• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyfanatic91

Stan Wickham (3)
Cranbrook 1st XV for the weekend
1. Tom Hill
2. Charlie Banks
3. Alexander Rathie
4. Will Stenmark
5. Langton McCombe
6. James Shipway (in for Mahoney inj against Scots)
7. Hugh Summerhays
8. Nick Makas
9. Roy Harrison
10. Sam Renton
11. Felix Studdy
12. Angus Mcniven
13. Stu Guihot (in for Carrol inj against Scots)
14. Zac Edelstein
15. Tom Wilson

2 very debatable changes there. Im tipping Waverley by 5, If Cranbrook can't seriously pull there finger out.

With Barker to beat allos by 15+ and Knox to put a cricket score on trinity. Should be a very exciting round of footy.

BigKev

Stan Wickham (3)
Good weekend coming up, plenty of upset opportunities.
Cranbrook might be a bit shaken after Scots and have niggles in key players but are still undefeated in CAS, they've got the means across the park to get over a Waverley outfit that did beat Knox, albeit a month ago. Cranbrook by 25.
Aloys v Barker should be the match of the round. 3 tries to nil last time but a few differences in this lead up. Aloys is at home and it seems their combinations are much more set having beaten Trinity. Before they got their first win Aloys experimented with several combinations in the backs and forwards and not because of injury. Barker probably still favourites with their classy halves but the score won't be 21-0. I'm picking Aloys in a tight one with a fired up home crowd. Aloys by 7.
Knox v Trinity. Knox's season is on the line which might be what they need to click into gear. Trinity has had a rough year, no thanks to injury, but its rare in a CAS season that each side doesn't have at least one memorable or upset win. Still thoroughly picking Knox in this one, a star studded team to be a class above but wouldn't be surprised by a tight one. Knox by 20.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cranbrook 24 Waverley 12 after Waverley led for much of the game. Best for Cranbrook were Summerhayes, Makas and locks Stenmark and McCombe; for Waverley, Bailey, Carr and (except for his 10 in the bin) Cardassilaris.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
More penalties in the Cranbrook-Waverley game than I've seen for years - a combination of poor discipline by both sides and pedantic (though fair and accurate) refereeing.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There has been a huge improvement by Waverley since some big losses at the start of the season. Well done to the boys and the coaches, they've obviously put some hard work in and turned their season right around.

Artbeet

Frank Nicholson (4)
More penalties in the Cranbrook-Waverley game than I've seen for years - a combination of poor discipline by both sides and pedantic (though fair and accurate) refereeing.

Yes another refs display that will keep the crowds awat from rugby. Pedantic and wrong. Penalising a scrum for collapsing as they had the other scrum back pedalling bemusing.
Great d from Wave s their line out terrible then kept giving the ball away with inane chip kicks. Not enough valuing of possession by either team

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Does anyone know the record for the most tries in a CAS season? Whatever it was Widders-Leece must surely have broken it now.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Rugby Addict reported to me that Aloys was ahead 17-7 with 15 minutes to go and later wrote, amongst other things, that:

Aloys were able to repel everything Barker threw at them.
So I think he means that 17-7 to Aloys was the final score.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Observations from joeys view game

Given there were several Aussie schoolboys, thought I'd focus a bit on them .. Both 10s played great ... O'shea despite some extensive arm strapping played great including a solo effort in the corner, beating 4 defenders

Mcgregor equally played at what I would call an Aussie school standard

Henry Hutchinson , not so sure ....was down with different injuries and eventually left the field ...he did have moments of brilliance and definitely has pace, but certainly think his height, or lack thereof makes me wonder how he will go in nz

Have now seen him monstered in a few games

If he could pass both ways I'd be trying to convert him to a scrum half

The joeys half plays that pest role ... Didn't really do anything wrong but wouldn't of even noticed him unless I knew to look out for him

The joeys 15 , I forget his name , stood out more, great broken field runner ...although he didn't look a confident goal kicker ... Might be a problem if joeys gets some closer matches

As in recent years thought joeys forwards struggled to bend the line in a convincing fashion ... Only the number 8 dented ... The replacement 16 played well

View front row was dominant and the loosies were good at breakdown

Freeman is back to his best and rate his temperament

My points
Joeys
3 Connor o'shea
2 number 15
1 number 16

View points
3 mcgregor
2 view front row
1 freeman

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ps does that joeys scoreboard have the ability to show video? Didn't seem to, show anything other than results .... Which looked dominant across all age groups, except maybe 14s ...

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
Rugby Addict reported to me that Aloys was ahead 17-7 with 15 minutes to go and later wrote, amongst other things, that:

Aloys were able to repel everything Barker threw at them.
So I think he means that 17-7 to Aloys was the final score.

Correct, final score 17-7 Aloys.

