• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

Waverley should keep playing with a hard edge but need to learn how to "manage" the Referee..& work with them in a game.not against them.
This week's game v Knox will be a great test of Waverley's discipline and ability to keep focussing on the game plan. Knox will remember how they lost their discipline last year at Q.PK and are unlikely to lose focus again.
Go Waves.

Spot on

benson13

Bob McCowan (2)
Probably no need to defend the kid when he is not being attacked. Sounds like more of an observation more than anything.

I'm pretty sure he got dropped last year for a couple of games back to the 16's for those reasons (or another).

Anyway, sounds like a good game from the boys at QP.

You obviously don't know the kid, or not as well as you think you do. As I said, he has matured a lot as a player. Kids do mature as they grow older; I know you already knew that.
He has pushed the boundaries with his niggle in the past, but he had his mind well and truly on the job yesterday. A bit of niggle is OK if it results in a penalty to your team but a player needs to know how far to go and keep control himself, otherwise it backfires on you.
Don't get mixed up about the difference between arrogance and confidence. Sometimes it can be a fine line especially with young people but there is a difference.
He's been punching above his weight for a while now (metaphorically speaking). He's not the biggest kid on the field and never has been but he isn't scared, so the 'one day he'll bite off more than he can chew' has already come true. He still competes. As a smallish 15 year old he competed against well developed 18 year olds all last season; and he wasn't stuck out on the wing somewhere. He played fly half where a lot of the traffic is. I didn't see him take any backward steps.
If he wasn't willing and aggressive to a certain extent you'd be bagging him for not having a go.
Anyway, have a look at the video and work it out yourself. If he was an aggressor in that skirmish yesterday I'll eat my hat. I'll eat yours too.
I thought he had a good game yesterday. He played smart. So did all the Waverley backs.

S

sidelineview

Probably no need to defend the kid when he is not being attacked. Sounds like more of an observation more than anything.

I'm pretty sure he got dropped last year for a couple of games back to the 16's for those reasons (or another).

No he didn't get dropped for any reason last season. He played every game in the firsts except for the first one.

He's got a good record playing 1sts for the Double V and doesn't need his reputation sullied by some faceless goose making stupid, irresponsible, grossly exaggerated comments.

You just showed how misinformed gossip starts.
Yes, he was being attacked but lets drop it now.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wow ... there is information on the CAS website!

going to be some great head to head match-ups ... in the Knox v Waves

On paper Knox have the big guns

3 biggest names would be:
Knox 13: Joe Williams NSW 2nd XV in 2014
Knox 6: Lachlan Swinton NSW Shadow XV in 2014
Knox 7: Harry Chapman u16 NSW 2013

How they fare against:
Waves 13: Jake Smirnotis ...a kid who was good enough in year 10, but sounds like he has been focussed on his basketball
Waves 6: Zac Cardassilaris ... a leaguie with Junior Roosters
Waves 8: Justin Cooper ... CAS Rep

X factor from Knox: Stenning (11/14)

X factor from Waves: Dion Narayan (11/14)

Battle of the play makers Tyzac Bailey (10) v Leo Bosch (15?)

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Wow . there is information on the CAS website!

going to be some great head to head match-ups . in the Knox v Waves

How they fare against:
Waves 13: Jake Smirnotis .a kid who was good enough in year 10, but sounds like he has been focussed on his basketball
Waves 6: Zac Cardassilaris . a leaguie with Junior Roosters
Waves 8: Justin Cooper . CAS Rep

It should be a great game. I think there is a perception that the strength of Knox will be their forwards, that of Waverley in the backs, but I think both teams are more balanced. Ignore the 'weaker' part of each side at your peril.

With the sides Williams is 12 and their 13 is Armstrong. Armstrong is deceptively strong and I think may be an Australian (or at least NSW) 7's player. Their 7 is M Basson. Chapman the 8 and captain.

Is the Waverley 10 Bailey their fullback from last year?

With your two x-factor players, whoever has their kicking boots on may decide this game.

S

sidelineview

It should be a great game. I think there is a perception that the strength of Knox will be their forwards, that of Waverley in the backs, but I think both teams are more balanced. Ignore the 'weaker' part of each side at your peril.

With the sides Williams is 12 and their 13 is Armstrong. Armstrong is deceptively strong and I think may be an Australian (or at least NSW) 7's player. Their 7 is M Basson. Chapman the 8 and captain.

