• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jass

Frank Row (1)
I was shocked to hear after the game the Knox parents calling the ref a "filthy cheat" saying that he was"disgusting and how he should be ashamed of himself" i think it was a fair refereed game and that the knox parents should be ashamed of what they said to the poor bloke refereeing. Makes me uncomfortable around the spectators

S

sidelineview

I was shocked as a parent myself to hear after the game the Knox parents calling the ref a "filthy cheat" saying that he was"disgusting and how he should be ashamed of himself" i think it was a fair refereed game and that the knox parents should be ashamed of what they said to the poor bloke refereeing. Makes me uncomfortable around the spectators

The ref acted as a result of the touch judges report and as far as I'm aware he was right. In the last minute of the game Knox were awarded a penalty within kicking distance. The kid who moved in to take the kick was a fresh replacement with a completely clean jersey on and must have been a good goal kicker, but he was the 15th player on the field for Knox. Waverley and Knox each had a player yellow carded and both should have had 14 players on the field.
The ref reversed the decision, Waverley kicked it out and then the ref blew the full time whistle.
Game over ... some Knox people blew up but Waverley people were busy celebrating.

Hugh Jass

Frank Row (1)
The ref acted as a result of the touch judges report and as far as I'm aware he was right. In the last minute of the game Knox were awarded a penalty within kicking distance. The kid who moved in to take the kick was a fresh replacement with a completely clean jersey on and must have been a good goal kicker, but he was the 15th player on the field for Knox. Waverley and Knox each had a player yellow carded and both should have had 14 players on the field.
The ref reversed the decision, Waverley kicked it out and then the ref blew the full time whistle.
Game over . some Knox people blew up but Waverley people were busy celebrating.
Exactly right.

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
By your logic Robbie Deans and Eddie Jones should have remained coaches of the Wallabies because it was the players' fault. They were employed to win and their team didn't so they got turfed. Same logic for professional coaches at schoolboy level.
Waverley came second the last three years with a maths teacher as the coach. He was employed as a maths teacher but also coached the firsts. The firsts not winning was disappointing but nobody pointed the gun at him because coaching was secondary and he was a good maths teacher. If you're employed simply to coach and you don't win, guess what. The market (Knox parents) will wonder why they're forking out money for someone doing a job that in other schools is done by a teacher.
Why does Knox need to pay big bucks for someone solely to coach only to achieve the same results as a maths teacher at Waverley ? I don't see the logic at all.

I think you'll find the old Waverley 'math's teacher' to be the ex-wallaby, Paul Cornish, debuting at centre for the 1990 Wallabies test vs France. Retiring due to an unfortunate neck injury sustained during a match I believe and going on to teach maths. Horribly unjust to refer to him as such.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think you'll find the old Waverley 'math's teacher' to be the ex-wallaby, Paul Cornish, debuting at centre for the 1990 Wallabies test vs France. Retiring due to an unfortunate neck injury sustained during a match I believe and going on to teach maths. Horribly unjust to refer to him as such.

And a great coach for waves boys - it's great to see the two new coaches this year have really stepped up and filled in such big shoes. Despite the odds they have created a team capable of such an amazing feat.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
Was at the Barker vs. Cranbrook game today. What a great game of rugby! Spoilt by a totally inept referee and assistant referees. Cranbrook should be favourites for the Plume shield but why should a game be spoilt by a referee who gives 12 - 3 penalties to Cranbrook. Barker were outstanding today but had to play 16 men. It's now time that the referees show respect and impartiality to the teams. Summerhaze and reinten were outstanding for Cranbrook. The Barker no.8 was the player on the field. Smerdon and Campbell were outstanding. As soon as the 15 for Barker decides that he is not Greg ingles and runs the bloody ball he will be a total player because his defence is outstanding. Did Barker deserve to win? YES!

