Watson (13) for Knox also had a blinder and should be highly commended for his outstanding performance.

Thanks for reading, any feedback would be appreciated
Big Kev

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)
I appreciate the opportunity to use this forum for it's intended use, to communicate issues to people who are genuinely interested.

Today, for the first time, I was the rugby parent with my boy lying on the ground not moving. It's a daunting feeling. I saw exactly what happened and it was all part of the hard and tough nature of rugby. I knew he was hurt and I just hoped he was ok. The medical staff at the ground were very professional and knew exactly how to handle the injury. He was taken to St Vincent's and they checked him out thoroughly. Fortunately he was cleared of any serious neck injury and after observation was allowed to go home.
Thank you for your concern and thank you to the medical staff at Cranbrook today. They were as good as both teams were today when put to the test. I'm already looking forward to the game on August 3 at Knox!
HIP HIP HOORAY!

The Guardian

Bob McCowan (2)
Not sure of how many players did return to the Trinity outfit but I managed to catch Barker's star player - Nick Burkett - red carded! That's correct. At the beginning of the 2nd half, score 18-12 to Trinity and the barker Vice Captain was red carded for collapsing a mall (having apparently already received a yellow card prior). I nearly left at that moment because I didn't want to witness the massacre that would follow.

Good summary...interestingly enough Burkett was named in CAS 1's team but will definitely miss this Thursday's match due to the red card.

If selectors picked this side based on the match up yesterday between Burkett and Corias, then I don't know how Burkett made the 1's.

The first yellow card came from a shoulder charge from Burkett on Corias which was totally ineffective and didn't move the Trinity 6 at all. The charge came about out of Burkett's frustration that seconds earlier Corias executed a pilfer at tackle on the Barker 6 that resulted in a penalty to Trinity.

The Barker star was totally outplayed yesterday and his lack of discipline could have cost Barker the game.

Earlier posts referred to players being selected on form rather than past glory, and unfortunately I think that is what has happened here.

At any rate, with Burkett missing this Thursday's fixture, the Trinity 6 may well get his chance to prove his worth.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
CAS Opens ( as of 31st May ) to play on Thursday 5th June v CHS
1st XV - Tom Hill ( C ), James Widders-Leece ( K ) Alexander Rathie ( C ), Hugh Summerhayes ( C ), Lachlan Swinton ( K ), Nick Burkett ( B ), Jake Pierce ( K ), Nick Makas ( C ), Stephen Kirkby ( B ), David Smerdon ( B ), Zac Edelstein ( C ), Joe WIlliams ( K ), Connor Watson ( K ), Lucas Price ( K ), Sam Renton ( C ), Coaches – Mr T Glassie ( K ), Mr H Engele ( T ), Mgr – Mr B Robinson ( B ),
2nd XV - Harry McLennan ( T ), Charlie Banks ( C ), Austin Black ( K ), Will Stenmark ( C ), Langton McCombe ( C ), George Corias ( T ), Tom Mahony ( C ), Brett Van Zyl ( K ), Roy Harrison ( C ), James Dainton ( A ), Rihann Barkely-Brown ( T ), Henry Patterson ( W ), Nick Carroll ( C ), Sean Campbell ( B ), Seb Field ( K ) - Res Rob Lacinski ( K ), Anthony Nguyen ( T ), Edward Cook ( T ), Justin Cooper ( W ), Tim Pearson ( B ), Deon Navayan ( W ), Angus McNiven ( C ), David Barbati ( T ), Coaches – Mr G Munday ( A ), Mr J Burr ( A ), Physio – Mrs N Veverka
All boys to attend training at Knox Grammar on Monday 2nd June from 4pm sharp.

CAS 16s
North Harbour selections ( as of 26th May )
Barker – A Blackmore, T Stals, T Anstey, J Dalton, M Nevison, S Hasegawa
Knox – C Grindall, H Margin, L Ireland, M Horsley, T Gee, M Basson, R Butler, H Stocks, J Armstrong, J Kane, L Bosch
St. Aloysius – S Stene, T Kennedy, N Hrdina, V Hrdina, A Heath, M Dainton, A Jeffrey, P Slaven
Coach – Mr G Clifton-Smith
South Harbour selections ( as of 23rd May )
Cranbrook – N Busteed, M Matters, D Quinn, M Reynolds, J Smith, A Spira, H Stewart, T Burston
Trinity – A Connolly, D Koutoulos, R Longville, J Morris, L Rasch, K Souvaliotis, M Swallow, A Tonkin, J Wayland
Waverley – T Bailey, Z Brown, A Hassan, E Micallef, J Mohi, B O’Sullivan, L Smith, J Yoannidis
Coach – Mr K Ikeuchi ( T )

