• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
to not Put H.Patterson (W) would be a absolute joke. Just because the Waverley team is out of form this year, does not mean you can overlook the players who are performing well.

I think its not that cut and dry, he was def no standout against Cranbrook and the reason he moved from 10 to 12 was he doesn't pass. Mind you put him in a better environment and you will see a 10x better player that he is in that Waverley rabble

Lemons 2.0

Bob McCowan (2)
Perhaps Fernandez (B) at Prop and Patterson (W) at 12 could figure in considerations.
Although there are 5 players selected in different positions than their school teams, most have past experience in these positions above. The tight 5 may be a weakness against GPS but this pack would be incredibly mobile, dangerous in open play and very strong defensively.
Renton played on the wing a couple of year's back in the CAS U16 I think. He is quick and adds value to the team with his goalkicking skills.

Look I think honestly a lot of you are stuck on previous years performances and the like... Veevers (A) has not had much of an impact so far this year, as mentioned previously when barker 13 played knox 13 (watson) barker 13 looked hopeless, but then when barker 13 played aloys 13 (vevers) barker 13 stopped veevers in attack and all.

You need to look at current performance and how they are playing in positions, and nothing on ego, or previous performance.

The back line for CAS should be heavily dominated by Knox

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Look I think honestly a lot of you are stuck on previous years performances and the like. Veevers (A) has not had much of an impact so far this year, as mentioned previously when barker 13 played knox 13 (watson) barker 13 looked hopeless, but then when barker 13 played aloys 13 (vevers) barker 13 stopped veevers in attack and all.

You need to look at current performance and how they are playing in positions, and nothing on ego, or previous performance.

The back line for CAS should be heavily dominated by Knox
Vevers had one of his best games all season against barker - the service has just been poor through the developing 9 and the relatively scrappy 12. Great game in defence - you are just reiterating what an original poster said on this issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just went past the team list. Trinity have a number of players out this week. Corias- concussion, McClennan out suspended, Fly half Sitiene out- wrist, Barkeley-Brown - virus, Fish- shoulder. I think there are a few others out as well. Looks like it will be a tough one at Cranbrook.

Ouch. With Trinity at full strength, it would have been a great game. With those players out, Cranbrook by 40.

oldandslow

Herbert Moran (7)
Cranbrook up 31-8 at half time, after taking a 31 nil lead. If Renton wasn't kicking away possession non-stop they'd have 50 by now.

abe01

Frank Nicholson (4)
Jimmy Widders-leece has only had a few games this year at Hooker. His try scoring days will be numbered now he is learning to hook and participate in the rucks. He has had some good running tries after retrieving the ball from outside the ruck.
Someone forgot to tell jwl that, a hatrick today

sw57

Bob McCowan (2)
Knox 58
Aloys 12

Tries to Widders-Leece (3, now 9 in 4 games), Van Zyl (2), pierce, Williams and two others (Watson and price?) and tries to nowlan and Dunlop from aloys.

Vevers off in the first half with a head injury, bindczus off in second half with a shoulder injury.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The survivors of Trinity's 1945 1st XV will be glad to know that their 0-72 belting by Waverley is no longer the school's worst result ever. Three-point tries back then, mind...

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Watched Knox vs aloys today a great first twenty minutes from the aloys boys but in the end Knox too big, too strong and too well drilled but a well spirited performance from SAC

I mainly went out to see vevers vs Watson and Watson is Definately the best option at 13. I think perhaps vevers if he is fit should be an option at wing or even full back. Watson really impressed and reminds me of a young tom English - he also got away so many offloads which was impressive

Widders-leece scores so many due to the work of the knox forwards who can steam roll through the opposition with successive phases - combined with his speed and size - once a gap has been created he is hard to stop in this dominant side

I thought that Slaven was good for Aloysius - who showed a lot of heart tackling opposition players a lot bigger than himself and is constantly looking for work

Artbeet

Frank Nicholson (4)
It isca ver
The survivors of Trinity's 1945 1st XV will be glad to know that their 0-72 belting by Waverley is no longer the school's worst result ever. Three-point tries back then, mind.[/quote

This result seems to be an interesting study of 2 schools that treat their rugby programs very differently. One building longer term competencies by prioritising strong systems and coaching, the other a shorter term focus if incentivising external playing talent to be successful. And when you think short term the lack of depth always catches up.

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
Vevers had one of his best games all season against barker - the service has just been poor through the developing 9 and the relatively scrappy 12. Great game in defence - you are just reiterating what an original poster said on this issue

I've seen Vevers each year when Aloys have played Barker. He looked much better in years gone past. Barker 13 switched from flanker to play 13 this year. I really think we were at different games. Vevers did not impress me against Barker like he has in prior years. I know it is only one game but the gap to Watson is huge

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
This result seems to be an interesting study of 2 schools that treat their rugby programs very differently. One building longer term competencies by prioritising strong systems and coaching, the other a shorter term focus if incentivising external playing talent to be successful. And when you think short term the lack of depth always catches up.

If cranbrook "build long term" then they must've been building since 1994 because I'm yet to see any decent side since then until now. I think this tends to happen across all schools whereby on the odd occasion they have an outstanding group of talent to work with. No offence to Cranbrooks rugby program intended, but It's simply not possible to have been successfully 'building long term' for a generation of players that weren't born the last time the school won a CAS premiership.

On another note, was at Knox vs Aloys today and must say that Aloys looked great for the first 20 minutes! Comparatively Knox looked shockingly out of character. They were making basic errors, dropping passes in the backs, and giving away far too many penalties early in the game. However, when they did have the ball in hand they look disastrously dangerous. The Knox pack is big, mobile, and can throw some pretty nifty offloads - sometimes rumbling up the middle for 20 metres off 1 phase. Their backs, not quite as impressive, but the no. 13 was an absolute handful and their 9 had great vision and ordered the forwards around well.

The Knox backs undoubtedly looked great but my thoughts were that most of their good work was off the back of a brilliant platform set up for them through the forwards. That said, it seems that the Knox uniform is working well as a team again with great understanding between the forwards and backs.

Once Knox found their groove Aloys never really had a chance - especially with Vevers injured. However, I couldn't help but feel that the Aloys boys weren't as fired up as they were last week and, for what must be the first time ever, it almost seemed that they'd given up.

Another observation of mine was that Knox's defence was VERY solid - for this reason I'd expect them to win against cranbrook. However, they are very susceptible to the very simple formula: Suck the forwards in and throw it to the backs. Their backs were not great in scrambling defence, nor dealing with an overlap (they were still solid, but both aloys tries were because the Knox backline defence failed to shut down an aloys overlap).

My Waverley sources regretted to inform me that they went down 46-0 to Barker today in case anybody was wondering. Hopefully the boys in red have got their confidence back for round 2 and can cause a few upsets to the top 2 sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.