Yes, I heard from an old friend that barker were robbed of a late try from the referee's call of held up when from his view it was a try (at least benefit of the doubt). As a Barker supporter this is of course frustrating and upsetting but I feel taking it out on the referee is a cop out. Barker had the opportunity to win the game, at this point they would have had a 5m scrum which they could have easily capitalised on. From what I know Cranbrook dominated in the scrums and set play, Barker still had a bit of a shaky line-out and Smerdon completely outplayed renton in general play (Renton was good in defence and his kicking was exceptional as always).

Many years ago, when I was a very young lad and playing soccer - a time of my life I'm not particularly proud of - out in parramatta in a grand final fixture, there was a very dubious decision, on the referees part, to award a goal in sudden death penalty shoot-out. I had personally taken the penalty and I can say that to this day I'm not sure if that ball had crossed the line or not but from my position I wouldn't have awarded it. We automatically won the game after this decision and it lead to one of the most beautiful display of sportsmanship I've ever seen. The goalkeeper of the other side took his gloves off, walked up to me and shook my hand gave me a wink and said "jeez that could have gone either way", went over to the referee and shook their hands also and then proceeded, with his team to address the rest of my fellow team mates. Not a single complaint made from their side was made. Following the game there was a presentation and each coach spoke. The other teams coach was either of middle eastern or mediterranean decent and was so deeply passionate about his soccer, that he was tearing up about his u12's side loss. Yet, despite this mans frustration with the referee's decision that ultimately robbed his side of at least a fair chance of winning, he came out with what is, to this day, one of my favourite expressions I've ever heard. In broken English he managed to say "Sadly, in this beautiful game, someone must be winner, and someone must be loser, and today we lost to the better side".

So, yes, sometimes the referee isn't your friend. But, for the majority of boys who aren't looking to be the next Israel Filou or Kurtley Beale or John Eales or whoever your favourite past time is, schoolboy rugby is more about building character than about winning and there is much more to say of a side who walks off that field with their heads high, accepting defeat graciously despite some crucial calls not going in their favour, and knowing that they did their best to win. Good on the Barker boys for coming back from an absolute flogging last time they played Brook to finish only 6 behind against a full strength Cranbrook side that had all the confidence in the world coming off their recent success. Makes me wish they did 3 rounds in this comp

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
I was shocked as a parent myself to hear after the game the Knox parents calling the ref a "filthy cheat" saying that he was"disgusting and how he should be ashamed of himself" i think it was a fair refereed game and that the knox parents should be ashamed of what they said to the poor bloke refereeing. Makes me uncomfortable around the spectators

Hmm, Knox players didn't conduct themselves like angels either. Either the no.6 or no.7 for Knox was carded or subbed (can't remember) he came off in a swearing frenzy and you could hear it in the stands. Also on an occasion in the early second half when the Knox 6 or 7 again broke away with the ball down the blind side straight from the scrum, which is illegal (only no.8 or no.9 can directly from scrum) and he went on to score a try which was ultimately denied and that decision lead to the scuffle and burst of swearing from the players. Satisfactory performance from Knox. Determined Waverley side and good on the boys for showing the rest of the CAS that they're not the pushovers for the rest. Waverley till' I die!

Hugh Jass

Frank Row (1)
Hmm, Knox players didn't conduct themselves like angels either. Either the no.6 or no.7 for Knox was carded or subbed (can't remember) he came off in a swearing frenzy and you could hear it in the stands. Also on an occasion in the early second half when the Knox 6 or 7 again broke away with the ball down the blind side straight from the scrum, which is illegal (only no.8 or no.9 can directly from scrum) and he went on to score a try which was ultimately denied and that decision lead to the scuffle and burst of swearing from the players. Satisfactory performance from Knox. Determined Waverley side and good on the boys for showing the rest of the CAS that they're not the pushovers for the rest. Waverley till' I die!
Great all round performance by the mighty Waves!

