• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Then is must be innuendo or off field stuff that does not add value to the forum. You choose which it is. I don't care. This is not a democracy. It is not to be posted on these forums

I am not spreading rumour . I agree with what you say but maybe I know

I am glad that you may know. Knowledge is power. Be powerful.
Keep it to yourself, or draw it to the attention of the appropriate authorities, not here.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
C
Was at the Barker vs. Cranbrook game today. What a great game of rugby! Spoilt by a totally inept referee and assistant referees. Cranbrook should be favourites for the Plume shield but why should a game be spoilt by a referee who gives 12 - 3 penalties to Cranbrook. Barker were outstanding today but had to play 16 men. It's now time that the referees show respect and impartiality to the teams. Summerhaze and reinten were outstanding for Cranbrook. The Barker no.8 was the player on the field. Smerdon and Campbell were outstanding. As soon as the 15 for Barker decides that he is not Greg ingles and runs the bloody ball he will be a total player because his defence is outstanding. Did Barker deserve to win? YES!
Criticism of referees is disrespectful and unfair and not in the spirit of true sportsmanship.
They are essential to the game and like the players do their best and it is really easy to play and referee from the sidelines!
Mistakes happen at every level but generally balance out for both teams

B

Bigmarn

C
Criticism of referees is disrespectful and unfair and not in the spirit of true sportsmanship.
They are essential to the game and like the players do their best and it is really easy to play and referee from the sidelines!
You're so right but as long as they are fair to both sides

B

Bigmarn

C
So you are ref are you?

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
I disagree with the comments about rep and club players - this accounts for junior development but for senior development any boy going to a high tier private school relies on school based coaching to fill the gap when they stop playing rep or club.

Some players play both but that's a minority due to risk of injury - so most rep or club players over 16 go to public schools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on this previous tweet, I wonder what the reaction of the school is supposed to be when their hard-earned money is spent on professionalising the sports program, including paying for an ex-international coach and a NZ rugby tour only to see their prime rugby team fall to the school teacher-coached team at Waverley.
This is not a gloat (well, perhaps a little) but merely yet another cautionary note that schoolboys aren't professionals so they don't play like professionals. The prospect of Waverley beating Knox would have appeared so remote as to be laughable given the disparity in resources and 2014 form but it happened. That is what is great about schoolboy rugby - teenage boys act and react like teenage boys so upsets are not uncommon.
It is also why I vigorously disagree with the type of professionalism that Knox is pursuing. The coach has now lost two in a row, so how does the school and rugby supporters club justify his enormous salary ? If he was a teacher then that's just the way it is and on Monday there's always the geography or history or maths to mark, but he's paid simply to coach and win and if you're not winning then surely questions must need to be asked about the purpose of a professional coach at schoolboy-level rugby ?
I didn't see the game and have been harsh on Waverley (with good reason) this year but I thought the result alone was marvellous. Old-style teacher/coaches with scant resources upsetting the professionalised silver tails from north of the bridge ? Love it !

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Brumbiejack - a "nail on the head" post. Well thought out and succinctly written.
the purpose of a professional coach at schoolboy-level rugby is two-fold: get results and encourage more parents to pay to send their sons to the school to benefit from the high profile rugby program. Poor results will see the same outcome as happened at Scots College in the late 2000's when a professional coach, Rod Cutler, only lasted two seasons.

S

sidelineview

Based on this previous tweet, I wonder what the reaction of the school is supposed to be when their hard-earned money is spent on professionalising the sports program, including paying for an ex-international coach and a NZ rugby tour only to see their prime rugby team fall to the school teacher-coached team at Waverley.
This is not a gloat (well, perhaps a little) but merely yet another cautionary note that schoolboys aren't professionals so they don't play like professionals. The prospect of Waverley beating Knox would have appeared so remote as to be laughable given the disparity in resources and 2014 form but it happened. That is what is great about schoolboy rugby - teenage boys act and react like teenage boys so upsets are not uncommon.
It is also why I vigorously disagree with the type of professionalism that Knox is pursuing. The coach has now lost two in a row, so how does the school and rugby supporters club justify his enormous salary ? If he was a teacher then that's just the way it is and on Monday there's always the geography or history or maths to mark, but he's paid simply to coach and win and if you're not winning then surely questions must need to be asked about the purpose of a professional coach at schoolboy-level rugby ?
I didn't see the game and have been harsh on Waverley (with good reason) this year but I thought the result alone was marvellous. Old-style teacher/coaches with scant resources upsetting the professionalised silver tails from north of the bridge ? Love it !

Why were you harsh on Waverley? you know the players and coaches were only foxing ! ....... but you've made some good points (and why not gloat just a little!)
It puts all this professional vs amateur coaching/recruitment/scholarship argument into perspective. It throws a bit of a spanner in the works; maybe it's cause for a bit of a rethink.
It also puts all the 'this year's Waverley 1sts are the worst team I've ever seen .... the coaches are out of their depth .. etc etc etc into perspective as well doesn't it?
It is schoolboy rugby and you can't put an old head on young shoulders; you can't give the boys a magic pill to stop them from getting a rush of blood on the field and making silly mistakes. You can't predict how they will react under pressure always; you can never underestimate how Aussies in general lift as underdogs and how much people love to see an underdog triumph.
It's called being human and there's only so much you can buy in this world. True?
The debate can go on and on ......
but it's good isnt it?
Woo hooo .......!!! go the Waves.

