• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
OK, this weekend.

As my old coach used to say, in less enlightened times, "oh good, let the Catholics beat each other up this Saturday". My best guess is that Waverley will win at home over St Aloysius, based on home ground advantage and Waverley's recent improvement.

Since the last time they played Trinity, Barker has lost three in a row. Trinity hasn't won in that time either, but will be pumped up by its strong showing against Cranbrook. This one is too close to call. I think Barker will just get up, but it should be tight.

Which leaves the match of the day between Cranbrook and Knox. In its last two games, Knox has run in 108 points. It's the battle between the strongest attacking side in the competition, and the meanest defence. My instinct is that Cranbrook's unbeaten run comes to an end at Wahroonga at about 4.40 on Saturday. Why? Cranbrook have been made to work hard by Waverley and Trinity in recent weeks and seem vulnerable. That plus Widders-Leeve and Watson, both in hot form. And Knox home advantage (note to Cranbrook boys - I know it seems like another country, but really you don't need to bring your passports along to cross the Harbour Bridge).

All that said, I'm a lousy tipster. All three games could go either way.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I don't know if this is just me but why talk about the positives when the purpose of your post is trying to address a weak point in a team? Sure, if you're giving a general team review and all you highlight is the negatives, or if you're giving a match report and you pick out everything that was done wrong, then it becomes a problem.

But if a post is discussing a weak point in a team, e.g. Waverley's kicking strategy, then you can't really criticize someone for highlighting the negatives since that's what the whole post is about. And you can't downpla the achievements of a team when you don't mention any.

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
Looking at the draw for this weekend Trinity are only fielding 2 teams in each of the u16s, u15s, and u14s. According to the MySchools web site Trinity has 1988 boys enrolled (Barker have 1599 boys).

Didn't realize rugby was so unpopular at Trinity

BigKev

Stan Wickham (3)
Intriguing round coming up, should be classic just like the corresponding fixtures in round 1. Knox's season is technically still alive, how far will the revivals of Waverley and Aloysius go and how badly do Trinity want to win?

Knox v Cranbrook
I tipped Knox in round 1 and I'll do it again now. So many weapons across the park and, as someone on this thread has said, the two matches they have lost were by 3 and 2 points respectively. Cranbrook defence has been highlighted many times but I feel Knox really isn't far, if at all, off the pace. Cranbrook's attack has slowed since their booming start to the season yet Knox's Widders-Leece and Watson are putting on plenty of tries each week. Highly subjective opinion, I know, but the crunch factor is there's no arguing the home ground advantage Knox has in this must-win game. Should be a top class battle of the five-eights too. Knox by 8

Barker v Trinity
Barker won a close one last time but also beat Aloys and Waverley to lose in round 2. Both teams are really due a win but after Trinity's performance against Cranbrook I think they'll take this one. Smeardon to be a danger but the Trinity forwards to be too much up front. Trinity by 4

Waverley v Aloysius
Waverley have turned their season on it's head and just may have overshadowed the turnaround Aloys have performed too. Great work by both schools in achieving this. Aloys was roughed up by Knox last week and might be a little weary heading to Queens Park, which is always a factor. I really like the way these schools play, very gutsy, very underdog, which might be the Achilles heel if one side goes in as a dominant favourite. I think Waverley will win a tight one, especially considering Aloys is missing their talented 12 Sam Lawson, who has been a revelation this year to the point of being a late CAS call up. Interesting to note both of these sides are very young, plenty of year 10s and 11s runnings around. Waverley by 10 in the third tight match of the round.

AllYouHux

Frank Row (1)
A great weekend of footy coming up.

Barker VS Trinity

A clash between the two most underperforming sides this season. There is a lot to prove in this fixture for both sides. Trinity looked strong in their last run around the paddock against the undefeated Cranbrook, and will be carrying some much needed confidence onto the park this weekend. On the contrary, Barker is coming off a lackluster last 3 rounds and need to win this fixture to avoid a 3-7 season (the worst showing by a Barker side since 2009). In a game that could go either way, I’m tipping an equal amount of tries but Barker to take the win.

Knox VS Cranbrook

I don’t think this game will be as close as everyone thinks it will be. Knox have seriously hit their stride in the last few weeks and Cranbrook seem to be down on form and personnel. With the home ground advantage and 108 points in the last 2 games I’m picking Knox by 15.