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)

Absolutely correct. But the point is he is employed as a maths teacher and also coaches (albeit with a more impressive playing degree than most). He is now coaching the 15As which shows what you get from someone committed to the school and not just to a coaching contract.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Good to see a lot if close games in the CAS rugby competition (unlike the GPS arms race)
That's what makes it a great comp - any team can beat any team - and it's been like this most years.
It's up to the members of each team and each week can be different if one team is a bit off and another clicks then ...

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
Absolutely correct. But the point is he is employed as a maths teacher and also coaches (albeit with a more impressive playing degree than most). He is now coaching the 15As which shows what you get from someone committed to the school and not just to a coaching contract.

Reflects in the 15a's form at the moment. I believe they beat Knox the first time in all there years in schoolboy rugby in the a's of that age group, and this weekend they were on track for an undefeated season? but were robbed of a denied 'double movement' try, sore losers Knox.

rtd32

Larry Dwyer (12)
How Knox chooses to spend their considerable money is their business, but please don't for a minute think that other schools will 'eventually do the same'.

Philosophically other schools (and the parents associated with those schools) see sport for what it is. A great past time, something to be nurtured and to be worked into the fabric of the school. But schools also exist for other reasons; to build a sense of obligation and service to others amongst the students and the teachers.

Give me a Waverley who wins occasionally with enthusiasm and loyalty to a school over one that wins because it thinks pouring financial and human resources equates to success. I thought Saturday's result was a great rugby outcome and a nice little life lesson for the boys. I am sure that the Knox boys gave their all but I wonder if they will ever think why they didn't win given the amount of resources they've been given ?

As a third party, I'm tired of seeing all this commentary on Knox's coach and their balance sheet.

First point, yes how Knox chooses to spend their 'considerable' money is of course their own business, so I genuinely don't see point in commenting on the matter.

Your second point, why is it that because Knox spend more money on their coach that they all of a sudden don't see sport for what it is? This is a blatantly unfair statement and not backed by any genuine evidence - nor can it be. Further, in my opinion school is primarily about education isn't it? I send my kids to school to learn. In light of this, I think you'll find that Knox do an exceptionally good job of maintaining a good academic record. In terms of "building a sense of obligation and service to others amongst the students and the teachers" I don't see how anything you have said would suggest that Knox does not, in any way, achieve this - or that they achieve this to a poorer standard than any other CAS school.

Again, with your final comment, you insinuate that Waverley boys automatically have more loyalty to their school than Knox boys simply because of their financial circumstances. Have you ever attended a Knox vs Barker game? If you had I'm sure you'd find a number of old boys returning, as I managed to, from over 40 years ago. Does Waverley have the same 'loyalty' to their school's rugby program?

I think you'll find that most CAS school's are on par when it comes to values - sure, the schools have their differences across the board when it comes to sport program, academic programs, and extra-curricular programs (and how heavily weighted the funding for each of these are) but these are minor discrepancies. I don't see the necessity in constantly bringing up a schools decision to spend a large sum of money on their coaching program when it is undoubtedly a benefit to the Knox boys for them to do so. Whether the benefit is worth the expense is Knox's business and the parents of Knox students business.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
As a third party, I'm tired of seeing all this commentary on Knox's coach and their balance sheet.

First point, yes how Knox chooses to spend their 'considerable' money is of course their own business, so I genuinely don't see point in commenting on the matter.

Your second point, why is it that because Knox spend more money on their coach that they all of a sudden don't see sport for what it is? This is a blatantly unfair statement and not backed by any genuine evidence - nor can it be. Further, in my opinion school is primarily about education isn't it? I send my kids to school to learn. In light of this, I think you'll find that Knox do an exceptionally good job of maintaining a good academic record. In terms of "building a sense of obligation and service to others amongst the students and the teachers" I don't see how anything you have said would suggest that Knox does not, in any way, achieve this - or that they achieve this to a poorer standard than any other CAS school.

