• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
CAS-logo.jpg

The Henry Plume Shield for 2014 is all done and dusted. Apart from end of season 2014 reviews, which still should be on the CAS 2014 thread, it is time to move on to next season.
double v
If they can get good preseason training in and the right coaching from day 1, I believe the smart money is on Waverley to finally take out the Henry Plume shield next year after coming agonizingly close in past years.

I'm a bit biased as well, but it looks promising for Waverley for next year and for the next few years to come.
Besides the depth that you've pinpointed, it's interesting to note that of all the 1sts players from this season, 7 will be in Year 12 and 3 in Year 11.

What about the other schools? I know Alos, Knox and Trinity played some promising U16s in 1sts and Alos had a very young team.

This season's 1sts players who will be backing up next year:
Waverley - 10
Knox
Alos
Trinity
Barker
Cranbrook

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
You're a tough taskmaster, Mr Jarse, but all right. Silly season has started. Silly season is when we all guess about what will happen next year, based on which players we think are returning, how the 15Bs went this year, and so on.

It isn't always easy to predict, though, because things go awry. Sometimes players don't come back - they get expelled, or decide that Pathways isn't for them, or get music scholarships at other schools. Sometimes they come back and break a leg in the first trial game. And sometimes players who are red-hot in Year 11 are so-so in Year 12. All of which is just as well, because it keeps things interesting.

Cranbrook don't have all that many players returning next year. They'll have some good ones, but my guess is they'll come back to the pack. Knox's best players will be gone, but they'll have more depth than anyone. Barker I think will be OK. St Aloysius and Waverley had very young sides this year and should do better in 2015.

Trinity will be interesting, I think. They had some useful young players on deck this year. The side in 2015 could look a bit like this, if they all come back:

1 McLennan
2 Nguyen
4 Rasch
6 Davies
7 Filipo
8 Wayland
9 Gregory
10 Siteine
11 Burland
12 Morris
14 Barbati
15 Longville

The three blank spots would be filled by players who weren't used, or used much, this year. That's twelve players coming back, some of them (like Longville, McLennan, Nguyen and Rasch) very handy indeed. The two questions are, will they come back better players in 2014 than they were in 2015 (because this doens't happen automatically), and will there be players who can cover for them if injuries strike? Molla played CAS Under 16s and looks a useful possibility.

If so, they could aim for a top three finish, I think.

S

sidelineview

This season's 1sts players who will be backing up next year:

Waverley - 10

Knox

Alos

Trinity - 12

Barker

Cranbrook

S

sidelineview

You're right Snort: the silly season is for us experts to make some long term predictions without fear or favour.
I'll have a go at predicting Waverley's team from this season's 1sts players.

2. Arthur McKenna
5. Justin Cooper
6. Jack Clifford
8. Zac Cardassilaris
9. Cooper Murphy/ Dion Narayan
10. Tyzac Bailey
12. Tom Fuller
13. Jaya Yoannidis
15. Jackson Mohi

Someone else can fill in the blanks if they choose to.

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
One thing that really struck me at the Knox Barker game was how BIG the Knox forwards were. The tight 5 were massively bigger than their opponents.

S

sidelineview

One thing that really struck me at the Knox Barker game was how BIG the Knox forwards were. The tight 5 were massively bigger than their opponents.

They're huge ... I wonder how many of them will be returning next season?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
You're right Snort: the silly season is for us experts to make some long term predictions without fear or favour.

2. Arthur McKenna
5. Justin Cooper
6. Jack Clifford
8. Zac Cardassilaris
9. Cooper Murphy/ Dion Narayan
10. Tyzac Bailey
12. Tom Fuller
13. Jaya Yoannidis
15. Jackson Mohi

That's a pretty useful start. Cooper and Cardassilaris were very good this year, and I really like the look of Bailey. Narayan will be in his third season, and Mohi and Yoannidis did well when they came into the side. There's a lot of talent to work with there. A couple of hefty props wouldn't go astray, though.

