• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I've only seen the 17 minutes of highlights of the game, but I can't see what all the fuss is about the 10. He seemed to distribute well, looked to defend. There were plenty of others out there that could be questioned as well. When looking for better perfomances from players in the 2's game it needs to be put in context that the pressure applied to the 10 and in other positions in the 2's game would not have been anywhere near what the 10 in the 1's game was up against. So unless what was on the rest of the footage was a disaster, then they would probably stick with the incumbent.

S

sidelineview

I've only seen the 17 minutes of highlights of the game, but I can't see what all the fuss is about the 10. He seemed to distribute well, looked to defend. There were plenty of others out there that could be questioned as well. When looking for better perfomances from players in the 2's game it needs to be put in context that the pressure applied to the 10 and in other positions in the 2's game would not have been anywhere near what the 10 in the 1's game was up against. So unless what was on the rest of the footage was a disaster, then they would probably stick with the incumbent.

You may be right but something was going through the coaches mind when he shuffled the backline positions around in the second half. Was looking for a winning edge when behind in the game and/or trying different combinations out. Slaven off, Narayan to the centes from the wing. Jordan on the wing. Thompson off and Narayan into flyhalf and Slaven back on.
They scored two good tries after the changes were made and nearly scored another one on the bell, so the coach backed his own judgment and it nearly paid off.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Throwing my piece of pie in, credit to the CAS boys. Both the 1's and 2's displayed good rugby for a team/squad that had only been together for 3 hours in total (training hours) compared to those of CHS who have toured South Africa earlier this year, and played in the same teams from 12's - now.

Hats off for the mighty red.

Playing since they were 12 ! You for real ?

The only team put together is the NSW PSSA team which all Nsw primary schools submit their respective regional teams except for NSWCIS and two catholic teams .

The next opportunity to play rep rugby for NSWCHS is u16 level then U18.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Brainstrust said:
I've only seen the 17 minutes of highlights of the game, but I can't see what all the fuss is about the 10. He seemed to distribute well, looked to defend. There were plenty of others out there that could be questioned as well. When looking for better perfomances from players in the 2's game it needs to be put in context that the pressure applied to the 10 and in other positions in the 2's game would not have been anywhere near what the 10 in the 1's game was up against. So unless what was on the rest of the footage was a disaster, then they would probably stick with the incumbent.​
You may be right but something was going through the coaches mind when he shuffled the backline positions around in the second half. Was looking for a winning edge when behind in the game and/or trying different combinations out. Slaven off, Narayan to the centes from the wing. Jordan on the wing. Thompson off and Narayan into flyhalf and Slaven back on.

They scored two good tries after the changes were made and nearly scored another one on the bell, so the coach backed his own judgment and it nearly paid off.

The edited out footage [mostly pick & drives, reset scrums etc] didn't show a disaster. I've reviewed it and it showed he tackled the CHS nos 1 and 12. He distributed a couple of times: on one, his centre, lying flat, received the ball from the scrum half first. On another the full back came into the line before him, and passed him the ball only to be stripped by the CHS 12 who was right on him. He kicked once from within the 22 but missed touch.

KNOX2Win

Bob McCowan (2)
My CAS 1st team

1. Anstee
2. Nguyen
3. Rathie
4. Swinton
5. Rasch
6. Basson
7. Chapman (C)
8. McLennan
9. Butler
10. Narayan
11. Diamond
12. williams
13. Lawson
14. Longville
15. Bosch

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
My CAS 1st team

1. Anstee
2. Nguyen
3. Rathie
4. Swinton
5. Rasch
6. Basson
7. Chapman (C)
8. McLennan
9. Butler
10. Narayan
11. Diamond
12. williams
13. Lawson
14. Longville
15. Bosch
Nice looking team. If Chapman is not the best leader then I'll eat my hat. How they decide the Captain must be by throwing the names up in the air and which ever name they catch, he will do.

Rasch has to be in there somewhere. Is Stenning still injured? When is he expected back? CAS needs his speed.

KNOX2Win

Bob McCowan (2)
Nice looking team. If Chapman is not the best leader then I'll eat my hat. How they decide the Captain must be by throwing the names up in the air and which ever name they catch, he will do.

Rasch has to be in there somewhere. Is Stenning still injured? When is he expected back? CAS needs his speed.

not sure about stenning however i feel he would find it hard to beat longville or Diamond. Rasch played exceptionally for the CAS 2nds and in his time for the 1sts.

Any other suggestions anyone?

KNOX2Win

Bob McCowan (2)
Brainstrust said:
I've only seen the 17 minutes of highlights of the game, but I can't see what all the fuss is about the 10. He seemed to distribute well, looked to defend. There were plenty of others out there that could be questioned as well. When looking for better perfomances from players in the 2's game it needs to be put in context that the pressure applied to the 10 and in other positions in the 2's game would not have been anywhere near what the 10 in the 1's game was up against. So unless what was on the rest of the footage was a disaster, then they would probably stick with the incumbent.​

The edited out footage [mostly pick & drives, reset scrums etc] didn't show a disaster. I've reviewed it and it showed he tackled the CHS nos 1 and 12. He distributed a couple of times: on one, his centre, lying flat, received the ball from the scrum half first. On another the full back came into the line before him, and passed him the ball only to be stripped by the CHS 12 who was right on him. He kicked once from within the 22 but missed touch.

he lacks attacking flare and physicality, needs to be replaced in my view. although he did nothing incredibly wrong, he provided no x factor and that is what CAS need at this point in time.

