• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
understand its important to win but schoolboys should be encouraged to play running rugby for the game to prosper in australia

Carlos 69

Frank Row (1)
16A's Waverley vs Cranbrook
Waverley 21 Cranbrook 15
In a tug of war game Waverley winning in a result that could have gone either way. Both teams played hard and the game was very physical. The standouts for Cranbrook were number 8 AndrewSpira and number 5 in the forwards with their strong running. The standouts for Waverley were number 20 who ran well, number 6 Liam Molloy who was a workhorse and number 15 who was ran the ball well and troubled the line. Number 13 Jaya Yoannidis was also great with great long runs. The forwards had a fierce battle and were even. Waverley's backs were clearly superior in the game as Cranbrooks attack largely evolved around Spira. This was however a great game and both teams performed well.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
sorry yes 15 was very good too, cranbrook would have won by 60 if they kicked for touch instead of for goals from 50 in the first half

Given it was 10-3 in the first half so the defence was still tight, why do you assume that Cranbrook would have automatically scored if they had kicked for touch instead of gone for long goals twice ? That is quite an unsubstantiated assumption not based on the evidence in the first half, and a tad arrogant I would argue.

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)
understand its important to win but schoolboys should be encouraged to play running rugby for the game to prosper in australia

I only caught the 2nd half of the 2nds game and I think Cranbrook’s kicking in general play in this game let them down a couple of times also. In the end Waverley came very close to stealing the win with a great break in their own half stopped well into Cranbrook's 22 only through a solid Cranbrook cover tackle but unlike the 1sts it was no run away.

TahTah

Stan Wickham (3)
Given it was 10-3 in the first half so the defence was still tight, why do you assume that Cranbrook would have automatically scored if they had kicked for touch instead of gone for long goals twice ? That is quite an unsubstantiated assumption not based on the evidence in the first half, and a tad arrogant I would argue.

Cranbrook changed their approach in the 2nd half and kicked far more often for the line out rather than the penalty. They kept the ball in play and put on 33 points to zero in the 2nd. Agreed, Waverley's defence was stronger in the first half but Cranbrook's kicking was a better option for Waverley than Cranbrook. I think an earlier poster got it spot on, if Renton (who still had a solid game) had polished his kicking boots the score would have been near 60.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Mate I'm a Waverley old boy last thing I wanted to see was my old school go down by 40 so can't see how im being arrogant???? Cranbrook had it all over Waverley out wide and if they had kept the ball in hand rather then kick it away they would have scored tries like they did in the second

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Mate I'm a Waverley old boy last thing I wanted to see was my old school go down by 40 so can't see how im being arrogant???? Cranbrook had it all over Waverley out wide and if they had kept the ball in hand rather then kick it away they would have scored tries like they did in the second

As I said before, I can't agree with your assumption that if they didn't kick for goal twice they would have automatically scored both times. On the face of it a 10-3 halftime score gives weight to my argument rather than yours.

Luiten

Bob McCowan (2)
In the 16A's it looks as if Knox will once again be strong, Aloys are proving hard to beat too, Waverley, Trinity and Barker will fight it out mid table for the remainder of the year and Cranbrook have put in 3 lacklustre performances so far, heavily revolving around Andrew Spira, although they did give Waverley a run for the money.

mickey insane

Frank Row (1)
players to make north harbour from knox
1- c.grindall
5- h.margin
7- t.gee
9-r.butler
12- j.armstrong
13- j.kane - has alot of speed and can tackle
15- l.bosch
should be north harbour no.8 milan basson as he is gordon no 8 and would of been state no.8 but due to injury could play.

Chris Jones

Bob McCowan (2)
Barker 21-0 Aloysius
Barker were strong in all areas of the game. Forwards were larger and overwhelmed Aloys forwards at the beginning, probably extremely hungry for their first win. 9 (B) constantly niggled at Aloys forwards at the ruck and constantly followed the ball wherever at all times. 13 also ran hard and straight lines with consistent defense to hold Vevers/13 (A) and Renshaw/12 (A).

As for the Aloys boys, score line probably didn't reflect the tough contest that was fought on the field. Found some fight after conceding the first try but probably tired due to constantly defending the larger Barker pack. Solid performance from Ben Wilkinson (4) showing strength and an eagerness that the team seemed to lack. Once again the performance from Dainton and the majority of the backline played with pace and defended well for majority of the game bar a few halfhearted attempts that resulted in Barker gaining big meters.

Overall, Barker finally get a win under their belts which should boost confidence within the camp. Aloys still searching for their first win however once again provided stiff competition and certainly deserve a win in the not so distant future. Barker in lower opens teams dominated Aloys. Simply an issue of depth for Aloys who possess half the school population of Barker.

benson13

Bob McCowan (2)
Had to feel sorry for Waverley today they had a few trying very hard but as others have suggested looked like they had been thrown out there with little to no structure or coaching. The boys deserve better speaking to a few down there today the sportsmaster wanted to coach the side at the expense of old boys with better credentials submitting to do the job for less then what the school pays "mr soccer" a external group to run the schools soccer.