Ncfooty

Bob McCowan (2)
What each team will face for their next 5 games with final predictions as to standings in CAS.

Cranbrook - Look the hype for this school will stop now. I am sorry but i can not see them filling the true underdog story of predicted last comes first, undefeated and beating the antagonist knox. I am not sold on this team. If you were at the oval i was at when knox played cranbrook you will agree knox came in arrogant and expecting to win. Cranbrook did well, put them under the pump early and made Knox scared. Though knox broke through this and made it 12-0, and this is where Cranbrook broke the ice to win. They did not win this game, knox lost it. Cranbrook will loose to knox and at best be tied CAS premiers. AT BEST I think they will get the 4 wins unless an injury happens. I could see them being upset and loosing a game so they will finish with a record of 9-1 at best or 8-2 loosing a surprise game. But by all means cranbrook, please prove me wrong.

Knox - It was theirs for the taking. I had them pegged at the perfect 10-0 season though pure arrogance and cockiness cost them the game. They were the real deal, they were the team to beat. This team on paper is by far the best in CAS and they know that. They have some quality names in Widders leece, Pierce, van zyl and watson though have gone and royally screwed up the comp. At the beginning of the season could you have imagined the possibility of this scenario "Cranbrook tops CAS, knox comes second" or "Knox and Cranbrook joint premiers". Look knox, i still believe you have won this comp, though i think your loss to cranbrook should have been a wake up call. I predict knox will go 9-1 and win the competition regardless of cranbrooks status. Maybe im being harsh on my old school but boys the most important message is to bring it back to knoxy !!

Good pick mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldboy59

Stan Wickham (3)
Not being and old boy of either Waverley or Knox but i have to say the that game yesterday will mean so much to waverley kids. I was sitting in the stands at queens park and i was overhearing conversations the waverley kids were having before the game and they were laughing at their teams chances of winning, Knox had basically won all of the games played- alot of games were called off. It was really a david vs goliath. Seeing the waverley kids run onto the pitch after the game was something special that team with remember for a long time

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

The coach of who you speak has a proven record of failure. (Think Waratahs and Scotland.) I for one am not surprised at the lack of success.

And I agree wholeheartedly with what you say.:)

Brian Jones

Bob McCowan (2)
THe coach of Knox was not at fault on saturday it was the boys. Secondly i believe the Knox coach is on a 3 year plan and this is his 2nd year. Thirdly how can you starting pointing the gun at the Knox coach, Knox has won 4 games, 2 loses and placed 2nd on the ladder. His head should not be put on the chopping block. He is also there to develop the program for the whole school which has been a huge success.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
THe coach of Knox was not at fault on saturday it was the boys. Secondly i believe the Knox coach is on a 3 year plan and this is his 2nd year. Thirdly how can you starting pointing the gun at the Knox coach, Knox has won 4 games, 2 loses and placed 2nd on the ladder. His head should not be put on the chopping block. He is also there to develop the program for the whole school which has been a huge success.

By your logic Robbie Deans and Eddie Jones should have remained coaches of the Wallabies because it was the players' fault. They were employed to win and their team didn't so they got turfed. Same logic for professional coaches at schoolboy level.
Waverley came second the last three years with a maths teacher as the coach. He was employed as a maths teacher but also coached the firsts. The firsts not winning was disappointing but nobody pointed the gun at him because coaching was secondary and he was a good maths teacher. If you're employed simply to coach and you don't win, guess what. The market (Knox parents) will wonder why they're forking out money for someone doing a job that in other schools is done by a teacher.
Why does Knox need to pay big bucks for someone solely to coach only to achieve the same results as a maths teacher at Waverley ? I don't see the logic at all.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
BrumbieJack are you saying that Eddie Jones was an inadequate coach? Though Robbie deans was he did win a tri nations so your point is clearly floored.
But Matt williams has brought 4 wins and 2 losses.. Well done to that maths teacher but no one cares. Matt Williams is there to win a premiership but to DEVELOP the Knox rugby program. Additionally, I will restate this.. its a 3 year PLAN. At the moment he is doing considerably well considering its his 2nd year that the helm. So please get your facts straight.
To answer your question why knox pays the big bucks.. because they choose too, they can, and they want to have a successful future. Every school has the option to do what Knox does but they choose not to. These schools that choose not to will fall behind and eventually do the same. Look at GPS why do you think they are so successful compared to CAS. Knox is using a similar style to GPS and it seems to be working and will be. So cop that BrumbieJack

Very tetchy there Brian. How Knox chooses to spend their considerable money is their business, but please don't for a minute think that other schools will 'eventually do the same'.
Philosophically other schools (and the parents associated with those schools) see sport for what it is. A great past time, something to be nurtured and to be worked into the fabric of the school. But schools also exist for other reasons; to build a sense of obligation and service to others amongst the students and the teachers.
If you think forking out great wads of cash to try to purchase success (if you classify getting beaten by the team coming second last a success) then fair enough and more power to you. But every game you don't win against schools that persist with amateur teacher/coaches will surely raise that doubt in your minds as to whether money can buy loyalty or whether service to others is reward enough.
Give me a Waverley who wins occasionally with enthusiasm and loyalty to a school over one that wins because it thinks pouring financial and human resources equates to success. I thought Saturday's result was a great rugby outcome and a nice little life lesson for the boys. I am sure that the Knox boys gave their all but I wonder if they will ever think why they didn't win given the amount of resources they've been given ?

Status
Not open for further replies.