KNOX2Win

Bob McCowan (2)
Both played pretty good. Siteine and Jordan played a half each in the 2nds.
Jordan got a run in the 1sts at left wing to replace Narayan who shifted into flyhalf to replace Thompson.
Who knows which way the coach will go with the 1sts backline against GPS, especially if Armstrong and Stenning are fit and selected.
He should have plenty of options from the reserve bench during the game at least.

Jordan made crucial mistakes however did some good things, not up to CAS 1st level

Setiene played mistake free however lacked leadership and direction as a flyhalf

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
he lacks attacking flare and physicality, needs to be replaced in my view. although he did nothing incredibly wrong, he provided no x factor and that is what CAS need at this point in time.

Talking of physicality at 10, ISA have a guy called Jack Ongosia, [only in their 2nd XV currently]. Saw him play for St Augs v Oakhill [video is up on the ISA site], mighty impressive I thought.

KNOX2Win

Bob McCowan (2)
Talking of physicality at 10, ISA have a guy called Jack Ongosia, [only in their 2nd XV currently]. Saw him play for St Augs v Oakhill [video is up on the ISA site], mighty impressive I thought.

he played CIS rugby league at lock and played hooker for ISA 16s, very interesting positional change should be a good battle between the 10s.

S

sidelineview

Jordan made crucial mistakes however did some good things, not up to CAS 1st level

Setiene played mistake free however lacked leadership and direction as a flyhalf

They wouldn't do any worse; they both do OK for their schools. I wouldn't write them off.

S

sidelineview

My CAS 1st team

1. Anstee
2. Nguyen
3. Rathie
4. Swinton
5. Rasch
6. Basson
7. Chapman (C)
8. McLennan
9. Butler
10. Narayan
11. Diamond
12. williams
13. Lawson
14. Longville
15. Bosch

I can't see any reason why the scrum half Hayes should be replaced. Butler played well in the 2nds and so did Cooper but neither were better than Hayes.

I don't agree with you that Setiene or Jordan aren't up to CAS 1sts level, I dont think there's much between the 3 number 10s. However, I dont expect either to be named as fly half. I would guess whoever gets the 10 spot will be instructed by the coach to follow a certain game plan to keep it simple.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Thompson start the game as the incumbent with the coach having other options up his sleeve if necessary. It will be important to play a structured and defensively strong game against GPS. The fly half will need to have a good passing game and defend strongly. Narayan has the ability to be creative in attack but may not be the best option to start the game.

Lawson played very well in the 2nds but did Slaven play bad enough to be dropped? and Bosch is a good player but did he outplay Longville? I dont think so.

The coach will have plenty of options from his reserve bench during the game.

Gilly

Herbert Moran (7)
I can't see any reason why the scrum half Hayes should be replaced. Butler played well in the 2nds and so did Cooper but neither were better than Hayes.

I don't agree with you that Setiene or Jordan aren't up to CAS 1sts level, I dont think there's much between the 3 number 10s. However, I dont expect either to be named as fly half. I would guess whoever gets the 10 spot will be instructed by the coach to follow a certain game plan to keep it simple.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Thompson start the game as the incumbent with the coach having other options up his sleeve if necessary. It will be important to play a structured and defensively strong game against GPS. The fly half will need to have a good passing game and defend strongly. Narayan has the ability to be creative in attack but may not be the best option to start the game.

Lawson played very well in the 2nds but did Slaven play bad enough to be dropped? and Bosch is a good player but did he outplay Longville? I dont think so.

The coach will have plenty of options from his reserve bench during the game.

No doubt all will be revealed on saturday evening by the selectors.
What may be of more value to them are some of the key games and positional match-ups this weekend with Alos vs Trinity, Knox V. Waves and Barker Vs Cranbrook.
Are there any of the injured brigade returning who may be possible candidates for the next 2 CAS teams?

S

sidelineview

No doubt all will be revealed on saturday evening by the selectors.
What may be of more value to them are some of the key games and positional match-ups this weekend with Alos vs Trinity, Knox V. Waves and Barker Vs Cranbrook.
Are there any of the injured brigade returning who may be possible candidates for the next 2 CAS teams?

That's true. It will be an interesting round of rugby. Good luck to all the players; next Tuesday 38 of them will be wearing the same colour jersey.

Tahmen

Frank Nicholson (4)
What are our thoughts on the upcoming CAS games?

Barker vs Cranbrook
All of the games this weekend will be very interesting, with Barker vs Cranbrook being the battle of the weaker teams in the comp. My pick would be Barker they have played as a team really really well and seem to play for each other. Cranbrook not to be overlooked they went toe to toe against Knox for the first 20 but seemed to run out of steam.

Barker by 10+

Knox vs Waves
At home its hard to see Knox loosing although they haven't seemed to be able to repeat the display of beautiful rugby that they did at death valley the last time theses two teams met. Waves will be looking to regain some pride after the earlier defeat and when they play well they play really well, with their lightning fast backs. Knox has a couple of veterans returning, with White returning at 10 (after an injury in pre-season) in the 2nds having played 1st/2nds last year and played all trials games in the 1st XV he will bring some added depth in the backs that Knox needs. Stenning looks to be returning?

Knox by 10+

Aloys vs Trinity
Of all the games this weekend this would be the one to get down and watch both of these teams have been playing really really great and I would think that the winner of this will come 2nd at the end of the season. Both have some of the most dangerous runners of the ball in CAS in Diamond and McClennan as well as very solid forwards. Hard to say who will could go either way. I think it will come down to who can play the full 80 minutes at 100%.

Trinity by a try

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm going Cranbrook in an upset over Barker. Cranbrook to win by 4 points.

Knox by plenty at home against Waverley. Knox getting players back while Waverley seems to have lost a key player in Cardassilaris at CAS game. Knox by 26

Alo's to beat Trinity in another very close one. It will be a high scoring game but Alo's to win by 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.