Again, with your final comment, you insinuate that Waverley boys automatically have more loyalty to their school than Knox boys simply because of their financial circumstances. Have you ever attended a Knox vs Barker game? If you had I'm sure you'd find a number of old boys returning, as I managed to, from over 40 years ago. Does Waverley have the same 'loyalty' to their school's rugby program?

I think you'll find that most CAS school's are on par when it comes to values - sure, the schools have their differences across the board when it comes to sport program, academic programs, and extra-curricular programs (and how heavily weighted the funding for each of these are) but these are minor discrepancies. I don't see the necessity in constantly bringing up a schools decision to spend a large sum of money on their coaching program when it is undoubtedly a benefit to the Knox boys for them to do so. Whether the benefit is worth the expense is Knox's business and the parents of Knox students business.

You are right in saying that where they spend their money is their business, but they are part of an association so it has the potential to impact on others. Those of us whose schools choose not to go down that path should be free to point out the flaws in such an approach too rugby when it doesn't produce the results they are looking for.
It's a key issue for the CAS to see whether throwing money at an issue 'fixes' it - if other schools go down that path then it has the potential to destroy the competition by creating a group of haves and another of have nots.
That's why I think Saturday's result was an important one for the CAS as a whole - it may cause people to think that money doesn't necessarily equate to success and perhaps a level playing field can be maintained by avoiding the professionalisation of the sport. What a great advertisement for the game to think that schools who don't throw money around can match it with those that do. Personally I think it is a very important issue to be discussed on a blog like this. If schools don't feel comfortable having those they play against commenting on their approach in a measured and articulate manner then that is unfortunate.
The lack of any commentary on the actual game also means that I am able to comment on the result only.

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
When a team spends more money on its coaching team but loses a close game to a team that spends less on its coaching team, it's very easy to jump to the conclusion that the former team has spent unwisely.

This is not necessarily true and there are many variables which could result in a favourite losing, most notably that these are school boys playing rugby. These are not professional players that turn up for the dollar. These are school boys under the age of 18.

The only other thing that I would like to add to this discussion is to ask what the impact was of Knox having so many of its first XV in the CAS rep teams. Surely, with the training sessions and the extra game(s), this more likely than not had an impact on their performance against Waverley.

This takes nothing away from the performance of Waverley on the day, who I am sure played with pride and passion. It is to remember that these are only school boys playing a game that they love.

S

sidelineview

When a team spends more money on its coaching team but loses a close game to a team that spends less on its coaching team, it's very easy to jump to the conclusion that the former team has spent unwisely.

This is not necessarily true and there are many variables which could result in a favourite losing, most notably that these are school boys playing rugby. These are not professional players that turn up for the dollar. These are school boys under the age of 18.

The only other thing that I would like to add to this discussion is to ask what the impact was of Knox having so many of its first XV in the CAS rep teams. Surely, with the training sessions and the extra game(s), this more likely than not had an impact on their performance against Waverley.

This takes nothing away from the performance of Waverley on the day, who I am sure played with pride and passion. It is to remember that these are only school boys playing a game that they love.

Please don't go down that road; some Waverley boys played CAS seconds, U16s South Harbour and trained more as well. 7 players to be exact. Some also play league on Sundays and train with those teams during the week. It's no excuse.
Knox didn't just have an off day or were tired and run down and should have been having a rest.
Waverley didn't just play with 'pride and passion', although they did.
Waverley outplayed Knox; won the contest.
The Knox players didn't drop the ball because they were tired; the Waverley players were up in their faces defending strongly. Knox didn't give penalties away because they needed a lie down; Waverley bustled them, forced them into errors and they lost their discipline. Knox didn't miss tackles because they should have been at home wrapped in cotton wool with their Mums feeding them soup; Waverley never stopped going forward and found gaps through their defensive line. 2 tries each.
You can only play as well as the opposition lets you and Knox were beaten by a better team on the day. Waverley were tougher.
Fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.