• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Would have thought that a few more boys from the Brook would have made the cut given their performances to date in the CAS competition.

Funny old thing Schoolboy rep footy and selections.
CHS get belted by ISA, and beaten by CAS but scare the AAGPS.
CAS beat CHS, lose honourably to AAGPS, and nearly beat ISA.
ISA flog CHS, but struggle to beat CAS.

9 ISA, vs 7 CHS and CAS reps seem about right. 22 AAGPS, hmmm.
Scots dominating AAGPS (so far) get only 4 reps.

There is sometimes something more than just scoreboard results that the Selectors see (or don't see).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I tend to look more at starters rather than squad members.
A bench player in NSW 1's are the last to be picked,and are treated that way.
They get minimum time only,unless there are injuries.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kirkby is injured. Is is bad enough to keep him out of the Nationals?

I think Smerdon played well enough yesterday to get a starting berth, as did Summerhayes but there are some very good loose forwards in this cohort.

I know that plenty of boys have gone from NSW Shadow to the Combined States Selection.
I haven't paid attention in the past whether Bench NSW have been selected to starting Combined States positions. That could be a possibility.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No, it's one of those things.
The 3rd & 4th rated players get minimum time off the bench for NSW.
The 5th rated player starts with the CS side,and gets more than double the game time.
I have no solution,just identifying an anomaly.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
True. I guess the most important thing is that the boys are "on the radar".

There is often a cigarette papers width between many of the boys challenging for certain positions, and I reckon that this is the case for the 6-8 jumper.

Having got "on the radar", Colts will be a great leveller, always has been, always will be.

Plenty of kids without Aust Schoolboys on their CV go on to be Wallabies/Soup players, and many who do make Schoolboys, peak at that level.

S

sidelineview

U16s CAS 62 defeated AICES 0
Tries to M.Basson(K) 2, T.Bailey(W) 2, L.Bosch(K) 2, J.Yoannidis(W) 1, E.Micallef(W) 1, J.Wayland(T) 1, P.Slaven(A) 1.
Goals: L.Bosch(K) 4/7; R.Longville(T) 2/3.

Ncfooty

Bob McCowan (2)
I don't understand how players like Kirkby and van Zyl can play only 1 rep game of footy and walk into the nsw sides when players like Makas (8) and Harrison (9) both put in dominant performances throughout the rep period. There must be some kind of bias going on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That result will make the selector bias pretty obvious when the NSW under 16 team is announced!
I don't hold out much hope for more CAS players picked than GPS in the NSW Schools team.
On the basis of 1 point how many do you think would reflect the difference? Or did you not see the game?
Don't forget the SJRU horse trading will make it unclear who was rated where.
Nearly everyone in MNZ played so it's complicated.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
Proba
On the basis of 1 point how many do you think would reflect the difference? Or did you not see the game?
Don't forget the SJRU horse trading will make it unclear who was rated where.
Nearly everyone in MNZ played so it's complicated.
probably a bit simplistic to base selection ratios on points ratios but an overwhelming majority from one group would be unbalanced and give the wrong impression

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Proba
probably a bit simplistic to base selection ratios on points ratios but an overwhelming majority from one group would be unbalanced and give the wrong impression

I agree but i don't see why you would assume anything about the makeup of the team at this stage or that a 1 point difference means anything, particularly given the horse trading that is yet to come.
I would think assessments are made on more than one game so measuring the selections against one game is not fair on the boys or the selectors.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I don't know much about the guys who got picked, but I'm surprised a couple more Cranbrook guys didn't get a look in (particularly 8. Makas, and potentially the loosehead and one of the wingers). The proof's in the pudding, some of those guys can play a bit of footy.

Can't pick everyone though, and it's a big old state.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't know much about the guys who got picked, but I'm surprised a couple more Cranbrook guys didn't get a look in (particularly 8. Makas, and potentially the loosehead and one of the wingers). The proof's in the pudding, some of those guys can play a bit of footy.

Can't pick everyone though, and it's a big old state.

Good for Brook though as these guys will be fit and raring to go in the last 4 games of the comp.

Uncle-Iroh

Frank Row (1)
CAS VS GPS 16's

The boys in the CAS team truly showed how playing together as a team, wearing the red jersey with pride and not playing for selection in the NSW schools side was the determining factor in their courageous win yesterday afternoon over a well fitted GPS side. After coming from behind at the half the CAS boys dug deep from a two try deficit (GPS scored first in the second half) dominating the GPS side in the forwards and then giving the backs the go forward needed to gain field position and space. In turn after a try already being scored by Tyzac Jordan (W) going short side off of a scrum on the GPS line, a few minutes later Matthew Dainton (A) was able to cross over the chalk after making a line break in between the GPS 10 and 12 Chanel. With the conversion slotted by Leo Bosch (K) the score line was to represent a great match of schoolboy rugby 22-21.

It was truly a remarkable team effort with all the boys playing at 100%'the whole way through and was a portrayal of what it means to wear that red jersey and the difference it makes when playing as a team. It really looked as though the boys had been playing together for years the way they played, even though only having two training sessions prior to the competition. This was also not to be a crack at the GPS side, I thought they played marvellously being led by a second rower in the Kings first XV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
CAS VS GPS 16's

The boys in the CAS team truly showed how playing together as a team, wearing the red jersey with pride and not playing for selection in the NSW schools side was the determining factor in their courageous win yesterday afternoon over a well fitted GPS side. After coming from behind at the half the CAS boys dug deep from a two try deficit (GPS scored first in the second half) dominating the GPS side in the forwards and then giving the backs the go forward needed to gain field position and space. In turn after a try already being scored by Tyzac Jordan (W) going short side off of a scrum on the GPS line, a few minutes later Matthew Dainton (A) was able to cross over the chalk after making a line break in between the GPS 10 and 12 Chanel. With the conversion slotted by Leo Bosch (K) the score line was to represent a great match of schoolboy rugby 22-21.

It was truly a remarkable team effort with all the boys playing at 100%'the whole way through and was a portrayal of what it means to wear that red jersey and the difference it makes when playing as a team. It really looked as though the boys had been playing together for years the way they played, even though only having two training sessions prior to the competition. This was also not to be a crack at the GPS side, I thought they played marvellously being led by a second rower in the Kings first XV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its Tyzac Bailey.
Dainton's try was scored between the GPS #1 and the 10 and it was from a maul/ruck.
Other than that we were watching the same game.

S

sidelineview

It was a great team effort from CAS 16s. It didn't look good for them at half time, and then GPS scored first in the 2nd half. It was inspirational the way they came from behind to win. A gutsy effort against a very good team.
The NSW selectors should be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.