• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
Be good to hear what Cranbrook has this year - rumour has it that one of the props had food poisoning during the week can anyone confirm?

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Such a balmy, dryish and benign start of the day. I have a feeling a fair few may be disappointed and damp by day's end.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Waverley too strong for an under-strength trinity.
Final score?

Waverley backs looking very good, even on a wet track.

And the return of the big 13, from his 1 year break, only makes waverley backs more potent

Next week should be great game, although dry track would be better for waverley, or at least for the spectators

Waverley seems to have fixed scrummaging altgh trinity were missing their rep hooker, so knox will prove a better gauge.

Waverley 16as will need to play a lot better to be any chance against knox.

Tahmen

Frank Nicholson (4)
Knox vs Barker
Final score 48 - 10

Barker started off very well and seemed to ruffle the feathers of the strong Knox team scoring two quick tries with the score being 0 - 10. After that strong period of play Knox scrambled seemingly in shock.

However the fitness of the Knox team seemed to grind down Barker and soon there were holes appearing all over the Barker defense, many of them made by James Armstrong who punched through with ease.

Stenning kicked beautifully the whole game only missing 1 or 2 from some very hard kicks.

In the end the fitness and the drilling of the Knox team seemed to make the difference and after the half time score of 14 - 10 they hit back hard smashing through a fairly weak Barker defense.

Barker looked surprisingly strong at the beginning and I think surprised the Knox team in the end though the result was decisive. The kind of score Knox would like if they are hoping to win the CAS this year.

Mr Goyu Goodthing

Frank Nicholson (4)
Yes, Knox seemed to have a nervous start with lots of simple errors. Maybe due to them not playing for 2 weeks. Or possibly just due to attrocious conditions. However, they fought back well and turned the momentum of the game with a nice try before halftime. Man of the Match in my opinion was Hugh Margin who had a great game. Knox threw a few intercept passes and gave Barker lots of opportunity, but in the end their centres Williams and Armstrong, with Stenning running strong, again proved the difference; surprising given their back row is typically so strong. The barker outside centre played well and made yards in first half. Their loose-head(?) prop also scrummaged very well. Knox 16s prop, Cutrone was reliable, another two 16s reserves came off the bench and contributed well.

S

sidelineview

Final score?

And the return of the big 13, from his 1 year break, only makes waverley backs more potent

Next week should be great game, although dry track would be better for waverley, or at least for the spectators

Waverley seems to have fixed scrummaging altgh trinity were missing their rep hooker, so knox will prove a better gauge.

Waves 1sts won 31-0; Waves 2nds won 50-5; Waves 16As, 15As and 14As won.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Knox always looked like winning this match right from the line up pre kick off. It was like they were playing a 15A's team such was the size differential between Knox and Barker.
That said the first 20 minutes showed that what Barker lacked in size they made up for in ticka and commitment. 2 scrums in a row the Barker pack dominated a clearly much bigger Knox scrum which had the boys in white looking very down cast.
Barkers tries were team efforts and if not for poor kicking they may well have been up by 17 nil midway through the first half.

The big Knox pack though started to rumble. A strong team try off a solid line out saw a rolling maul crash over. Another try got them under way and playing into the rain, the smaller Barker lads started falling off tackles. The halftime score of 14/10 certainly made Barker look competitive albeit clearly out gunned.

The second half was all Knox. Despite never getting any ascendancy in the scrum and with both teams struggling to throw straight in the line-outs the white machine found plenty of gaps in the committed but albeit fragile Barker defense.
Tries came to easily to Knox and with the benefit of solid penalty count against Barker and resultant field position.

Although slow to get going the Knox no 6 (with a physique like Captain America) was strong all day along with their No 8. Their back line was not that crisp although much can be blamed on the weather. Their 12 and 11 were the picks.

For Barker their entire scrum deserves praise for matching it with their heavier and taller rivals in the early part of the match. On a dry track their 10,12,13 also show cohesion and will improve on a dry track.

Its hard to see another CAS school matching Knox in the forwards, but the same cannot be said of their backs. Today's result should see them firm as favorites to win the Plume Shield.
For Barker it could be a long season, but on a dry track it would be folly for the other CAS schools to take them lightly.

harry247

Allen Oxlade (6)
Final score?

You know the scores from the 14's and 15's out at Trinity today?

S

sidelineview

You know the scores from the 14's and 15's out at Trinity today?