Renners

Frank Row (1)
Im new to posting but I'd just like to give my 2 cents worth on the Knox v Cranbrook 1st XV game. The atmosphere at Hordern was intense, coming of a draw from the 2nd's game, everyone was fired up and ready to watch the game. The Cranbrook supporters were out in numbers (which is to be expected i suppose) however i was quite disappointed with the lack of Knox supporters (even though they had to make a trip down from the deep north, Barker still managed a fair few supporters down at Hordern).

The first 30 minutes of the game set the tone for what was to become one of the greatest games in the CAS this year (possibly this decade??) or the most riveting. Possession went back and forth between the both sides as they tested out their opponents and looked for their weaknesses. Some great running from both sides, but Knox were putting in the hard effort to get over the line. A late try in the second half to Knox's number 4 changed the course of the game. After a breathtaking individual run, Watson (13) scored for Knox immediately off the restart. From here it seemed that it was going to be a blow out from then on (Which would be well deserved for Knox who displayed an impeccable performance). In the first half, Knox played a tactical, hard hitting game which saw them go over the line twice and they deserved to be winners. It was this point that a Knox supporter pointed out their unforgiving second halves and their passion for the game. I believed every word of it. In the first half, the standout players were definitely 13.Watson (K), 2.Widders Leece (K), and 14.Edelstein (C), although it was very much a team effort with all 30 men on the field giving it their all.

Half-time score: 12-0 to Knox

The second half of the game started with the same intensity as the first half, and it became clear to me that the wise words of the Knox supporter may not have been all to true. Again the start of the second half saw a tough tussle between the two CAS forces as they relentlessly battered their opponents lines. A try to Studdy (11) for Cranbrook was the result of great running from Cranbrook and was the perfect example of their 'field position' style of play. This try was exactly what Cranbrook needed to motivate them and keep them fighting for the victory. A missed conversion from Renton (10) damaged his almost perfect kicking record but seemed to have little effect on his confidence (promising signs for him no doubt). Score 12-5. Knox quickly hit back, and all credit to them they looked exceptionally dangerous, especially in the centres. Every time Knox spread it wide, they looked certain to score. Some magnificent cover tackles from Edelstein (14), Studdy (11) and Wilson (15) meant Cranbrook weren't down by 5 tries. Shortly after Studdy (11) scored for Cranbrook, they were over the line again in one of the most spectacular plays i have seen in school boy rugby. Renton (10) kicks the ball from the 50 metre line and the bounce favours McNiven (12) who picks it up on the run. McNiven offloads to Speedy Gonzales Edelstein (14) who beats the winger and manages to hold his balance and get over the line. Renton easily converts this and the scores become locked up at 12-12, with Cranbrook scoring 12 unanswered points. I looked for the Knox supporter but he was not available for comment. These two tries from Cranbrook settled the score and added an extra intensity to the already enormous game. During this time period, impact player Summerhayes (6) for Cranbrook was sent off due to unsportsman-like play (from my view it looked like he kicked the ball in the ruck while running back and kicked someone in the face) which was a fair decision by the referee. This

As the battle between Cranbrook (David) and Knox (Goliath) entered its final 20 minutes, Hordern became a fortress to Cranbrook, no tries were let in, and their defence was amazing. Their defence was amazing for three reasons. 1. Knox attack was by far the best i've seen in the comp, and it would've taken a semi-trailer to stop the likes of Price (14), Widders-Leece (2), Watson (13), Williams (12) and Swinton (5) (although every player was dangerous with the ball). 2. They managed to defend in their own half for most of the 20 minutes, not giving in to the pressure once. 3. They were a man down, and faced an firing Knox backline, who in previous games are unforgivable if they have room (i haven't watched any games prior, but im just going off what i hear on the grapevine).

