• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
Snort is pretty much on the money as far as Aloys go. They have 145 boys per year and they are needed in as many co-curricula activities as possible. A perfect example is that 7 of the First XI will play in the First XV this year including 5 of the 7 backs this week.

Academics is of course the most important thing - it is a school - but sport is also vitally important and they put as much time and effort as most schools but are limited by numbers and the fact they will not recruit.

The coaching is of a very high standard but with only 3 Year 12 boys in the forwards it is very hard to match the older, bigger more experienced packs but they will keep giving it everything.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
I
I disagree there, Waverley won in 2007 and 2009 and have placed 2nd for 4 years running since 2009. In the last 2 seasons they drew with the winners in one year and beat them the next (some would argue Waverley should have won the first encounter as well, which i agree with).

As for Aloys, without going on too much of a tangent, they are academically selective but they allow spots for siblings, sons of old boys, and the junior school entry requirements is a lower standard. Their mentality is focused around academics and that is what they achieve, plain and simple - I doubt their results would be significantly affected if they changed their admissions policy

I do agree the old boy placement, sibling placement, junior school numbers only allow perhaps 20 year 7 boys per year - maybe a few more these days. Although they are academically focused they are partially selective taking into account a boys other talents as well. Also religion is jmportant and although some students may not be catholic - this is a very small number and there are usually extenuating circumstances I here.

With all of these factors - many have criticised aloys for opening up the school too much to boys with other talents at the risk of losing the academic standing - however results are the highest they have ever been so obviously someone is doing something right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kazoom

Frank Nicholson (4)
Regarding U16s Reps, I believe Trinity has 4 x U16s playing in their 1st XV team. How many other U16s are playing in 1sts teams in the comp?

Any chance of a response to this?

Trinity - 4 ?
Waverley - 2 in their 1sts squad

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Regarding U16s Reps, I believe Trinity has 4 x U16s playing in their 1st XV team. How many other U16s are playing in 1sts teams in the comp?

Any chance of a response to this?

Trinity - 4 ?
Waverley - 2 in their 1sts squad

I think one of the Cranbrook wingers?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I log onto this site everyday to find out what's happening in CAS Rugby and, with all due respect, find it a bit disappointing to see that we are going off topic and talking about academics, admission policies, etc. Bring back the rugby talk!

Understand your point, RuggerHaz. Problem is, not a whole lot happens on Wednesdays.

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
Knox have one U16 (second rower) in the firsts plus two other boys in the U16's who made NSW U15's last year (centre/winger and fullback).

Aloys policy is not to play Year 10 boys in Opens. One was in NSW U15's last year (five-eight) and another who probably would have made it if not injured back then (half, centre or fullback).

Pretty sure Barker have none.

Smooth

Stan Wickham (3)
Tough one this year, because there are not many certainties and there are heaps of credible contenders for back row spots in CAS 1sts.

Hooker should be Widders-Leece (K), a standout. McLennan (T) should be one prop, with the other spot up for grabs. In the second row, I like Filipo (T) and I have a suspicion that the selectors will put a back-rower in there - say, Makas (C). Back row - well, Burkett (B) should be there, and Summerhayes (C) and Van Zyl (K). But that's tough on Corias (T), Mahony (C) and Pierce (K). The halves should be Kirkby (B) and Smerdon (B), with Renton (C) at 10 if Smerdon is injured. I've seen no outstanding 12 this season, so I'm tempted to think the selectors might go for a positional shift and play either Paterson (W) or Vevers (A) there. Watson (K) is the outside-centre. I'd have Barkley-Brown (T) at full back, though he could play on the wing if the selectors went for someone else, such as Price (K). As for wingers - well, no-one has stood out this season. If there are to be surprises, they could come here. If Vevers (A) isn't in the centres, he could find himself on one wing. Bolters for the other place could include Radoczy (C) and Bindczus (K) - it's really wide open, I think.

So - shoot me down. No doubt I've got it all wrong.

What, no Saofia? According to the video of the game I just watched he throughly outplayed Vevers. He ran around him and through him on many occasions.
Also Rasch has been the go-to man at the line outs and his overall game has been impressive.
Food for thought...

Lemons

Bob McCowan (2)
What, no Saofia? According to the video of the game I just watched he throughly outplayed Vevers. He ran around him and through him on many occasions.
Also Rasch has been the go-to man at the line outs and his overall game has been impressive.
Food for thought.

Any link for the video footage?