Waves 15As won 24-0; Waves 14As won 25-12

harry247

Allen Oxlade (6)
what do you think of Waverley's young talent coming through. there going to be tough in a couple of years

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Waverley 31 - Trinity 0

What a difference a year makes in schoolboy rugby. In the same game last year Trinity walloped the double-V and this year the favour was returned. Waverley was solid around the park and played good wet weather rugby, keeping it in close much of the time and kicking for field position when required. The four tries were relatively unspectacular but reward for the good work in the lead up.
It looked as though Waverley's preparation was the better of the two as the combinations seemed to be sharper across the park for Waverley relative to Trinity who, while manful were guilty of too much one-out running. Their kicking out of hand was also very bad - while this doesn't sound like much, on the type of day it was this skill was very much required. Trinity's lineouts were also an area that were exploited by Waverley the longer the match went on.
Waverley would be pleased with the result. Areas of improvement required, but on a slushy QP they played smart, disciplined rugby that suited the conditions and the tour and lead-up games have given them a good chance to test their combinations which appeared to be working well. The strong 2nd XV result shows that there is quite a bit of depth this year as well, while the opposite appears true for Trinity, for whom it could be a long season.
From the sounds of it Knox has size in the forwards, but the 2015 Waverley team has some pretty strong defensive players so it should be a cracking game next week - even better if it's a dry track.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Forecast looks good for next weekend . Think waverley is in with a good shot, but still very much underdogs.

Think the 2 biggest risks are complacency as that trinity team was very depleted. For a start the number 8 was throwing into the line outs, so that made waverley line outs look good.

The 2nd risk ... And probably the bigger risk is illdiscipline... Waverley won't beat knox with 14 players.

Take for example number 10 for waverley , played well and would suggest he is integral to the backline. So why then is he in the thick of the skirmish on the footage and then he chucks a ball (from the ground)at a trinity player, after a perfectly legit tackle!!

Anyway rate the Cornish / Maloney coaching combo ... Bit like good cop/ bad cop ... So reckon next week should be a cracker.

I think waverley should be targeting knox 15 , think he is a weak link ... Least based on what I saw... Altgh I think I heard knox people talking him up ... So maybe I am wrong ...

cranbrookrugby

Bob McCowan (2)
It was a real close game both teams played fairly well aloys definitely deserved winners, a few changes might be needed for cranny with there number 8 having a shocker. full time score 15-11

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did anyone see the game? I would like to hear a bit of a review
@Cranbrookrugby said "Cranbrook have alot of fixng up to do, on the other side aloys could be in for a real good season with a strong scrum and a few big backs"

S

sidelineview

Forecast looks good for next weekend . Think waverley is in with a good shot, but still very much underdogs.

Think the 2 biggest risks are complacency as that trinity team was very depleted. For a start the number 8 was throwing into the line outs, so that made waverley line outs look good.

The 2nd risk . And probably the bigger risk is illdiscipline. Waverley won't beat knox with 14 players.

Take for example number 10 for waverley , played well and would suggest he is integral to the backline. So why then is he in the thick of the skirmish on the footage and then he chucks a ball (from the ground)at a trinity player, after a perfectly legit tackle!!

Anyway rate the Cornish / Maloney coaching combo . Bit like good cop/ bad cop . So reckon next week should be a cracker.

I think waverley should be targeting knox 15 , think he is a weak link . Least based on what I saw. Altgh I think I heard knox people talking him up . So maybe I am wrong .

I'd hazard a guess and say Cornish is too shrewd and experienced to allow his players to get cocky over that win against a team that didn't play well.

Were we watching the same video? Waverley's 10, Tyzac Jordan walked towards the skirmish to pull his players away and got in the middle to break it up. The Waves players will need to be disciplined and controlled to have any chance of defeating Knox, but the number 10 won't be the biggest risk.

Waverley's Justin Cooper leapt to win 4 line outs from Trinity's throw ins. Maybe the throw ins weren't too good from Trinity, that's a good point, but to match it with and get the better of Liam Rasch at the line out is no mean feat.

If the Knox fullback is Leo Bosch, he's a quality player; nowhere near a weak link.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)

I think he thought he took a big shove somewhat after the whistle, and that he needed to return the ball to his opponent;) If you turn the volume up you can hear it, ref saw it all and decided to play it cool. Incidently, thought the ref did a great job, he controlled a tough game, earlier he sent the two number 1's from the field [not shown in the highlights, but it occurred not long after the fracas at 2:36]. But you are right about discipline, when Trinity had no 12 yellow carded towards the end [blatant off side at the breakdown] they had no hope of keeping the scoreline looking even slightly competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.