• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

Would be also interested in the changes in the Trinity team line up vs Waverly to the team which took the field against Knox. I understand there were a number of players returning from injury??

Trinity Round 1.

1. H. McLennan
2. D. Pham
3. A. Nguyen
4. A. Tonkin
5. L. Rasch
6. P. Filipo
7. C. Molla
8. J. Wayland
9. H. Gregory
10. R. Siteine
11. A. Connolly
12. J. Morris
13. S. Tuitavake
14. K. Payne
15. R. Longville

It was a bit hard to gauge McLennan's performance vs Waverley. The team didn't fire on the day and he got carded twice. I don't know if he was frustrated on the day or if he's got form being carded.

brownie24

Stan Wickham (3)
A Captain being carded?? i don't think the team was fired up at all , but yes silly frustration lead to cards being handed. If i was coach of Trinity (which i am not, its my own view) i would have someone else like the No. 10 as captain. Or James Wayland. Yes he is year 11? but still has a high level of Captaincy experience and from what ive seen this year very very well disciplined.

blindsideflanker

Allen Oxlade (6)
Trinity Round 1.

1. H. McLennan
2. D. Pham
3. A. Nguyen
4. A. Tonkin
5. L. Rasch
6. P. Filipo
7. C. Molla
8. J. Wayland
9. H. Gregory
10. R. Siteine
11. A. Connolly
12. J. Morris
13. S. Tuitavake
14. K. Payne
15. R. Longville

It was a bit hard to gauge McLennan's performance vs Waverley. The team didn't fire on the day and he got carded twice. I don't know if he was frustrated on the day or if he's got form being carded.
This was the team listed vs Waverly but Filipo and Nguyen pulled out on the morning of the game due to sickness and injury and the team was severely disrupted. They had to use the Number 8 Wayland to throw in the line outs and the team never got going. Not saying they would have won on the day but two key players missing shows Trinity has very little depth and will struggle if any of their top players goes down. Against Knox was the first time,including their trial games that they've had their full squad available

blindsideflanker

Allen Oxlade (6)
This was the team listed vs Waverly but Filipo and Nguyen pulled out on the morning of the game due to sickness and injury and the team was severely disrupted. They had to use the Number 8 Wayland to throw in the line outs and the team never got going. Not saying they would have won on the day but two key players missing shows Trinity has very little depth and will struggle if any of their top players goes down. Against Knox was the first time,including their trial games that they've had their full squad available[/quote
Trinity vs Knox
1- Wayland
2- Nguyen
3- Filipo
4 Tonkin
5 Rasch
6 Molla
7 Pham
8 Mcleland
Same backline vs Waverly

Gilly

Herbert Moran (7)
This was the team listed vs Waverly but Filipo and Nguyen pulled out on the morning of the game due to sickness and injury and the team was severely disrupted. They had to use the Number 8 Wayland to throw in the line outs and the team never got going. Not saying they would have won on the day but two key players missing shows Trinity has very little depth and will struggle if any of their top players goes down. Against Knox was the first time,including their trial games that they've had their full squad available
Ok that makes sense. I was surprised with the difference between the 2 matches, will certainly be looking forward to the return match with Waverly if Trinity can hold their side together.

RollAway

Frank Row (1)
Something along the lines of:
1. Wayland
2. McKenna
3. Knox 3
4. Knox 4
5. Swinton
6. Cooper
7. Chapman Capt
8. Basson
9. Cranbrook 9
10. unsure
11. Stenning
12 & 13 Knox pairing
14. Diamond
15. Bosch

I'd go:
1. Wayland (T)
2. McKenna (W) or Nguyen (T) - If reaches last years form
3. Hill (C)
4. Nowlan (A) or Stenmark (C)
5. Swinton (K)
6. Cooper (W) or Filipo (T)
7. Chapman (K)
8. McLennan (T) or Basson (K)
9. Really not sure, Hayes (A) or Knox 9?
10. Sitiene (T) or Jordan (W)
11. Narayin (W)
12. Williams (K)
13. Lawson (A) or Armstrong (K)
14. Diamond (A)
15. Longville (T) or Bosch (K)

S

sidelineview

I'd go:
1. Wayland (T)
3. Hill (C)
4. Nowlan (A) or Stenmark (C)
5. Swinton (K)
6. Cooper (W) or Filipo (T)
7. Chapman (K)
9. Really not sure, Hayes (A) or Knox 9?
10. Sitiene (T) or Jordan (W)
11. Narayin (W)
12. Williams (K)
14. Diamond (A)
15. Longville (T) or Bosch (K)
Throw the waverley 9 in the mix