Lemons

Bob McCowan (2)
Picking CAS teams now, open to ridicule!:

1) ?
2) Widders-Leece (K)
3) Austin Black (K)
4) ?
5) Summerhays (C)
6) Burkett
7) Pierce (K)
8) Van Zyl (K)
9) Kirkby (B) possibility of Knox 9 I believe Rose slotting in?
10) Smerdon (B) if fit if not looking at the moment Cranbrook 10
11) Bindzcus (K)
12) J. Williams (K) / or 12 from Trinity - Impressed greatly in last two games, strong hard runner
13) C. Watson(K)
14) L. Price (K)
15) S. Field (K)

I know Knox features heavily, but honestly so far the players listed have had blinders of games. Haven't seen anything of veevers so can't say, but I reckon it would be best possibly for the backline this year to be based on combinations i.e 9/10 Barker then 11 to 15 Knox

Thoughts?

kazoom

Frank Nicholson (4)
So Alo's have a policy of not playing year 10 boys in the Opens. Do any other schools have this policy?
So far there looks to be about 8 x U16s playing 1sts this year ( 4 Trinity, 2 Wav, 1 Cranbrook, 1 Knox).
As well as the talent in the U16s comp itself.

Mactruck

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree with Lemons, Knox's backline is simply a machine early on in this season. Burkett is a monster and is unfortunately stuck in a team that's missing superstars from last year.

Heard Knox still has players from their 1sts squad who are recovering from injuries.

Dylan Cronje, (5) needs to put on some size still potentially a good player from the bench. Needs to learn to take hits and work on his breakdown technique.

Louis Longhi, (8) superb size as a player however is lacking some skills as he's still making the transition from soccer. Lower body strength could be improved upon.

Ed McCann, (8/10) Recruited to play representative AFL, perfect mixture of height and size as well as speed with obvious kicking abilities. Could take Nicholas's Spot as number 10 for Knox.

Open to some discussion and any extra information on the above three.

Thoughts?

casrugby12

Allen Oxlade (6)
Cas 1st 15
1 harry McLennan
2 widders-leece
3 ?
4 ?
5 summerhays
6 Burkett
7 pierce
8 van zyl
9 kikby
10 smerdon
11 veevers
12 Sofia or willams
13 Watson
14 ?
15 Barkley-brown

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
So Alo's have a policy of not playing year 10 boys in the Opens. Do any other schools have this policy?
So far there looks to be about 8 x U16s playing 1sts this year ( 4 Trinity, 2 Wav, 1 Cranbrook, 1 Knox).
As well as the talent in the U16s comp itself.
Just remember not all boys turn 18 in Year 12.
Some or all of the U16's could be in Year 11, not Year 10.

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
I've only seen the Trinity, Waverley and Aloys boys go around so far, so am not remotely in a position to suggest who should hold the final positions, but from what I've seen, contenders from those sides whose names ought to at least be short-listed for CAS rep honours should include:

1. McLellan (T)
2. Nguyen (T)
4/5. Filipo (T), Rasch (T)
6. Corias (T)
10/12. Paterson (W)
12/13. Saofia (T)
13. Vevers (A)
11/14/15. Barkley-Brown (T)

Obviously this is a short list only, and there will players from Cranbrook, Barker and Know that will hold many of the final spots. There also may well be players come through and have strong games and seasons from those teams I've already seen.

Of those I have listed, I would have thought McLellan (T) is the absolute stand out. Every game I've seen him play he has been hard working in tight, skillful and surprising fast with ball in hand and prominent and dominant in defence. I think he's a year 11 boy and, assuming he stays fit I'd be surprised if there are two better props in the CAS over the next 2 years.

The others who have stood out in the games I've seen are Paterson (W), who cut Trinity up at will with his strong running and Barkley-Brown (T), who looks to be very fast and skillful, with good technique and absolute commitment in defence, and a class above at times.

Lemons

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree with Lemons, Knox's backline is simply a machine early on in this season. Burkett is a monster and is unfortunately stuck in a team that's missing superstars from last year.

Heard Knox still has players from their 1sts squad who are recovering from injuries.

Dylan Cronje, (5) needs to put on some size still potentially a good player from the bench. Needs to learn to take hits and work on his breakdown technique.

Louis Longhi, (8) superb size as a player however is lacking some skills as he's still making the transition from soccer. Lower body strength could be improved upon.

Ed McCann, (8/10) Recruited to play representative AFL, perfect mixture of height and size as well as speed with obvious kicking abilities. Could take Nicholas's Spot as number 10 for Knox.

Open to some discussion and any extra information on the above three.

Thoughts?

Mactruck are you able to confirm how you became aware of this information... I did hear from a friends son that Knox did assatain a prospective AFL rep - is he really going to play rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.