The final few minutes of the game sums up the match beautifully. After play had been stopped due to injury (Number 10 for Knox, hope to god that he is okay and has a speedy recovery), a scrum was called in favour of Knox. A quick look at the clock made me realise that we were in the final minute of the game, and a draw was imminent. Both teams looked worn, however body language suggested neither team would give in, and they would have a final crack, and boy was the crowd in for a treat. The scrum is packed down and the Cranbrook scrum dominated the Knox scrum, which is a testament to their scrums all game. The Cranbrook halfback sacked the Knox halfback and the ball was shortly stolen by Cranbrook's Summerhayes, who had returned from the sideline 5 minutes prior. Renton was given the ball and kicked straight away, which in a game this close was probably the wrong option, especially with Knox's over-powering attack. The ball was once again turned over by Cranbrook's Stenmark (4), and a penalty was awarded to Cranbrook for not releasing the ball. Renton opted to take the points (he was standing on the 15 metre line, and about 35-40 metres out. Silence fell over Hordern as the clock ran over-time, with Renton lining up to take his kick. Cranbrook's stands filed out to the sideline while awaiting Renton's kick. A beautiful strike of the ball saw it swing right and went straight through the posts. Cranbrook 15 to Knox 12. The whole oval erupted in cheers as the seconds bench ran on to surround the 1st's, while a swarm of Cranbrook boys raced across the field to join the 1st's and 2nd's huddle.

Like i said before, this game was one of the greatest games of schoolboy rugby i have ever watched with both sides performing out of their skin, the result could've gone either way. Cranbrook scored 15 unanswered points in the second-half to take the win, but the game went down to the wire, and what a way to finish. From Knox, Watson (13) had an amazing game and looked to score every time he touched the ball, Widders-Leece (2) also had an amazing game with some great line-out throws and unstoppable momentum and Price (14) also played a brilliant game with his catching and kicking under pressure. For Cranbrook, Edelstein (14) played out of his skin, with amazing defence, dragging down the biggest blokes, McCombe (5) and Stenmark (4) both had an outstanding game in the second row, and Studdy (11) also played a magnificent game which saw him rise to the occasion. He played much better than he has played before.

I am deeply sorry for the incredibly long post, but this game was too good to skip out any detail. My MVP for the match goes to Edelstein (14) for Cranbrook who epitomised Cranbrook's performance in the David V Goliath battle. Smallest kid on the field, dragged down every one of the Knox team with ease. This being said, Watson (13) for Knox also had a blinder and should be highly commended for his outstanding performance.

Thanks for reading, any feedback would be appreciated
Big Kev

Excellent review. Certainly a game that no one who was present will ever forget!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Im new to posting but I'd just like to give my 2 cents worth ....

The second half of the game started with the same intensity as the first half, and it became clear to me that the wise words of the Knox supporter may not have been all to true. Again the start of the second half saw a tough tussle between the two CAS forces as they relentlessly battered their opponents lines. A try to Studdy (11) for Cranbrook was the result of great running from Cranbrook and was the perfect example of their 'field position' style of play. This try was exactly what Cranbrook needed to motivate them and keep them fighting for the victory. A missed conversion from Renton (10) damaged his almost perfect kicking record but seemed to have little effect on his confidence (promising signs for him no doubt). Score 12-5.

Great first up post. I stand corrected on Felix studdy scoring that first try ... Think I credited it to the outside centre. You are quite right too re a lot of players deserving a mention ... Mcgiven (cranbrooks inside centre) was great and
Price (who I referred to as dolph lundgren) has improved significantly from prior year ... Both teams coaching staff should take full credit , as both teams would perform very well in the 2014 gps comp

Might make for some more interesting gps v cas rep games

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
Cranbrook 15 Knox 12
Two tries apiece. Cranbrook won with a penalty on full time and did all their scoring in the 2nd half. Knox held scoreless
Cranbrook took strong in the forwards

Cranbrook stronger in both scrum and line out but an exaggeration to label them as too strong in the forwards. Usually when a side is too strong they don't win with the aid of a truly wicked bounce and a penalty on full time. Not taking anything away from Cranbrook. Their defence for periods of the second half was sensational and they won the game fair and square. Knox almost overcame the difficulties resulting from getting clean ball from the line outs and scrums. This reminded me of the Wallabies of the eighties who would battle gamely against the All Blacks and win occasionally with 40% or less of the ball. Knox lacked the composure they showed in the first half when they pushed passes rather than take the tackle.
I agree with the poster who ranked this game as one of the best CAS games of recent times. The atmosphere was fabulous. Can't wait for the return fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.