• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A word of advice to all New Posters.

If the Selectors do read Green and Gold Forums, history has shown that their selections are not influenced by the number of mentions of a player in the forums or by any keyboard selectors analysis or hyperbole of said player.

Attempts to talk up yourself, a mate, sibling, or son on here are rather pitiful and very transparent. It does not bring any credit to the player who is usually rather embarrassed by the attention.

How it works:
Usually someone with very few posts to their credit asks a veiled question in the third person such as:
"I heard that the centre for <insert school> played a blinder against <insert opposition>. Could be a chance for CAS. Anyone know his name?"

When/if the name is mentioned, a response is usually along the lines of:
"Anyone see his game against <insert school>? I'm told he scored a ripper of a try and and should be in the running for a NSW jersey"
or
"Thoughts on whether he will be in CAS" or similar.

There are several slight variations used. Most are rather pathetic and nearly all are extremely transparent. Somehow in a game involving up to 23 players from both teams, one player only gets singled out for mention time and again, and again. If you have a close personal relationship with a player, then be up front with it. Be proud of your son, nephew, mate or brother.

If you are such an keen and neutral observer of future talent that you can spot a superstar lurking in the 3rd XV or 16C's, then write up an objective match report, or at least mention all of the players who had impressive games, and outline why you think that was the case. It is a team sport after all.

Try not to talk up your mates, brothers, sons, or associates in the third person masquerading as a neutral, objective & impartial observer. Don't be surprised if posts that do such disappear from sight when they get hoovered up by the Moderators. The end result is usually a warning and ban from the forum.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Glad that you acknowledge that it's far from perfect - it is a scheduler's nightmare and it still doesn't guarantee an even competition. Just get over it - the schools are not doing rugby for your personal edification, they do it as part of their co-curricular activities to satisfy the board of studies that they satisfy the board's phys ed requirements
Can't see where my personal edification came into it. For your personal edification, my points were that no one benefits from 50+ point scorelines and Aust rugby would be better served by more even and testing competition. Disagree if you wish but don't distort the premise

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Four rounds in, it is a tight competition - except for first and last. Something like this:

Knox 8 points (+89)
Trinity 4 (+22)
St Aloysius 4 (+19)
Waverley 4 (+7)
Barker 4 (-55)
Cranbrook 0 (-82)

The following pack is so even that Knox is basically uncatchable now, because any of the teams who have won two from four would need to win maybe five of their next six and hope Know loses three - which is highly improbable.

Not the closest competition in CAS history, though - I know I bore on about CAS Rugby history, but my favourite competition remains 1972, with its four joint premiers, who each played five, won three and lost two.

RedBlue

Stan Wickham (3)
How about waverleys lower A teams . Anyone get any joy? 15as?

Wonder how tadg murphy went in the centres? Kid can play imho

Have to say Knox rugby programme looking pretty dominant

Heard from some Barker parents today that murphy might have copped a broken nose, any news on that? Apparently was quite a close game for Waves 15's at Death Valley

M

M squad 2015

As we near the half way mark and a clearer idea of the ladder position after round 10 - I dare say that the competition is looking to end with joint premiers either between alloys /barker or alloys / waves. After reading that you're probably thinking that I'm a mad man but put this into perspective - After next week knox will have the hardest 5 games of rugby left of the year to ensure that they are the winners of the Henry Plume. As we have gotten further into this competition it seems that knox have either peaked too early or the competition is getting stronger as the rounds progress. With alloys trinity and Barker getting some confidence after some solid displays over the past 4 weeks my money is on them to deliver an upset to the Knox juggernaut. Coach Williams may prove me wrong with his experience and expertise however imho i think he will go either title-less or joint by the end of round 10...

Rebels rising

Stan Wickham (3)
Did anyone see the game? I heard he was best on field last game? How did he perform this game?

Scored 2 tries, 1st one from an inside ball from the 10 on the break and the 2nd a great individual chip and chase that he collected and scored, although he is playing great it would be tough to get a 1sts spot with longville at 15

Rebels rising

Stan Wickham (3)
I didn't see much of Vigar in the Trinity/Cranbrook Seconds. I did think it was odd that two players as good as Harrison Stewart (for Cranbrook) and David Barbati (for Trinity - CAS Seconds last year) were running around in the Seconds.

Barbati is making his way back to the firsts after missing the entire off-season and pre season with a track and field related injury

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Heard from some Barker parents today that murphy might have copped a broken nose, any news on that? Apparently was quite a close game for Waves 15's at Death Valley
Waves by 5 or 6 over Barker in 15As. Not sure re Murphy. If they are still playing him in Centres I think its a bit of a waste - taking a very good forward out to be an average back.

wallaby7991

Frank Row (1)
The 2nds comp this year is looking a bit all over the place, although after this weekend it seems that knox are looking strong with Waverley and Aloys both looking to be in good form, it's going to be a cracking game at Queens Park next weekend between those two sides.

Rebels rising

Stan Wickham (3)
I think the Trinity forward pack might have gone a bit under-rated going into the season. Since getting steamrolled by waves (without nugyen and filipo) they have torched aloys and cranbrook while more than holding their own against the huge knox pack. If they can avoid any major injuries there is enough talent in the forwards with McLennan, wayland, rasch ect to carry them to a successful season

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
"I dare say that the competition is looking to end with joint premiers either between alloys /barker or alloys / waves."

Wishful thinking.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)

"I think the Trinity forward pack might have gone a bit under-rated going into the season."
I don't think anyone under-rates Trinity's pack (or team) when they're at full strength. They struggle when players get injured. They were excellent yesterday but when a couple of players are out (as against Waverley) the replacements are of significantly lower standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.