• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

I think the selectors have made some incorrect decisions particularly in the backs in both the 1s and 2s. Agreed Smirnotis shouldn't have been anywhere near selection and was probably picked on reputation. How Armstrong (K) wasn't the obvious choice for #13 in the 1s is also beyond me (unless he is out injured, I am unsure). Slaven is a very good player but he should probably have been picked on the wing.

The exclusion of Mcniven (C) from either of the sides I also thought was rediculous. He's been close to the form #12 of the Comp (behind williams) and was crucial to the primership winning side last year.

I also expexted Stennjng (K) to feature somewhere considering his goal kicking is near flawless as well. And the other waverley winger and fullback I thought deserved a shot somewhere.

Waverley's fullback Mohi made the 2s. The ''óther Waverley winger" Yoannidis must have been very close to being selected.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
I am not hear to argue clearly there has been a misinterpretation of what I meant. Noregrets said "Yoannidis did a great job of shutting down Diamond" I took this as meaning he was making excellent one on one tackles not just making the initial hit then having assistance. By the way do you get gratification from attempting to insult others down? Typical Waverley boy not smart enough to try and understand the context of a comment
I like how you ask if he enjoys putting people down but then you go and do exactly the same thing!

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
Both Armstrong and Stenning are still out injured. Both are aiming to be back for the Waverley game on 13 June.

Dontreachyoungbloods

Allen Oxlade (6)
McNiven unlucky in my opinion. Moving Swinton into the 2nd row has probably cost Stenmark a spot.
To my eyes Swinton is playing a much more traditional tight five 2nd rowers game than last year and is very heavily involved in rucks and mauls, whereas often Margin and Begg are playing wider in attack. I think the 2nd row is the right spot for him in the CAS teams, but agree that that may have cost others a chance.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
CAS Selections
On first pass I think the selectors have done an admirable job picking the 1st and 2nd XV’s and the reserves.
It’s never easy and initial thoughts change as players and teams develop. Throw in some key injuries and you find the team you thought you had nutted out after 2 rounds looks pretty different to that team that is finally selected.
Winning form is usually good form so it is no surprise that Knox and Alloys have good representation at the expense of individuals at both Cranbrook and Waverley.
Combinations play a part as well. I for one have been impressed with the Barker front row (all year 11 lads) and thought that they would be a shoe in for the CAS 2nd team with some burly locks from other schools giving them some extra grunt that has been missing from their school team this year.
But with injury to Tian Stals (Barkers hooker) that theory gets thrown out the door. Selectors have gone with Tim Anstee (B) Anthony Nguyen (T) and Alexander Rathie(C), all quality players as individuals in the hope that they can form a combination that will withhold the onslaught that the GPS and CHS lads will throw at them.
The locks and back row pick themselves. I think Will Stenmark (C) was unlucky not to make either team but from the CAS 1sts perspective, Swinton, Margin, Basson, Chapman and McLennon give the coach the cattle to really take it to GPS forwards this year.
The backline is another area where combinations have probably been thought of but eventually discarded in favour of individuals. The back 3 of Diamond (A) Longville (T) and Navagan (W) have speed and size and really give the CAS 1st XV some strike power this year.
Matt Hayes Alloys () and Bruce Thompson (B10) have been playing brilliantly all year and deserve their selections. The centre pairing of Williams (K) and Slaven (A) has its critics, but I am sure the selectors were conscious of the fact that neither Knox nor Alloys have had 40 points scored against them this year, so defensively these boys have muscled up and got the job done and so deserve their spots.
The fact that McNiven (C) did not make either squad is perplexing as he has not put a foot wrong but unfortunately is playing in a team that has yet to win a game.