On a different note, since when have schoolboy teams been taking any penalties within 50 metres for a shot at goal. didnt like that.

Think brumbiejack was tough on cranbrook as well as the 6,8, 14 being outstanding I thought 12 ran straight and hard for good metres and 13 tackled well.

Waverley came out of the gates hard but not scoring in the first ten seem to deflat them. Unfortunately their attack was limited to pick and drives

As mentioned earlier, very much a stop start game (with the ref not helping). Cranbrook forwards did a sensational job and over powered the waves pack.

Waverely are struggling to get the ball out to the 10 quickly. They didn't get a chance to spread the ball today.

I overheard a number of waverley parents commenting on the coaching staff and that the headmaster is not interested in focusing on the rugby programme. This is a shame considering 3 boys (8, 10 & 12) made the under 18 CIS squad this week - i hear the 10 (Dion N) is still 16 and played 1sts last year also.

Looking forward to Knox and Cranbrook, should be a corker.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
As mentioned earlier, very much a stop start game (with the ref not helping). Cranbrook forwards did a sensational job and over powered the waves pack.

Waverely are struggling to get the ball out to the 10 quickly. They didn't get a chance to spread the ball today.

I overheard a number of waverley parents commenting on the coaching staff and that the headmaster is not interested in focusing on the rugby programme. This is a shame considering 3 boys (8, 10 & 12) made the under 18 CIS squad this week - i hear the 10 (Dion N) is still 16 and played 1sts last year also.

Looking forward to Knox and Cranbrook, should be a corker.

Yes, Waverley couldn't spread the ball quickly as Cranbrook did them over at the set piece and were all over them at the breakdown (very often illegally - I think the ref had his hands full there and it was the players, not the ref that was to blame). Cranbrook were undoubtedly the better team and their forwards are good and well coached - their defence in both forwards and backs is very tight. I haven't seen Knox but from their results it sounds like Knox is a good attacking team and Cranbrook a good defensive one so it should be a good tussle.
As a Waverley parent and rugby fanatic I think the headmaster has it right re rugby. The school has limited financial resources (currently not enough funds to even buy a scrum machine - and it showed today) and focusing on rugby comes at the expense of something else. It is a road to nowhere to try to emulate other schools who have the financial wherewithall to turn programs around quickly.
Given we came second 3/4 years in a row with the same resources (different teachers coaching admittedly) and the junior grades have good numbers and results I don't think we should break out the sackcloth just yet. This year is going to be a long one but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The level of despondency coming from Waverely is a bit silly. It's going to be a tough season. But no-one stays on top for ever. Knox looks set to win the competition this season, and three years ago I saw Trinity beat them 73-10. The wheel turns.

S

sidelineview

The level of despondency coming from Waverely is a bit silly. It's going to be a tough season. But no-one stays on top for ever. Knox looks set to win the competition this season, and three years ago I saw Trinity beat them 73-10. The wheel turns.

Exactly my point Snort ... it's not all doom and gloom for Waverley, and all the criticism of the coaching at the school is exaggerated due to them losing games.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
As I said before, I can't agree with your assumption that if they didn't kick for goal twice they would have automatically scored both times. On the face of it a 10-3 halftime score gives weight to my argument rather than yours.
the evidence that when they didnt kick for goal and kicked for the line in the second half and scored is clear cut evidence for mine, unless waverley ran out a different team in the second half???

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yes, Waverley couldn't spread the ball quickly as Cranbrook did them over at the set piece and were all over them at the breakdown (very often illegally - I think the ref had his hands full there and it was the players, not the ref that was to blame). Cranbrook were undoubtedly the better team and their forwards are good and well coached - their defence in both forwards and backs is very tight. I haven't seen Knox but from their results it sounds like Knox is a good attacking team and Cranbrook a good defensive one so it should be a good tussle.
As a Waverley parent and rugby fanatic I think the headmaster has it right re rugby. The school has limited financial resources (currently not enough funds to even buy a scrum machine - and it showed today) and focusing on rugby comes at the expense of something else. It is a road to nowhere to try to emulate other schools who have the financial wherewithall to turn programs around quickly.
Given we came second 3/4 years in a row with the same resources (different teachers coaching admittedly) and the junior grades have good numbers and results I don't think we should break out the sackcloth just yet. This year is going to be a long one but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
disagree there are more funds given to soccer I think that at very least these should be equally matched? waverley has a strong tradition in rugby and if nothing is done it will get worse. There is enough resources and money at waverley for it to give a little to the program without anything else having to suffer. I was recently at a dinner for old boys at the school and can tell you that 85% of the conversation was about rugby stories from the various year groups in attendance.

You could see on the waverley boys faces that they were embarrassed standing behind the post. There was enough in that team to hotly contest that game. the cranbrook boys were coached better and they also looked better developed physically. Wouldnt hurt the hip pocket to much to have a strength and conditioning trainer work out of the gym surely

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
But as you would agree know have made some significant changes to their program since then?

Status
Not open for further replies.