Waverley VS Aloysius

Another game that is so hard to call. Both of these sides have turned their seasons around and are playing with a newfound confidence. If anything is to decide it, it will be the home ground advantage for Waverley. Waverley more than any other school utilize the advantage of their home ground, Death Valley. However, Waverley’s kicking game has been criticized for its imprecision, whereas the form of A10 James Dainton has been second to none, in particular with regard to his kicking game. In a game this tight, territory will be king.
Aloysius by 3

S

sidelineview

I don't know if this is just me but why talk about the positives when the purpose of your post is trying to address a weak point in a team? Sure, if you're giving a general team review and all you highlight is the negatives, or if you're giving a match report and you pick out everything that was done wrong, then it becomes a problem.

But if a post is discussing a weak point in a team, e.g. Waverley's kicking strategy, then you can't really criticize someone for highlighting the negatives since that's what the whole post is about. And you can't downpla the achievements of a team when you don't mention any.

It was a general view, not just about kicking. Read his original post. Constructive criticism, yes. A rant highlighting everything that's negative, no.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Kicking is fine if its in the team game plan and everyone knows when and where on the field it's going to happen...& the designated chasers know when to expect the kick. An effective chase & tackle creates potential turnover ball or a penalty.Everyone has to be on the same page.

What I'd really love to see is the Waverley Backline function more as a unit and back themselves more with the ball in Attack

Great analysis OpenSide ... I reckon that is the simple style of rugby that Scots plays ... and agree the likes of Waverley should look at their kicking game

so much kicking in schoolboy rugby, is really just giving back possession to the opposition,

the modern football is very easy to catch, and defending the return play isn't done well, when their is no chase, or it is unexpected

however you are quite right (OPenside) running the ball from inside the 22, requires confidence in yourself and your ability to hold onto possession

so reason I am tipping Knox by a fair margin is Cranbrook's kicking game ... not great

...and I think Waves will run right over Aloys, as they are starting to learn from their prior errors , and Aloys won't like Death Valley :confused:

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looking at the draw for this weekend Trinity are only fielding 2 teams in each of the u16s, u15s, and u14s. According to the MySchools web site Trinity has 1988 boys enrolled (Barker have 1599 boys).

Didn't realize rugby was so unpopular at Trinity

I wouldn't say Rugby is unpopular. I'd say that football/soccer is very popular. Why? Demographics. Trinity is in the inner west, and draws its students from areas of Sydney in which soccer is the sport of choice, largely because of the migrant backgrounds involved in many cases. Trinity Rugby has wrestled with this issue since soccer was introduced to the school in 1975.

S

sidelineview

Kicking is fine if its in the team game plan and everyone knows when and where on the field it's going to happen.& the designated chasers know when to expect the kick. An effective chase & tackle creates potential turnover ball or a penalty.Everyone has to be on the same page.

(SonnyDillW) Great analysis OpenSide . I reckon that is the simple style of rugby that Scots plays . and agree the likes of Waverley should look at their kicking game

so much kicking in schoolboy rugby, is really just giving back possession to the opposition,

If a chip kick comes off, it's a genius move; if it doesn't 'it wasn't in the game plan' and shouldn't have been attempted.
If a grubber kick over the try line and behind the advancing defensive line (a la league) is weighted right and a try results, again, it's a genius move. If it goes too far and doesn't come off the player is a dill.
If a kick down field to the corner stops short of the try line and inside the side line (with a good chase), forcing the fullback to retrieve and kick it out from an acute angle, it's a great kick to gain possession and field position. If it goes over the try line or falls too short, the player 'kicks too much'.

There is too much kicking in some games from some teams, but it all depends..... I like to see players back themselves in all aspects of the game.

I saw Mark Ella play a Test for Australia at the SCG and snap a field goal from just inside the half way and sideline. The crowd went crazy, such entertainment. If that had been Ella's first Test and he missed ... ?

doublev

Frank Row (1)
I'm a recent Forum follower and this is my first post.
I've read a lot of comments here about the supposed weakness in Waverley's Rugby talent in this year's 1st & 2nd XV teams.As a Waverley Dad,former player and Level 2 Coach I'd like to provide some facts and highlight the true issues.
The talent is there and has always been there.however,the Coaching Program (or lack thereof) is quite weak this year.
In 2008, Waverley Prep 1sts were UNDEFEATED including a victory over Riverview who have developed into a strong GPS 1st XV team.That Waverley team is now in Yr 12. A lot can change in 6 seasons.
Players from that talented team who have since left Waverley for various reasons include:
Connor O'Shea - St Josephs (Aust Schools 2014 Flyhalf)
Jacob Ticehurst - St Josephs (Track & Field Athlete & Winger)
Matt Serhon - Newington (NSW 2's 2014,NSW 1's 2013 Hooker / Prop)
Nick Makas - Cranbrook (CAS 1sts 2014 No: 8)
Will Ball - Newington (GPS Blue 2014 Winger / Full Back)
Michael Kambas - Newington 1st XV / 2nd XV Winger / Centre)
Nick Carroll - Cranbrook (CAS 2nds 2014 Centre)

Also 2 players who would have been in Yr 11 had they stayed at Waverley:
Charlie Smith - Scots (Aust Schools 2014 No 8 / Back Row)
Tom Wright - St Josephs (NSW 2nds 2014 Winger / Full Back)
# So,serious Rugby talent has left Waverley from this Age Group Cohort.