S

sidelineview

That's a pretty useful start. Cooper and Cardassilaris were very good this year, and I really like the look of Bailey. Narayan will be in his third season, and Mohi and Yoannidis did well when they came into the side. There's a lot of talent to work with there. A couple of hefty props wouldn't go astray, though.

There were a couple of big props playing for the U16s this season: Ethan Micallef and Liam Smith, so they might fit in well. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of the very talented 15s from this year be in contention either.

Bailey gained a lot of valuable experience this season and matured greatly as a fly half. He took over the play making and kicking duties in the last game and handled it well.
Yoannidis likewise gained a lot of experience and confidence and is a powerful runner of the ball.
Mohi was injured for the first half of the season but was outstanding in the last game.
I'm looking forward to seeing how all the young ones come back next season. Trinity have an unusually large number of players backing up next season, as do Alos.

Rugbymaster66

Stan Wickham (3)

1. Liam Smith
2. Arthur McKenna
4. Liam Cornish?
5. Justin Cooper
6. Jack Clifford
8. Zac Cardassilaris
9. Cooper Murphy
10. Tyzac Bailey
11. Tom potapof
12. Tom Fuller
13. Jaya Yoannidis
14. Jackson Mohi
15. Dion Narayan

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
In this year's 10 nominations for the Catchpole medal are 2 ex Trinity boys,Harrison Orr & Henry Clunies-Ross.

TheHitman

Bob McCowan (2)
You're a tough taskmaster, Mr Jarse, but all right. Silly season has started. Silly season is when we all guess about what will happen next year, based on which players we think are returning, how the 15Bs went this year, and so on.

It isn't always easy to predict, though, because things go awry. Sometimes players don't come back - they get expelled, or decide that Pathways isn't for them, or get music scholarships at other schools. Sometimes they come back and break a leg in the first trial game. And sometimes players who are red-hot in Year 11 are so-so in Year 12. All of which is just as well, because it keeps things interesting.

Cranbrook don't have all that many players returning next year. They'll have some good ones, but my guess is they'll come back to the pack. Knox's best players will be gone, but they'll have more depth than anyone. Barker I think will be OK. St Aloysius and Waverley had very young sides this year and should do better in 2015.

Trinity will be interesting, I think. They had some useful young players on deck this year. The side in 2015 could look a bit like this, if they all come back:

1 McLennan
2 Nguyen
4 Rasch
6 Davies
7 Filipo
8 Wayland
9 Gregory
10 Siteine
11 Burland
12 Morris
14 Barbati
15 Longville

The three blank spots would be filled by players who weren't used, or used much, this year. That's twelve players coming back, some of them (like Longville, McLennan, Nguyen and Rasch) very handy indeed. The two questions are, will they come back better players in 2014 than they were in 2015 (because this doens't happen automatically), and will there be players who can cover for them if injuries strike? Molla played CAS Under 16s and looks a useful possibility.

If so, they could aim for a top three finish, I think.

I believe Davies (6) is in year 12 and won't be returning

rugbyfanatic91

Stan Wickham (3)
My tip for next year would be Alos , due to there 11 starters in the 1s and some very strong talent coming from 16s. But i wouldn't underestimate Cranbrook to go back to back. Just a little Cranbrook team i have penciled in quickly.
1. Tom Hill (Cas 1s 2014 and unlucky not to make NSW)
2. ?
3. Alexander Rathie (CAS 1s 2014)
4. Louis Stenmark (CAS 2s 2014)
5.?
6. Oskar Szengolies (1st XV time this year)
7. Beau Mayer ( A standout of the 2nd XV competition this year, 1st XV time as well)
8. Andrew Spira ( 1st XV time this year, Standout in the 16s competition)
9. ?
10. Tom Wilson (Played 1st XV this year and last year played both 10 and 15)
11. Harry Stewart (1st XV time this year and another very high achiever in 16s)
12. Angus Mcniven (CAS 2s 2014)
13. Ed Renton (Missed most the season due to injury but probably would of got a lot of time in the 1s this year)
14.?
15. Felix Studdy (Played the whole season in 1sts)

Just my opinion feel free to fill in the blanks :)

Feel Free to fill in the blanks

Rugbyfanatic23

Frank Row (1)
Tip for next year is Knox they are too strong in the 16s this year and have plenty of year 11s backing up for next year, Waverley and Trinity to be strong with Barker and Aloys also being amongst the mix whilst i think cranbrook won't be able to repeat the success they had this year.