Good luck to all the boys on Thursday against CHS at Cranbrook.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
CAS Selections
On first pass I think the selectors have done an admirable job picking the 1st and 2nd XV’s and the reserves.
It’s never easy and initial thoughts change as players and teams develop. Throw in some key injuries and you find the team you thought you had nutted out after 2 rounds looks pretty different to that team that is finally selected.
Winning form is usually good form so it is no surprise that Knox and Alloys have good representation at the expense of individuals at both Cranbrook and Waverley.
Combinations play a part as well. I for one have been impressed with the Barker front row (all year 11 lads) and thought that they would be a shoe in for the CAS 2nd team with some burly locks from other schools giving them some extra grunt that has been missing from their school team this year.
But with injury to Tian Stals (Barkers hooker) that theory gets thrown out the door. Selectors have gone with Tim Anstee (B) Anthony Nguyen (T) and Alexander Rathie(C), all quality players as individuals in the hope that they can form a combination that will withhold the onslaught that the GPS and CHS lads will throw at them.
The locks and back row pick themselves. I think Will Stenmark (C) was unlucky not to make either team but from the CAS 1sts perspective, Swinton, Margin, Basson, Chapman and McLennon give the coach the cattle to really take it to GPS forwards this year.
The backline is another area where combinations have probably been thought of but eventually discarded in favour of individuals. The back 3 of Diamond (A) Longville (T) and Navagan (W) have speed and size and really give the CAS 1st XV some strike power this year.
Matt Hayes Alloys () and Bruce Thompson (B10) have been playing brilliantly all year and deserve their selections. The centre pairing of Williams (K) and Slaven (A) has its critics, but I am sure the selectors were conscious of the fact that neither Knox nor Alloys have had 40 points scored against them this year, so defensively these boys have muscled up and got the job done and so deserve their spots.
The fact that McNiven (C) did not make either squad is perplexing as he has not put a foot wrong but unfortunately is playing in a team that has yet to win a game.

Good luck to all the boys on Thursday against CHS at Cranbrook.
Well said! McNiven probably the unluckiest of the lot. Like you say though, being in a losing team may have hurt.

Who are the goal kickers going to be in each team? Narayan (Waverley winger - size???) will probably kick for the 1sts but who in the 2nds?

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Goal kickers are a worry. That said I am not up to speed on the strengths of each schools kicker. I heard the lad from Knox was good and of course Diamond kicks for Alloys but he is hardly a Hasm El Masri. And they do come in handy a reliable kicker. Just ask the Barker 1st XV.

S

sidelineview

Sorry but since when has rugby being a one-on-one game. How can the fact that you've seen a single photo with more than one person making a tackle, give you the impression that he struggled controlling him? You've played rugby before yes? Watched a game? If someone is making a tackle on a ball-runner, the next closest defender isn't going to switch off and turn a blind eye, he will join the contact, try drive backwards, pilf the ball once the ruck has formed or whatever. Back over the bridge mate, Alloys supporters emerging out of everywhere for the first time since 78'. Lol

He was just asking for a bit of clarity.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
^^^
Longville kicked 3 conversions from 3 attempts on Saturday,2 of which were from the sideline.

That's true. He kicked well the Trinity lad. Now I think of it I would have Longerville(T) kick in preference to Diamond (A) and I would also ensure that Thompson (B) practices his field goals.

Open Side

Bob McCowan (2)
Injuries seem to have disrupted selectors plans particularly in Backlines selected for CAS 1s and 2's.But hard to understand how Smirnotis made it given form shown this year. Poor hands, poor defense, low ball retention. Waverley winger Yoannides kept coming in off his wing on Saturday to make the tackles that should be made by the big 13. McNiven (12) from Cranbrook should have been included and is very unlucky IMO.Hope he gets late call up.
Aloys Fullback Tom Dunlop had a great game v Waverley and perhaps he could have been given a run as a winger if considered behind Longville & Bosch at 15. Unsure if guys like Armstrong and Stenning (Knox) will recover in time for the 2nd CAS game v GPS. If so, then they will likely go into 1sts.CHS will be tough and GPS will be even tougher.

Status
Not open for further replies.