AllYouHux

Frank Row (1)
Good weekend coming up, plenty of upset opportunities.
Cranbrook might be a bit shaken after Scots and have niggles in key players but are still undefeated in CAS, they've got the means across the park to get over a Waverley outfit that did beat Knox, albeit a month ago. Cranbrook by 25.
Aloys v Barker should be the match of the round. 3 tries to nil last time but a few differences in this lead up. Aloys is at home and it seems their combinations are much more set having beaten Trinity. Before they got their first win Aloys experimented with several combinations in the backs and forwards and not because of injury. Barker probably still favourites with their classy halves but the score won't be 21-0. I'm picking Aloys in a tight one with a fired up home crowd. Aloys by 7.
Knox v Trinity. Knox's season is on the line which might be what they need to click into gear. Trinity has had a rough year, no thanks to injury, but its rare in a CAS season that each side doesn't have at least one memorable or upset win. Still thoroughly picking Knox in this one, a star studded team to be a class above but wouldn't be surprised by a tight one. Knox by 20.

3/3 Spot on big kev mate, what's your call for next weeks fixtures?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
This forum has really gone quiet is it because all the year 12 boys on here are too busy with exams ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
This forum has really gone quiet is it because all the year 12 boys on here are too busy with exams ?

Just a wild guess, but it may be because the competition is all but done and dusted. It's hard to see Cranbrook losing more than one of its last three games, which means that there's not huge interest in the outcome of the competition.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Just a wild guess, but it may be because the competition is all but done and dusted. It's hard to see Cranbrook losing more than one of its last three games, which means that there's not huge interest in the outcome of the competition.

The best thing in CAS is that this probably won't happen but still COULD happen - meaning I'm still excited for the last few rounds

The Cranbrook boys will appreciate a premiership so I how they get there in the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Since Scythe is so keen to chat, let's consider Cranbrook. How can they be beaten?

First: you won't beat them up front. Waverley was hugely competitive everywhere last Saturday except in the set pieces, where they didn't turn up at all. I think Waverley won three line-outs all day, and routinely lost their own throw. Cranbrook was also dominant at scrum time. Try not to let them dominate, but don't expect to win here.

But there were three big weaknesses in the Cranbrook game. First, the breakdown. They missed Mahony here. Makas spent a lot of time standing outside the centres. Summerhayes is outstanding, of course: he usually gets to the breakdown, but takes inspiration from Richie McCaw and often infringes. There are penalties to be won if you can get to the breakdown fast. It seems counter-intuitive because individually the Cranbrook back rowers are really good, but this season they have conceded plenty of penalties (and yellow cards) at the breakdown. Challenge them there. Take the points when they're available (Waverley led for much of the game without ever looking like scoring a try).

Also on Saturday, their kicking in general play was woeful. There were several kicks banged out on the full, and some aimless kicking down field. So - put pressure on the kickers, and there's free possession to be picked up.

Finally, against Waverley, the backline didn't have much to offer from first-phase ball or when the defensive line was otherwise set. The main tactic seemed to be to run No 8 Makas at the Waverley centres, who did a good job containing him, on the whole. A lot of the time, when the ball was in the backs, it moved laterally, with big loopy passes and no-one trying to straighten. When the two centres, McNiven and Guihot, did run straight, they were determined but had no penetration to offer - they didn't break the line at all. Under pressure (and sometimes even without pressure), there were numerous poor passes thrown. Harrison, the scrum half, tossed an alarming number of Harbour Bridge passes (he did redeem himself with an excellent solo try). Apart from Harrison's snipe, I think the only time Cranbrook's backs split the defence was when Renton ran through a huge gap in the first half. In fairness, the Cranbrook backs looked more dangerous in broken play, especially running back the possession Waverley kicked away.

So, my advice (to Trinity, this week) would be: be fast to the breakdown, get up to put pressure on the kickers, and get up fast in defence on the backs, especially from set play. I guess it boils down to applying pressure. There are vulnerabilities to be exploited there. That said, I doubt that Trinity has the cattle to pull it off.

Last point: Cranbrook also has admirable strengths. I'm not knocking them at all. Just saying how I'd approach playing them if I were coaching.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
But there were three big weaknesses in the Cranbrook game. First, the breakdown. They missed Mahony here. Makas spent a lot of time standing outside the centres. Summerhayes is outstanding, of course: he usually gets to the breakdown, but takes inspiration from Richie McCaw and often infringes. There are penalties to be won if you can get to the breakdown fast. It seems counter-intuitive because individually the Cranbrook .

Excellent analysis, snort ... Didn't see the game but Mahony has been a big part of cranbrook success .... I'd call him an unsung hero ..... And definitely his work rate would have been missed.

One observation I would make about schoolboy rugby is you tend to have 3 or 4 players (max) in a team that are point scorers and the rest haven't got points in them .... So generally an important part of a game plan is to try and shut down a few key players

Earlier in the year knox shut down makas and Renton very well ... But edelstein proved the difference

It is a shame the cas and gps doesn't have scores/tables (for the younger age groups), like exists with junior rugby , on Buddha... As I am sure there are a few good clashes left in the cas season, that will decide who wins lower A groups

For instance not clear on whether waverley has the 14as and 15as sewn up? And who are contenders for 16as?

Status
Not open for further replies.