This is a barker team I've had a quick go at for next year

1. Tim Anstey (NSW u16s)
2. Andy lloyd (Ist player this year)
3.?
4. ?
5. Nic Technitis (2nd XV)
6.?
7. Simon Pursell (!st XV player this year)
8. Matt Brouff ( 1sts winger and played a little centre but barker needs size and he has it?)
9. Adam wigglesworth (Great 2nd XV player also time in 1s)
10. Bruce Thompson (Finished the year in 1s)
11. Will Rowbotham (half season in 1s)
12. Matt Nevison (North Harbour 16s standout in 16s)
14. Sean Hasegawa (Cas 16s and 1s this year)
15. Andrew Saar (Standout in 2nd XV at inside centre before a broken ankle cut short his 1st XV season)

Not sure how well they will go tho year but with a strong nucleus of a 2nds team this year that won the premiership they will be right up there

Feel free to comment

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
There was talk a few weeks back about the best possible team that a school could field. At the Waverley Rugby Presentation night last weekend that I attended with my son, a long standing member of Waverley, Br. Brian Murphy, named his all time XV for Waverley. It was (in his opinion) as follows:

1. Andrew Ugarte
2. Adam Frier
3. Joe Picone
4. Tim Kava (VC)
5. Shaun McKay
6. Owen Finnegan
7. Luke Ricketson
8. Stephen Hoiles
9. Brad Burke
10. Murray Tate
11. Michael Cleary
12. Cyril Towers (C)
13. Dave Brown (kicker)
14. Matt Burke
15. Ryan Cross

Thoughts?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
There was talk a few weeks back about the best possible team that a school could field. At the Waverley Rugby Presentation night last weekend that I attended with my son, a long standing member of Waverley, Br. Brian Murphy, named his all time XV for Waverley. It was (in his opinion) as follows:

1. Andrew Ugarte
2. Adam Frier
3. Joe Picone
4. Tim Kava (VC)
5. Shaun McKay
6. Owen Finnegan
7. Luke Ricketson
8. Stephen Hoiles
9. Brad Burke
10. Murray Tate
11. Michael Cleary
12. Cyril Towers (C)
13. Dave Brown (kicker)
14. Matt Burke
15. Ryan Cross

Thoughts?

Including Dave Brown is cheating a bit - I'm pretty sure he didn't play Rugby Union. Waverley was a Rugby League school when he attended. Having played League for ten years, Waverely switched back to Rugby Union in 1929, by which time I'm fairly sure Brown had left school.

It's hard to quibble with the rest. Possibly the most unfamiliar name is Andrew Ugarte, Waverley's 1979 captain and Australian Schools prop. He was incredibly mobile, but not all that big. He played a bit of First Grade for Easts.

S

sidelineview

1. Andrew Ugarte
2. Adam Frier
3. Joe Picone
4. Tim Kava (VC)
5. Shaun McKay
6. Owen Finnegan
7. Luke Ricketson
8. Stephen Hoiles
9. Brad Burke
10. Murray Tate
11. Michael Cleary
12. Cyril Towers (C)
13. Dave Brown (kicker)
14. Matt Burke
15. Ryan Cross

Thoughts?

Even though Steve Finnane only went to Year 10 at Waverley and did his HSC at Vaucluse High, he was still an old boy and would be hard to leave out as one of the props.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Even though Steve Finnane only went to Year 10 at Waverley and did his HSC at Vaucluse High, he was still an old boy and would be hard to leave out as one of the props.

Funny you should say that: pretty sure Laurie Fahy went to Waverley and I would have thought he'd give Ugarte a run for his money if he did.
No room for Morgan Turinui either.

Status
Not open for further replies.