9 players mentioned there plus around half a team, if not more, of players who finished last year who were young and could have been playing this year if they were in year 12 now.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
I have been reading all the blogs here for some time now and have never responded. I am pretty closely aligned with the Waverley team this year having a boy in the Opens and one who finished 2 years ago and I would like to clear a few things up that I have heard. While I cannot guarantee 100% that these are nothing but fact, it is what I have heard:
1) The scrum machine issue: Waverley already has 2 scrum machines – one at Queens Park and one at the school. Are they both used? I have no idea. Have the scrums been ordinary this year? Absolutely. But I think anyone who has seen them play would agree that the scrums have improved out of sight. Queens Park is also a public access park so storage and safety etc of course has to come in to play.
2) The coach has copped a lot of flack on here – and some of it with good reason. I heard early on in the piece that there was quite a bit of ‘politics’ going on at the school. 4 people applied to be 1st XV coach. Mr Engele moved to Trinity to coach their team (it has been said that he is a “great coach” but how are Trinity going this year? Nothing has been said about him). Mr Cornish (the Maths teacher) moved to coach the 15As so he can watch his son play who is in the team. The other 2 applicants are not well liked at the school – not by the boys, not by the staff and not by the parents so they were never going to get the job. The 2 coaches who are doing it this year did not particularly want the job from what I hear and are doing the best with their ability.
3) This brings me to my second point about the coaches…all the talk has been about one coach who is a “nice guy”, but aren’t there two coaches? The other coach is the school’s Sports Master – how on earth does he find the time to give his all to the team. If you ask me, the forwards have improved a lot this year, but the backs have not made as much improvement. The Sports Master is the backs coach. Give him some flack as well. The original coach is also the First XI Cricket coach and a Year Co-ordinator. How on earth does he find the time as well to plan and prepare! Both coaches need a kick in the pants as they have not performed their duty to get the side ready to play at a 1st XV standard.
4) No structure: because the 2 coaches were not appointed until very late, the team had a very poor pre-season and as such, the structure was minimal to say the least. They obviously worked hard before the Knox game and changed their structure – which obviously worked. Pats on the back to the coaches for that one.
5) Depth: This year this is no depth at all in the open ranks at Waverley. The lower teams are struggling to put points on the board. This is not helped by one of the boys from last year’s First XV asking to have the season off – and getting it granted.
I might be able to think of some other things later.

S

sidelineview

3) This brings me to my second point about the coaches…all the talk has been about one coach who is a “nice guy”, but aren’t there two coaches? The other coach is the school’s Sports Master – how on earth does he find the time to give his all to the team. If you ask me, the forwards have improved a lot this year, but the backs have not made as much improvement. The Sports Master is the backs coach. Give him some flack as well. The original coach is also the First XI Cricket coach and a Year Co-ordinator. How on earth does he find the time as well to plan and prepare! Both coaches need a kick in the pants as they have not performed their duty to get the side ready to play at a 1st XV standard.

Scott Coleman is involved with the coaching as well and he's doing a good job. The backs have improved; their defensive structure in particular and they looked more confidence to run it last game. There's still improvement that can be found for the team but they look to be enjoying their rugby and are well motivated.

Well done to the Waverley coaches and players for turning their season around to win 3 of their last 4 games. It should be a good game today against another improved team in Aloys. Good luck to both teams.

Old schooled

Frank Nicholson (4)
The coach has copped a lot of flack on here – and some of it with good reason

Check the bottleneck the coach has created in the last 2years as the 2nd XV coach.
His record is ordinary. Other talented kids did not want to play for him and his co coach.
To highlight the difficulties the team has had to achieve, the last 2 years team has been exceptionally strong.the double V is what the boys play for, not the coaches.

David Jones

Frank Row (1)
very hollow feeling towards Cranbrook's premiership this year after the dominant performance from knox today, really showed who the better team was

Artbeet

Frank Nicholson (4)
very hollow feeling towards Cranbrook's premiership this year after the dominant performance from knox today, really showed who the better team was

We'll see what happens next week.Allos coming home witg a wet sail. If brook do win then they obviously would have played better for the whole season with a scholarship and bursary free team. But don't count your chickens...

Status
Not open for further replies.