• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
It was 25 all actually for the Trinity game.
Trinity missing two key players away with the NSW JGC rep team but they played well for their first hit out for the season.

The missing two, I assume, being Wayland and Morris.

Wayland is an interesting player. When fit, he did very well last year, playing No8, but in the NSW JGC team he's a prop, I think. He has a heap of talent, and is a very dangerous runner, but will need to fix his discipline. There's a fine line between controlled aggression and giving away dumb penalties, and he didn't really find it last season.

blindsideflanker

Allen Oxlade (6)
The missing two, I assume, being Wayland and Morris.

Wayland is an interesting player. When fit, he did very well last year, playing No8, but in the NSW JGC team he's a prop, I think. He has a heap of talent, and is a very dangerous runner, but will need to fix his discipline. There's a fine line between controlled aggression and giving away dumb penalties, and he didn't really find it last season.

Yes Wayland is an aggressive player but one you want in your team as he won't take a backward step to anyone.
Played 8 at school but made every rep team he trialled for as prop,NSW school 16 and JGC 17.
Like most teenagers he has to learn to control his aggression but as you mentioned he has a heap of talent.

Rover

Frank Row (1)
Clearly a bias trinity supporter
No actually I'm not . Trinity drew with stannies with Morris (inside centre), wayland (prop/number 8) and Sitiene (10) all missing . Now barker got smashed by this same stannies side . Alloys is alloys . Cranbrook will be very depleted this year with the likes of summerhays, Renton, makas, Harrison , banks , Mahoney and edelstein all gone . These players were all instrumental to the premiership . That means it will be close at the top with trinity , waverly and Knox.

bighit123

Frank Row (1)
This is a trinity side who came last in 2015...
A knox side who dominated Joeys is hardly going to lose to
A waverley side who looks better each week
An aloys side who beat Marist Canberra by 6 tries and Pius by 70 points
If anyone is in trouble, it would be the wooden spooners of last year

Lineup14

Stan Wickham (3)
No actually I'm not . Trinity drew with stannies with Morris (inside centre), wayland (prop/number 8) and Sitiene (10) all missing . Now barker got smashed by this same stannies side . Alloys is alloys . Cranbrook will be very depleted this year with the likes of summerhays, Renton, makas, Harrison , banks , Mahoney and edelstein all gone . These players were all instrumental to the premiership . That means it will be close at the top with trinity , waverly and Knox.

Yes that is all in good reason but do you really think saying 3 players missing and drawing is good enough to win the comp and beat the likes of Knox. Yes Barker is evidently comparatively weaker than Trinity this year but is that still a good enough reason to put them 5th and Aloys 6th because 'Aloys is Aloys'.

Ready to Ruck

Frank Row (1)

To say "Aloys is Aloys" I believe is unfair. I got out to willoughby on Saturday and well I have to say the boys from Milsons point look impressive this year. Just for a quick analysis, the experience of the front row of Hampton, Stene (CAS 16s in 2014) and Nikopolous will provide a great base for the set piece as they will bring experience to the pack against bigger opposition. Retaining locks Nowlan and Halliday will as well prove handy as both players bring great aggression in play and are very much the engine room of the pack, expect these two to push for rep selection, as Nowlan was a CAS II's rep, as for the backrow, Cramp was missing on the weekend possibly due to injury, but one of the Shiel-Dick twins at 7 again displays the experience of the pack this year, a strong ball runner for his size as well as a damaging defensive player, as he was everywhere on Saturday. As for the number 8 Jones, strong hard ball running on Saturday scoring a try off the back of the scrum, will be a useful addition to the 2014 pack as he as well appears very skillful for his size. Although the forwards maybe small in comparison to that of other teams, I beleieve the Aloys boys up front will be competitive against the traditional big boys of Waverley knox and trinity. As far as the back line is concerned, halfback Hayes has really stepped up his game providing consistent service and physically handling himself on Saturday against bigger players. Dainton at 10 is displaying his excellence, replicating the form of his brother last year. The centre paring of Lawson and Slaven will be a powerhouse, both skillful players scoring great tries, would not be surprised to see these two playing representative football this year. As for the back three of the other Shiel Dick twin, diamond and dunlop, all three players provide strong aggression in attack, reliable defence and in the case of Diamond, strength and power in his running. He looked dangerous on Saturday and will be one to look out for. The problem with Aloys rugby is the range of depth. Although the seconds had a comfortable victory, my concern is the depth and reliance upon seconds players in the case of injury concerns. With this said, a seemingly experienced team who could definitely be in for a great season. Serious dark horses of the CAS this year.