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
Stenmark is very good. Cooper did play 2nd row last year so you could put him there to free up a back row position as well. I think Hill is injured isn't it? If fit, he should be there for sure.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Something along the lines of:
1. Wayland
2. McKenna
3. Knox 3
4. Knox 4
5. Swinton
6. Cooper
7. Chapman Capt
8. Basson
9. Cranbrook 9
10. unsure
11. Stenning
12 & 13 Knox pairing
14. Diamond
15. Bosch

I'd suggest that Rasch from Trinity Grammar will be a strong contender and will be looking to stake a claim for 4 or 5

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I think the CAS 1sts will have a good strong forward pack. The baacks mix will be interesting. Whether they go for proven combinations or best for the position will make things interesting.

This week:

Aloys vs Knox

Knox should win, but they have struggled a bit at Willoughby recently and Aloys knows how to play them. That said, Knox would have got a bit of a wake-up last week so could come out with fire and brimstone.

Trinity vs Cranbrook

I can't see Cranbrook's season improving against an improving and dogged Trinity side. Cranbrook appears to be able to attack, but have defensive issues. Trinity also needs to improve in attack - their forwards are capable of building the platform, but the team lacks a little potency. Need to use their full back more.

Waverley vs Barker

One would think Waverley comfortably. But I thought that last week with Knox versus Trinity. Barker's last game wasn't good and while they may be improved tomorrow, Waverley in this one.

brownie24

Stan Wickham (3)
My Team for CAS 1st XV
1. Wayland (T)
3. Hill (C)
4. Margin (K) or Rasch (T) or Stenmark (C)
5. Swinton (K)
6. Cooper (W) or Filipo (T).... Possibly Basson (K)
7. Chapman (K)
9. Rhett butler (K) or Tyzac Jordan (W) - Both were the CAS halves for 16's
10. Dainton (A)
11. Narayin (W)
12. Williams (K)
14. Diamond (A)
15. Longville (T)

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
My Team for CAS 1st XV
1. Wayland (T)
3. Hill (C)
4. Margin (K) or Rasch (T) or Stenmark (C)
5. Swinton (K)
6. Cooper (W) or Filipo (T).. Possibly Basson (K)
7. Chapman (K)
9. Rhett butler (K) or Tyzac Jordan (W) - Both were the CAS halves for 16's
10. Dainton (A)
11. Narayin (W)
12. Williams (K)
14. Diamond (A)
15. Longville (T)
Dainton out with a season ending knee injury.

Bad boy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Dainton out with a season ending knee injury.
Predictions of no Barker boys in CAS 1st plus them coming last and not doing to well in all other grades makes you wonder what the person who left at the end of last year to take up a position at Churchie had been doing in terms of rugby development at Barker. As I said before he was getting paid a lot of money to develop the program and had no teaching timetable.

Blackdog

Bob McCowan (2)
CAS selections issues are at 9 and 10. Having seen Knox, Barker and Trinity, Siteine (T) has been solid without being a game breaker. Thought Dainton (A) would have been the choice but sounds like his season is over. Elsewhere, Longville (T) was clearly ahead of Bosch(K) for the 15 job last weekend. If fit would have Stenning (K) in my side on the wing as well.

S

sidelineview

CAS selections issues are at 9 and 10. Having seen Knox, Barker and Trinity, Siteine (T) has been solid without being a game breaker. Thought Dainton (A) would have been the choice but sounds like his season is over. Elsewhere, Longville (T) was clearly ahead of Bosch(K) for the 15 job last weekend. If fit would have Stenning (K) in my side on the wing as well.

I agree. It will be interesting to see how the 9s and 10s from each team go in today's games. They always have a better chance to impress when their forwards are dominating or at least holding their own.

I saw the Trinity 10 play against Waverley but he didn't impress in a beaten team. He didn't look bad but he didn't look good either. I take your word for it that he's looked solid in other games.The Waverley 9 and 10 played their roles well that day.

Against Knox the Waverley 9 played a reasonable game under the circumstances but the Knox 9 gave quick service behind a dominant forward pack that maintained possession. The Waves 10 went off injured in the first half.

Last week against Cranbrook the Waverley 9 had a good game but would have had more opportunities had the Waverley forwards maintained possession better. He likes to go for his darting runs from the rucks and sets up play effectively. The Waverley 10 had a very good game. IMHO I wouldn't consider the Cranbrook pair for ÇAS selection although I haven't seen their regular 9 play.

When assessing the 9s and 10s their ability to defend should be taken into account as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.