Is the Waverley 10 Bailey their fullback from last year?

With your two x-factor players, whoever has their kicking boots on may decide this game.

He was formerley Tyzac Bailey but changed his name to Tyzac Jordan, although it was incorrectly listed in the Waves programme last Saturday as Bailey.

He played the first couple of games last season as fullback then moved to 10 and stayed there.

It should be a great game. I'm not sure how evenly matched the teams are; we'll have to wait and see, but it could come down to tactics and discipline. Penalties and mistakes. How dumb or smart each team and individuals play.

Memo to Waverley players: don't argue with the Ref, you won't win and it will go against you. It can upset a positive attitude within your team. Just cop it sweet and focus on playing footy and stick to the plan.

Brian Jones

Bob McCowan (2)
Should be keen to watch this big blockbuster. Its reminds me of the State of Origin. The might of the Toads and the strength of the roaches. Will defiantly be down at 3.15 for the big game but the 2's should be as entertaining as the NEW YEARS EVE firework show. Tries left fright and centre.
Cheers Jonesy

S

sidelineview

Wow . there is information on the CAS website!

going to be some great head to head match-ups . in the Knox v Waves

How they fare against:
Waves 13: Jake Smirnotis .a kid who was good enough in year 10, but sounds like he has been focussed on his basketball
Waves 6: Zac Cardassilaris . a leaguie with Junior Roosters
Waves 8: Justin Cooper . CAS Rep

There should be some good match ups across the park.

Knox's 12 (or is it 13?) James Armstrong has been getting good raps. i'm not sure if he will be up against Jake Smirnotis or a very under rated player (IMHO) in Waverley's 12 Tom Fuller. I'll be very interested to see how these two (Fuller and Armstrong play).

Goal kicking will no doubt play a big role in deciding the final score as mentioned before. Dion Narayan has been kicking well and i'm not sure who kicks for Knox but Leo Bosch is a proven sharp shooter.

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
My prediction- no matter what the result there will be serious excuse making and wringing from supporters of the losing team. I don't suppose it is possible that the die hards would acknowledge that if team x wins it is simply that and not a reflection of the intrinsic superiority of boys who happen to attend school x . Does Queenslands streak in the State of Origin signal greater team spirit guts and determination or a combination of well coached skillful players and not much more?

S

sidelineview

Should be keen to watch this big blockbuster. Its reminds me of the State of Origin. The might of the Toads and the strength of the roaches. Will defiantly be down at 3.15 for the big game but the 2's should be as entertaining as the NEW YEARS EVE firework show. Tries left fright and centre.
Cheers Jonesy

I agree: the 2nds game should be a cracker as well. If anyone is thinking of watching the 1sts play, it would be worth getting there a bit earlier at 2.00pm to watch the 2nds game as well.

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
An interesting question and I have no idea of the answer. At the risk of being tangential - I wonder why until recently when Ed Cowan made the Australian Test team there had been no private school cricket test players from NSW for a very long time. Ed Cowan was a Cranbrook student. This is in stark contrast to the situation in rugby.

Brian Jones

Bob McCowan (2)
Is Henry Patterson playing for Waverly? Strong player from last years 1st XV. I didn't see him playing in the game against Trinity. Anyone able to clarify this?
Injured? Left School?

Lineup14

Stan Wickham (3)
Who does anyone think is the quickest player in the competition this year? From speed on the field I would say stenning from Knox, but I always find it interesting how much difference track running times are and people who don't appear fast on the field end up being very handy sprinters.

Peabody

Herbert Moran (7)
anyone know out of the six schools which one has had more Australian school boys representatives?

The ASRU website states Waverley 29 Knox 18 Cranbrook 14 Barker 13 Trinity 12 Aloysius 3.

Possible contender this year the Knox number 6 (Swinton). Any other nominations?

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
One thing of concern from the Knox/ Barker game came about from a perusal of the program. I was surprised at the lack of teams Barker had. In some age groups they only fielded four sides. That wasn't the case a few years back. The team numbers at Knox seemed to have improved from a few years back, perhaps the effort spent on their Rugby program is showing some benefits.

But I do wonder what is being done, or to the point, not done in some of what are considered the rugby nurseries.

Status
Not open for further replies.