I just believe saying Aloys finishing sixth is a little unfair, as to say any other school finishing elsewhere is unfair. No one predicted the success of Cranbrook last year. The beauty of CAS is it is a tight competition and will be very interesting to see how all teams go. This said I do believe Knox will be tough competitors this year.

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)

Rightttttt.....the same trinity that was beaten 44-0 in the 16B's and 50-0 in the 16A's last year by Waves and probably a similar scoreline to other schools? Thats the depth of the players entering the opens this year, oh wait that hugely successful opens year group from last year? The ones that came last, that they are again going to field there first XV team off. Back to Summers Hill mate.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rightttttt...the same trinity that was beaten 44-0 in the 16B's and 50-0 in the 16A's last year by Waves and probably a similar scoreline to other schools? Thats the depth of the players entering the opens this year, oh wait that hugely successful opens year group from last year? The ones that came last, that they are again going to field there first XV team off. Back to Summers Hill mate.

You're right, Trinity's Firsts were poor last year. They were so bad, they only beat Waverley once.

Seriously, though, posts that just announce who you think will or won't win just waste pixels or whatever we use here. Same with posts bagging coaches. Good posts tell us something we don't know - like who looks like being in the teams or what happened in the trials.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Galston gorge is a scary place, it seems two football teams disappeared down there last Saturday, shoulda gone via Penno instead
sorry just saw the 7:30am report #298 I was on the train!

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
In case anyone didn't see it on the GPS forum: some action from Wav v New captured by a New supporter >

Slightly unfair to Waverley - watching that, you'd think they lost by plenty, not by five. Mind you, their scrum coach has a bit to do.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Slightly unfair to Waverley - watching that, you'd think they lost by plenty, not by five. Mind you, their scrum coach has a bit to do.
Yeah, sorry, was positioned on the embankment, which gives great view except that the grandstand totally obscures the nearside corner at the 'other' end. Also was very bright sunlight, so part of the time i was just pointing & hoping [cos impossible to see what was being recorded due to glare on the digicam screen]. Got quite a few air shots.:oops:

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)

Yep, they've been trialling a Year 10 prop which is a big call - he's the one who keeps getting popped, so it may be that they have been giving him a run in the trials to see how he would perform. He's solid for a Year 10 lad but kids grow so much over the next two years that he's being outmatched physically (no surprises there). They've got a NZ tour over the holidays so methinks the scrum will get a decent work out over there.

Lineup14

Stan Wickham (3)
Yep, they've been trialling a Year 10 prop which is a big call - he's the one who keeps getting popped, so it may be that they have been giving him a run in the trials to see how he would perform. He's solid for a Year 10 lad but kids grow so much over the next two years that he's being outmatched physically (no surprises there). They've got a NZ tour over the holidays so methinks the scrum will get a decent work out over there.
Speaking of which. Does anyone know of any other schools touring these holidays?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yeah, sorry, was positioned on the embankment, which gives great view except that the grandstand totally obscures the nearside corner at the 'other' end. Also was very bright sunlight, so part of the time i was just pointing & hoping [cos impossible to see what was being recorded due to glare on the digicam screen]. Got quite a few air shots.:oops:

Please don't apologise - this kind of footage adds real value to the forum.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Did anyone watch the cranbrook vs shore game? If so, any comments on the game?

Although Shore finished up 19-7, the game was a really good tussle - the old cliche a game of two halves.

Cranbrook should have lead by at least 3 tries at halftime, they were dominant for the majority of the first 35 mins. But some poor choices saw at least three tries blown (ie going left when had a 4 man overlap right - kicking when had an overlap - dropped ball etc). Shore's defence was good and they held the score to nil all at halftime.

Cranbrook lost Ed Renton (13) at halftime and this was a major blow as he was looking good.

The second half was much more even as Shore formed some combinations. Two of Shore's three tries came from fairly long range counter-attacks from Cranbrook kicks - i think they'd be better off hanging onto the ball more. In saying that they will do better this season than the scoreline in this game reflects.

Status
Not open for further replies.